illu45's comments
illu45  ·  125 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

Carcassonne is super fun! I like to play with the variant that everyone has a "hand" of 3 tiles and you draw one at the end of your turn. That way you have more options (for increased strategy) and you can think about your turn ahead of time.

veen  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ohh good one - only now that you mention it do I recall playing it like that years back. Thanks for the reminder!

illu45  ·  126 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

Is that one still a Target exclusive? I think it was when it came out, but not sure at this point. It might also be worth checking out the Dice Tower's 12 Kids' Games of Christmas video. It's somewhat geared towards dexterity games, but there are some good other ones there too.

KapteinB  ·  125 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, I wouldn't know. I saw it in a book store here in Norway.

illu45  ·  142 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Carlsen’s Bizarre Decision Has Sent The World Chess Championship To Overtime

The only odd thing about the draw was that Carlsen didnt play on until move 38 or 39. Carlsen knows that he's a strong favourite in the tiebreaker. All he had to do was draw all the games in the classical time control. Carlsen was playing black. He had a strong position, but nothing obviously winning. Why take a chance on things going awry in the classical when you're an 80%+ favourite in the tiebreaker? He knew Caruana would be highly pressured to draw if he offered. The draw wasn't good for chess, but it was good for Carlsen.

Devac  ·  142 days ago  ·  link  ·

What kind of continuation would you have in mind for Carlsen? Best I could think of – which wasn't much, I got to it this morning – basically perpetuates the 'draw with advantage' that this game had ended on.

EDIT: Here's my best attempt so far:

32. Nh3 Bd7

33. Ng5 Rfc8

34. Bf1 Qd8

35. Be4 Qc7

It's a tough one.

EDIT2: Corrections were made. Sorry.

illu45  ·  155 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

I think that the first time you have sex is likely to be an awkward fumbling affair no matter how old you are.

Foveaux  ·  155 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely - I just remember thinking (along with my other mates) that it was something you had to get done ASAP. The second time was so much better because I didn't feel any "pressure" to do it, which I think was exacerbating the awkwardness.

illu45  ·  156 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: So apparently I can promote users now. What are my guidelines?

Wait, I must have missed something. Hubski has tiered userbases now?

Devac  ·  156 days ago  ·  link  ·

Since around March IIRC, likely earlier. Until you complete your first hubwheel (those circles next to the your username on navbar) and earn your first badge or get promoted by someone or someone will badge your comment you are forbidden from posting (no +post on navbar) and can't promote other users.

illu45  ·  156 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

Usually just shared common areas (kitchen, living room etc.) although the walls between bedrooms aren't usually very thick.

Foveaux  ·  155 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah that's not too bad then. Thin walls are no surprise though. Had to deal with that in my youth too!

illu45  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What does Hubski know about Indigo children?

Heh, I thought about that joke too. My reaction when he mentioned his "gift" was to laugh, because I honestly thought he was joking (not about being able to read people, but about it being a "gift").

darlinareyousleepy  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·

(Insert NPC meme here)

I talked to a guy on the subway once who was convinced that he was given a gift from God that let him know what people are like inside after spending 15 minutes with them. Yeah, I also read people. Sometimes it doesn't even take me 15 minutes.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Are like inside"

Meat. Flesh. Bones.

Incredible.

illu45  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·

darlinareyousleepy  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·

(Insert NPC meme here)

illu45  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
illu45  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

We have a lot of space and no people so... welcome!

This is only true outside of major city-centres, though. If you want to live in Vancouver or Toronto, for instance, you'll need to be prepared to spend a lot of housing.

elizabeth  ·  157 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel that’s true for all major cities in the world. But as a country we have PLENTY of space. Especially in the Atlantic Provinces. They have a pilot immigration program right now where if you get literally any job and live there for 2 years they grant you a permanent residence status.

illu45  ·  198 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes as He Reaped Riches From His Father

The podcast version is a pretty good listen. Nothing particularly surprising, but the forensic accounting is pretty neat, IMO.

Absolutely.

Video game violence continues to be a topic of debate, for better and worse. Recent studies continue to show that it's possible that violent video games have some impact on the brain and/or body, although most recent studies also suggest that playing violent video games doesn't have much of an impact on real-world behaviour. As the article says, Bushman is still last-authoring studies about video game violence. Most of the studies with Bushman's name on them suggest links between violent video games and aggression. Quite a few have had errata published about them. That's obviously concerning, although not being a cognitive science person, I have no idea how standard (or non-standard) errata are in that field. FWIW, Bushman isn't the only one whose name comes up in studies that link violent video games to aggression.

Measuring things like "aggression" will always involve some level of subjectivity. How you define "aggression" can have a significant impact on your findings. Is it increased cortisol levels? Where people aim if asked to shoot a gun with rubber bullets? What words people choose if asked to complete a story? Each of these offers an incomplete picture of aggression, at best, and pretty much any good study on this topic suggests that more work needs to be done.

illu45  ·  268 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The ugly scandal that cancelled the Nobel prize

Fair enough

illu45  ·  268 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On the battle between food critics and restaurants

Fun article, if a bit longer than it needed to be (too many examples of restaurants trying to make things super-shiny for critics IMO). My partner is a manager at a big retail chain. C-levels occasionally like to make "unannounced" visits to random stores to see how things are going. Days before the C-level's flight arrives, managers know about the visit and are working crazy overtime to clean things up.

I mean, I see your point, though I would argue that the asshole levels between being stupidly dismissive of American writers and raping someone are significantly different.

Odder  ·  268 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was referring more to all the drama than the assault tbh.

illu45  ·  268 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fair enough

Damn, I was really looking forward to volleyball on Friday night.

I also got a kick out of this:

You know, God spoke to me and told me ‘go check out the Blood Moon’ back in June.

He said ‘you need to find out what’s going on’

You'd think that if anyone didn't need someone else to find out what's going on for them, it'd be God.

bfv  ·  268 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe it's God's version of telling freshmen about the swimming pool on the roof.