Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
forwardslash's comments
forwardslash  ·  730 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 252nd Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Petit Biscuit's new album has pretty much been my jam for the last week.

forwardslash  ·  730 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Walking away from Louis CK

I love Blade Runner. I think it's a great film. But it includes this scene

My wife and I just watched Blade Runner for the first time a week or so ago so the Weinstein stuff was fresh in our minds, but I'm surprised I hadn't heard much about that scene beforehand. For years I had heard that I should see Blade Runner, that it was a cult classic, but for me that scene would have been a huge caveat to give. Other than that it was great, though.

Social progress is a funny thing - everybody alive thinks they're exactly as progressive as the world around them and the fact that the world is now more progressive than it was when they were younger does not mean that they were a backward part of a backward world, it means they were one of the enlightened ones.

Blade Runner is so old that we live in the distant future it imagined. But a lot of us grew up in that distant past and it's normal to us. So anything that happened that was normal then must be normal now, right? This is why you have a racist grandma. Four years after Blade Runner:

Four years after Blade Runner:

It wasn't a caveat at the time. We were still agog over the brilliance of Last Tango in Paris.

forwardslash  ·  733 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Presence - Petit Biscuit

Note to self: fix spotify embeds

forwardslash  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FYI Search is available again

Ha! That's a pretty great hack, thanks for the tip :)

Devac  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·

No problem. It also works for explicit floats (for example size=1.6) and rounds them down or up depending on the fractional part.

forwardslash  ·  927 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 5 winners and 3 losers from the budget agreement

If they were half as competent as they are malevolent we'd be in real trouble.

That has been the most amazing thing to watch for me. It's like a race to see who can shoot themselves in the foot fastest between the parties, and the GOP has more guns.

I will admit to some soul searching.

"They can't be that incompetent, after all, they won a national election!" Nope. Totally that incompetent.

"He's gotta gain some gravitas once he's actually behind the desk. I mean, he can't treat this like a reality TV show." Nope. Totally treating it like a reality TV show.

"They can't just keep running against everything when they have the house, the senate, the executive and the judicial. I mean, what's opposing them?" Nope. Totally got the government within 18 hours of a shutdown.

I'm halfway to concluding the Republican party isn't adversarial to the Democrats - they're pure dead weight no matter who is in charge.

user-inactivated  ·  927 days ago  ·  link  ·

I knew it was going to be a gong show. But as someone who still loves the country and what it can be, I was hoping that he would be a guy that could work in the background and no be a total fuckup. Hell it took Clinton about six months to really get into the role of leader after the first WTC attack.

Between Trump, Reagan and that cunt Sonny Bono, I hope we never elect an actor/entertainer to national office again. Even Franken sold us out on the net neutrality and copyright fights.

bfv  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·

William F Buckley got what he wanted; a party of human skidmarks "shouting 'stop.'"

forwardslash  ·  975 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bugski: Monospaced font doesn't appear in post previews

Thanks for the bugski. For the preview we use customized version of a javascript markdown library which isn't a perfect one-to-one comparison to the formatting that happens when you submit. I pushed a fix that I should fix this issue now.

lm  ·  975 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks!

forwardslash  ·  1116 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is search broken or disabled again?

Tagging them bugski is alright, but you can pm mk rob and I, or use the github repo issues which I've been meaning to make more use of.

We've been moving a bunch of stuff into a proper database and it looks like it may have borked some things like these, thanks for catching it!

FuzzyWords  ·  1116 days ago  ·  link  ·

No problem, also where should I report this kind of bugs to avoid cluttering the feed or the global page?

forwardslash  ·  1116 days ago  ·  link  ·

forwardslash  ·  1117 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: So much spam right now, is it possible to do something about URL shorteners?

I'm on it, but mobile at the moment. Going to be doing something more permanent once I'm home.

FuzzyWords  ·  1117 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks but if you are busy you can do it later, there is no hurry.

forwardslash  ·  1151 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: DIYski! What have you been up to around the house?

I'm nowhere near as handy as most of you, so the most DIY thing I've been up to has been working on completing our Cat Highway that goes around our main room. One of the latest additions was this cat bridge across our bedroom door

forwardslash  ·  1151 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ITunes will never work well

Ha! Through constant frustration; it hardens those memories quickly.

goobster  ·  1150 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've given up on music almost entirely. There just is no good way to sort, parse, select, and play music any more.

The only time I hear music now is on hold, or when my wife asks me if I want her to fire up Pandora while I'm cooking in the kitchen.

I miss music.

forwardslash  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bugski: For the life of me, I can't get into the comments section for this post

Ha, yeah, we're looking into this at the moment. Something in bfv's feed or user data is probably borked at the moment.

forwardslash  ·  1193 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Badge popups aren't working for me

drat, thanks for the catch!

forwardslash  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is the search button broken ?

It should be back now! Sorry for the delay.

forwardslash  ·  1278 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beta Features

Nothing at the moment, unfortunately. As we continue to develop we hope to open source more of hubski and its tools so people can help work on it. For now it's just this, which mostly some extensions of a compiler. We'll definitely keep the community informed with the #devski tag though.