Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
iammyownrushmore's comments

If anyone wants to read more on this, Gerry Shih wrote a series of articles in Dec of last year on the presence of these camps and the backlash that sends some Uyghurs into extremist groups that commit acts of terrorism or seek asylum in ISIS-held territory.

Chinese mass-indoctrination camps evoke Cultural Revolution

China’s Uighurs grapple with pull of extremism

In western China, thought police instill fear

The detainees had to criticize and be criticized by their peers. One by one, they would also stand up before 60 classmates to present self-criticisms of their religious history.
Very Cultural Revolution

A Turkey-based TV station run by Xinjiang exiles said almost 900,000 were detained, citing leaked government documents.
900,000 people in "re-education camps"
iammyownrushmore  ·  596 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Denying Genetics Isn’t Shutting Down Racism, It’s Fueling It

Me: "Huh, this is an interesting topic that I have strong feelings about and some amount of experience. I have yet to really read a reasonable and diligent take on besides criticism of Charles Murray-esque work. I'm far-left leaning but in no way a science denier so maybe I can get through this and give it some more thought"

[liberals believe] All differences between men and women are a function of this social effect; as are all differences between the races.

A bit brusque, and the author is probably conservative but whatever.

Rightists believe that human nature is utterly unchanging; conservatives tend to see the world as less plastic than liberals, and attempts to remake it wholesale dangerous and often counterproductive.

The fuck.

I want to note first that I know many of the figures involved in this heated debate — most recently, Charles Murray, Sam Harris, and Ezra Klein — and respect each of them a great deal.

???

by Andrew Sullivan

GODDAMMIT

Sorry, this comment is private.

I always assumed it would be something like earned income tax credit, or supplanting existing welfare models. I don't think your arithmetic accounts for that, and assumes that every working class person would receive a UBI payment, but maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

Like, why would I, for instance, with my full time job and decent income, get a basic income on top of that? The answer to your question, for me, has always been: I would get taxed and it would go to those out-of-work or under the poverty line, and I would be able to take advantage of that if I were in either of those two categories.

You can go one of two ways: You can give it to the people who can't earn enough to not need it. let's make it a nice livable number like $30k. That's half again more than SSDI, which averages closer to $1100 a month. I know a guy trying to live on $1100 a month; it ain't pretty but regardless, where does the cutoff happen? 'cuz it's gonna be a cutoff. And at that cutoff, there will be a big angry discontinuity between "low-end job" and "job not worth taking" which will of course go to non-citizens who can't qualify for UBI. If UBI gets you $30k a year, what kind of job would you take for 38? 40? 50? 70? If you can scrape by doing nothing for $30k or work 90 hours a week filing TPS reports and spending three hours in traffic for $60k, are you still going to do it? How 'bout $90k? How 'bout $120k?

Or you can go like the Alaska Permanent Fund where everybody gets $2,072 a year. And where everybody pays $9 for a Big Mac combo meal. The APF basically pays the price difference of a big mac a day... much like the price of a popcorn and a coke is pretty much the price of a movie ticket.

Your understanding of UBI isn't dissimilar from welfare - we make enough to not want to qualify for it. But we can all agree, I think, that UBI is supposed to be more than welfare. It's supposed to be more than the pathetic food stamp existence we expect our poor to grovel for. And if I'm an employer paying my employees $50k a year, and the government is suddenly giving them $30k to stay home, how can I not be expected to raise my salaries to $80k a year? And by the way, I'm paying tax for that $30k to stay home, both business and personal, right? So really, if I'm an employer I'm now paying an additional $60k to keep every $50k employee working.

UBI is a system of wealth redistribution. I think everyone can agree on that. it's the nitty gritty that gets ugly, and that's usually where the UBI proponents start shining it on.

iammyownrushmore  ·  776 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment - The Washington Post

Why isn't what they termed a militia back then what the police are now? I know that technically they did exist back then, in a very different scope, but does the modern day incarnation fulfill the role they were imagined to have?

Like, I don't really understand what the nat'l guard does, or the intricacies of on-the-ground state authority, so maybe therein lies a misunderstanding.

We'll make you a parallel, privately-organized organization that, if you meet certain requirements, gets certain law enforcement perks like range times, discounted ammo, training, reserved frequencies for coordination, and an org chart that law enforcement or the military can interact with?

I mean, this seems like a reasonable solution on paper, but I grew up with some of the people that would swoon over this opportunity, and those are the last people I would want reacting in a stressful situation armed to the teeth. I can only imagine an incompetent, y'all quaeda, blackwater-esque group that has police connections? I would hope it just gets their war boner off but some fuckers are gonna take it too far. Anyone allied with the OPD in that manner would be immediately highly suspicious to me.

I mean, Katrina was bad enough, and already had issues with overuse of violence, but then to have a bunch of dudes bristling with mall ninja shit, thinking they are the authority roaming around?

Also, this shit scares the hell out of me. I don't think that this particular event is anything other than situational. but giving it a veneer of legitimacy is troubling.

iammyownrushmore  ·  786 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Does anyone know anything about personal finance stuff?

I am most assuredly not, nor do I support this for anyone.

coffeesp00ns  ·  832 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's too bad his machine didn't end up killing the fascists. Instead he and his messages have been forgotten.

iammyownrushmore  ·  835 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Does anyone know anything about personal finance stuff?

Me neither, I've never had a use and now it's all suddenly very relevant.

I've head good things about MMM, forgot to make sure and check him out again, thanks!

Hey Ref, thanks for the re-direct.

I definitely have an emergency fund now :)

I've perused around that subreddit article, the situations they cite don't quite fit for me, but the linked info and boggleheads article was helpful for sure, and the biggest takeaway is that I still need to take my time and do some reading.

Like, at this point I don't totally understand what an EFT is so I need to do my own research, but that seems to be one of the avenues that keeps being brought up, so your recommendation is helping my push in that direction.

_refugee_  ·  835 days ago  ·  link  ·

I also am a big fan of the MMM (Mr Money Mustache) blog when it comes to handling personal finance.

ETFs (sorry, typo in my original post) - my understanding is their main benefit is that they can be very passively managed, "stick your money in and forget it" sort of funds.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this sort of stuff myself. It interests me and I'd like to learn more about it - but having never received a windfall, that hasn't exactly been a realm of personal finance I've researched extensively.

iammyownrushmore  ·  835 days ago  ·  link  ·

Me neither, I've never had a use and now it's all suddenly very relevant.

iammyownrushmore  ·  836 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Does anyone know anything about personal finance stuff?

I totally understand, by better questions I mean I need to figure out like, "what can I do?" and also communicate my goals better (though clearly you can already tell I'm a bit lacking that department :) ). I'm glad the conversation here has gone in multiple directions cause what I want to do is def influenced by what I can do and people are bringing up a few things that I hadn't considered.

I see what you're saying about those seeming contradictory, I simply meant even if I choose to let it sit somewhere so I don't have to actively do anything, what is the best way for me to do that? Is an index fund the right way? What is a money market? Please don't worry about answering those, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the gaps in my understanding. Once I feel like I have a more solid footing, I will definitely be coming back to query the hive :)

Also, thanks for the response, I really do appreciate it!

Another "don't overthink it" observation:

Women typically outperform men when it comes to investing because they simply don't fuck with it so much. Most investment professionals will tell you to rebalance your portfolio yearly. Fucking with it every six months can do damage even if you know what you're doing. I mean, sure - have some money to play with (I play with fake money, real money is too dear) but leave that shit alone for the most part.

Much appreciated.

Everyone has been giving me the answer I needed to the question that was between the lines, which is pretty much "chill out, leave it alone until you feel confident about a decision."

I know my post is a little hot mess, I def wasn't expecting a concrete like "here's what you should do," but you're right that I wasn't even concise about what my end game is supposed to be. I appreciate you letting me know, I need to ask better questions.

goobster  ·  836 days ago  ·  link  ·

I appreciate you letting me know, I need to ask better questions...

Just to be clear, I am not calling you out for "asking a bad question."

My intent was to drive some self-reflection into your request, and inspire you to dig a little deeper into your thinking about what you really want to have happen with this money. I saw "just don't want to mess with it" and "best for me" to be somewhat contradictory requirements. The money markets are constantly changing, so "best for me" is going to change over time. Possibly several times within a single year.

So by getting more solid about your goals with the money, you can also make the best use of the smarski's feedback and ideas... :-)

iammyownrushmore  ·  836 days ago  ·  link  ·

Also, thanks for the response, I really do appreciate it!

Another "don't overthink it" observation:

It's a bigger amount than "a bit" and I don't have any debt. I work with some very wealthy people so my context has gotten a bit skewed in the last few years.

I'm definitely glad you point to the article you did, I have already read it, but there were gaps in my understanding. So every time I read something built upon that one, I still feel like I'm playing catch-up and I don't like missing details. Which makes me thorough, but also a bit obsessive until I feel like I grasp it well.

Hey yellow, thanks for the advice.

For context, I am most certainly at the risk aversion step, I should have been a bit more descriptive. The easiest part of reading about personal finance was the first two steps you outlined, which I was able to fulfill. I got inundated when it just went a little bit beyond that, but your comments in that regard are still very helpful.

You very well could lose everything you give them. Just accept that if you're going uber risky. Think of the money as gone and everything else is a happy surprise.

I am not a gambling man, this is terrifying to me.

...so... allow me to temper this a little bit.

You've probably heard the phrase "blue chip stock." This is a known, trusted, predictable large company ("large cap") whose finances are stable. The company has been profitable for a long time and there's every expectation that it will continue to be. These companies, by virtue of being profitable, pay out dividends - every quarter, you get some amount of money per share you own.

Let's say you piled eleven thousand dollars into Ford on May 17. Why May 17? Because shares were $10.92 on May 17 which means now you own 1000 (ish) shares of Ford which is convenient for the sake of math. Right now, Ford is at $10.94. You've experienced a capital appreciation of 4 cents per share - if you were to sell all your Ford stock, you would have made forty whopping dollars. Congrats! But also keep in mind that three weeks ago, Ford declared a quarterly dividend of fifteen cents per share... which means you made $150 on your Ford stock without having to do a thing.

This is one of the reason people participate in the market. So long as Ford continues to make money, and so long as you continue to own Ford stock, you will continue to make money. You can sell that Ford stock at any time and you can do whatever you want with that money (within the tax regime it's invested in - if it's in a retirement fund, you'll pay heavy tax penalties if you pull it out before you retire).

Ford (for example) is not much of a gamble. Some crazy penny stock biotech firm? That's a gamble. You don't buy it because it's going to pay you fifteen cents a share. You buy it because there's an off-chance GlaxoSmithKline will buy it and double your money. Of course, if GSK doesn't buy it, you're shit out of luck because that stock will go to zero appallingly fast.

This is the sort of stuff it's worth reading about. Fundamentally, there are alpha gains and beta gains within the market. Beta gains are the rising tide that raises all ships - people wouldn't participate in the market if it were a zero sum game; everyone benefits just by investing in companies that will probably be profitable. Alpha gains are money you make above and beyond whatever the market is making. Alpha gains are zero sum - for every dollar you make above the beta, someone else makes a dollar below.

Alpha gains are speculative. Beta gains are straight boring investing. Be boring. Be cautious, be careful, be slow, be steady, and be boring. Over the long run you will make money so long as you don't fuck around like a jackass chasing wall street. You will lose.

Here's twelve High Frequency Trading houses tossing Merck orders at each other for ten milliseconds.

dublinben  ·  836 days ago  ·  link  ·

All this being said, a mutual fund based on an index like the S&P 500 is more diversified, and therefore less risky than any single equity. If you are afraid of "gambling" in the stock market, just park your money in a low cost passive index fund, and let it grow.

Yes and no.

A NASDAQ ETF right now is mostly exposed to Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Microsoft and Google. All of those stocks have insane P/E ratios. They're actually more prone to shock than something boring like 3M.

But

A diversified index fund covering lots of boring stocks is largely bombproof.

A 3X inverse ETF is based on an index and is about as stable as plutonium.

Either way, an ETF based on a long portfolio of dividend - paying stocks will pay a dividend. In many cases, particularly where the market is at, the dividend performance outstrips the appreciation performance.

rthomas6  ·  832 days ago  ·  link  ·

What do you think about a Russell 3000 ETF? That and small-cap value ETFs are where I have most of the stock portion of retirement.

Boy. I don't know that I can even say anything useful. I don't know that anybody can. My personal strategy is to find a lazy portfolio, backtest it, make sure I understand the way it moves and make sure I think it'll fare okay from what I understand of the geopolitical climate for the amount of time I expect to hold it.

Which basically says I'm macro AF, and that I disregard everything but fundamentals. It's probably about as conservative as you can go and I've definitely given up some gains that way. But it's what I understand, and what makes me feel like I have a reasonable sense of cause and effect.

I think the stock market is deeply overvalued and headed for a correction. From a macro sense, from a fundamental sense, a Russell 3000 ETF does not strike me as a good value at the moment. But that's my take, my tea leaves, my entrails, not yours.

OftenBen  ·  832 days ago  ·  link  ·

Purely a butt-in:

I have a few grand of employer matched contributions in a TIAA account, since there is a 'correction' incoming, would that money be safer somewhere else?

Prolly not. If you know what that fund is invested in you could do your own research. I'm nobody's investment counselor.

user-inactivated  ·  836 days ago  ·  link  ·

I mean, you could always just keep it. You'll just be losing the real value at the rate where inflation outstrips your savings interest rate.

As always, much appreciated. I needed someone to tell me to just chill out and take my time.

Set a timer. I'll do it often.

The classic argument is that if you missed the 5 best days since 1993 you'd have passed up on most of your gains. The argument made less often is if you missed the 5 worst days since 1993 you'd be fuckin' killin' it.

Miss the 5 best days: $10k to $38k instead of $58k.

Miss the 5 worst days: $10k to $90k instead of $58k.

And then they usually say "so you should be invested all the time because we're business majors and can't do fucking math."

I feel you, but I also live in the SF bay area. I still can't really afford to put a comfortable percentage down on a house, and even if I could, housing around here seems very unnatural, so it freaks me out.

Houses that were less than 100k 6 years ago are easily half a million now and that's spooky to me.

Isherwood  ·  836 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh yeah, that sounds sketchy as hell. Every time I think of SF bay I think of towns like Flint Michigan - the height of living during the american car craze, falling as far as they rose left them shattered. It just seems weird.