bfv's comments

Sure

but klansman cops is more of a local thing, the bigger problem is that looking into right-wing terrorism antagonizes the GOP.

bfv  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Romantic Parson who has fallen upon Hard Times

Romantic Romantic with Ulterior Motives
mk  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ooh, that's the best one.

bfv  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This Brass Band Cover Of Tool’s “Lateralus” Is An Impressive Feat

Clocknaits are a serious problem. You can miss a meeting reading the time off a microwave timer or stopwatch!

bhrgunatha  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm following #stopclocknait now.

Don't let me down hubski!

darlinareyousleepy  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

So it is said.

bfv  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Panasonic's human blinkers help people concentrate in open-plan offices

Not to contradict a Texan on horses, but wikipedia implies they're the same thing?

The Texan is correct. Limeys call them "blinkers" as in "he's very blinkered in his outlook." Americans call the "blinders" as in " I must have blinders on when I walk around town because I didn't notice any of those new businesses that are opening."

The limeys being limeys, however, will fully acknowledge that if you cover the whole head of the horse with a blinker, you can call it a blinder.

The limeys think aluminum is spelled with two "i"s.

am_Unition  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

Huh, interesting.

bfv  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Bermuda Triangle of Wealth

Sure there are positive reasons to vote for Democrats. They don't generally want to put children in cages, prevent anyone who isn't old and white from voting, inject the bible into medicine and education, deregulate all the things even when it is obviously and stupidly self-destructive, ..., but you know all that. The Democrats are inadequate, and it is horrible that they're the best viable option. But they're the best viable option. See about helping out Mutual Aid Disaster Relief or something if you really want to try to change that. But also vote Capitalist Shill over Foaming At The Mouth Barbarian every two years too, because it's not like it's hard and more of the same really is better than outright malice.

bfv  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Three Cheers for Price Gouging During Hurricane Florence

If the market decides not to distribute resources to you, who are we to judge?

Read enough Reason in one sitting and economics starts sounding an awful lot like theology.

bfv  ·  63 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A brief history of batshit conservative boycotts

On the one hand, it's admirably consistent. The American right freaks out about broken windows at protests, and they only destroy their own property in protest. It's weird, but it's consistent.

On the other hand, the American right has a habit of killing people instead.

bfv  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Happens When Fandom Doesn't Grow Up?

I'd much rather no one gave a shit about us. Comics were a lot more fun when they weren't prototypes for movies, and comic conventions were more fun when they were about comics.

Also get off my lawn.

francopoli  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Bazinga Effect gets most of the blame. About 2005-2006 is when the shit really came to a head. ComicCon went to pot when actors discovered cosplay was a way to get noticed and build a fan base.

Video games now make more money that movies and music combined. That type of money attracts vermin of all stripes and pushes out the people who made the fandom in the first place.

This image floats around the chan boards and is sort of fits. Remove the incel crap language and it follows a few of the fandoms I've been in.

I'm having a hard time with this.

EC-era comics had a bigger audience than TV and radio combined. Fuckin' everyone was reading comics. Then in the '50s things got stupid and the comics industry knuckled the fuck under and became the shit landscape of Archie and Batgirl we all know and despise. Frank Miller and Alan Moore dragged that shit out of the gutter but the distance between Miller's Dark Knight and gravel-voiced Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger is three goddamn years and if you were ten when Jack Nicholson played The Joker you're fuckin' 41 now. Fuckin' 81 editions of those four comics. You don't get to pretend you're lone nerds keeping the flame of fandom alight when the fuckin' New York Times reviews your goddamn comic.

Comics started incredibly popular. By the time Comics went through their bullshit "I'm so edgy" renaissance they'd been subject to congressional hearings. ComicCon? Fuck off, George Lucas premiered his trailer for Star Wars there in '76.

George Reeves is 60 years dead. This idea that comics were ever some pure thing untouched by the creeping tendrils of commercialism is offensively elitist and the fact that Chanistan thinks that somehow shit was cooler on vinyl makes me further question what the fuck you get out of Chanistan.

bfv  ·  71 days ago  ·  link  ·

Frank Miller didn't do anything Dennis O'Neil hadn't done with Batman and Green Arrow a decade before. O'Neil was even his editor on Daredevil, where he started writing and made his reputation. Dark Knight happened because Dick Giordano wanted a Batman comic to wash the Adam West off the perception of Batman and bring it closer to what they'd been doing for years, and Frank Miller was available. The 'bullshit "I'm so edgy" renaissance' was like the Renaissance in the sense that it was 80% hype and 20% changes that had started long before anyone declared a rebirth.

...see, and I remember comics from my cousins from the late '60s and early '70s that were every bit as edgy as the goddamn Dark Knight.

But I don't even think those comics were worth anything then or now because nobody gave a fuck.

bfv  ·  96 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SPACE FORCE

WTF are we going to send the military to Mars for?

bfv  ·  126 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

Go read Promethea. Alan Moore is great for that stuff, he cheerfully acknowledges it's all imaginary but thinks it's valuable anyway.

tacocat  ·  126 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've not read Promethea but I know enough about it to be unsure if it would help me understand how serious he is in his worship of a forgotten Roman snake God. I'm also ambivalent about if that question needs to be answered

bfv  ·  135 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 285th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

My boss's daughter used to camp out in the back of my office listening to the music when he'd bring her in then be in meetings all day. I had a spare external hard drive laying around, so I gave her a copy of my mp3 collection.

My boss was very annoyed with me when she did a school presentation on her favorite poet, Lydia Lunch.

I ported Doom to BeOS back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I'm still convinced that if they'd gotten a Maya/Houdini/whatever port they'd have gotten the SGI refugees that eventually settled for OsX and survived.

On the same note, Tcl/Tk. It's sick and wrong from a programming language geek perspective, but it's still the easiest way to do all the parts of software that suck and bends over backwards to make it easy to use something else for the interesting parts.

Maybe I'm showing my age making this comparison, but shoplifting a card is easier than shoplifting a magazine.

bfv  ·  182 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Make Frontend Shit Again

Yeah, that was weird to me too. I think it's included because JQuery has a very low barrier to entry, and has become unfashionable in favor of more complicated libraries. Which isn't a problem limited to the web; I don't think I would have bothered to learn much about graphics if I'd had to do it with modern OpenGL or Vulkan for example.

bfv  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Trouble with Real-World Stuff

Too late for them, but on the off chance it comes up again there are almost always at least a handful of people in any CS department who pick locks for fun, and the cheapo Master combination locks on most school lockers are really easy to open.