humanodon's comments
humanodon  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Is Left on Hubski?

Name: Rico

Location: Library

Age: Drinkin'

Current Preoccupation: I don't really want to get a Ph. D, so why are so many things in my life pointing to a Ph. D?

veen  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

Things are always pointing to a PhD if you're doing anything in academics. I got reaaal close to doing one, but ended up letting it go. Not all ladders are for all to climb.

lil  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hi Rico!!

humanodon  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Add to this list—— Songs about flowers ——

humanodon  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Oma died. I’m beside myself with grief.

Hey pal, so sorry to hear about this. It's clear from the link that your Oma did her share to create the kind of community that anyone would be proud to live in. What an example to set!

humanodon  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

Nuts. I liked chatting with cgod (though infrequently), particularly about music. Really great taste in music, in my opinion. Turned me on to a whole lot of great stuff.

humanodon  ·  241 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 25, 2018

I defended my thesis. I am told by my committee that they're willing to work with me to get it to publishable standard and that they are interested in supporting my development of a theoretical framework. According to them, I've done 80% of a possible dissertation, with another subsection of my thesis showing promise for the development of a separate paper.

I'm still broke though.

humanodon  ·  259 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I am 2000 days old

Oh, I thought you were going to bust out into that song from Rent

blackbootz  ·  259 days ago  ·  link  ·

and 600 miiiinutes

humanodon  ·  263 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 27, 2018

Things are chugging along. Looking for a new job, trying to tie up loose ends; adult life maintenance shit-- you know how it goes.

Well, I don't blame you for feeling guilty for not suffering. That's kind of a weird space to be in. But hey, lucky you for finding this other person, I hope it works out.

Cumol  ·  263 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I wish you all the good, in that long and strange life... :)

humanodon  ·  264 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 27, 2018

It's like some movie from the early 2000's. Cue contemplative piano music!

Hey man, how are things at the moment for you?

Cumol  ·  264 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am doing good. I guess.

Focusing on work. The next few weeks will be action-packed with a conference and burn later this month.

It might sound weird but I am falling in love, really hard. On one side I am feeling guilty that I am not "suffering" and that I am not sad like my ex. But on the other I am happy to have met such a wonderful person.

Sarah decided to cut all communications yesterday, and I can understand her. It makes me sad though...

How are you doing?

humanodon  ·  263 days ago  ·  link  ·

Cumol  ·  263 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you. I wish you all the good, in that long and strange life... :)

humanodon  ·  315 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Paralyzed.

Hey there,

I understand that this is a complicated situation. I won't pretend to understand all of what you're going through, but I will say that I've confronted the question of abortion. Unfortunately, more than once. All I can say is, each time I made it very clear that if she were to have the child that I would do my best to be the father that the child deserves. On the other hand, on each occasion I also made it very clear that I was nowhere near the man that I needed to be in order to be that father. I think that those conversations were well-received because I didn't put the focus on myself or my well-being, but on the future that the child might have. To be honest, I still wonder sometimes how my life might look if things had been different. Either way, I know that each time the woman was agonizing as much as I was and I think that in sharing my worries and by hearing what she had to say that we were able to find a way forward that worked for us. I think that in the end, the best that you can do for yourself is to do the best that you can by her. Life is long and weird, and strange. There are plenty of questions that we can't know the answer to until much later. As you're only human, be as human as you can. Maybe there will be opportunities for better outcomes as the situation emerges, but that's only possible if you're able to engage in the situation together. I don't mean that you should stay together, just that the lines of communication stay open. Anyway, I wish you the best man, that's a rough road ahead.

humanodon  ·  367 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 21, 2018

Well . . . dating sucks balls but . . . there's worse things in the world than spending a bit of time with a kind, patient, talented person. Have you checked in to see how she's feeling about things? That might clarify or affirm things that you're noticing about your own reactions (or non-reactions).

humanodon  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 14, 2018

This is great!

humanodon  ·  376 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reddit and the Struggle to Detoxify the Internet

No one has asked me to board a handbasket just yet, but maybe I'll get an early check-in email closer to the date . . .

humanodon  ·  379 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: How do you guys work to avoid engaging in gossip at work?

"Spiders in space". I dig that It really captures my feelings on what to do with this degree at the moment, but I guess that's something that happens when finishing a degree. Actually, I think that's a problem endemic to linking the literatures of various disciplines. Anyway, while it is a bit exciting that there's so many new social dynamics emerging, the question of how to study these things and then what to do about/with them is a bit daunting too.

If I were you? I'd read me a bunch of Sherry Turkle. I got a lot out of the four books I've read and I'm an amateur.