illu45's comments
illu45  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

I think that the first time you have sex is likely to be an awkward fumbling affair no matter how old you are.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely - I just remember thinking (along with my other mates) that it was something you had to get done ASAP. The second time was so much better because I didn't feel any "pressure" to do it, which I think was exacerbating the awkwardness.

illu45  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: So apparently I can promote users now. What are my guidelines?

Wait, I must have missed something. Hubski has tiered userbases now?

Devac  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Since around March IIRC, likely earlier. Until you complete your first hubwheel (those circles next to the your username on navbar) and earn your first badge or get promoted by someone or someone will badge your comment you are forbidden from posting (no +post on navbar) and can't promote other users.

illu45  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

Usually just shared common areas (kitchen, living room etc.) although the walls between bedrooms aren't usually very thick.

Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah that's not too bad then. Thin walls are no surprise though. Had to deal with that in my youth too!

illu45  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What does Hubski know about Indigo children?

Heh, I thought about that joke too. My reaction when he mentioned his "gift" was to laugh, because I honestly thought he was joking (not about being able to read people, but about it being a "gift").

darlinareyousleepy  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

(Insert NPC meme here)

I talked to a guy on the subway once who was convinced that he was given a gift from God that let him know what people are like inside after spending 15 minutes with them. Yeah, I also read people. Sometimes it doesn't even take me 15 minutes.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Are like inside"

Meat. Flesh. Bones.

Incredible.

illu45  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

darlinareyousleepy  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

(Insert NPC meme here)

illu45  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
illu45  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

We have a lot of space and no people so... welcome!

This is only true outside of major city-centres, though. If you want to live in Vancouver or Toronto, for instance, you'll need to be prepared to spend a lot of housing.

elizabeth  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel that’s true for all major cities in the world. But as a country we have PLENTY of space. Especially in the Atlantic Provinces. They have a pilot immigration program right now where if you get literally any job and live there for 2 years they grant you a permanent residence status.

illu45  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes as He Reaped Riches From His Father

The podcast version is a pretty good listen. Nothing particularly surprising, but the forensic accounting is pretty neat, IMO.

Absolutely.

Video game violence continues to be a topic of debate, for better and worse. Recent studies continue to show that it's possible that violent video games have some impact on the brain and/or body, although most recent studies also suggest that playing violent video games doesn't have much of an impact on real-world behaviour. As the article says, Bushman is still last-authoring studies about video game violence. Most of the studies with Bushman's name on them suggest links between violent video games and aggression. Quite a few have had errata published about them. That's obviously concerning, although not being a cognitive science person, I have no idea how standard (or non-standard) errata are in that field. FWIW, Bushman isn't the only one whose name comes up in studies that link violent video games to aggression.

Measuring things like "aggression" will always involve some level of subjectivity. How you define "aggression" can have a significant impact on your findings. Is it increased cortisol levels? Where people aim if asked to shoot a gun with rubber bullets? What words people choose if asked to complete a story? Each of these offers an incomplete picture of aggression, at best, and pretty much any good study on this topic suggests that more work needs to be done.

illu45  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The ugly scandal that cancelled the Nobel prize

Fair enough

illu45  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: On the battle between food critics and restaurants

Fun article, if a bit longer than it needed to be (too many examples of restaurants trying to make things super-shiny for critics IMO). My partner is a manager at a big retail chain. C-levels occasionally like to make "unannounced" visits to random stores to see how things are going. Days before the C-level's flight arrives, managers know about the visit and are working crazy overtime to clean things up.

I mean, I see your point, though I would argue that the asshole levels between being stupidly dismissive of American writers and raping someone are significantly different.

Odder  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was referring more to all the drama than the assault tbh.

illu45  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·

Fair enough

Damn, I was really looking forward to volleyball on Friday night.

I also got a kick out of this:

You know, God spoke to me and told me ‘go check out the Blood Moon’ back in June.

He said ‘you need to find out what’s going on’

You'd think that if anyone didn't need someone else to find out what's going on for them, it'd be God.

bfv  ·  115 days ago  ·  link  ·

Maybe it's God's version of telling freshmen about the swimming pool on the roof.

illu45  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Chefs of Hubski. What are some of your favorite vegetarian dishes to make?

Shakshouka with Feta. Super easy, delicious, and quite customizable.

Good gifts are ultimately personal, so it's hard to give general advice. For guys who wear dress shirts to work, a set of metal collar stays can be a great inexpensive gift if they don't have some already. Household items like Dryer Balls can be nice. Things that aren't necessities but add convenience can be good gifts--something like a Chromecast or an Echo Dot. Ultimately, though, it really depends on what the person is into.

illu45  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How's Hubski's Starcraft II presence? Do you play?

Never got into Starcraft. I used to play Age of Empires 2. Even watched some high-level tournaments. I was never a big fan of the emphasis on micromanagement in competitive RTS games, though (which is also why I never got into MOBAs). It seems to mostly be about who can click the fastest to exploit small glitches or gain small advantages.

Merlin  ·  117 days ago  ·  link  ·

AoE is a classic. Great game. It took me a little bit to get into Starcraft because of exactly the same reason! There is micromanagement but it does go alongside macro gameplay. It took me a while to really understand how to play the game. The learning curve for me was a beast. But I can say that Blizzard really has their ranking system worked out though! It didn't take many matches to get put in a reasonably competitive bracket when I started.