francopoli's comments

Once you hit that level where the site cannot be funded by donations and you have to run ads, that is the beginning of the end. Keeping the site small, but not too small, makes the community more civil, or at least that is the way it seems to me.

rrrrr  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

An alternative would be to charge users for entry to the site. If the charge were set low enough it might work. But I don't know how many people consider social media sites to be enough of an enhancement to their lives to be worth paying for. It's hard enough to get people to pay for music, art, movies, books, etc. Also by charging a fee you'd be skewing the demographic towards wealthier people, which would suck.

goobster  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it is time for a pay-social media site. There was one on Kickstarter that I almost funded a couple weeks ago.

Ah! I found it. Here it is: OpenBook

I'd also like to see a pay model that incentivized participation over browsing. A "like/heart" would cost you a single Dingleberry, and and downvote would cost you 10, but a 1,000-word article with original images would award you 10,000 Dingleberries. Or something like that.

Make the base price like $10/month, and you weed out the majority of trolls. Then you incentivize participation, provide up/down rankings, good content moderation tools (flag/edit/delete comments on your content), and an anti-griefing system (like Hubski) that neuters the assholes, and that would be WORTH $10/mo.

Could work... for a while... until r/The_Donald found it.

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would work for years until a Digg-style mass migration swamps the culture of the place and it changes over a week. But I agree. I pay for Totalfark (mentioned elsewhere) as there is a lot less toxic garbage when you have money involved.

Then again, as someone that's been around, you may recall SomethingAwful. $10 a month and everyone on that board was cancer. Maybe the pay sites would self select their demographic.

The one thing that worries me is that when the site gets popular enough and hosting costs, moderation costs, legal fees, etc grow, the pressure will be on to turn on the access to cash. that means ad revenue, featured posts/products, native advertising etc. I wish I was smart (and rich) enough to have a solution to this problem.

goobster  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, the thing about a pay-for social media site is that it is a product/service, not a Public asset. So if people become dicks, you just end their account. Bam. Done. No more r/The_Donald.

francopoli  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of my favorite areas on the Internet are the Totalfark forums. $5 a month is a great gatekeeper that keeps a lot of the reddit and 4chan edgelords out.

Payed entry skews the conversations to older, established, wealthy people, true. It also attracts people like me that are fed up with the public facing internet. The opposite side of the equation is a site like 4chan where the abrasive culture weeds out people. That model has the effect of skewing conversations to young, poor, college-aged, STEM students. At least the payed entry has the potential to not be an echo chamber, at least not as much of one.

One thing I wish Hubski did was not allow Google to index threads. The astronomy forum I am on blocks people from reading topics unless they are logged it. Once a month or so, someone will complain about that, and I'm glad the people running the site are digging their heels in. Nothing inside the site shows up in a google search. Pain in the ass if you are looking for an answer, a life saver if you are trying to have a conversation.

francopoli  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

I had an earache and soreness on the side of my head for a few days. The discomfort turned into annoying then into pain. Over the counter stuff was not helping and it finally got so annoying that I went in to see my primary care doctor.

I've been long accused of being a tough, unfeeling bastard. This is something I wear if not with pride at least with an understanding that I can face anything and walk away better off. Most people would crumble. I've also been known in my youth as the dude that can take a full on fist to the face and not have it phase me too badly. I've got scars and a deviated septum to show as proof of that, I even worked and ran for a full day on a broken ankle not realizing the sprain was a break. My dear, sweet doctor, a wonderful older woman I've talked about here before after examining me was a little bit freaked out; to her credit she knows me and understands I am a bit "special" so when I come in I get to hand her something interesting. Turns out I've been walking around with a ruptured eardrum for at least a few days, maybe a week. Not sure what I did; rupturing an eardrum is something that normally takes a bit of trauma. $500 in drugs later and the headache is gone, now working on ear infections and other nasty stuff that took up residence inside the skull. Once the infection is gone I should heal.

I asked the doc if it was normal for someone to have a ruptured eardrum and not notice it. She replied that most of the cases she has seen are ambulatory due to head trauma, fist fights, sonic overpressures etc.

I went home and inspected bedding for blood, and looked to see if there were other signs of something bad happening. Nothing. So add in spontaneously rupturing eardrums to the lovely data set of my not-quite-rotting corpse. And now I am out $500 that I needed to do house repairs and an appliance fix.

There's some kind of supercrud out there. I went from "huh, it kinda aches when I chew" to "I don't have time to bike to the urgent care, I won't be able to stand in about 45 minutes" within about six hours. Got to urgent care, got an intramuscular pain killer, got some oral antibiotics and my eardrum burst of its own accord about 6 hours later.

I also have a uselessly high pain tolerance. I have a scar in my palm where I put a cigarette out in it to see if I could and another on my back where I leaned against a nail in a sauna long enough to get a 2nd degree burn without much discomfort. I also have a grandfather who died of gangrene when the capsaicin cream they put on his leg gave him chemical burns before it restored sensation so I'm not particularly macho about it. And I've had a couple-three ear infections that just rose up out of nowhere.

Not sure where the hell it's from, but there's something nasty that likes eustachian canals.

Foveaux  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Huh - I've got a specialist appointment (my third in 6 months) about my ears. They can't quite figure out what's going on. Intermittent ear pain, off balance when standing or walking but none of the normal test indicate an inner ear issue.

Reading these gave me some hope for an answer before I realized I have a very regular pain threshold. My brother is a hemophiliac and knows pain well, I however am not accustomed and will let everyone know about it so I guess that's one option crossed out.

Huh. It was a scam. And even a scummier scam than it first looked like.

It has since emerged that Aponte, who brought a full camera crew with her to the stunt, has been working with a viral marketing company called Rob Bliss Creative. The company were also behind the viral video in which Shoshana Roberts walks through New York for 10 hours with secret cameras attached to her, to highlight how often she is harassed and catcalled on the streets.

Remember the "viral video" of a woman walking through NYC for 10 hours and exposing catcalls? Same people.

The Internet was a mistake.

When the Generation Z kids get to a point where they can, in aggregate, look around and see the levels of fucked they are? HOOOOOOOOOOO BOY! Are the times gonna be interesting. The Millennials (20-40 year olds) still think they have a shot. They know shit is bad but by golly gee that American CAN-DO spirit and pulling up by boot straps and American dream stuff they were raised on is still a part of their psyche.

The kids I deal with that are today in High School? The smart ones see more than most people realize. The Internet is allowing them all to communicate and collaborate and realize that their future is being robbed blind by the Boomers and wondering why you and I did nothing to stop them. They are seeing the old people in one last orgy of chaos and destruction creating massive debt and environmental problems, while their generation is being dismissed as stupid kids when they speak up.

And they ain't happy about it.

b_b  ·  70 days ago  ·  link  ·

... their future is being robbed blind by the Boomers and wondering why you and I did nothing to stop them.

The gen X'ers in Congress are just as bad. Paul Ryan is the leader of that cadre and he makes the law-making boomers look like stewards of all that is right and holy. Devin Nunes? Rand Paul? All psychopaths. (I'm picking on GOP because they're the ones I can think of off the top of my head...Seems like every major Dem is 70+ years old--Corey Booker doesn't seem like a POS just yet. That's one I can name.)

Some millenials are starting to be elected, but my guess is that they'll shit the bed, too. Everyone does, because it's too easy to love the wealth and power that are so easy to grab once you're there. Our tax laws are a big part of the problem, but as soon as you start making that $200k Congressional salary, you're not too likely to increase your own rate, I guess.

francopoli  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Facebook Dating Is On the Way With Five Gender Choices

match.com started in 1993 IRC turned 30 earlier this year. Craigslist is 22 years old. CompuServe had personal ads. FidoNET of all things had personal areas. Hell, ALO chatrooms, and AIM were the Tinder of their time.

You start a way for people to talk to one another and they will use them to argue about politics, try to convert people to their religion and to fuck one another. Not exactly in that order, either.

Jobs produce money. Money can be exchanged for goods and services. If you find a job with purpose? Cool. If you have a talent that you can turn into cash? Cash fuels your passions.

The idea of a job being your purpose and that job making you happy is only 100, maybe 200 years old. I've been saying here and elsewhere that education needs to help young people figure out their talents and passions and how to best utilize those two components of their personality to build a life. Build meaning with the tools at your disposal.

francopoli  ·  141 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

One of the nice things about all the GDPR is that I have a full on list of websites and idiots sending me messages about updated privacy policies. Or, as I call them, DELETE ALL THE THINGS messages. I'm working my way down the list, poisoning personal data, deleting posts, scrubbing histories. Why? Because the Internet is no longer fun, and I have privacy concerns. And I honestly no longer have any fucks to give.

Also, LinkedIn is shit. Seriously, why the fuck would you post anything there that is not job related? There is a curse to being knowledgeable about things.

Also, fuck Microsoft. Windows 10... If my userbase was even slightly more tech savvy than the apes banging on the monolith in 2001 I'd start rolling out some Linux test beds. If you pay extra fro a fucking Pro license, you cannot kill Cortana, the Windows Store, the XBOX gaming shit, and you have to run through hoops to prevent end users from doing shenanigans on the desktops that you do not want them to do. I'm about to just say fuck it and go to all terminal servers. Also, Win7 end of life in January 2020, but any new processors won't let you install the OS, so you are stuck with Win10 or Win8.1; 8.1 pro and enterprise are a gong show all their own. Fun little side note? If you go Win10 enterprise, you can kill all the bullshit and just run an OS. No gaming garbage, no ads, no Cortana, no store. Enterprise is about double the cost of a Pro license.

I've also had to explain why storing patient data, research data, HIPAA protected information etc in "THE CLOUD!" (said just like that) is not a good idea.

This week, if a phone call does not go in my favor, I am killing my home internet and using the cell phone as a hot spot for the little bit of net surfing I do any more. Some days I debate whether a career change to truck driver is worth considering.

goobster  ·  140 days ago  ·  link  ·

I still do LinkedIn for two reasons:

1. Validation. If you don't have a LinkedIn account, you are either a hacker or a felon, in the hiring organization's eyes. It's how they figure out if your resume is bullshit or not.

2. Finding Talent. Because you have to be on LinkedIn, it's a great place for MY hiring managers to find new talent. And the only way my company comes up in job searches for potential employees, is if my current employees post and share shit on LinkedIn. So marketing sends out links to interesting articles and regulations, and we dutifully like, comment, and share, to make sure people who want to work for us can find us in a simple search.

(Oh. And I work for a SaaS company that companies like Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Idaho National Labs (nuclear power plants), and the Mayo Clinic trust their data to. So YEAH! to everything KB said.)

Eyes on the prize, captain. If they're using a cloud-based EHR, that means that the HIPAA responsibility is theirs, not yours. If you've got an encryption handshake on your side you are donezo.

We've got two EHRs and a Synology. All three are encrypted. The Synology is a lot less touchy-feely; both of the EHRs can be hit with an iPad through a web browser. And look at it this way: HIPAA violations are a problem primarily from a litigation standpoint. If someone leaks your diabetes status it's not the end of the world for anybody but if the government catches you doing it it's what? $50k? Thus, the mad rush to cloud-based EHRs where single practitioners can hand it off without having to worry about it. I've had this conversation maybe a half dozen times and for any organization small enough that Siemens isn't hand-writing patches for you, the cloud-based stuff is plenty good in my opinion. You are welcome to convince me otherwise.

A similar philosophy can be applied to Microsoft. I didn't full get their 365 thing until I got to a university; I give it my login and it populates my desktop, my documents, my onedrive and my preferences (and some drivers; it's fuckin' insane). I log out and it blips all that shit. Microsoft is effectively turning the whole world into dumb terminals that happen to run Windows. And to do that, it's an enterprise environment with a staff of MCSEs keeping things humming.

These are the guys that are going to pay Enterprise, or heavily-discounted Enterprise, or whatever it takes so they can do what they used to do with Ghost only faster and better. And these are the organizations that Microsoft can audit and have it be worthwhile; no more swooping in to nickel'n'dime operations and checking licenses. If you've got a thousand seats they've got a good idea of where you're at.

Win10 Pro then just becomes the thing that SOHO uses so they can put off updates until it isn't going to kill their business.

It's not your money. Take a back seat. Say "yep, we're buying these packaged solutions now because the operation of our business is being centralized in someone else's silo. And we can fight the flow and I become your key man who holds your org on my shoulders like Atlas, or we can jump in the river with everyone else and all drown together."

KapteinB  ·  141 days ago  ·  link  ·

I deleted my LinkedIn account even before I left college. I failed to see any value in it, and they kept sending me emails no matter what I changed my preferences to. Never looked back. Occasionally I get a surprised reaction when I tell people I'm not in LinkedIn, but you know what, I quite like my current job and I'm not looking for a new one.

Also, fuck Microsoft.

Word. I actually bought a new gaming laptop yesterday, long overdue. Turns out Dell sells a gaming laptop running Ubuntu! It was incredibly hard to find on their web site though. You'd think clicking "all laptop" and filtering by OS would show all models running Ubuntu, but no. I don't even remember how I was able to find it in the first place, but anyone interested can search their web store for cn55818. It even has a decent price for a laptop with a GTX1060 and 8th generation i7.

Also to see videos on Dell's web site you need Flash Player. What year is this?

francopoli  ·  140 days ago  ·  link  ·

To manage some of my hardware at work I have to keep a Windows XP machine running with Java 6. Java7 and Java 8 break all the connections, buttons and ability to do anything, along with the dozen or so security warnings and demands for updates.

If Sanders is racist, then everyone is.

I grew up less than five miles from Tom Metzger, may he burn in hell. The Klan was active in Southern California based on an anti-Catholic, anti-Mexican agenda and in the 1980's was one of the strongest in the country. Short Article on the KKK in San Diego if you are interested I've been told I'm not white because of my Irish heritage. I've had friends who were in gun battles with KKK members. There were parts of San Diego I was told that under no circumstances should I ever go there. When I got out into the world away from family etc, and interacted with blacks and Mexicans, we all realized were were in the same general boat. My racism all but died for good when I was living in my car for a few years.

The only privilege in this world is cash. If your mom and dad have money you get to start the game on easy mode. If not? LOL, Fuck you.

Democrats need to take a giant fucking page from the '92 Clinton run. Focus like a laser on the Economy. Every time there is a camera in your face say "economy, jobs, healthcare, environment." Make this election about rebuilding the middle class and a lot of the white people who voted Trump will switch, at least from the people I interact with here in Banjostan.

francopoli  ·  200 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Landless Americans are the new Serf Class

The gig Economy is the new serf class. No stability, no benefits, break the unions. The housing situation is just a byproduct, collateral damage if you will, on the assault on wages and labor.

Chicken/egg problem, maybe. With no large capital investment in your life, with no capital appreciation, you care less about stability. You have less of a stake in your continued presence in a community.

Not saying a house is an essential for every Good American but the fact that in any revolution you care to list it's the land owners vs everyone else?

I mean, that's not a coincidence.

francopoli  ·  276 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RE: OB's Heart

I wish I had that kind of spine.

Through a series of twists, turns and "What the fuck just happened?" something amazing has dropped in my lap that I hope to announce.... soonish. For the first time in a long while I have a goal, a mission and people cheering me on. Kinda weird to type that out, even weirder to be living it.

Nobody is exactly sure how I am able to pump enough blood to stay conscious. I don't have an answer myself.

Sounds like you are either stronger than you think or you have shit that you have not yet done and need to stick around long enough to finish it.

francopoli  ·  337 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 15, 2017

So let me tell you about healthcare. Think of torture, but you pay for it. Then get asked to come back for more and then you pay for it. Then you get a piece of paper saying in short "fuck if I know." Then they shuffle you off to someone else because the doctors can spend 5-10 minutes with you before the next billable fuckwit gets their 5-10 minutes. This week I ran on a treadmill, fat jiggling everywhere, until I failed. To my credit, I did not fall down, only through sheer fucking brute force of will. They have not called back demanding more tests, so I must have done as well as expected. A few days later, however, and HO-LEE-FUCK am I out of shape and fucking beat to hell. They also tested liver, glands and found that the kidneys are once again working as they should, and I thank Keto for that. Doctor likes the blood work, despite not liking Keto style diets. The one thing I will say in the favor of most doctors? They know it is a numbers game, and the numbers dictate the care more than feelings and other nonsense. If it works, and you have the data to back it up, it works and we call that medicine. I am not losing weight, which is really worrying, and we cannot figure out why; I'm fat as I have ever been and I should be dropping pounds, but those numbers can eat a bag of dicks for all the stubbornness about moving they exhibit. Speaking of numbers, the few docs and I had chats... all the numbers are moving ever so fucking slowly in directions some might consider "not dying, but think about life insurance and survivors." At least I am not getting worse. And I am not diabetic, which shocked the shit out of me. With all the baking and crap I have eaten over the years, and a family history, and the fun adventures with malnutrition and physical labour I no longer have any possible markers of insulin resistance, elevated sugar responses or the Type 2 death sentence. Yet the body feels like shit, I feel like shit and I get weekly migraines that are fucking with me.

The one thing that has come back is the bullshit fuckery with my sleep schedule. I fell into astronomy because I was up all night anyway might as well take advantage. Then I got old and shit went all tits-up. When I was a young man, I could go 2-3 days and not sleep, then sleep 4-6 hours and be fine. That all natural, no drugs, no weird shit, only coffee and chocolate and hate of the world. That, for me, was normal. Then, it hit me like a semi at 40MPH one year that if I did not get 8-10 hours of sleep I was dead to all but the angry voices in my head. I finally had a choice of fixing the problem or get fired so I got tested and well golly-gee no shit I have sleep apnea. Of all the things one could possibly fucking suck at? I choose breathing and sleeping.

I do not hate medicine, yet. I bet a surgery will shove that dial, and fortunately all my bullshit is chemical and not physical. Nobody wants to cut me open until there is an idea on what piece of shit inside me is being the asshole. Fortunately my health insurance is not totally fucked over yet, but I have no qualms that Congress will do something this year just to fuck with me and make my bullshit that much less pleasant.

After the testing, where I had lower than normal blood pressure, good cholesterol and good blood work, I celebrated with a pound of bacon and a 6 ounce steak. When I took a piss the next day, it smelled like bacon. There is something in that statement that I should be both proud of and ashamed of.

francopoli  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Equifax hack hits credit histories of up to 143 million Americans

Equifax: here use this site to see how fucked you are.

You: OK, I'm FUCKED!

Equifax: By finding out how FUCKED you are, you sign an agreement that wiaves your right to sue

You: Gee, thanks Equifax, I did not think you could go any deeper. Thanks for lowering the bar!

veen  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·

That checking website apparently uses a shared, free Cloudflare SSL certification so either they are even sloppier than I thought or someone is phishing.

goobster  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·

I assume it was a phishing site. But it's not like it is hard to come up with my last name and Social Security Number, since the Feds lost it years ago.

veen  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·

The problem is not just that they might have your SSN, the problem is also that the US relies far too much on the unsecure method of ID that is the SSN. This was bound to happen sometime and I'm sure it will happen again. Hopefully it's a catalyst for you guys adopting more secure IDs, but I doubt it.

francopoli  ·  406 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Northern Lights in Ohio? Sun Storm May Ramp Up Auroras Wednesday Night

We have a standing invite to set up and do "ambush astronomy" in front of a bar and liquor store with an... interesting reputation. From past experience, before sunset women show up and get their booze of choice clean cut people in business attire get their craft beer, hipster kids roll through and get whatever artisan avocado toasted ale they get. Then, when the sun goes down, it is all rough-around-the-edges blue collar and biker types. The bar has a reputation for back in the day there were stabbings, drugs, gangs, etc at the place but now it is just a bar. When we go and show up, the first rough looking chaps will wander over, go something along the lines of "NO SHIT YOU CAN SEE THAT?" and start making calls. Ernest is one of the big guys who has been there for years and when we are there, and he is there, he barks for us, in an endearingly rough sort of fashion. more along the lines of "get your punk ass over here and look at the nerd shit asshole." We have fun, we get 200+ people looking through the telescopes and we get funny stories to tell.

There are other groups that intentionally target bars for outreach which is where I got the idea. We've been invited to some of the high-brow bourbon places because of the bar nights, and the bourbon places offer donations to the society so everyone wins.

The shit I do for this fucking club, man.

francopoli  ·  428 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fighting Fires For Free, Aging Volunteers Struggle To Recruit The Next Generation

One other thing that this article does not touch on. The obesity problem and so many young men out of shape has rendered the pool of eligible candidates lower. Lexington, KY put out a call for free volunteer firefighter training and the requirements were something like 20 pushups, 10 pull-ups, 8 minute mile, climb a ladder with a pack on in a certain time, pull a fire hose x feet in y seconds, able to lift and carry 80 pounds, etc. Some 200 or so people, men and women I might add, showed up and 20 or so met the physical needs of the job. The job only paid on service rendered but it is considered a high prestige job and they could not get enough people to fill all the positions.

A million years ago I dated a dorky nerd girl who had this amazing sister that was her diametric opposite: the sister was a fire jumper. As in she parachuted into forest fires and cleared back burns, and did scary dangerous work including face offs with wild animals, traversing steep canyons and blazing trails and marking spots for the fire retardant air drops. When I was at my peak physical form, she ran circles around me, lifted more than I was able and had crazy physical endurance. (Her day job was a bouncer.) I got the chance to meet a few of the others on her team and even though she was one of the 'weaker' people in that group it hit home what a physically demanding job fire and rescue is. You can read and watch all you want, but stand next to those guys and realize those folks are STRONG. When they started to talk about lowering physical standards for EMT and firefighters in California to get more people into the forestry and fire departments in the late 80's, these people lost the farm. Since they only got paid if they were fighting fires, and if memory serves they got health benefits but no pension etc, many of them threatened to walk if people unable to do the physical work were let into the organization.

I have brought this up here on Hubski and elsewhere, but the country needs to stop the bullshit and figure out if we want to be a functional society or not. Firefighters are kind of important, and those people need to be paid and held in a high regard. Teachers need to once again be held to a high standard and also hold an honorable position in society. I think we send too many people to college and not enough people to union halls. And I wish I was able to pull all these thoughts together and write up a coherent statement as to why. My one good thought on this is that I am going to be dead in 15-20 years when all the chickens come home to roost and there is not enough people to do the grunt work and the place falls apart so I don't have to watch the aftermath.

snoodog  ·  428 days ago  ·  link  ·

Volunteer fire department is basically a 1/2 to 3/4 time job with no pay. For insurance and regulatory reasons the volunteers need to take almost all the training that the regular guys do and that eats up a lot of time. By the time you do your monthly training and then required minimum hours you are putting in ~60-80 hours a month minimum. The only people that can afford to do that either dont sleep or are retired.

On the subject of obesity that's also a huge problem for the volunteers, not only is the pool smaller but the people that need rescuing are bigger... way bigger. My buddy was volunteer EMS and blew out his back rescuing a 300+lb lady. Getting a 300lb person down a set of stairs needs either really expensive equipment or is just a recipe for injury and mostly its just injury since nobody wants to buy expensive stuff.

Realistically through its too expensive to provide services everywhere in the country, there are places that simply do not have enough population density to provide organized emergency services and need to revert to a more rural existence. The missing element there is that small communities are being choked by shitty one size fits all regulation that applies the same standards of training and regulation that exists in larger cities, and areas with higher density and that cant be supported by a community of a couple hundred. Lower standards of training should be fine in smaller communities.

user-inactivated  ·  428 days ago  ·  link  ·

I tried, for a short period of time, to find some volunteer work this summer. I had to put a lid on that idea for a few reasons, but I digress. One of the things I found a bit upsetting was the number of volunteer positions that really constitute as skilled labor. If the position you want filled has a requirement of a two year degree and/or continuing education in the field the position is for, you really oughta pay people at least something. There's a huge difference between being able to clean up litter along a creek bed and say being a chemist's assistant at an environmental clean up company.

As for finding people who are physically fit, I recommend organizations try to recruit people who are not only young, but physically active. College sports players readily come to mind. NASCAR Teams, for example, recruit college athletes to be on their pit crews saying "Not everyone is gonna get into the NFL, but if you're willing to be trained, we have a heck of a job for you." I think if fire departments and such did something similar, and offered good pay, they'd have a few takers. Prior military service people, especially the Coast Guard, would be another good place to look.

francopoli  ·  428 days ago  ·  link  ·

The problem is that common jobs get no glory.. and no/minimal pay. Teachers are underpaid. EMT's are underpaid. Firefighters are underpaid. There is a vast, critical, list of 'jobs' out there that do not pay or pay minimal. Back in the days when we had a functional society (as he looks back through Wratten23A eyepiece filters) being someone involved in the community was a status symbol. Yea the scout leader did it for free, but they earned respect from the community as someone who gave a shit. Teachers have always been underpaid, but even up to the 1970's teaching was a well regarded and respected profession. I know I sound like a broken record here, but the blame for this lies on the Baby Boomer generation. So many of these people have the attitude "DO NOT INCONVENIENCE ME OR ELSE" coupled with an attitude of "that is someone else's problem stop bothering me." So all the grunt work style jobs got shit on for 50 years as a whole generation went for high dollar careers. Then they used those careers to shit on blue collar work, gut the middle of the country and send quite a bit of the manufacturing base overseas. We all cannot be millionaires and we all cannot be the guy in charge; someone has to do the work and those jobs often times don't pay more than median for the area.

As for finding people who are physically fit...

WOW. Holy shit what a great idea that I would have never even thought of. Go talk to high school athletes, many of which are facing fast food and walmart as jobs, get them to be volunteer firefighters and pay to get them in EMT training. Huh. I'm gonna go write some letters today, thanks man.

steve  ·  427 days ago  ·  link  ·

pay to get them in EMT training.

hell... offer EMT training in a high school setting for seniors who aren't on the college track? There are several options for my kids in high school here for voc-ed... they can get plumbing, electrical, diesel repair, etc. training so that when they graduate, they're ready for apprenticeship.

francopoli  ·  429 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

When next we meet it will be over. More than 25 years of waiting, a job transfer to be closer, the sacrificing of a pork belly or three to the weather gods, the 200,000+ people that will be in my way, the anticipated gas and food shortages (yes they are planning on running out of gas and food in Western Kentucky), all the education and outreach, all of it will be over.

The Great American Eclipse is now so close I can taste it.

The weather at the place I will be hiding from the crowds is bouncing back and forth from good to FUCKING PERFECT. I am not bringing camping gear and instead bringing extra telescopes and optical gear for a star party the night before the event. I get to hang with some real astrophotographers so I will pick their brains a bit. And then the day of? No public outreach. No education. No bullshit. All I plan on doing is watch the event, do some basic science to get my NASA and Astronomical League credits, then a massive steak and meat and dead pig BBQ/grilling/Meatfest to celebrate the end of all the work we have done.

In January, we start looking to 2024 and do it all again.

So here is a picture of the moon I took this month. AS I will be in an area of minimal internet and even spottier cell phone coverage, I am also coordinating my life to have a strict "Fuck you Internet" policy. This weekend is going to be hectic on Friday, Saturday and a little bit on Sunday. Then on Monday the event of the decade. Then Tuesday I go home and recover.

WanderingEng  ·  428 days ago  ·  link  ·

In January, we start looking to 2024 and do it all again.

This goes squarely over the Adirondack High Peaks, my current favorite vacation spot. I'm already planning to watch from a mountaintop. Maybe I should book my hotel now.