iamducky's comments
iamducky  ·  714 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Social Isolation Is Killing Us

"Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone. " -- Vonnegut

iamducky  ·  734 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What So Many People Don’t Get About the U.S. Working Class

Hey guy! I actually just finished today (thus exponentially increasing my hubskiing). How have you been?

someguyfromcanada  ·  734 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am good thanks. Already finished? That seems really early to me. Must feel good to have that milestone crossed off the list. Congrats!

iamducky  ·  735 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What So Many People Don’t Get About the U.S. Working Class

Not gonna lie, I somewhat posted this to trigger kleinbl00. But I also think it is worth reading to understand the mindsets involved in justifying Trump.

One little-known element of that gap is that the white working class (WWC) resents professionals but admires the rich.

I think this is key to understanding why his supporters vote against themselves. America's white poor "see themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires". This mindset has been played to again and again by Republicans. Trump has just taken it to its logical extreme. This idea corresponds with conversations I've had with Trump supporters, many of them idolize the wealthy. That's part of why racism flourishes: they need someone to blame, and it's not going to be the 1%.

Progressives’ obsession with prioritizing cultural issues infuriates many Americans whose chief concerns are economic

He's almost describing something I agree with but he's missing something key: most people's "economic views" are a whole lot more subjective than they'll admit to. The obsession with the "welfare queen" on the right is very telling in this regard - it's bullshit but it sounds right... if you want to blame brown people. It's worth pointing out that many people feel like economics were their reasons, but the author flops by not going past that self-justification. The actual sentence should read

Progressives’ obsession with prioritizing cultural issues infuriates many Americans who claim their chief concerns are economic but are actually just also cultural issues in disguise

Not gonna lie, I somewhat posted this to trigger kleinbl00.

Achievement unlocked! =)

Did you catch this one?

iamducky  ·  1029 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 162nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

THE LIFE OF PABLO

user-inactivated  ·  1029 days ago  ·  link  ·

honestly, i didn't feel the album. but i also think that we shouldn't be so hard on this album, even though it took about roughly 3 years, because this album was really about celebrating his own success. but going into it i didn't realize that and that has left an overall distaste but im sure it'll eventually fade away

ButterflyEffect  ·  1029 days ago  ·  link  ·

Are there people being hard on this? I've only listened to the 11 track version of The Life of Pablo, but this seems like another great Kanye album to me. Haven't seen much about it being a celebratory album but I have been reading a lot about Kanye referring to this as a gospel album and there certainly are a lot of biblical references in TLOP. I prefer it to Yeezus, for sure.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1029 days ago  ·  link  ·

Going to check that out later!

iamducky  ·  1037 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 161st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Bob Dylan - Mr. Tambourine Man

Naughty by Nature - O.P.P

iamducky  ·  1062 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Powerball Simulator
am_Unition  ·  1061 days ago  ·  link  ·

Aw, you beat me to the joke. Sorry guys.

iamducky  ·  1084 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Got a 35 on my ACTs!

Got a 36! In English & Reading ;)

Math/Science, not so much.

nowaypablo  ·  1084 days ago  ·  link  ·

DUDE! CONGRATS!! So your composite must still be solid overall, and if you have the time I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to 36 it all around since yoire clearly capable.

iamducky  ·  1094 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ASK HUBSKI: What was your favorite album of the year?

I gotta say Teens of Style because I've been addicted to Car Seat Headrest all year, but Carrie and Lowell was amazing too. I thought it was little bland when I first listened to it, but seeing him play it live totally changed my opinion. Sufjan is absolutely amazing live.

iamducky  ·  1094 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The 1000 day club -Are you in it?

Hey look at that, I just passed 1000. Guess I came around the same time as _refugee_ and ButterflyEffect, although obviously I don't quite hang around as much (sadly!). Maybe I'll get reinvolved and come up with something fun to post when I join the 1500 club.

iamducky  ·  1097 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Penis Transplants Being Planned to Heal Troops’ Hidden Wounds

Funny coincidence: I'm reading The Sun Also Rises right now. This would've made the story a little bit shorter!

iamducky  ·  1100 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is the story behind your username?