hyperflare's comments

I got to see this when I was in London. It's beyond cool to be able to see the stone in person.

hyperflare  ·  970 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear Hubski, what language do you speak?

Do you guys do student exchanges? My school used to do it, but the US students' German was all but non-existent.

galen  ·  970 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sort of? We have a relationship with the University of Freiburg where we exchange one professor and one upper-level student to intern with each school's language department, and every other year we have a group that goes and studies at Freiburg for a semester.

Tarquinius? What'd he write, I don't remember him?

(Ovid is the worst roman author though)

veen  ·  970 days ago  ·  link  ·

For my Latin high school Central Exams (which is like a bossfight version of a final that you need to pass at the end of highschool about everything you've learned) our year's topic was Livy's Ab Urbe Condita. Some texts are about Tarquinius the Arrogant, and on those Central Exams we had to translate a text from Livy about Tarquinius concerning Lucretia's suicide. Fitting text, as I also wanted to stab myself in the heart in that moment.

That being said, I often find it difficult to explain certain concepts in Russian in real-life conversations since I mean to use an on-point English phrase to describe it, then stumble as I realize that I can't and spends seconds trying to find the appropriate Russian phrasing, which almost always comes out odd because I apply English structure and lexical equivalents to Russian.

Oh god, I know that feeling! Luckily most of my friends have that problem, too.

Wow, lots of you guys speak German, I'm surprised. I thought the only people that learned German were the French and Finnish, lol (Dutch people don't count, they're basically Germans anways :P).

I can speak German and English, understand a bit of Russian, and I did Latin as a "major" in school. I always joke that I learned more about German in Latin class than I did in German class, but it's true, really. Grammar and syntax are just so much clearer to me thanks to the systematic approach you take to translating these ancient texts. It's also handy for etymology!

And a bit of french, of course. You gotta understand your neighbors, right? :)

Devac  ·  965 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can add Poles, it's the most common choice for a third language (obligatory in junior and proper high school). It usually leaves a lot to be desired, but when talking to people under 30 you can bet that much more know basic German rather than Russian as their third language.

elizabeth  ·  970 days ago  ·  link  ·

Any tips on learning German? I'd like to move to Berlin for a year,and have a base before that.

German's next on the list!

ThatFanficGuy  ·  969 days ago  ·  link  ·

You speak Russian. You'll be fine with German. Just keep your mind open on the genders: they're much more important there. Think of it as невозможность назвать кошку мужчиной, а кота - средним родом.

elizabeth  ·  969 days ago  ·  link  ·

Will do :)

hyperflare  ·  993 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 27, 2016

A ghost town in Germany (if there are even any; I'm just wildguessing).

There's probably a few in the east, or places that will soon be demolished for open pit coal mining.

That said, all I see on wikipedia are troop exercise places.

Wow, this has been a perfect week. I'm basically all-around happy :)

hyperflare  ·  993 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Boardgames!

Personally, my favourites are games you play with a big group of people - my all-time favourite "board" game is werewolf.

Say you have ten people. Two or three of them would be werewolves, while the others are innocent villagers. Each turn the werewolves cull another villager, and the villager have to vote to execute somebody. Of course, since the wolves pretend they're villagers themselves they try to throw a spanner into the works. There's some special villagers that can gain information on who is a wolf and who isn't, but the meat of the game is in the execution discussion, which are always hilarious.

Since I'm usually the game master it's also the best way I know of learning people's names ;)

magicjespa  ·  992 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is the best game experience I've ever had! Discovered it on a youth exchange in Germany some years ago and it's just so much fun. I really enjoy that it's very inclusive and that so many people can join. The discussions and accusing your friends is the funniest part. :D Definitely good for those late summer nights. Can't wait to play it again :)

hyperflare  ·  993 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Which web browser do you use/like?

Firefox alll the way. Well, chrome with some shady VPN for netflix, but that's kaputt now so I haven't used that a while.

I'm not a fan of giving google more power than it already has - but the main draws for firefox is still the modularity of the thing.

hyperflare  ·  993 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TIH: April 28, 1789- Muitny on the Bounty.

why is this mutiny so famous? It's a funny story (how everyone seemed to find that tiny island!), but at first glance I thought this had something to do with Darwin's ship (which for some reason I thought was the Bounty, not as I just looked up the Beagle.

francopoli  ·  993 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Bounty was among the last real mutiny on the open seas in the age of sail. As such, it attracts a bit of nostalgia and "look back at the past" sort of storytelling. Within about 50 years of the Bounty, Wind driven ships were falling aside to steamboats. And, in my mind the real factor, the captain of the boat survived and made it back to tell his tale. That and the books became popular, then 4-5 movies were made which keeps the story alive.

hyperflare  ·  998 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Woman Uses VR for the First Time and Loses Her Shit over Zombies.

Wow. Jesus. Haven't seen someone as freaked out from a video game in a really long while. Oddly enough, I've only seen girls in such a state so far. Are guys too masculine/macho to show their fear and/or post it online?

Every guy I know is probably blasé about shooting zombies, because videogames.

Foveaux  ·  998 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah Left 4 Dead has left me unphased by zombies coming at me. Games like Dark Souls though, that has my heart beating and I'm peeking round every corner. I squeal and the whole house knows it ain't manly.

hyperflare  ·  999 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear hubski, what would you like to say to your 17 year old self?

Opposite of street cred - nerd cred?

swedishbadgergirl  ·  999 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes. I am filled with nerd cred. Every pore of my being is flowing over with nerd cred.

I

hyperflare  ·  1000 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TIH: April 21, 753BC- According to tradition, Rome is founded.

Sieben, fünf, drei - Rom schlüpft aus dem Ei!

[Seven, five, three, rome hatches - it's supposed to rhyme]

A cutelittle rhyme we learned in latin class to remember this date by :)

hyperflare  ·  1003 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Best way to brew in aeropress

Amazing how much effort people can spend on optimizing something I don't even think about. Let's swap notes later ;)

(Aeropress is the best for making coffee! Best thing I ever imported from the US)

hyperflare  ·  1003 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A suggestion

following a tag: click the tag, or open it's url or whatever. There should be a "follow #tag" link just above the first displayed post.