francopoli's comments
francopoli  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: NASA: We Are Going

Every time a billionaire or government official says 'We are going to the Moon!" the actual mission gets delayed a week. So here is my sort-of educated, sort-of fanboy take on the question.

Bezos' mock up is being mocked pretty heavily by people who build space hardware. Hydrogen fuel? Really. Hydrogen sucks as a fuel in a reusable system. CO2 and water and energy makes methane and oxygen which is a much better fuel; its easy to store, needs less cooling, makes O2 which we need, gets rid of CO2, and uses a process that is very well understood. Bezos is already using metalox engines so why not use the easier to deal with chemistry? Speaking of that engine, Bezos' can barely keep his new engine from not exploding, the rocket he wants to use to lift the thing won't have the power to send it to the moon, and he is in the "guys, seriously, I promise good things are coming" phase of the typical Silicon Valley Venture Capitalist Bullshit cycle. New Glenn won't fly until 2024; I have a $50 bet on this. New Armstrong is not going to fly in the 2030's, if at all.

What Bezos has, and why I think he WILL eventually land on the moon is $100 Billion in net worth, a vision, and the desire to spend a lot of that net worth to implement the plan.

Elon Musk has a rocket that flies. He has a business with customers. He does not have a rocket big enough to launch the Orion Capsule to the moon, nor would that payload even fit ontop of a Heavy if Senator Shelby dies or retires and make the idea even possible. Dragon had a delay now, and the Boeing capsule will NEVER EVER fly on a SpaceX rocket. Musk also has no fucking clue what a timeline is. He has always, ever since Zip2, overpromised, rode his personality to the funding stage of a company, then did media song and dance to buy time until the idea works. And he's got the brains and charisma to pull that off, so good on him and it is amazing what he has done. But Starship is not going to fly in two years. Maybe four. If he does not run out of money, if he can get Dragon on track, IF he can lower costs enough to steal the rest of the launch market to build an economy of scale where he is launching 30-40 times a year and making 20-25 million in profit a launch. IF all these IF's work out, I see a Dragon on the moon in the late 2020's without a problem. R&D is expensive and you cannot just write more code to get shit moving faster... and there is still the reality that Starship is a rocket trying to build a customer base looking to create a market. the point to point idea of using his manned rockets in a suborbital fashion to move people around the earth? I have a standing bet that this will never happen. Every person closer than two miles when those engines kick in will be vibrated to death by the sound waves, and that is a bit of physics I do not see anyone, anywhere, solving. (Even ground shielding and making hills etc to cancel the noise won't work when the rocket is 300 feet in the air and accelerating.)

SLS is a mess. Mocked as the Senate Launch System, the whole rocket stack exists because of two US senators that are pushing it for the jobs in Utah and Alabama. The vehicle will run $2 billion, MINIMUM, per launch and not be reusable. If everything goes perfect, the SLS will be able to launch twice a year, max. And not be man-rated unless we throw all the safety advances on Commercial Crew out the door. SLS is eating $900 Million or so a year, and will not even launch a payload until 2021 if we are being optimistic. Then, a three year delay to the second launch which might have the Europa Clipper mission and not a moon mission as the payload.

On the whole, putting humans on the moon in five years is possible, but it will cost $4-$6 billion a year, long term commitments, and people in and out of Congress to take parentage of the project. There are people out there that hate Trump so much that they don't care about national goals, working party over country and damn the consequences. When Trump loses in 2020 my fear is that they are going to kill this program, rebrand it and start over to keep his administration's name off the accomplishment. This is also why Pence and NASA are saying five years. Do it now, do it fast and build hype before the new people can come in and fuck over your timeline.

The Lunar gateway, IMO is a waste. It's a great idea, and worth doing. Get in Lunar orbit, learn how to function out there, fine. But the Gateway is going to be some 4-5 SLS launches at $2Billion a launch, on a rocket THAT DOES NOT EXIST RIGHT NOW. The Saturn V took eight years from paper to first launch, I remind everyone, and Apollo should be thought of as a massive weapons program and not a scientific endeavor.

If I am to make a prediction, NASA will get $4 billion extra for the manned space directive over the next two years. Commercial Crew will start launching next year, in the spring, and NASA astronauts will fly on Boeing and SpaceX capsules. The ISS will go to full 12 man operations by 2020, and after that election SLS will be cancelled. the new president in 2021 will gut the lunar exploration program and want to start over, the ISS will have to fight for its life as well. First big payload to the moon will be 2026-2027 at the earliest assuming we don't gut space funding again like we have been doing for the last 30 years and it will be on a private rocket. I want this to happen. I want people on the moon to learn how to live on Mars. I want kids watching live 4K video of people on the moon. I want to see it all before I die. But the realist in me has a ton of doubts.

I had forgotten that Elon Musk said he could reduce launch costs by two orders of magnitude.

The problem - the heartbreaking problem, as I see it - is that even when you could launch anything to space for any reason so long as you were stickin' it to the Russkies/Capitalist Dogs, we were only launching about double what we launch now. We've got an entire Iridium constellation up there and it couldn't make enough money to support itself. Musk is planning like six thousand satellites to beam broadband everywhere but that's as much about justifying his rocket company as anything else.

People forget that the only reason SpaceX exists is because Roscosmos/Energia told Musk to get stuffed so he set about to reverse engineer Roscosmos/Energia. He's done a fine job. There is now a Soviet design bureau to compete with the bloated capitalists of the United Launch Alliance. But it doesn't mean there's a use case for space.

Let's say a Falcon Heavy is $100m to orbit, like SpaceX claims. 'k, great. That's about $1600 bucks per kilo. It'll also launch about 2/3rds of a Skylab. Super awesome! So for $150m we've got a Skylab-sized chunk of space hotel into orbit. That's not bloody bad - Skylab cost the equivalent of about $12b. A Falcon Heavy comes in at ten percent the cost of a Saturn 5 (disregarding development costs).

A 90% cost reduction ain't nuthin'. But how much do we really need space stations? How much do we really need space tourism? What's the demand? The first space station went up before I was born and I'm an old man. When we were about to send up the ISS we refused to pay to keep Mir in the sky - apparently the world only needed one space station at any given time.

Before it ever flew, Al Gore argued that if we could fill the payload of the shuttle bay with feathers and have them magically turn to gold in orbit, we'd only lose $70m per launch. Space has never been about the money, but Musk and Bezos are all trying to find a business case for it because they read The Man Who Sold The Moon as kids.

I want to believe. But I stood on a beach and watched $9b go into orbit with a half-dozen strangers and a couple SF dudes on horseback and it changed me. We wanted bin Laden dead nine billion dollars worth and if that's the ground truth on the economics, reusable boosters aren't enough to change the narrative.

francopoli  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Blue-sky thinking: Vision from multiple planets

The problem is mainly how light works. The people who took this image are collecting photons (reminder, this is in radio wavelengths, and radio waves are light). The distance from peak to peak of these radio waves is on the order of 1.3mm (millimeters). They then had to time the observations so that all of the telescopes were observing at the same time. Then, THEN, then needed very accurate atomic clocks. What you are trying to do is get all the telescopes to get the same wavelength at the same time, taking into account the curvature of the earth's surface and the rotation of the planet itself. With the way that radio waves work, you can then do some math, compare the photon at the exact time needed and then do some interpolation and get the image presented.

Optical light, is on the order of 1/2 to 1/3 the size of a radio wavelength. That does not mean that doing the same thing with optical light is twice or three times as hard, oh no, it is about a cube of resolution and timing needed. This needs the accuracy of the atomic clocks at the current limit of the technology. The Event Horizon Telescope used a hydrogen atomic clock, which i did not realize they were using outside of a lab. When you get to the X-Ray range, you are talking 1/4 the wavelength of visible light, with the increase in cost of detectors, etc.

Now, we do use inferometry on some optical systems. The one that is currently working is the Large Binocular Telescope The light from the two mirrors is routed into a single point to make a bigger mirror, for much less money. The Giant Magellan Telescope is not using inferometry as it collects light as a single mirror, not two observatories.

So, let's play. Put a giant radio telescope on Earth. One on the moon. One on each of the L4 and L5 Lagrangian Points. Now you need to have the most accurate atomic timing ever built by people. and a very, VERY high bandwidth data link (which does not exist) and the power needed to keep the whole system running. The stuff on the moon and Mars will also have to be compensated due to the radical change in temperatures from day to night. THEN you have to make sure that you are all observing the same object at the same time. THEn you have to get the data back, petabytes of it. THEN you have to process the data (In this case it took two years.)

So is it possible? sure. $4 Billion for the Mars telescope. $3 Billion for each of the Lagrangian telescopes. $10 billion for the lunar scope and the manned mission to build it and operate it. Then $2-$5 billion for the team to do the work.

goobster  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man... space is hard.

:-)

So just to be clear: for that price tag of somewhere around $20bn you would get... no significant capability increase above what we have on Earth today, or sitting at convenient Lagrange Points already?

francopoli  ·  173 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 28, 2018

The great thing about a house is that they are amazing to live in. Owning a place of your own, that you can make into YOUR personal space? And with a yard to protect your neighbors from your music and loud gaming? Highly encouraged.

The problem about a house? They are hard as hell to get rid of. It takes 6-8 months on average to sell a house in most of the country, it costs 5-6% of the sale price and if you plan on moving in under five years it is more economical to rent. You can always save money then figure out what you want to do when you grow up later, the money is only a tool that helps you make that reality happen.

In a situation like yours where you are mobile, you really need to think about how owning property will tie you down.

but my perception of who I am or how I think others think of me is a terrible reason to keep traveling.

Everyone sets their own path in life. You are a traveler, a wanderer and a hiker. If travel is a part of what you are, don't give it up. Giving up a part of your self will only make you feel like shit and angry in the long run. If other people are trying to get you to give up a part of what makes you YOU I'd be asking why they are doing so.

WanderingEng  ·  173 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not really all that mobile day-to-day. I've been in my condo almost thirteen years and at the same job fifteen.

Nobody would care if I didn't travel, but it's like my persona is wrapped up in it. Changing that, even if it's definitely what I want, feels uncomfortable.

But my own walls and space sounds really nice, and I've been enjoying running and swimming locally.

francopoli  ·  186 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

The last house I shared with roommates had myself and four other people. The bedroom was just big enough for a bed, desk, dresser and an office chair. We all go along, but that many people in a shared space and you are always tripping over each other and all up in each other's business due to the confines of the house.

Kinda hard to get romantic with a partner of choice when there are four other people watching your every move and judging the new stranger now in the house. People I know have then had the issue where bringing a new person around, even if just a night or two a week changes the dynamic in the living space. If you have a good place and decent roommates, most people will not want to disturb that, especially if rent is outrageous and/or finding a new apartment/room/house is difficult.

I'd lean more onto the 1.7 trillion dollar Student Loan problem combined with the massive out of control housing costs in the areas people want to live in. Add in working long hours/multiple jobs as a consequence and you also explain why people under 30 are not joining professional societies and hobby organizations as much as their parents did. (And not joining and taking part in those activities limits contact with new people, reducing potential romantic partners) Work 70 hours a week and you won't have the energy to do much else.

Foveaux  ·  186 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting - I haven't encountered that kind of issue when living with people and bringing someone else home. Or if the issue was there, I was entirely oblivious to it. I've been exceedingly lucky with my flatmates over the years.

You paint a scary picture and I don't doubt it's real - I'm just glad it's not happening to me at the moment!

francopoli  ·  185 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poverty is a hell of a mind fuck. Not recommended.

francopoli  ·  201 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 12-young-people-on-why-they-probably-wont-vote

Shit like this is why Trump is president.

If I were a "young person" I'd be livid. Did NyMag run an article on 12 young people who probably will vote?

EDIT: close enough

ButterflyEffect  ·  201 days ago  ·  link  ·

So I'm using Instagram polls to gage how many of my friends have voted...so far the split is 60/40 did not vote yet, to have voted. If that number doesn't change A LOT I'm going to be pissed. So pissed.

NYMag is just looking to paint those pesky whipper snappers as uninvolved so they have an easy story to run in the event elections turn sideways.

francopoli  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘I Fundamentally Believe That My Time at Reddit Made the World a Worse Place’

Once you hit that level where the site cannot be funded by donations and you have to run ads, that is the beginning of the end. Keeping the site small, but not too small, makes the community more civil, or at least that is the way it seems to me.

rrrrr  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·

An alternative would be to charge users for entry to the site. If the charge were set low enough it might work. But I don't know how many people consider social media sites to be enough of an enhancement to their lives to be worth paying for. It's hard enough to get people to pay for music, art, movies, books, etc. Also by charging a fee you'd be skewing the demographic towards wealthier people, which would suck.

goobster  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think it is time for a pay-social media site. There was one on Kickstarter that I almost funded a couple weeks ago.

Ah! I found it. Here it is: OpenBook

I'd also like to see a pay model that incentivized participation over browsing. A "like/heart" would cost you a single Dingleberry, and and downvote would cost you 10, but a 1,000-word article with original images would award you 10,000 Dingleberries. Or something like that.

Make the base price like $10/month, and you weed out the majority of trolls. Then you incentivize participation, provide up/down rankings, good content moderation tools (flag/edit/delete comments on your content), and an anti-griefing system (like Hubski) that neuters the assholes, and that would be WORTH $10/mo.

Could work... for a while... until r/The_Donald found it.

francopoli  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would work for years until a Digg-style mass migration swamps the culture of the place and it changes over a week. But I agree. I pay for Totalfark (mentioned elsewhere) as there is a lot less toxic garbage when you have money involved.

Then again, as someone that's been around, you may recall SomethingAwful. $10 a month and everyone on that board was cancer. Maybe the pay sites would self select their demographic.

The one thing that worries me is that when the site gets popular enough and hosting costs, moderation costs, legal fees, etc grow, the pressure will be on to turn on the access to cash. that means ad revenue, featured posts/products, native advertising etc. I wish I was smart (and rich) enough to have a solution to this problem.

goobster  ·  217 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, the thing about a pay-for social media site is that it is a product/service, not a Public asset. So if people become dicks, you just end their account. Bam. Done. No more r/The_Donald.

francopoli  ·  220 days ago  ·  link  ·

One of my favorite areas on the Internet are the Totalfark forums. $5 a month is a great gatekeeper that keeps a lot of the reddit and 4chan edgelords out.

Payed entry skews the conversations to older, established, wealthy people, true. It also attracts people like me that are fed up with the public facing internet. The opposite side of the equation is a site like 4chan where the abrasive culture weeds out people. That model has the effect of skewing conversations to young, poor, college-aged, STEM students. At least the payed entry has the potential to not be an echo chamber, at least not as much of one.

One thing I wish Hubski did was not allow Google to index threads. The astronomy forum I am on blocks people from reading topics unless they are logged it. Once a month or so, someone will complain about that, and I'm glad the people running the site are digging their heels in. Nothing inside the site shows up in a google search. Pain in the ass if you are looking for an answer, a life saver if you are trying to have a conversation.

francopoli  ·  243 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

I had an earache and soreness on the side of my head for a few days. The discomfort turned into annoying then into pain. Over the counter stuff was not helping and it finally got so annoying that I went in to see my primary care doctor.

I've been long accused of being a tough, unfeeling bastard. This is something I wear if not with pride at least with an understanding that I can face anything and walk away better off. Most people would crumble. I've also been known in my youth as the dude that can take a full on fist to the face and not have it phase me too badly. I've got scars and a deviated septum to show as proof of that, I even worked and ran for a full day on a broken ankle not realizing the sprain was a break. My dear, sweet doctor, a wonderful older woman I've talked about here before after examining me was a little bit freaked out; to her credit she knows me and understands I am a bit "special" so when I come in I get to hand her something interesting. Turns out I've been walking around with a ruptured eardrum for at least a few days, maybe a week. Not sure what I did; rupturing an eardrum is something that normally takes a bit of trauma. $500 in drugs later and the headache is gone, now working on ear infections and other nasty stuff that took up residence inside the skull. Once the infection is gone I should heal.

I asked the doc if it was normal for someone to have a ruptured eardrum and not notice it. She replied that most of the cases she has seen are ambulatory due to head trauma, fist fights, sonic overpressures etc.

I went home and inspected bedding for blood, and looked to see if there were other signs of something bad happening. Nothing. So add in spontaneously rupturing eardrums to the lovely data set of my not-quite-rotting corpse. And now I am out $500 that I needed to do house repairs and an appliance fix.

There's some kind of supercrud out there. I went from "huh, it kinda aches when I chew" to "I don't have time to bike to the urgent care, I won't be able to stand in about 45 minutes" within about six hours. Got to urgent care, got an intramuscular pain killer, got some oral antibiotics and my eardrum burst of its own accord about 6 hours later.

I also have a uselessly high pain tolerance. I have a scar in my palm where I put a cigarette out in it to see if I could and another on my back where I leaned against a nail in a sauna long enough to get a 2nd degree burn without much discomfort. I also have a grandfather who died of gangrene when the capsaicin cream they put on his leg gave him chemical burns before it restored sensation so I'm not particularly macho about it. And I've had a couple-three ear infections that just rose up out of nowhere.

Not sure where the hell it's from, but there's something nasty that likes eustachian canals.

Foveaux  ·  243 days ago  ·  link  ·

Huh - I've got a specialist appointment (my third in 6 months) about my ears. They can't quite figure out what's going on. Intermittent ear pain, off balance when standing or walking but none of the normal test indicate an inner ear issue.

Reading these gave me some hope for an answer before I realized I have a very regular pain threshold. My brother is a hemophiliac and knows pain well, I however am not accustomed and will let everyone know about it so I guess that's one option crossed out.

francopoli  ·  271 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A New York City woman used Tinder to host her own real-life episode of Singled Out

Huh. It was a scam. And even a scummier scam than it first looked like.

It has since emerged that Aponte, who brought a full camera crew with her to the stunt, has been working with a viral marketing company called Rob Bliss Creative. The company were also behind the viral video in which Shoshana Roberts walks through New York for 10 hours with secret cameras attached to her, to highlight how often she is harassed and catcalled on the streets.

Remember the "viral video" of a woman walking through NYC for 10 hours and exposing catcalls? Same people.

The Internet was a mistake.

When the Generation Z kids get to a point where they can, in aggregate, look around and see the levels of fucked they are? HOOOOOOOOOOO BOY! Are the times gonna be interesting. The Millennials (20-40 year olds) still think they have a shot. They know shit is bad but by golly gee that American CAN-DO spirit and pulling up by boot straps and American dream stuff they were raised on is still a part of their psyche.

The kids I deal with that are today in High School? The smart ones see more than most people realize. The Internet is allowing them all to communicate and collaborate and realize that their future is being robbed blind by the Boomers and wondering why you and I did nothing to stop them. They are seeing the old people in one last orgy of chaos and destruction creating massive debt and environmental problems, while their generation is being dismissed as stupid kids when they speak up.

And they ain't happy about it.

b_b  ·  284 days ago  ·  link  ·

... their future is being robbed blind by the Boomers and wondering why you and I did nothing to stop them.

The gen X'ers in Congress are just as bad. Paul Ryan is the leader of that cadre and he makes the law-making boomers look like stewards of all that is right and holy. Devin Nunes? Rand Paul? All psychopaths. (I'm picking on GOP because they're the ones I can think of off the top of my head...Seems like every major Dem is 70+ years old--Corey Booker doesn't seem like a POS just yet. That's one I can name.)

Some millenials are starting to be elected, but my guess is that they'll shit the bed, too. Everyone does, because it's too easy to love the wealth and power that are so easy to grab once you're there. Our tax laws are a big part of the problem, but as soon as you start making that $200k Congressional salary, you're not too likely to increase your own rate, I guess.

francopoli  ·  286 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Facebook Dating Is On the Way With Five Gender Choices

match.com started in 1993 IRC turned 30 earlier this year. Craigslist is 22 years old. CompuServe had personal ads. FidoNET of all things had personal areas. Hell, ALO chatrooms, and AIM were the Tinder of their time.

You start a way for people to talk to one another and they will use them to argue about politics, try to convert people to their religion and to fuck one another. Not exactly in that order, either.

Jobs produce money. Money can be exchanged for goods and services. If you find a job with purpose? Cool. If you have a talent that you can turn into cash? Cash fuels your passions.

The idea of a job being your purpose and that job making you happy is only 100, maybe 200 years old. I've been saying here and elsewhere that education needs to help young people figure out their talents and passions and how to best utilize those two components of their personality to build a life. Build meaning with the tools at your disposal.

francopoli  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

One of the nice things about all the GDPR is that I have a full on list of websites and idiots sending me messages about updated privacy policies. Or, as I call them, DELETE ALL THE THINGS messages. I'm working my way down the list, poisoning personal data, deleting posts, scrubbing histories. Why? Because the Internet is no longer fun, and I have privacy concerns. And I honestly no longer have any fucks to give.

Also, LinkedIn is shit. Seriously, why the fuck would you post anything there that is not job related? There is a curse to being knowledgeable about things.

Also, fuck Microsoft. Windows 10... If my userbase was even slightly more tech savvy than the apes banging on the monolith in 2001 I'd start rolling out some Linux test beds. If you pay extra fro a fucking Pro license, you cannot kill Cortana, the Windows Store, the XBOX gaming shit, and you have to run through hoops to prevent end users from doing shenanigans on the desktops that you do not want them to do. I'm about to just say fuck it and go to all terminal servers. Also, Win7 end of life in January 2020, but any new processors won't let you install the OS, so you are stuck with Win10 or Win8.1; 8.1 pro and enterprise are a gong show all their own. Fun little side note? If you go Win10 enterprise, you can kill all the bullshit and just run an OS. No gaming garbage, no ads, no Cortana, no store. Enterprise is about double the cost of a Pro license.

I've also had to explain why storing patient data, research data, HIPAA protected information etc in "THE CLOUD!" (said just like that) is not a good idea.

This week, if a phone call does not go in my favor, I am killing my home internet and using the cell phone as a hot spot for the little bit of net surfing I do any more. Some days I debate whether a career change to truck driver is worth considering.

goobster  ·  354 days ago  ·  link  ·

I still do LinkedIn for two reasons:

1. Validation. If you don't have a LinkedIn account, you are either a hacker or a felon, in the hiring organization's eyes. It's how they figure out if your resume is bullshit or not.

2. Finding Talent. Because you have to be on LinkedIn, it's a great place for MY hiring managers to find new talent. And the only way my company comes up in job searches for potential employees, is if my current employees post and share shit on LinkedIn. So marketing sends out links to interesting articles and regulations, and we dutifully like, comment, and share, to make sure people who want to work for us can find us in a simple search.

(Oh. And I work for a SaaS company that companies like Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Idaho National Labs (nuclear power plants), and the Mayo Clinic trust their data to. So YEAH! to everything KB said.)

Eyes on the prize, captain. If they're using a cloud-based EHR, that means that the HIPAA responsibility is theirs, not yours. If you've got an encryption handshake on your side you are donezo.

We've got two EHRs and a Synology. All three are encrypted. The Synology is a lot less touchy-feely; both of the EHRs can be hit with an iPad through a web browser. And look at it this way: HIPAA violations are a problem primarily from a litigation standpoint. If someone leaks your diabetes status it's not the end of the world for anybody but if the government catches you doing it it's what? $50k? Thus, the mad rush to cloud-based EHRs where single practitioners can hand it off without having to worry about it. I've had this conversation maybe a half dozen times and for any organization small enough that Siemens isn't hand-writing patches for you, the cloud-based stuff is plenty good in my opinion. You are welcome to convince me otherwise.

A similar philosophy can be applied to Microsoft. I didn't full get their 365 thing until I got to a university; I give it my login and it populates my desktop, my documents, my onedrive and my preferences (and some drivers; it's fuckin' insane). I log out and it blips all that shit. Microsoft is effectively turning the whole world into dumb terminals that happen to run Windows. And to do that, it's an enterprise environment with a staff of MCSEs keeping things humming.

These are the guys that are going to pay Enterprise, or heavily-discounted Enterprise, or whatever it takes so they can do what they used to do with Ghost only faster and better. And these are the organizations that Microsoft can audit and have it be worthwhile; no more swooping in to nickel'n'dime operations and checking licenses. If you've got a thousand seats they've got a good idea of where you're at.

Win10 Pro then just becomes the thing that SOHO uses so they can put off updates until it isn't going to kill their business.

It's not your money. Take a back seat. Say "yep, we're buying these packaged solutions now because the operation of our business is being centralized in someone else's silo. And we can fight the flow and I become your key man who holds your org on my shoulders like Atlas, or we can jump in the river with everyone else and all drown together."

KapteinB  ·  355 days ago  ·  link  ·

I deleted my LinkedIn account even before I left college. I failed to see any value in it, and they kept sending me emails no matter what I changed my preferences to. Never looked back. Occasionally I get a surprised reaction when I tell people I'm not in LinkedIn, but you know what, I quite like my current job and I'm not looking for a new one.

Also, fuck Microsoft.

Word. I actually bought a new gaming laptop yesterday, long overdue. Turns out Dell sells a gaming laptop running Ubuntu! It was incredibly hard to find on their web site though. You'd think clicking "all laptop" and filtering by OS would show all models running Ubuntu, but no. I don't even remember how I was able to find it in the first place, but anyone interested can search their web store for cn55818. It even has a decent price for a laptop with a GTX1060 and 8th generation i7.

Also to see videos on Dell's web site you need Flash Player. What year is this?

francopoli  ·  354 days ago  ·  link  ·

To manage some of my hardware at work I have to keep a Windows XP machine running with Java 6. Java7 and Java 8 break all the connections, buttons and ability to do anything, along with the dozen or so security warnings and demands for updates.

If Sanders is racist, then everyone is.

I grew up less than five miles from Tom Metzger, may he burn in hell. The Klan was active in Southern California based on an anti-Catholic, anti-Mexican agenda and in the 1980's was one of the strongest in the country. Short Article on the KKK in San Diego if you are interested I've been told I'm not white because of my Irish heritage. I've had friends who were in gun battles with KKK members. There were parts of San Diego I was told that under no circumstances should I ever go there. When I got out into the world away from family etc, and interacted with blacks and Mexicans, we all realized were were in the same general boat. My racism all but died for good when I was living in my car for a few years.

The only privilege in this world is cash. If your mom and dad have money you get to start the game on easy mode. If not? LOL, Fuck you.

Democrats need to take a giant fucking page from the '92 Clinton run. Focus like a laser on the Economy. Every time there is a camera in your face say "economy, jobs, healthcare, environment." Make this election about rebuilding the middle class and a lot of the white people who voted Trump will switch, at least from the people I interact with here in Banjostan.

francopoli  ·  414 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Landless Americans are the new Serf Class

The gig Economy is the new serf class. No stability, no benefits, break the unions. The housing situation is just a byproduct, collateral damage if you will, on the assault on wages and labor.

Chicken/egg problem, maybe. With no large capital investment in your life, with no capital appreciation, you care less about stability. You have less of a stake in your continued presence in a community.

Not saying a house is an essential for every Good American but the fact that in any revolution you care to list it's the land owners vs everyone else?

I mean, that's not a coincidence.

francopoli  ·  490 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: RE: OB's Heart

I wish I had that kind of spine.

Through a series of twists, turns and "What the fuck just happened?" something amazing has dropped in my lap that I hope to announce.... soonish. For the first time in a long while I have a goal, a mission and people cheering me on. Kinda weird to type that out, even weirder to be living it.

Nobody is exactly sure how I am able to pump enough blood to stay conscious. I don't have an answer myself.

Sounds like you are either stronger than you think or you have shit that you have not yet done and need to stick around long enough to finish it.