demure's comments
demure  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘Hyperalarming’ study shows massive insect loss

Pretty fitting for a wrong link, though...

veen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

God dammit...

Shame on me. Was gonna post both but confused my tabs.

demure  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Read Kavanaugh's Op-Ed in the WSJ
nowaypablo  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! Reminder for students of Hubski, your .edu email gets you really cheap subscriptions.

demure  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Meet Yusaku Maezawa, SpaceX’s First Moon Voyage Customer

That's not strictly the case.

As an aside, the dude is investing a not insignificant sum into the development of BFR.

It's not exactly easy (or cheap) to design and fly a rocket that big.

the VC is a prettier watch but the Krayon does a better job of displaying sunrise and sunset.

And the Ochs & Junior is a factor of ten cheaper but you gotta send it into the shop to get new cams cut if you move.

demure  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

John Singer Sargent! Wonderful portraitist.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
demure  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 25, 2018

Nothing fancy, barkeep. Just stopping in for a minute.

It's slowly dawning on me that a problem that I have at work is NP-hard. Fun fun.

Vancouver this weekend, Orcas Island next.

demure  ·  111 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Brave Introduces Beta of Private Tabs with Tor for Enhanced Privacy while Browsing

I use DDG as primary on desktop. I also frequently make use of the ! syntax (eg !g for Googling, !wiki for Wikipedia, !smile for Amazon, !wa for WolframAlpha, etc), which made the transition much easier. !g allows me to use Google for stuff I know DDG will choke on.

demure  ·  124 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

Freshroast SR 500. Operating principle is that of a fancy popcorn popper. Chaff collector, variable heat, fan speed and timing.

demure  ·  125 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

Where in hell's bells do you get fresh beans for $9/lb in Seattle?

I just bought a roaster; should pay for itself in about 3 months or so at $5/lb green beans.

ButterflyEffect  ·  125 days ago  ·  link  ·

What roaster did you pick up?

demure  ·  124 days ago  ·  link  ·

demure  ·  134 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Death in the Alpine

The White Mountains are no joke. On a summer trip I got caught out with a rain that turned from mild to not-fun over the span of an hour, with large wind gusts catching us on exposed ridge for a couple miles until we could go below treeline again.

WanderingEng  ·  133 days ago  ·  link  ·

The more I read about the Whites, I'm a little surprised how different they sound from the Adirondacks. It's like that additional 800' of elevation of the highest handful of peaks makes all the difference with long exposed ridges. In the Adirondacks you might get a mile of being exposed, but it dips back down into the trees pretty quickly. And a mile catches plenty of people off guard. I can think of two pretty serious but thankfully successful rescues because people got stuck above the treeline just in that short distance.

demure  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

oh by the way when will you be returning to the PNW? I will be gone overseas from next weekend until beginning of July.

Off'n'on every 10 days through September.

demure  ·  147 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018