francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  105 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

Very poor seeing and we need to clean the optics, seal and grease some gears, rebalance the main optical tube, resolve a finicky tracking error and then I have to git gud with the processing and cleaning of images.

First Mars of the 2018 opposition. Hoorah.

francopoli  ·  112 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Husbki, any fitness goals you're striving towards?

Don't die so fast. Everything else flows from that.

katakowsj  ·  112 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well said.

I'm all about slowing my inevitable decline too. My Dad had a spinal cord injury when I was 15 (July of 1989) that left him quadriplegic from age 42 until his passing at age 62. As a result, I've never taken my own mobility and fitness lightly.

francopoli  ·  141 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 2, 2018

Weird fucking week here.

I had to get a HepA vaccination. I go to the place, verify paperwork, verify medical history, wait my turn. They take me back to the room and in walks a kid. This gal looked 18, maybe 19. I figured that she was an assistant or other low-level employee to check me in and ask all the medical and allergy stuff before the nurse came in. Then I saw her badge. BSN, RN, APRN. Holy shit. This "kid" has 10+ years of schooling and residency in letters after her name! Assuming starting school at 17, this puts her no younger than 26-28 range. Now, I hate this chick because I have scars older than her and now I feel bad about myself for being old. After the shot, I mentally added two years to her age; she was great with the injection, nearly perfect.

So yea, I'm "that age" now. Fuck.

In other heath news, I'm all but fucked. I'm giving up sugar, grains and starches for as long as I want to remain upright. I am definitely insulin restive but lacking the main markers of full on fuck-you-motherfucker diabetes. Giving up all the junk food, sugar, Chocolate (and that one hurts) has made the numbers move into the "You ain't dead yet" direction. And for the first time in for-fucking-ever? I'm losing about a pound or two a month. I should be losing more. I fast for 80 hours and shit my intestines clean and gain weight. Something they don't tell you about a Keto style diet is the other secondary changes that happen. Think about all the people you know that have trouble waking up in the morning. My working idea on this meme is that the standard western diet is mostly starch and carbs, and 8-9 hours after your last meal you have a major crash in insulin, blood sugar, etc. Those of you that have gone through the "keto flu?" I'm wondering if people are going through that every morning.

I'm sleeping marginally better now. I'm waking up better, not as good as I should, but better. My brain is de-fogging. And those fucking numbers are moving. So physically getting better; mentally pissed off and angry.

francopoli  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RE: OB's Heart

As someone going through health shit himself, my view is that every breath I get to make is a giant "Fuck you" to the universe. I'm in this for the long count. As an American, you gotta be your own advocate. get the data from each doc, make a folder, keep everything, and demand your medical records. If you skip over to a new doc, one that will listen to you, you will have all the charts to hand them.

Most doctors, IMO, are data nerds at heart and love to see info and test results. Even when shit does not make sense, if they see a puzzle, they want to solve it. The tricky part is fining a doc with 1. the time 2. the motivation 3. the "I still Give A Shit" drive and latch onto that doc like a parasite. Not getting an answer is a pain in the ass, but we gotta stick with it and hope for something to tick.

One positive out of today's appointment, I won't be having the transplant discussion for a while it seems. Sick, but not sick enough.

Awesome. Keep that out about 10-15 years and you will be talking about stem cell organ regeneration and shit. You'll make mk's week.

OftenBen  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish I had that kind of spine.

For anybody listening, this is sage advice. A pattern I have followed for time immemorial.

I am fortunate, I have (no hyperbole) world-class physicians who have literally written the paper on this disease. Their offices are practically next door to one another and they talk regularly. The unfortunate part is the that I don't fall within the scope of any of their models. Purely based on measurements and what has been recorded, I should have died twice. Nobody is exactly sure how I am able to pump enough blood to stay conscious. I don't have an answer myself.

You know that line in The Matrix about how 'there are levels of survival we are prepared to accept' ?

There are levels of survival I am not prepared to accept. I hate to be morbid about it, and it angers my loved ones, but there are levels of survival I do not find acceptable.

The minute that we can grow me a new heart from scratch, or seed a ghosted organ with my tissue, sign me up. But I don't plan on taking one from 'The List.' (Caps and scare quotes intentional)

francopoli  ·  248 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wish I had that kind of spine.

Through a series of twists, turns and "What the fuck just happened?" something amazing has dropped in my lap that I hope to announce.... soonish. For the first time in a long while I have a goal, a mission and people cheering me on. Kinda weird to type that out, even weirder to be living it.

Sounds like you are either stronger than you think or you have shit that you have not yet done and need to stick around long enough to finish it.

TIME THE FUCK OUT HERE PEOPLE.

But it requires customers to be comfortable with a smart lock controlled by Amazon and with an Amazon-connected camera monitoring the inside of their home and communicating to the cloud.

So Amazon wants a camera inside your house that sends, I will assume video, to "the cloud." And what happens where someone at Amazon gets bored and starts accessing this data looking for naked women? Or if the NSA, DHS, DEA comes knocking with a national security letter?

I refuse to have an Alexa, Google Home, Nest any of that shit in my house. It's bad enough that I have a fucking cell phone listening and doing god knows what with that data.

Devac  ·  330 days ago  ·  link  ·

Being naked or doing anything else (includes, but is not limited to, existing) within the view of the Amazon camera if you aren't Amazon employee is a violation of the terms of service.

That was almost too easy. I should become a lawyer.

francopoli  ·  433 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy Saturday Hubski. Have a black bear with a fresh catch.

IN news that is not shit, I spent roughly 4 hours under the warm muggy air of the Ohio Valley last night with a telescope that barely functioned. I finally figured out what the bastard was up to (gearbox needed lube and the tube mounting was upside down so it was not tracking at all) and got somewhere along the lines of 400GB of raw data to process. The moon stuff is fucking amazing considering the skies were mediocre at best, and the Saturn stuff I got is probably the bet yet. Might get around to posting images today, but I really need to stay in bed and sleep off this migraine I have.

The Telescope is now working fine and a happy member of the family. I'm going to drop $500 on a new planetary camera once the eclipse circus is over.

user-inactivated  ·  433 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oooh. Give me and Dala a shoutout when you post those pics.

francopoli  ·  432 days ago  ·  link  ·

Turns out I have a 12 year old Flikr account with nothing in it. Since Flikr does not do any compression Fuckery with the photos like Imgur does I think I am going to put together a nice, happy, post to share Will tag you when it is up.

user-inactivated  ·  431 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks bro. I look forward to them.

francopoli  ·  471 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shake it up. Offer up one somewhat unpopular opinion that you hold.

Since just about all of these are tame and float around the edge of the hive mind, what the hell, I'll go.

I am significantly more socially conservative that most of the people of Hubski. And since that term has been bastardized by the religious loons, let me explain. "Social Conservative" in my definition is the preservation of the family unit as an anchor for a strong neighborhood, city, state and nation. One of the main roles of the government should be the strengthening and preservation of the family unit through taxation policies, welfare, health spending and social safety nets. Kids need two parents. Having a child as a single parent is foolish and selfish. The children of single parent families, both single moms and single dads, fare far, FAR worse in adulthood than children of two parents. It is turning out that even homosexual couples together in stable relationships raise kids that are just as good as straight couple. Data is still incoming but it is starting to look like two parents don't care about the dangly bits only that both parents are involved and in the kid's life. No Fault Divorce was a mistake, and alimony should go away; it's not the 1950's where women leave the workforce for a few decades to raise kids and have no job prospects any more. We as a society are far too sexually promiscuous for our own good as well and STD's that should have been on the ropes are making comebacks.

The government should move away from "marriage" and more toward a "civil union" model so that the religious and traditional people can get a marriage and have that mean what they want. Everyone going into a union should be forced to have a counseling session with a lawyer and draw up a pre-nup, have it explained that "marriage" is not a wedding and is in fact a major fiscal and legal binding agreement. The marriage chapels in Vegas will go out of business, or will have to change to make this happen, and nothing of value will be lost. Having watched gay friends go through the legal hoops needed to protect them selves in a way a straight couple can by walking into a courthouse really drove the point home to me that this agreement adds over a thousand legal and economic protections that are taken for granted by most of us.

There are only two reasons for a couple with kids to get divorced. One, physical violence. If you are getting beat up, get out. Period. Second, adultery. If they are willing to lie and cheat on you once, they will do so again, and that is not right to force someone to live with another person who disrespects them in that manner. Everything else, if there are kids in the marriage? Either wait until the kids are adults or do what everyone else has done for centuries and work it out and deal with your problems like adults.

Adding onto this, welfare should reward families for staying together. Right now, welfare may not be designed to break up families but that is the end result of our social spending. Instead extra money should be given to to bolster in-tact families. Mom and dad still together with the kids? Use Section 8 housing to put them in an abandoned house instead of in the projects and use the extra money to encourage the family to improve the house. Keep the mom and dad together, help them get through the tough time so the kids are less likely to go to jail, do drugs, and be a drain on the taxpayer in a decade. I'm not sure if there is a way to structure the social safety net to discourage out-of-wedlock births, but that is something that needs to be looked at with a serious lens. If you are a single parent, you should get less welfare and benefits. Working the welfare system in such a way that it demands intact families will lower the prison pipeline, make the schools more stable, lower teenage crime and reduce underage drinking and teen pregnancy. Also I'd like to see an end to school busing programs and a return to neighborhood schools. Find a way to make school funding work better so that the schools in poor areas suck less. One thing I see here is that they bus the kids a hour across town and then the parent, some of whom work two jobs and don't have a car, can't go to the school, talk to the teachers and otherwise can't get involved. This leads to a devaluing of an education in the home. If the school in the in the neighborhood, however, families can see it as a real thing to anchor the area and not an abstract babysitter "over there somewhere." Removing busing in some parts of the country are going to have to be followed up on changes to school funding, but its an idea.

Other than that? I don't care who you are banging. Gay people should be allowed to have the legal and financial benefits of marriage/civil unions. Want to sleep around a lot with lots of people? Go for it, just don't have kids unless you are in a stable coupling.

Oh, and visible tattoos and body modification are stupid. WTF is up with the idiotic nose ring thing? And gauges? Stop that shit.

oyster  ·  471 days ago  ·  link  ·

I very much disagree with the idea that two people who don't want to be married should stay together just for the kids.

Kids aren't stupid, they can tell if you're miserable and you sure aren't going to fake happy for a max of 18 years. Even if the parents don't dislike each other they are the child's model for a healthy relationship. If you want your child to have a healthy relationship in the future then maybe it's a bad idea to show them a loveless one for most of their formative years.

OftenBen  ·  466 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's hard to quantify, but what if children whose parents are in a loveless (non-abusive, non adulterous) marriage have better life-outcomes than kids whose parents divorced because they 'just weren't feeling it anymore?'

Law has to be written in ways that are supported by evidence, if we are to move forward.

wijagain  ·  471 days ago  ·  link  ·

First of all: thank you for posting what may be the only unpopular opinion on this thread. Someone said something interesting!

I think it hasty to draw policy conclusions based on descriptive statistics, there are so many nuances to quantitative sociology that would require further investigation to tease out. In fact, there is probably a limit to how well we can understand family structure and its effects on childhood performance from a quantitative standpoint because it's based on observational instead of experimental conditions.

For example, to what degree are we conflating marriage with some hidden or common causes? Perhaps the kind of people who make good parents are also likely to get and stay married (i.e., the selection effect), as is evidenced by underperforming children in stable step-families. Perhaps the quality of parents matters more than the marriage itself. Also, there is certainly an interaction effect between poverty and single parenthood that researchers are still disentangling.

I would be inclined to think the quality of a marriage overrides it's presence, but the data I've seen just doesn't make it clear either way. Even after admitting there is a lot we don't know about family structure and childhood outcomes, trying to determine the best course of action for an individual family from aggregate data commits the ecological fallacy. We cannot restrict divorce options based on statistical averages -- not only is that bad for the individuals involved but it's not necessarily better for society.

Removing no fault divorce seems like a recipe for disaster to me because it requires proving fault. This will return to us to pre-1970 condition of women being trapped in abusive marriages unable to prove their way out of them. Historically, women were successful in proving drunkenness, failure to provide, and to some degree later on, cruelty. Adultery and abuse, especially emotional abuse, were extremely hard to prove.

To your point about women's earning and job prospects, in fact to this date parental resources drop significantly after a divorce and job prospects for mothers are significantly worse for fathers after a divorce (on average, see my point above about ecological fallacies). One of the major contributing factors to childhood performance gaps in single parent households is the rapid descent into poverty brought on by single motherhood post divorce. If your logic is based on fulfilling a contract for the sake of the children, then a reasonable extension of that logic is that we should have child support (in either direction) in cases were divorce (wether fault or not fault) occurs.

As for the school bussing program, it might be unavoidable for a period of time because it turns out that school desegregation is still a major issue at the heart of many public school problems in the United States. Integration is one of the best ways to improve academic performance, but we never really finished integrating schools (even in states that skipped the whole separate but equal thing) because lots of white/middle class parents (understandably but possibly incorrectly) take a NIMBY approach to integration. This American Life has a great two-part series up on school integration that is worth a listen.

snoodog  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think that there is an excellent point here that "Incentives matter".

Welfare is currently designed such that married couples or even co-habitating couples are punished and given less resources to succeed. Its unclear if that was an intentional attack on the black family unit or just an unfortunate consequence but the destruction of the poor black family is one of the main consequences of that policy. This could be easily fixed by removing the marriage penalty from all government programs and actually proving a small incentive for two people to stay toughener and raise a child.

Just like incentives matter in welfare the do so in schools as well.

There is no Incentive for good teachers to teach at poor schools, and no incentive for good students to go to said poor schools so anyone that can just gets out and goes somewhere better. Because of this, schools naturally segregate. If no effort is taken to integrate them over time schools will segregate into rich schools and poor schools which also tends to mean white/asian schools vs black/Hispanic schools due to how wealth is distributed demographicaly in the US. Its a self reinforcing loop where if a school is on an upward or downward trend it will continue on that trend until it either levels off at the top or sinks to the bottom.

wijagain  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your point makes sense in regard to welfare, although to be honest I don't really know anything about it so take my agreement for what it's worth.

I agree school segregation is a self reinforcing loop, because school segregation is both a cause and an effect of income inequality (via geographic segregation). But we could short that circuit if there were the political will to put resources into creating incentives for local governments (it's very expensive), teachers and parents. In the FY2017 Obama budget proposal, there was originally a $120 million grant program for integration, which was eventually reduced by 90% to $12 million. Now Devos might cut that in the name of "school choice" -- a dog whistle for de facto segregation.

On the other hand, if we choose to follow political decisions (in this case, politically motivated legal decisions) like Miliken v Bradley and allow de facto segregation in schools, then we will never be able to have the equality of opportunity that would narrow the income and achievement gaps across races and prevent auto-segregation.

Another thing to consider is why we can't appreciate the inherit incentives of school integration: It appears to do a whole lot of good for a lot of kids. Integration leads to higher achievement in several subjects, especially for black students. Based on the research I've seen, there is little to no effect on white students' performance. I don't know of any other pro-equality public policies that minimizes loses as much as integration does. As for the big picture, the potential knock-on effects of reducing systemic inequality should provide a lot of long-term incentive for white communities to embrace integration. It's not a panacea, but there are a lot of reasons to be (cautiously) optimistic about school integration.

I think one, maybe not the only but at least one, reason we don't think about the inherit incentives of integration is that racism makes supporting integration politically toxic. Both white and black communities were widely opposed to integration in the 70s, and white families fought particularly hard to keep black students out of white schools. After that, white flight kicked in to avoid having to send white kids to predominately black schools.

francopoli  ·  466 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yea, sociology is a gong show at its best. Experimenting on human children is not something we should do, at all, in my opinion. Going through someone's pass and generating a representative sample to draw conclusions? Sure. But that leads to the next point you made.

For example, to what degree are we conflating marriage with some hidden or common causes? Perhaps the kind of people who make good parents are also likely to get and stay married (i.e., the selection effect), as is evidenced by under performing children in stable step-families.

Stable well adjusted people with the ability to correct and control their emotions will stay together in a marriage. These types of people will also do better at work. They will do better at raising their kids. So, is it the stable marriage that helps? Or is there a deeper core root cause? And I agree with this. And I think we should rework Welfare to help couples when they are down on their luck because working through the tough times is one way people bond. The counter to this is that the divorce rate skyrocketed in the 70's and 80's. Granted there were legal and societal brakes on divorce and annulments back then making the comparison to a kid in the 40's and 50's to a kid now.

It's not the 1970's any more and the courts take abuse etc very seriously. Each of the things you list are reasons for an "at Fault" divorce. It used to be legal to rape your spouse, after all. I've seen statistics that as many as half the divorces are a result of the couple not wanting to be married any more and no abuse, adultery etc taking place. I'm not linking anything in this reply because pick a number you want here and some think tank made that number happen. Even the fabled "half of all marriages end in divorce" is tricky; less that a quarter of marriages fail after 10 years and the longer you are together the more likely you are to stay together after marriage. Again, I am not saying the idea is simple, only that what we have now sucks.

If your logic is based on fulfilling a contract for the sake of the children, then a reasonable extension of that logic is that we should have child support (in either direction) in cases were divorce (whether fault or not fault) occurs.

The French pay on average about 3% more in income taxes that we do in the USA. With that they get a national health care system, paid maternity leave and government funded infant and toddler care. This is a problem that is fixable. We also need to stop shaming mothers for staying home with the kids while dad works. (And vice versa. If you want to see vitriol, go to a forum for stay at home dads) the thing about two parents is that back when things made sense, a parent went out and earned a living, the other parent took care of the house and kids and doctor visits and school needs etc. Now with all the appliances, and other modern machinery, the need to be a full time stay at home parent is not as labour intensive as it used to be, but, it may be much more mentally taxing. Just like the US economy has gone from physical work to mental work, so has parenting.

Busing is needed because of the way we fund schools. The schools are bad and failing because of the way we fund schools. Teachers do not get the respect they do in part because they do not earn enough to get better people into the pipeline. There are old crappy buildings that cannot get repaired due to funding issues. Teachers pay for their own supplies because of funding issues. The way we fund schools can and does depress neighborhoods. Changing the way we fund schools is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN in this political climate. Someone in here said it well: Beverly Hills, CA is not going to pay more taxes or surrender its existing real estate tax income to fund better schools in Compton and Watts. How you treat your schools now is what your tax base is going to look like in 20 years. Good schools lead to good citizens and employees, bad schools magnify the bad issues. Another big part of the school problem is that they are being turned into day care and babysitters and that is not right, either.

I freely admit that I have no fucking idea how to even start untangling this shit show.

Redlining and housing discrimination was a thing when I grew up. Catholics were not allowed to live in certain areas, Mexicans were not allowed to live in certain areas etc and this policy created areas where the schools did not have enough of a tax base to work on providing the core base of knowledge and discipline needed for kids to go out in the workforce and make a better life than their parents. We've lost sight of the core reason for a public education system. Davos, the retard in charge of the US Department of Education, only sees schools as a cash out and a taxpayer funded slush fund to be skimmed off and sent to her buddies. So it is going to be a decade at best before we can talk about fixing the issues.

francopoli  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

Place holder for a reply.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  470 days ago  ·  link  ·

So, you're saying that using one's body as a canvas is stupid? that what other people do with their own property bothers you so much?

What's your opinion on BDSM practices, both private and public?

francopoli  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

So, you're saying that using one's body as a canvas is stupid?

You body, your choice. But all actions have consequences and visible tattoos are a limitation on future options. I grew up that being told that only degenerates and military people got tattoos and have to fight that preconceived bias with people. In a professional setting, tattoos will make you less desirable of a hire. And I side on the thought that young people should not engage in behavior that limits future options if possible.

Here we have a saying "poor life choice theater" to describe some of the face and neck art people wear.

If that is your thing? Go for it. Just be aware that not everyone is going to be all into your wrap around neck tribal pattern or your hand tattoos.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

I find it entertaining that you didn't reply to the BDSM question. I feel like it exposes your thoughts in the matter - those of inacceptance of such behavior. Feel free to elaborate any time.

There's a breadth of space between "it isn't my thing" and "it's stupid". I don't think you changed tone because of a sudden appehension: I think you did it for diplomatic purposes, which, at this point, only serves to hide what you sincerely believe on the subject.

You make choices that limit your future choices every day. Can't run a marathon if your food is Lay's day in and day out. Can't be an engineer with Linguistics for a major. Taking it out on tattoos just because they're obviously deviant isn't fair.

francopoli  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

I find it entertaining that you didn't reply to the BDSM question.

Don't give a shit, honestly. Your sex life is the second least interesting thing about you in my opinion. I really do not care who you are having sex with. As long as the people involved are adults and know what they are getting into and not being coerced? Not my concern.

Only time I care is if you are molesting kids or committing rape. My stance on the death penalty is convoluted and tied in knots (most Catholics are opposed, and as a social liberal I've seen too many cases of improper application see https://www.innocenceproject.org/ for a list) but I have zero issues with executing serial rapists and child molesters.

Taking it out on tattoos just because they're obviously deviant isn't fair.

Didn't say it made sense. When I grew up the only people who got tattoos were military and people on drugs and in prison. "Normal" people simply did not have them. I was taught that the infamous "bad people and others" got those and the "good, moral people" did not. It is a bias I carry with me that I have to fight. I have seen people with tattoos that should be considered works of art, full sleeves etc. And I know that a few people at work have their whole backs done. But the point I was making was that if you have an exposed tattoo it limits choices. Then again I'm the old fart who does not get it and it is possible that by the time the kids today are in charge I'll be the weird guy with no body art.

But, say, look at this guy. Not knowing anything about him, if you saw him walking around you would have assumptions. He may be a very nice person, or he may not. The reality is that how you present yourself is in a way a uniform, a mask. A guy in a suit walks by and you have a core set of assumptions about him. A woman walks by with her hair done nice, good makeup and a dress and you make a core set of assumptions about her. A guy walks buy with a long unkempt beard and a leather jacket with denim pants and there is an assumption made. A guy walks by in a dirty teeshirt and jeans and the same. "Dress for the job you want" is a saying for a reason.

Like i have said elsewhere, go do your thing. Let your freak flag fly. Have fun. But nothing you do is without cost and everything has a consequence, one of which is that you cannot control the thoughts inside someone's brain. The reason we have laws protecting kids and people under 18 is because on aggregate those people do not have the long-term understanding of consequences. As long as you are willing to accept the repercussions, both good and bad, AND HAVE AN INFORMED OPINION OF SAME you should be allowed a great leeway in your personal life.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm having trouble reconcilling the two.

Here you have a well-put, well-elaborated opinion on the thing.

Here - a hateful nonsensical deeply-personal comment on the very same matter.

Help me out.

Until you do...

But, say, look at this guy.

Oh, look: the avatar!

francopoli  ·  468 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here - a hateful nonsensical deeply-personal comment on the very same matter.

The initial comment was a snarky, throw away line that I thought would be passed over. Said snark then sparked a conversation that required a deeper, better written and more thought out reply.

At least I did not link you this guy

steve  ·  471 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree with so much of what you said... in an idealistic sense... but sometimes unfortunately,

If you are a single parent, you should get less welfare and benefits.

on the front end... this makes a TON of sense... on the back end.. when asshole leaves the lady with four kids hanging... she's now up a creek.

I am chuckling out loud at this one... a running joke in my family: face tattoos all say "DO NOT HIRE ME"

a thousand times... this. Excellent post.

francopoli  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

By "less benefits" I am not exactly saying cuts, but if there is a married couple with kids we should do what we can to keep them together and that will cost more. In the end keeping families together on aggregate is better for the taxpayers and society in general.

steve  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

I get it... it's just tough to incentivize one without de-incentivizing the other.

and the more I think about the individual couples, single parents, and kids I've worked closely with... some of this breaks down just because people are people, and some people are real assholes.

ButterflyEffect  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

To you and francopoli:

Obviously a face tattoo would indicate a lack of judgment and forethought by the person getting a tattoo. But what about a forearm tattoo? An ankle tattoo? Where is the line for you, and why is it that a more obscure tattoo than a forehead tattoo is a potential limitation to professional progression? To me, the examples provided are on the more extreme end of the tattoo spectrum. Does this, to you, indicate a lack of thought about the consequences of our actions?

To me, a tattoo is paint on a canvas (speaking as somebody with no tattoos), and I'm of the thought that this in general serves little indication of a person's ambition, talent, and place in society.

steve  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't really care about tattoos personally. Don't have any... and don't care if anyone has any.

It's a running family joke, but there is truth in humor. Our choices have consequences. Permanent choices like tattoos and other forms of body scarification can and will be judged by society. While you or I might still hire a person covered with piercings and ink... I think the person drastically limits their options.

francopoli  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

Answered a bit elsewhere in thread. In a professional setting if you can cover the artwork? Don't care. I've seen good sleeves and some really bad ones. I've seen neat "tramp stamps" and some that are everything about the stereotype and beyond.

And again, I carry my bias with me, as everyone does. A butterfly on a shoulder is a much different beast than a neck tattoo, or a line of writing across the chest. I have to force myself to put my bias aside because it is not the 1960's anymore and "normal" people have tattoos now. But that is still a bias I have.

In other news, it looks like my views on body ink are the one thing in this thread that goes against the Hubski Hive Mind.

ButterflyEffect  ·  469 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's not going against the Hubski Hive Hind, it's going immediately to face/neck tattoos and hand tattos. Which yes, they exist, but are also edge cases more than anything else.

Do appreciate reading your comments on this thread, it's a nice change in perspective than the typical Hubski conversation.

As the article mentions, it affects more than just the Boy Scouts.

Here is the thing that nobody really talk about; The culture these things create.

If there is ever a question, the kid's words are taken at face value with no doubt. Then self preservation kicks in and you as the adult are screwed; they will sacrifice you to save face and there is nothing you can do about it and zero legal recourse. One mom who was off her mood drugs making an accusation and your career is over. (An online friend of mine had this happen to him, he was 100% innocent of all the accusations and even home with his wife when one the 'incidents' took place. He fucked-the-hell-out of teaching to build houses)

Men are warning other men to not go into teaching and it is hurting our kids and our society. Then you get articles like this one trying to get more men into teaching and child care

And then you get shit like this

He told the newspaper: "I would certainly advocate that no man qualify as a teacher. It is just not worth it. What is the lesson here? There is nothing to protect the male teacher."

The kids who need these services? The kids who desperately need a Big Brother/Big Sister style service? Nobody gives a fuck. They (the kids) don't vote, they don't write checks and maybe once a year or so there will be a one hour conversation in the media when some of these kids are murdered. You then get the same people with stern looks and somber tones who start asking why these kids are dead only to get distracted by celebrity bullshit before the end of the news cycle. The consequences will barely be facebook "Share for a prayer" nonsense until we all change our filters to the flag of the next country that has a terror attack. The Big Brother program out here is seriously hurting because of the fears of litigation bumped their insurance and legal liability rates through the roof and they are struggling to get volunteers that want to go through the insane background check. I used to volunteer to play video games with the kids in the cancer ward. I don't now. They got a new volunteer coordinator and after a few conversations with her I no longer felt my personal safety and integrity were being protected. So fuck the kids with cancer, right?

Great. Now I sound like a fedora wearing neckbeard. And I used the time needed to prep for teaching two astronomy classes tonight for internet posting.

Can confirm. Good friend had to give up a career in christian camps because a 13-year-old boy decided it'd be fun to skunk his life. THE KID EVEN RECANTED and he still lost his job and couldn't get rehired anywhere, even out of state. He's a thousand miles away working the physical plant now.

Other friend is the daughter of the middle school science teachers. Couple of my sister's classmates decided they didn't like the mom so they made allegations against the dad because they knew it would stick and maybe they could get 'em both to leave. 18-month investigation, total recantation, early retirement.

I have had women come up to question me

at parks

standing next to a stroller

while I watch my daughter play

because if you're male and anywhere near small children, you're a pedophile.

Stop being an alpha male! Participate in your kids' lives! Take them to the park! Get the stinkeye from every paranoid mother there because what's wrong with you, participating in your kid's life YOU FUCKING PERVERT.

francopoli  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

You obviously need to go to lift more and learn to hold frame, brah.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Basically, if I decide to have a family, I don't go living in the US, 'cause no chance in hell I can spend time with my kid outside?

francopoli  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not so much. Depends on where you go and what you do. Just like any other large group of people. the fear of litigation is more of a driving force than anything else really.

Devac  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great. Now I sound like a fedora wearing neckbeard.

Nowhere in the post did you mention:

- being friend-zoned,

- an unfair stigma of living in your parents' basement,

- Catholics and religion being the source of all that is evil,

- Games Workshop's shitty pricing.

You're at worst at the Fedora Ergosphere.

francopoli  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

- an unfair stigma of living in your parents' basement,

I live in my OWN basement, motherfucker :) (saves me a ton of money on heating and cooling and helps keep the top of the house clean and presentable)

Devac  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

No need to explain, really. I lived in the attic at my parents home because what was originally meant to be my actual room is the hottest place in the house during summer and a fucking walk-in freezer during the winter. The basement became my mother's study because that's the only room in the house where she can store all of her medical stuff in a way that's readily available.

francopoli  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Keep watching your local news, everyone, where a large percentage of the featured men are mugshots of those that have committed sexual crimes.

paywalls on the adelaidenow.com.au links, FYI

francopoli  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Huh. I wonder if they are noticing incoming links and popping up the paywall. Was not there from Google.

am_Unition  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whenever a paywalled article sees you incoming from a google URL, they'll let you through. I guess they presume the link was served up in a google ad. Its happened to me here multiple times in the last year.

francopoli  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The beginning of the end? Reddit introduces profile pages

Also? "redscare" My god, that is brilliant.

user-inactivated  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

It hit me a few months ago, I've been waiting for Reddit to freak out so I could use it.

am_Unition  ·  547 days ago  ·  link  ·

You don't know how oddly content it makes me to know that I'm not the only motherfucker with a bag of puns in my back pocket, just waiting for the right time.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

Could you explain? I seem to be stuck at the Cold War "red scare".

bfv  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

He made a punny.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh. "red[dit] scare". Got it.

If it is like anything else, including when I rolled into the place, 100 people make accounts, 10 will post, 3 will stay and become a part of the community. Shitposters and trolls don't work all that well here and they will ass back to 4chan and 9gag.

someguyfromcanada  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is the thread I rolled in on:

I believe I am the sole survivor of that shit show. 49 shared and 277 comments about nothing.

Circlejerking is tough when you max out at 8 points.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's like I went up to the portal and saw a glimpse of the dark side for a moment.

ArtemusBlank  ·  548 days ago  ·  link  ·

This place does it perfect when it comes to trolls as we never really pay attention to them and when that happens trolls never stick around. They always want attention and they never get it here.

fallingsaucer  ·  546 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey hey, I just lurk from time to time. It's just that hubski looks at things in such depth, that I cannot cover all the topics that I'd like to when I'm working 10 hour days during these times. I love the conversation quality here, but having a larger sample of opinions is the advantage of a larger site. The reason I reached out for an alternative to Reddit was when I began to see the addendas of the admins and mods and when I began to notice plain text comments from users that were really the face of a company's add.

francopoli  ·  599 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BRAGSKI!!! What have you accomplished lately?

I resisted the urge to choke the ever loving shit out of two assholes that decided to act like assholes in public. Does that count?

Dala  ·  599 days ago  ·  link  ·

Counts in my book. Good job! (Maybe)

francopoli  ·  618 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mars is awful

Mars is solid ground that is (relatively) easy to get to without too bad of a gravity well to get back into space from. Mars has water, gypsum, carbon, phosphorus. Mars has just enough air to block a good portion of the bad cosmic radiation without needing 3 foot thick stone shelters.

Mars is really the only place out there that we know of that offers the hope of Humanity being a multi-planet species. Mars is not all that great, really, but it is the best we have.

user-inactivated  ·  618 days ago  ·  link  ·

Plus, it's right there. Right next door.

francopoli  ·  678 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sense of Alienation

Well, fuck. now what?

We fight, or we die. Same as it ever was.

I was hoping to fight for climate policy, alternative energy, infrastructure. Now we gotta fight for Obamacare, the Supreme Court, Republican tax cuts that loot the treasury and the paving over of the environment.

To help you feel a bit better, I work and live around evangelicals. They are all down because Trump won't talk about God, he's a liberal Hollywood degenerate who has been divorced twice and he is married to a slut who took naked photos. (And for the quote-miners, those are their words, not mine.) The middle sane conservatives and those of us fighting for better justice and the middle class might have something in common over the next four years as Trump turns into a clown show.

Remember, Trump is a liberal-ish New York Republican. On the social stuff I doubt he is going to do anything that is not a simple virtue signal pander. He wants to loot the treasury and help is Wall Street buddies make a few more billions, middle class be damned. The economic stuff he wants to push is going to do a ton more damage than anything else he is going to do, and that needs to be fought.

The thing you should all be freaking out about? Chief Justice Roberts just got his Conservative majority on the court.

I've been telling anyone who will listen that if you treat these people in Rural Redneckistan as an other, you will lose. I hate being right.

goobster  ·  678 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is what I keep hammering into people, over and over and over. Everybody wants to be all liberal touchy-feely woo-woo and hug it out... but the fucking reality is that the Supreme Court's decisions have far more effect on our daily lives, because they dictate the rules. They draw the lines.

Roe v. Wade will be overturned by this time next year. Planned Parenthood is history.

The Republicans have said that these are the reasons they won't meet with Garland Merrick. They want to flip the Supreme Court conservative so they can kill these specific rulings. They already have the test cases lined up and ready to go as soon as they get their conservative judge appointed.

That shit right there? The public can do NOTHING about. There's no senator you can call. There's no protest on the Mall. These 12 people sit in a room together and discuss the minute details of law and precedent and constitutional interpretation. There is NOTHING the populace can do to sway that opinion. The Justices are shielded from that.

So the court goes conservative, they overturn Roe v. Wade, out goes Planned Parenthood, and uninsured women (which is everyone that is not upper-middle class, because - oh right! - Obamacare is gone) now have 1900's-quality health care.

This is a court that will rule for the rest of my lifetime.

THAT's what these feel-good liberals need to understand.

francopoli  ·  729 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Aging, polls, and life extension: Why don’t Americans want to live longer?

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon."

francopoli  ·  757 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: One Star Over, There Might be Another Earth

I've been sitting this one out until today. They first saw this signal in Proxima's light curve in 2000 and had trouble verifying it. It looks like the ESO guys are also being cautious with their wording so I shall also be EXTREMELY cautious and careful with my words here.

POTENTIAL.

Say that with me again. OK? Cool. now let's look at what this discovery is, and how I as an amateur astronomer who does outreach will cover the topic. First, let's talk about Proxima Centauri.

Proxima is a red dwarf, about 12% the mass and size of our sun. It is very dim... in the visible light spectrum. Proxima pumps out as much x-ray radiation as the sun does. It is also a flare star. Every once in a while, the whole surface of Proxima will explode as magnetic lines of force connect and disconnect rapidly. This generates a massive short lived burst of x-rays that can be 100x the normal whole output of the Sun, a star much, much bigger. Think of a coronal mass ejection, only on steroids, multivitamins, herbal supplements and Ovaltine. We are only within the last 10-15 years been able to get a handle on what a red dwarf star is, how they act and evolve, how they bun their fuel, etc. So IF this turns out to be real, that planet is in for some interesting times. Proxima is also an older star that has an age of roughly 5 billion years, or about 10% older than our solar system.

The planet is also very close to the star, 10x closer than Mercury is. Yet this gives it roughly the orbital characteristics of Callisto, the outermost of Jupiter's big moons. So the planet will almost certainly be tidally locked. This means that like our moon has a side that always faces the earth, one side of this planet will always face the star. The only reason we know that this thing exists (POTENTIALLY!) is because we can measure a fluctuation in the light coming from Proxima... this fluctuation is every 11.2 earth days. So if our new neighbor is real, a year on this place will be less than two of our weeks. The 2000 data was also 10.5 days or so. They also think there is another body that has a period of 50 days but they cannot confirm it.

So Ok, let's play the guessing and imagination games.

This planet is slightly bigger than the earth in mass. It is too small to be a "Neptune" sized body, and too small and too hot to be a giant ball of gas. That means we are dealing with a terrestrial world made of metal and rocks. OK, so far I like this. IF this world has a molten core, which at this weight it should, then there is a potential for a magnetic field that might protect the planet from all that x-ray radiation, and may help retain an atmosphere. OK, cool. But at that close, in that environment, water will be broken down and the hydrogen will escape over time. How does that fare for water? Nobody really knows, and until we get the James Webb Telescope up and looking at this thing we don't know. All we have is a sample size of 1 (Our Solar system) to go on. Still a neat find if it can be found with other gear and in other telescopes.

Expect there to be more and more calls for Stephen Hawking's interplanetary probe, though. I hope that gets traction as if they launch it in the next 10 years or so I may live long enough to see at least some of the data from it.