coffeesp00ns's comments

You do something about it you become POOR.

Ah yes, that greatest of American Sins.

OftenBen  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

An interesting tangent, the use of the word 'Sin' is on a big rise as far as the written word goes.

Or at least that's what Google says.

bfv  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

The graph only goes up to 2008, and the jump covers the period where public funding for science took off and more and more books were mentioning the other sin.

OftenBen  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for shining that light.

I mean, if you know that it would, maybe you should like, do something about it instead of hiding it away and making it worse? Just food for thought, y'know.

Naaah. You shine it on the problem goes away. You do something about it you become POOR.

coffeesp00ns  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

You do something about it you become POOR.

Ah yes, that greatest of American Sins.

OftenBen  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or at least that's what Google says.

bfv  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for shining that light.

coffeesp00ns  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Arguments For/Against Assisted Dying

I'll be honest, the only argument I accept against assisted dying is if the patient can be shown to be incapable of making informed decisions themself (i.e. dementia, degradation of mental acuity, etc). I think we try and keep our loved ones living in poor health too long, because we don't want to let go.

I saw it happen with my grandma on my mom's side. She was in her late 70s, and had lung cancer. She was not going to recover, and she knew it, so she decided not to seek treatment. My mom flew out to be with the rest of her family as they convinced her to go on chemo and radiation therapy, and she did, because she loved her children. But by accepting that, they removed her agency in choosing her method and time of death, and instead she hung on for maybe eight more months, lying in her recliner because it was the only place she could be comfortable enough to sleep, and slowly waiting in pain for the end as her breaths got shallower.

I look at that situation and I see my mother as being selfish. So you weren't ready for your mom to die - No one ever is. It's not like she's some dog you can keep limping along because you're too attached to see that you're keeping them alive for you, and not for them. She deserved the right to die, then, even though Canada didn't have it at the time. She deserved to be able to avoid those months of pain and waiting for the reaper to show up like the ghost in It Follows.

I think she's probably got a shitton of trauma herself and has convinced herself that pushing it all down and "being strong" like she has is the only solution.

Doesn't make what she said okay, but I do feel bad for her. Very few people get into that many hard drugs because they're "fun". It's usually a form of escape or self harm at that point.

I'm totally okay with her saying whatever she wants. The arrayed starfuckers and fleshpeddlers monetizing shock and disgust at the ill-thought half-baked musings of a has-been? THEM fuckers I could do without.

Nobody woke up this morning and said "I wonder whether Lindsay Lohan has rethought her comments on Harvey Weinstein." Laura Ingraham? Yeah that bitch is dangerous.

tacocat  ·  43 days ago  ·  link  ·

Point taken. But I know a lot of people who seemed to do heroin because it was fun. 12 Step recovery works incredibly well for Phish fans who did drugs in order to endure endless guitar soloing

oyster  ·  43 days ago  ·  link  ·

It’s like poor people looking down on other poor people for not helping themselves because they don’t want to feel helpless about their own situation.

There's a fourth (Resurrection),unless you're trying to forget it exists - which some Aliens fans do.

Alien.

Alien is so many things. It is a fantastic sci-fi movie, monster movie, horror movie. Alien, and the sequel, Aliens, are two of my favourite movies of all time.

psychoticmilkman  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·

I need to watch more Alien movies. I've only seen the first and that was only recently. It was pretty excellent.

francopoli  ·  58 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are only three Alien movies. The first two are fantastic the third is meh.

coffeesp00ns  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

coffeesp00ns  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Major League Baseball launching MLB Crypto

What a brave new world we live in.

oops! sure. I'll do that right now.

edit: lemme know if that worked!

rezzeJ  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, thanks!

thenewgreen  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m excited to hear what you add rezzeJ. It’s been too long, old friend. Hope you are well!

It felt swampy, so I added a swampy bass -

rezzeJ  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice, can you make the download available? I've got some bits I'd like to add to it.

coffeesp00ns  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

oops! sure. I'll do that right now.

edit: lemme know if that worked!

rezzeJ  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, thanks!

thenewgreen  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great to hear you again, sp00ns! Thanks for adding

I want to add. Lemme try some stuff out tomorrow.

thenewgreen  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome!!

coffeesp00ns  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·

It felt swampy, so I added a swampy bass -

rezzeJ  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

coffeesp00ns  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

oops! sure. I'll do that right now.

edit: lemme know if that worked!

rezzeJ  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, thanks!

thenewgreen  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great to hear you again, sp00ns! Thanks for adding

coffeesp00ns  ·  78 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Breaking: entertainment industry promotes unhealthy views of minority group

Indeed, Trans people are actively saying "Listen, if you won't cast a trans person in this role, at least cast a cis person of the appropriate gender in the role." We've been saying it for a long time. In the case of this most recent role, We even have a great option - Oliver Platt, a "name brand" actor, is a DEAD RINGER for Tex. The only problem is he's 6'3", but I feel like we can work around that. Platt's got a bunch of award nods, he's been in a bunch of notable films and tv, and he looks like the guy (unlike Johannsen).

In regards to situations like Transamerica, and Boys Don't Cry, and other older films, we need to look at them through the lens of history. At the time, just making a film about a transgender person was groundbreaking. Just being represented, even though it wasn't by a trans person, was huge for the community after decades of being seen as nothing more than sex workers and murder victims on screen (of course, Brandon Teena was a murder victim, but at least we got his story first instead of just his dead body at the beginning of a Law and Order episode).

Transparent had criticism from the trans community right from the very beginning, but it was hushed for the same reason - popular show with a trans main character, we should be grateful. Then it came out that Tambor abused the trans women on the set (as well as women on other sets, such as Arrested Development), and all of that criticism came back like a dam had broken. "We told you so," "why didn't you cast a trans woman in the role in the first place", etc.

Basically, the trans community is sick of being the equivalent of Alec Baldwin playing Harriet Tubman. We get it, you need to make money to make a film, but there are so many better options than what you're choosing and it's like you (by you I mean the industry) are trying to be tone deaf.

All while balancing out the market forces that

- lose their shit when the human torch is black

- terrorize Leslie Jones for being a woman or something

- goes batshit over a black James Bond

I have no idea if these statistics are accurate, but if 0.58% of the population of the US is transgender, that means that less than half of one percent of less than half of the entertainment market is being misrepresented to everyone else. It also means that if more than one in 200 roles is transgender, then transgendered people are being over-represented in Hollywood.

I'll bet that number is under 1 in a thousand.

tacocat  ·  78 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think they're intentionally tone deaf. It's my opinion that the rapid advancement of the trans rights movement compared to other civil rights issues makes it difficult for people who may be well intentioned to treat the subject with respect. As you point out it was a community that accepted crumbs like 20 years ago and now has the international attention that other LGBT communities gained over a longer time line.

Public opinion on vanilla homosexuality changed slowly and at this point people who may still be against gay rights seem to feel like they've been tossed unwillingly into the deep end of an issue related to something they are at best uncomfortable with.

Anyway I don't envy studio heads who have to make decisions about LGBTQIA topics

coffeesp00ns  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Justice Kennedy's son was Trump's banker at Deutsche Bank

coffeesp00ns  ·  87 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: No more analytics

10/10 decision.

These people (myself included) are advocating for better mental health access for men online and in real life. I've got a brother who came home from the military with a lot of mental health issues, and I do my best to be an ally and advocate for him in particular. It makes me sad that you don't believe me, but I'm not going to push this any further.

francopoli  ·  108 days ago  ·  link  ·

Never said I don't believe you. You and I appear to be having two separate conversations. It happens in text based communications. Hope the bother is doing well.

fuck, him and Kate Spade in one week.

He was a great example for a lot of people I know who worked in kitchens, trying to get clean. My heart goes out to his kids, especially. He never struck me as a perfect person, but he definitely struck me as a person who tried to be better.