Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
caelum19's comments
caelum19  ·  1121 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 3 Questions with @steve

technical standards

Have you seen Mr.Robot? What do you think of it? It seems to break them when the protagonist feels uneasy, so that the viewer does too.

steve  ·  1120 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have seen Mr. Robot. Hmmm... this will be a nuanced answer....

There are things about Mr. Robot that I love. There are things about Mr. Robot that I feel like are lacking. My thoughts on Mr. Robot could be a good one for one of these "Steve's musings on film" posts.

The creators certainly break some rules... they "break the 4th wall" on a regular basis, and in a very in-your-face sort of way. But they're far from the first to do this. They also run fake adverts for E-Corp occasionally - so that if you're watching it on DVR - you might miss them.

caelum19  ·  1127 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 19, 2016

I teach Java(the class is called Computer Science but has just been Java so far) on Saturdays, and have recently had difficulty catching the 'students''(maybe it's too casual to call them that?) attention as we've been doing more object-oriented stuff(objects, instance and static properties etc.). I've not been able to make very captivating examples, because for the real use of objects to shine over spaghetti monster code requires they'd have to be pretty massive.

Anyway, last Saturday I did just a little bit on exceptions and adding jars to the classpath and then we made IRC bots(Using Pircbot, that kind of networking is a little bit much right now...). They loved it, normally they'd be content watching Youtube(it's a very informal class) while they waited for me to help them with their problems, but last Saturday they were fighting for my attention rather than me fighting for theirs. And when they went on to do their own things with the IRC bots, things I went through in previous weeks visibly clicked with them.

Maybe that was just an instance of a bad teacher becoming a less bad teacher, but I think it helps just to have fun with your students in your subject every now and then.

Have you ever started taking a class with no intentions of putting in more than minimum effort, but then been won over by the teacher/subject?

snoodog  ·  1127 days ago  ·  link  ·

I liked Computer science because I had a great teacher in highschool but I was also there by choice. I guess you need to ask yourself why you students are there in the first place? Is it a mandatory class? Is it elective? Is it just because seniors have nothing better to do on saturdays.

It sounds like you already found something that inspires your students. The IRC bots are interesting, you could just take it apart piece by piece and show them how it works. Then have them remake it. I think that was a big miss about my programming experience when I was younger. We never got to work with real professional level code so it was really hard to see what best practices were. Also reading published code is a real skill that is very valuable that doesn't get enough early emphasis.

To answer your question, yes. If the professor is passionate about the subject Im pretty easily won over even if I otherwise don't give a fuck about the topic an don't ever see using the info but you gotta be really f-ing good.

caelum19  ·  1130 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: John Perry Barlow's Principles of Adult Behavior

- Reduce your use of the first personal pronoun

I love the wording of this. Scratch that. That's brilliant wording.

Any thoughts about the reasoning behind this?

lm  ·  1130 days ago  ·  link  ·

Probably to avoid centering things on yourself; perhaps to reduce the distinction you draw between yourself and 'the world'. A more holistic view.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1130 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is an enlightening perspective. Thank you for putting it that way.

caelum19  ·  1166 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: So apparently Hillary Clinton fainted today and r/politics is on fire about it.

I faint whenever I look at blood for two long, or when someone describes it too vividly in text. And almost sometimes when I get up too fast while dehydrated.

caelum19  ·  1205 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ramblings because I can't sleep

To the people saying online communication is not close to real life interactions: How do you feel about video chat? Or do you need to be in i-trust-you-not-to-stab-or-shoot-me-distance?

I agree with the consensus expressed thus far, I'm just wondering how much closer to real you guys think video chat is.

caelum19  ·  1206 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 3, 2016

There's no way he's going to answer this question unfortunately.

caelum19  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 20, 2016

Also in Ireland! Where abouts are you, out of curiosity?

ThurberMingus  ·  1210 days ago  ·  link  ·

Southwest. Near Kinmare and Killarney mostly. But I'm leaving now, been to busy to see that you commented.

That's the third time I've seen Mr.Robot mentioned here including when I mentioned it.

high five

caelum19  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Show Hubski: Forever Labs

Amazing!

Are stem cells any more/less helpful/plentiful under 18? I assume under 18's aren't viable clients for legal reasons, I'm just curious.

b_b  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·

You are correct on the legal front. Perhaps correct on the science front too, but the issue hasn't been studied enough. Doing research of this sort on humans is quite difficult for many reasons (some good, some less so), and doing it on under age humans is close to impossible.

caelum19  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Leaked emails show how Democrats screwed Sanders

Assange is a big enough piece of shit

I don't know very much about him, what makes you say that?

Good point. That's actually along the lines of why I joined the railroad in Fallout 4 playing as a character which had my views.

caelum19  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I struggle with the concept of originality sometimes

Wow, thanks for your incredibly detailed response. As much as I want to, I don't think I could fully attain as healthy an outlook as that. I've always just been someone that wants to make people happy, even if they are jerks to me/others. A happy person is a happy person, right? I don't care that much about being recognised as the source of their happiness though, an attitude which would probably cause quite a lot of distress. I'm also pretty fond of the idea of making an impact on society, but maybe that's just because I'm young.

As someone who has recently been/is being parented, I think what you're working to show your daughter will be quite valuable, and I would certainly appreciate it when I'm older in her position. :)

Haha, that's exactly what a well-designed bot would say.

neurotransmissions  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

When a bot gets that good, does it matter anymore? :P

caelum19  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·

Just learned you're not a bot, and wanted to say how amazing these videos are. Keep up the great work :)

neurotransmissions  ·  1237 days ago  ·  link  ·

How can you be sure I'm not a bot? Lol, jk. I appreciate the compliment!

caelum19  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

Haha, that's exactly what a well-designed bot would say.

neurotransmissions  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

When a bot gets that good, does it matter anymore? :P

caelum19  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·

caelum19  ·  1237 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I struggle with the concept of originality sometimes

That seems like the better of the two and what I'm trying to achieve.

To what extent are the damns not given? If you had the option to either make people slightly happier and love you for it, or a lot happier and hate you for it, which would you take? What about slightly happier and end up a hitler in their eyes(assuming the net happiness increase outweights the decrease in happiness from their hatred of you)?

Another question, if you don't mind, do you value your own happiness the same as you value other's?

cgod  ·  1236 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think we have different conceptions of happiness.

I could give some sort of transient happiness to someone else, a new computer, a meal or $100 bucks. It's a sort of happiness.

If you can't be a happy ditch digger than you don't know how to be happy.

I've known poor happy idiots and others who were brilliant or rich who were extremely unhappy. Happiness is at best a personal affliction. Some people will never achieve it, either through a lack of self examination or a lack of suitable brain chemistry. A few people will have such lives of pain that it will never be for them. The rest of us have to find a path that leaves us a peace with who we are and achieve some quality of understanding in our faults and failures and learn how to cope with the problem of pain.

I don't depend on others to make me happy, I don't depend on possessions to make me happy. Probably relates to not caring a lot about what other people think.

Our society is pretty dependent on people caring about what others think. Do you have the whitest whites, is your fully functional but old car making you look like a schmuck, do you have an I phone? What's everybody thinking about you, are you measuring up. Stay unhappy, feel needful, buy more.

I don't have any answers to any of these things that matter. I'm not looking for people to love me more than they do for me being me. I would be OK with being hated if I did something that I thought it was the right thing to do. I'm certainly not capable or interested in maximizing societal utility to my detriment, I lead a little life that is of little overall consequence.

At least my interactions and relationships have a chance at authenticity. I'm not putting on a show and am inviting people to engage with me on a real level. I like to have fun social interactions and am mostly enthusiastic about getting to know people. I do a lot of bullshitting for the money on the job but am just as willing to drop the facade if the people I'm dealing with are down with it. The show is an acceptable thing for me in exchange of filthy lucer.

I value my families happiness and am willing to sacrifice some of my happiness for their benefit. As I don't believe that I can make others happy in any real sense, I certainly don't spend a lot of time worrying about weather I'm going around making everyone happy all the time. People are responsible for their own feelings, you only impose feeling upon yourself, you are responsible for your reactions to the way other people treat you. If you saw the nastiest review I ever received on Yelp it'd drop your jaw but I pretty much just gave it a dry chuckle and was confirmed in my estimation that the guy who left was just as an unhappy nasty prick as he seemed during the interaction that inspired his review.

I'm more worried about being a pro-social (as opposed to being anti-social) person than making people happy. I'm more likely to tell someone they are a bastard if they are abusing a clerk or a bus driver in my presence, even if it causes a scene and ruffles some feathers. I think it's important to treat everyone with as much respect and tolerance as you can muster, even if they are a bit difficult as long as they aren't acting with bad intentions. I don't think it's important to worry about weather they are unhappy.

I'm working hard to help my five year old understand that possessions and fulfilling material desires isn't what makes her happy. I'm trying to help her understand that she isn't responsible for and doesn't need to suffer mental anguish when people don't give her the love that she desires. I want her to understand that she is in charge of her own feelings and that the best she can do make an honest attempt to be a good friend who likes to enjoy other peoples company. It's a hard and strange world for a five year old, bombarded by advertising which pushes all their buttons of desire, wanting to best friends with other kids who attentions are sometimes fickle. All you can really do is help them try and find a center and some self worth and the ability to self examine.

caelum19  ·  1228 days ago  ·  link  ·