coffeesp00ns's comments

I get that, but I'm more commenting on the fact that the choice to stop working on domestic terrorism is connected to and linked with the cultural attitudes of both the US in general and the cultural attitudes of the police agencies, both of which are long standing problems that go back before the Civil War.

Now, "Choice" is sort of a weird word because in some ways it's less a conscious choice and more one that has a lot of subconscious elements to it, in addition to a level of context within the attitudes and fears of the times. Of course the US was looking outward in the aftermath of 9/11 - Who could blame them for doing that? but the continued focus on that area when there were warning bells going off domestically has a lot to do with those cultural attitudes, and the messaging of all of the state and federal governments since 9/11 (the Obama administration included).

No they didn't. They just didn't care, or in some cases were an active part of it. US Police having ties to the KKK and other white supremacist organizations is so supremely not news that it was noted as a growing problem in the Reconstruction.

bfv  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

Sure

but klansman cops is more of a local thing, the bigger problem is that looking into right-wing terrorism antagonizes the GOP.

ThurberMingus  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

The article is about more recent failings. How work on domestic terrorism almost completely stopped after 9/11/2001.

coffeesp00ns  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

coffeesp00ns  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Jordan Peterson is a weak-willed snowflake that cannot take criticism

The situation with non-passing trans people has gotten so toxic that cisgender women that don't "fit" into societal norms of what a woman should look like are now getting misgendered more often. My bass teacher for my masters degree is one such woman who has to deal with this.

Nepotist  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

>no, you misunderstand. What I'm saying is that the bill he's talking about is not the bill he'd be un trouble because of. He'd be in trouble because he's endangering his student's safety and discriminating against them on the basis of gender identity. It's not a "free speech" thing, it's a "endangering the life of a minority" thing.

He's endangering his student's safety by refusing to use their preferred pronouns? No, he isn't. No one is being put in danger by being referred to as she when they identify as he. Please explain your logic behind the assertion that someone's life is being endangered when someone else refuses to use their preferred pronouns

> And regarding non-passing trans people like Muscato, you just use your best guess first (which if you're not sure of someone's gender, should be "they/them" for simplicity's sake), and then if you're corrected, use the corrected pronoun. Real fucking simple.

I brought up Muscato because Muscato, in addition to not passing, believes that some women have penises, and that "If you're bothered by this, you can suck my dick.". I can't link the tweet because apparently I'm supposed to be a "new user" now, but just search "muscato suck my dick" to find the tweet.

Do you honestly not see why some people have issues with people like this? If Muscato had taken one of Peterson's classes, do you not see how Peterson, or many other teachers, would have an issue with someone like that wanting to be referred to as "she"? How is Muscato's life being put in danger by someone refusing to refer to him as "she"?

coffeesp00ns  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Jordan Peterson is a weak-willed snowflake that cannot take criticism

The lawsuits make him seem like a hypocrite, but they don't invalidate the point: that the idea of criminalizing the refusal to use someone's preferred pronouns is ridiculous.

No, he's still a hypocrite because you literally cannot use the laws as written to do what he says that you can. If you refuse to use someone's preferred pronouns, you're not a criminal, you're just a literal piece of human trash.

However, if you are in a position of power, such as a teacher, and you refuse to use that person's pronouns after having been corrected by the student, You not just a piece of human trash, you're also being discriminatory towards a transgender person and making them unsafe, which under Ontario law and Canadian Federal law, is likely to be a crime. That's never been tested, and there's never been a court case, so we don't know full legal arguments for both sides, but I don't think that the teacher in that situation would have a leg to stand on, legally, especially considering "free speech" as it is defined in the public conscience, is not actually protected as such in Canada. You can't just say whatever you want here.

Nepotist  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

> No, he's still a hypocrite because you literally cannot use the laws as written to do what he says that you can.

>However, if you are in a position of power, such as a teacher, and you refuse to use that person's pronouns after having been corrected by the student

How is that not affirming that his objections to the bill were in fact justified? The original objection was how they compelled the use of pronouns that the user did not agree with. He is a teacher (or was; I'm sure he's made enough money by now to where he can probably retire), so for him this was a valid concern. Or would you honestly tell me that you don't see how someone could be concerned with the prospect of being made into a criminal if a Danielle Muscato type of person came into the room and you didn't refer to them as 'she'?

coffeesp00ns  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nepotist  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

oyster  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nobody is saying you just need to know as soon as somebody walks in. The point is that teachers and doctors need to be inclusive and that means being respectful enough to at least make an effort once somebody has made it clear to you. I’ve used the wrong pronouns before which was followed by an Ah fuck since I knew it slipped out. Nobody will make me a criminal for that no matter my profession. Nobody has a problem with honest effort to be better.

His argument is basically that he wants to be an asshole and treat some of his students like shit. Being afraid that you can’t be an asshole does not warrant sympathy. At least not in Canada. I know in America they’ve got that whole “die”(I’m soooo sure) for everybodies right to be an asshole but we’re not super into that up here, never really have been.

You do something about it you become POOR.

Ah yes, that greatest of American Sins.

OftenBen  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

An interesting tangent, the use of the word 'Sin' is on a big rise as far as the written word goes.

Or at least that's what Google says.

bfv  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

The graph only goes up to 2008, and the jump covers the period where public funding for science took off and more and more books were mentioning the other sin.

OftenBen  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for shining that light.

I mean, if you know that it would, maybe you should like, do something about it instead of hiding it away and making it worse? Just food for thought, y'know.

Naaah. You shine it on the problem goes away. You do something about it you become POOR.

coffeesp00ns  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

You do something about it you become POOR.

Ah yes, that greatest of American Sins.

OftenBen  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

Or at least that's what Google says.

bfv  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for shining that light.

coffeesp00ns  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Arguments For/Against Assisted Dying

I'll be honest, the only argument I accept against assisted dying is if the patient can be shown to be incapable of making informed decisions themself (i.e. dementia, degradation of mental acuity, etc). I think we try and keep our loved ones living in poor health too long, because we don't want to let go.

I saw it happen with my grandma on my mom's side. She was in her late 70s, and had lung cancer. She was not going to recover, and she knew it, so she decided not to seek treatment. My mom flew out to be with the rest of her family as they convinced her to go on chemo and radiation therapy, and she did, because she loved her children. But by accepting that, they removed her agency in choosing her method and time of death, and instead she hung on for maybe eight more months, lying in her recliner because it was the only place she could be comfortable enough to sleep, and slowly waiting in pain for the end as her breaths got shallower.

I look at that situation and I see my mother as being selfish. So you weren't ready for your mom to die - No one ever is. It's not like she's some dog you can keep limping along because you're too attached to see that you're keeping them alive for you, and not for them. She deserved the right to die, then, even though Canada didn't have it at the time. She deserved to be able to avoid those months of pain and waiting for the reaper to show up like the ghost in It Follows.

I think she's probably got a shitton of trauma herself and has convinced herself that pushing it all down and "being strong" like she has is the only solution.

Doesn't make what she said okay, but I do feel bad for her. Very few people get into that many hard drugs because they're "fun". It's usually a form of escape or self harm at that point.

I'm totally okay with her saying whatever she wants. The arrayed starfuckers and fleshpeddlers monetizing shock and disgust at the ill-thought half-baked musings of a has-been? THEM fuckers I could do without.

Nobody woke up this morning and said "I wonder whether Lindsay Lohan has rethought her comments on Harvey Weinstein." Laura Ingraham? Yeah that bitch is dangerous.

tacocat  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·

Point taken. But I know a lot of people who seemed to do heroin because it was fun. 12 Step recovery works incredibly well for Phish fans who did drugs in order to endure endless guitar soloing

oyster  ·  94 days ago  ·  link  ·

It’s like poor people looking down on other poor people for not helping themselves because they don’t want to feel helpless about their own situation.

There's a fourth (Resurrection),unless you're trying to forget it exists - which some Aliens fans do.

Alien.

Alien is so many things. It is a fantastic sci-fi movie, monster movie, horror movie. Alien, and the sequel, Aliens, are two of my favourite movies of all time.

psychoticmilkman  ·  110 days ago  ·  link  ·

I need to watch more Alien movies. I've only seen the first and that was only recently. It was pretty excellent.

francopoli  ·  109 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are only three Alien movies. The first two are fantastic the third is meh.

coffeesp00ns  ·  103 days ago  ·  link  ·

coffeesp00ns  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Major League Baseball launching MLB Crypto

What a brave new world we live in.

oops! sure. I'll do that right now.

edit: lemme know if that worked!

rezzeJ  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, thanks!

thenewgreen  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m excited to hear what you add rezzeJ. It’s been too long, old friend. Hope you are well!

It felt swampy, so I added a swampy bass -

rezzeJ  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice, can you make the download available? I've got some bits I'd like to add to it.

coffeesp00ns  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

oops! sure. I'll do that right now.

edit: lemme know if that worked!

rezzeJ  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, thanks!

thenewgreen  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great to hear you again, sp00ns! Thanks for adding

I want to add. Lemme try some stuff out tomorrow.

thenewgreen  ·  124 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome!!

coffeesp00ns  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

It felt swampy, so I added a swampy bass -

rezzeJ  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

coffeesp00ns  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

oops! sure. I'll do that right now.

edit: lemme know if that worked!

rezzeJ  ·  122 days ago  ·  link  ·

Got it, thanks!

thenewgreen  ·  114 days ago  ·  link  ·

thenewgreen  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

Great to hear you again, sp00ns! Thanks for adding

coffeesp00ns  ·  129 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Breaking: entertainment industry promotes unhealthy views of minority group

Indeed, Trans people are actively saying "Listen, if you won't cast a trans person in this role, at least cast a cis person of the appropriate gender in the role." We've been saying it for a long time. In the case of this most recent role, We even have a great option - Oliver Platt, a "name brand" actor, is a DEAD RINGER for Tex. The only problem is he's 6'3", but I feel like we can work around that. Platt's got a bunch of award nods, he's been in a bunch of notable films and tv, and he looks like the guy (unlike Johannsen).

In regards to situations like Transamerica, and Boys Don't Cry, and other older films, we need to look at them through the lens of history. At the time, just making a film about a transgender person was groundbreaking. Just being represented, even though it wasn't by a trans person, was huge for the community after decades of being seen as nothing more than sex workers and murder victims on screen (of course, Brandon Teena was a murder victim, but at least we got his story first instead of just his dead body at the beginning of a Law and Order episode).

Transparent had criticism from the trans community right from the very beginning, but it was hushed for the same reason - popular show with a trans main character, we should be grateful. Then it came out that Tambor abused the trans women on the set (as well as women on other sets, such as Arrested Development), and all of that criticism came back like a dam had broken. "We told you so," "why didn't you cast a trans woman in the role in the first place", etc.

Basically, the trans community is sick of being the equivalent of Alec Baldwin playing Harriet Tubman. We get it, you need to make money to make a film, but there are so many better options than what you're choosing and it's like you (by you I mean the industry) are trying to be tone deaf.

All while balancing out the market forces that

- lose their shit when the human torch is black

- terrorize Leslie Jones for being a woman or something

- goes batshit over a black James Bond

I have no idea if these statistics are accurate, but if 0.58% of the population of the US is transgender, that means that less than half of one percent of less than half of the entertainment market is being misrepresented to everyone else. It also means that if more than one in 200 roles is transgender, then transgendered people are being over-represented in Hollywood.

I'll bet that number is under 1 in a thousand.

tacocat  ·  129 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think they're intentionally tone deaf. It's my opinion that the rapid advancement of the trans rights movement compared to other civil rights issues makes it difficult for people who may be well intentioned to treat the subject with respect. As you point out it was a community that accepted crumbs like 20 years ago and now has the international attention that other LGBT communities gained over a longer time line.

Public opinion on vanilla homosexuality changed slowly and at this point people who may still be against gay rights seem to feel like they've been tossed unwillingly into the deep end of an issue related to something they are at best uncomfortable with.

Anyway I don't envy studio heads who have to make decisions about LGBTQIA topics