bfv's comments
bfv  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Strong Law of Small Numbers

Generating all primes is just as easy as testing for primes:

import math

def is_prime(n):

for m in range(2,int(math.sqrt(n))+1):

if n%m == 0:

return False

return True

def primes():

n = 2

while True:

if is_prime(n):

yield n

n += 1

for p in primes():

print p

it's just that we don't have useful ways to generate primes.

wasoxygen  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

And in 2019, I just entered the phrase "is 4294967297 prime" into a search engine. That level of effort might explain why I only got two out of three of the examples above correct (no better than chance!) before looking at the solutions.

But #1 stumped Fermat too! I didn't know that this problem sparked Euler's interest in number theory, according to "How Euler Did It" (4-page PDF). It was one of the many problems left over from the famous Fermat-Descartes correspondence.

Fermat and Descartes did not like each other very much. In fact, some people describe their relationship as a “feud,” but it seems that Descartes resented Fermat more than Fermat disliked Descartes. They probably never met.

I figured Euler must have scribbled out a lot of long division problems to crack the Fermat number conjecture. But apparently he found a shortcut.

[SPOILER]

Euler’s mentor in St. Petersburg, Christian Goldbach, alerted Euler to the conjecture in 1729. Euler responded almost immediately that he could make no progress on the problem, but by 1732, close to a hundred years after Fermat had originally made the conjecture, Euler had a solution: Fermat was wrong. In Euler’s first paper on number theory [E26] Euler announced that 641 divides 4,294,967,297.... What Euler did not tell us in E26 was how he thought to try to divide 4,294,967,297 by 641. He hadn’t simply been dividing by prime numbers until he got to 641. He had a much better way, but he waited about fifteen years, until E134, to reveal that secret.
bfv  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Much of the Internet Is Fake? Turns Out, a Lot of It, Actually.

... and then I find out what Chrome and Safari's default "automatically pay" amount is and request an empty file that costs that much every random() seconds on my clickbait site, which exists under many identities that I retire when they start getting added to blacklists. And the arms race continues, only instead of picking advertisers' pockets we're picking everyone's.

Absolutely. The difference is, if I'm an advertiser and I'm paying in CPM, I'm not paying attention to individual users. If someone is scamming me for .01% of my content I call that "breakage" and move on. But if I'm getting scammed I'm getting scammed and I care a lot more.

It's the difference between being shoplifted and being pickpocketed. Shoplifters target your business. Pickpockets target you. It's the degree of remove that allows most of this to go on and getting rid of that degree simplifies things.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if I'm the New York Times, I probably have no interest or reason to allow you on my site. You can't inject code. And if I've given money to a site that has allowed you to inject code in the past, I'm that much less likely to give money to that site in the future. What kind of nightclub are you running? The kind where you can get a drink and call a cab and be fine or the kind where you have to keep your hand over your drink because the GHB flows freely? There are probably reasons for both clubs to exist but if you try to be one while actually being the other you'll lose your clientele quickly. Right now it's all free and it's all supported by ads; as soon as users become the market instead of the marketplace users end up voting more.

bfv  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Interesting article about how startups fall into the traps laid by paid marketing

It's the Windows model: sell it to the management and the whole company's stuck with it.

all power to the pointy-haired

bfv  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The biggest brand in digital media has lost much of its lustre

I don't think anyone but marketers and people writing the thinkpieces about hipsters that preceded the thinkpieces about millennials killing things ever thought Vice was cool.

I don't disagree. But I also think that there are far, far too many "marketers and people writing the thinkpieces about hipsters."

Sure

but klansman cops is more of a local thing, the bigger problem is that looking into right-wing terrorism antagonizes the GOP.

bfv  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Romantic Parson who has fallen upon Hard Times

Romantic Romantic with Ulterior Motives
mk  ·  80 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ooh, that's the best one.

bfv  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This Brass Band Cover Of Tool’s “Lateralus” Is An Impressive Feat

Clocknaits are a serious problem. You can miss a meeting reading the time off a microwave timer or stopwatch!

bhrgunatha  ·  82 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm following #stopclocknait now.

Don't let me down hubski!

darlinareyousleepy  ·  82 days ago  ·  link  ·

So it is said.

bfv  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Panasonic's human blinkers help people concentrate in open-plan offices

Not to contradict a Texan on horses, but wikipedia implies they're the same thing?

The Texan is correct. Limeys call them "blinkers" as in "he's very blinkered in his outlook." Americans call the "blinders" as in " I must have blinders on when I walk around town because I didn't notice any of those new businesses that are opening."

The limeys being limeys, however, will fully acknowledge that if you cover the whole head of the horse with a blinker, you can call it a blinder.

The limeys think aluminum is spelled with two "i"s.

am_Unition  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·

Huh, interesting.

bfv  ·  93 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Bermuda Triangle of Wealth

Sure there are positive reasons to vote for Democrats. They don't generally want to put children in cages, prevent anyone who isn't old and white from voting, inject the bible into medicine and education, deregulate all the things even when it is obviously and stupidly self-destructive, ..., but you know all that. The Democrats are inadequate, and it is horrible that they're the best viable option. But they're the best viable option. See about helping out Mutual Aid Disaster Relief or something if you really want to try to change that. But also vote Capitalist Shill over Foaming At The Mouth Barbarian every two years too, because it's not like it's hard and more of the same really is better than outright malice.

bfv  ·  119 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Three Cheers for Price Gouging During Hurricane Florence

If the market decides not to distribute resources to you, who are we to judge?

Read enough Reason in one sitting and economics starts sounding an awful lot like theology.

bfv  ·  127 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A brief history of batshit conservative boycotts

On the one hand, it's admirably consistent. The American right freaks out about broken windows at protests, and they only destroy their own property in protest. It's weird, but it's consistent.

On the other hand, the American right has a habit of killing people instead.

bfv  ·  135 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Happens When Fandom Doesn't Grow Up?

I'd much rather no one gave a shit about us. Comics were a lot more fun when they weren't prototypes for movies, and comic conventions were more fun when they were about comics.

Also get off my lawn.

francopoli  ·  135 days ago  ·  link  ·

The Bazinga Effect gets most of the blame. About 2005-2006 is when the shit really came to a head. ComicCon went to pot when actors discovered cosplay was a way to get noticed and build a fan base.

Video games now make more money that movies and music combined. That type of money attracts vermin of all stripes and pushes out the people who made the fandom in the first place.

This image floats around the chan boards and is sort of fits. Remove the incel crap language and it follows a few of the fandoms I've been in.

I'm having a hard time with this.

EC-era comics had a bigger audience than TV and radio combined. Fuckin' everyone was reading comics. Then in the '50s things got stupid and the comics industry knuckled the fuck under and became the shit landscape of Archie and Batgirl we all know and despise. Frank Miller and Alan Moore dragged that shit out of the gutter but the distance between Miller's Dark Knight and gravel-voiced Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger is three goddamn years and if you were ten when Jack Nicholson played The Joker you're fuckin' 41 now. Fuckin' 81 editions of those four comics. You don't get to pretend you're lone nerds keeping the flame of fandom alight when the fuckin' New York Times reviews your goddamn comic.

Comics started incredibly popular. By the time Comics went through their bullshit "I'm so edgy" renaissance they'd been subject to congressional hearings. ComicCon? Fuck off, George Lucas premiered his trailer for Star Wars there in '76.

George Reeves is 60 years dead. This idea that comics were ever some pure thing untouched by the creeping tendrils of commercialism is offensively elitist and the fact that Chanistan thinks that somehow shit was cooler on vinyl makes me further question what the fuck you get out of Chanistan.

bfv  ·  135 days ago  ·  link  ·

Frank Miller didn't do anything Dennis O'Neil hadn't done with Batman and Green Arrow a decade before. O'Neil was even his editor on Daredevil, where he started writing and made his reputation. Dark Knight happened because Dick Giordano wanted a Batman comic to wash the Adam West off the perception of Batman and bring it closer to what they'd been doing for years, and Frank Miller was available. The 'bullshit "I'm so edgy" renaissance' was like the Renaissance in the sense that it was 80% hype and 20% changes that had started long before anyone declared a rebirth.

...see, and I remember comics from my cousins from the late '60s and early '70s that were every bit as edgy as the goddamn Dark Knight.

But I don't even think those comics were worth anything then or now because nobody gave a fuck.

bfv  ·  160 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: SPACE FORCE

WTF are we going to send the military to Mars for?

bfv  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 11, 2018

Go read Promethea. Alan Moore is great for that stuff, he cheerfully acknowledges it's all imaginary but thinks it's valuable anyway.

tacocat  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've not read Promethea but I know enough about it to be unsure if it would help me understand how serious he is in his worship of a forgotten Roman snake God. I'm also ambivalent about if that question needs to be answered

bfv  ·  199 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 285th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

My boss's daughter used to camp out in the back of my office listening to the music when he'd bring her in then be in meetings all day. I had a spare external hard drive laying around, so I gave her a copy of my mp3 collection.

My boss was very annoyed with me when she did a school presentation on her favorite poet, Lydia Lunch.