bfv's comments
bfv  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A brief history of batshit conservative boycotts

On the one hand, it's admirably consistent. The American right freaks out about broken windows at protests, and they only destroy their own property in protest. It's weird, but it's consistent.

On the other hand, the American right has a habit of killing people instead.

bfv  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Happens When Fandom Doesn't Grow Up?

I'd much rather no one gave a shit about us. Comics were a lot more fun when they weren't prototypes for movies, and comic conventions were more fun when they were about comics.

Also get off my lawn.

francopoli  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Bazinga Effect gets most of the blame. About 2005-2006 is when the shit really came to a head. ComicCon went to pot when actors discovered cosplay was a way to get noticed and build a fan base.

Video games now make more money that movies and music combined. That type of money attracts vermin of all stripes and pushes out the people who made the fandom in the first place.

This image floats around the chan boards and is sort of fits. Remove the incel crap language and it follows a few of the fandoms I've been in.

I'm having a hard time with this.

EC-era comics had a bigger audience than TV and radio combined. Fuckin' everyone was reading comics. Then in the '50s things got stupid and the comics industry knuckled the fuck under and became the shit landscape of Archie and Batgirl we all know and despise. Frank Miller and Alan Moore dragged that shit out of the gutter but the distance between Miller's Dark Knight and gravel-voiced Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger is three goddamn years and if you were ten when Jack Nicholson played The Joker you're fuckin' 41 now. Fuckin' 81 editions of those four comics. You don't get to pretend you're lone nerds keeping the flame of fandom alight when the fuckin' New York Times reviews your goddamn comic.

Comics started incredibly popular. By the time Comics went through their bullshit "I'm so edgy" renaissance they'd been subject to congressional hearings. ComicCon? Fuck off, George Lucas premiered his trailer for Star Wars there in '76.

George Reeves is 60 years dead. This idea that comics were ever some pure thing untouched by the creeping tendrils of commercialism is offensively elitist and the fact that Chanistan thinks that somehow shit was cooler on vinyl makes me further question what the fuck you get out of Chanistan.

bfv  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

Frank Miller didn't do anything Dennis O'Neil hadn't done with Batman and Green Arrow a decade before. O'Neil was even his editor on Daredevil, where he started writing and made his reputation. Dark Knight happened because Dick Giordano wanted a Batman comic to wash the Adam West off the perception of Batman and bring it closer to what they'd been doing for years, and Frank Miller was available. The 'bullshit "I'm so edgy" renaissance' was like the Renaissance in the sense that it was 80% hype and 20% changes that had started long before anyone declared a rebirth.

...see, and I remember comics from my cousins from the late '60s and early '70s that were every bit as edgy as the goddamn Dark Knight.

But I don't even think those comics were worth anything then or now because nobody gave a fuck.

bfv  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SPACE FORCE

WTF are we going to send the military to Mars for?

bfv  ·  70 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

Go read Promethea. Alan Moore is great for that stuff, he cheerfully acknowledges it's all imaginary but thinks it's valuable anyway.

tacocat  ·  70 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've not read Promethea but I know enough about it to be unsure if it would help me understand how serious he is in his worship of a forgotten Roman snake God. I'm also ambivalent about if that question needs to be answered

bfv  ·  79 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 285th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

My boss's daughter used to camp out in the back of my office listening to the music when he'd bring her in then be in meetings all day. I had a spare external hard drive laying around, so I gave her a copy of my mp3 collection.

My boss was very annoyed with me when she did a school presentation on her favorite poet, Lydia Lunch.

I ported Doom to BeOS back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I'm still convinced that if they'd gotten a Maya/Houdini/whatever port they'd have gotten the SGI refugees that eventually settled for OsX and survived.

On the same note, Tcl/Tk. It's sick and wrong from a programming language geek perspective, but it's still the easiest way to do all the parts of software that suck and bends over backwards to make it easy to use something else for the interesting parts.

Maybe I'm showing my age making this comparison, but shoplifting a card is easier than shoplifting a magazine.

bfv  ·  126 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Make Frontend Shit Again

Yeah, that was weird to me too. I think it's included because JQuery has a very low barrier to entry, and has become unfashionable in favor of more complicated libraries. Which isn't a problem limited to the web; I don't think I would have bothered to learn much about graphics if I'd had to do it with modern OpenGL or Vulkan for example.

bfv  ·  128 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Trouble with Real-World Stuff

Too late for them, but on the off chance it comes up again there are almost always at least a handful of people in any CS department who pick locks for fun, and the cheapo Master combination locks on most school lockers are really easy to open.

bfv  ·  134 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Twenty-First Century Victorians

They have the same problem the old party newspapers had. They're committed to the one kind of analysis, and it's not appropriate for everything, but they need a certain volume of articles within a fixed span of time. But I don't think this post is ridiculous, its gist is the same as Graeber's work on manners, that having to follow the rules that are ingrained in the elites to interact easily with elites helps keep the elites' families elite.

bfv  ·  140 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Passion of Jordan Peterson

Reactionary gurus for Angry Young Men.

OftenBen  ·  140 days ago  ·  link  ·

Peterson is definitely not a reactionary if you are using that word to mean extreme conservative.

And people other than Angry Young Men find value in what he has to say.

Poe's Law makes fools of us all.

am_Unition  ·  158 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poe's Law has become increasingly annoying for anyone trying to understand politics in the last few years.

am_Unition  ·  158 days ago  ·  link  ·

All it would have taken me was one quick google search, but no, I couldn’t even do that.

bfv  ·  158 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poe's Law makes fools of us all.

am_Unition  ·  158 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  216 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Accidentally Turing-Complete
bfv  ·  219 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Millennials Are Making Memes About Wanting to Die

To be fair, Charles Addams got his start during the depression.