b_b's comments

The difference of course being that one was made up for no other reason than to stir racial resentment, and the other is an unlikely scenario that appears to explain otherwise inexplicable behavior.

b_b  ·  309 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Democratic civil war? The Left already wonx 2

The central challenge for Democrats in taking back the White House will hinge on the party’s ability to persuade a majority of Americans to support a more progressive agenda going forward.

Apparently, Mr. Sosnik isn't familiar with how the Electoral College works. A plurality of Americans already vote democratic, and have so in all but one presidential election since 1992. Democrats' problem isn't one of majorities; it's one of geographics. That is unlikely to change anytime soon, and moving further leftward will accelerate, not decelerate this phenomenon.

The leftward lurch has some real perils in it. The numbers cited above I think don't paint the whole picture. Immigration, e.g., wasn't much of a partisan fight until like 2015 when the Muslim Ban was first proposed. Immigration reform was the darling of W and the Kochs and was opposed by Bernie Sanders as recently as the beginning of the primary season. That dramatic 52 point shift has seen a lot of its movement only in the last couple years. Similarly, we're seeing a dramatic increase in "single payer" devotees in just the last half year. Democrats and liberals should be wary of getting caught in the "against Trump" vortex, and not let it color their chances of ever winning another presidential election.

Speaking of, NYT published an OpEd today calling for Al Franken's resignation. That's the level of crazy liberals are going to rise to in service of all things "against Trump". Of all the moronic OpEds NYT has published over the years, this one got me particularly pissed off (because when Erik Prince or John Bolton publish one they're easy to laugh off), because it represents the worst of the left mob: letting a staff writer (as opposed to a one off partisan) call for the head of one of America's finest senators because, well, Roy Moore is a child molester and Donald Trump is a rapist and we don't like them so everyone gets a trophy.

People need to keep their heads. America and the Democrats don't need a leftward push, especially one that's driven by "against Trump". We need a push toward sensible regulatory and tax reform, driven by a shared sense of community and compassion. That's not a leftist agenda, even though it sounds like one in today's world. It's a humanist agenda that the left has the best mandate to push. It will only happen, however, if we move past the identity driven leftism that's currently en vogue.

b_b  ·  333 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Y'all, Youse and You Guys talk

Too easy to spot where I'm from because only in Detroit is Devil's Night a thing. No matter how you pronounce any word, if you call October 30 Devil's Night, you're definitely from Detroit.

Odder  ·  333 days ago  ·  link  ·

Similarly, apparently only in New Jersey and New York City is it called "Mischief night" though from googling Mischief night seems comparatively more tame.

b_b  ·  465 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Senators aim to stop use of municipal funds to finance stadiums

This is definitely a piece of bi-partisan legislation I can get behind. Trump will veto, because what next? No public funds for Kushner to build luxury condos?

Here in Detroit, we now have three stadiums downtown, on the best real estate in the entire state, that were partially or totally funded by taxpayers. And now the Pistons want to move into the new Red Wings arena (from their current home in the burbs), but their owner (a multi-billionaire) is demanding $34 million for the move that he initiated. And the city (a couple years removed from bankruptcy) is probably going to pay. Fuck these guys so hard.

We were paying for the Kingdome 15 years after we blew it up.

Because Paul Allen wouldn't buy the Seahawks if we didn't.

user-inactivated  ·  465 days ago  ·  link  ·

In Missouri we had a law written that said all the stadium finance bills have to be put to a vote. And then the city of St. Louis said that their stadium finance bill didn't count, and decided not to have a vote. They got sued, but by then the Rams had left. Pretty obvious around here at the time that mortgaging schools and police to pay for stadiums for billionaires was not a popular move.

Same thing just happened with the scocer statidum that MLS was going to require to move in an MLS franchise expansion. A dedicated core of soccer fans found it within their hearts to spend other peole's money helping out poor little billionaires who just couldn't make the math work despite this being an overwhelming opportunity. That also failed hard with the people and is not giong forward.

That's the crux. Cities are told that the billionaires just can't make the finances work. If I went into a bank and said that my business plan doesn't work unless I get a huge amount of money from someone else, they would tell me that something in the business plan had to change. But there's no problem when team owners won't make the investment themselves.

b_b  ·  465 days ago  ·  link  ·

The NFL is particularly nauseating given that their TV deal is so lucrative that every team makes money before a single ticket is ever sold. Tickets and concessions are just gravy for every NFL owner. The lowest values franchise in the league according to Forbes is the Bills, at $1.4 billion, and pretty much every team has annual revenues in excess of $300 million. So a $500-700 million stadium can't be mortgaged against your multi-billion dollar franchise? Gimme a break. I only wish the Lions would have threatened to leave Detroit. Good riddance you hacks.

francopoli  ·  465 days ago  ·  link  ·

If Madison Square Garden cannot make a profit without the city chipping in tax money, how the fuck is St. Louis going to make that work?

I am opposed in full to the use of any and all tax dollars for sports complexes. The NFL, for example, is sitting on a fund of $40 Billion and is making the California taxpayers build its stadium in Los Angeles.

steve  ·  463 days ago  ·  link  ·

making the California taxpayers build its stadium in Los Angeles.

but they NEED that stadium... people won't move to LA if it doesn't have amenities like a professional football team...

user-inactivated  ·  465 days ago  ·  link  ·

If the NFL didn't fleece the taxpayers, they wouldn't be sitting on $40 Mil . . . Fuck I just re-read you said Billion and now I'm sad.

francopoli  ·  465 days ago  ·  link  ·
b_b  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Shake it up. Offer up one somewhat unpopular opinion that you hold.

if you receive public assistance, you lose the right to vote.

Literally everyone receives some form of public assistance. I'll choose low-hanging fruit as an illustrative example: tax advantages for having dependents.

WanderingEng  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

Mortgage interest tax deduction is another big one.

b_b  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

For sure, and that one only applies to upper middle class people. There are too many to name, really, even just looking at the tax code. The list could get exhaustive if we started talking about all the ways in which the government supports businesses that affect consumer prices (that again, mostly rich people benefit from). That number is large enough that the total dollar value of line item tax breaks for specific businesses is larger than the Bush tax cuts on the top income bracket (according to an NPR report from a couple years ago when the rollback of that tax was being debated). "Public assistance" is one of the things that illustrates the dire need we have for tax reform in this country. The one thing I agree with Trump on is that the system is rigged (although I'm not sure we'd agree on prescriptive solutions).

steve  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

The guy I was talking to was talking about food stamps, section 8 housing, and other forms of cash subsidies to the poor. For some reason he seems to want further disenfranchise the disenfranchised... or something.

His main contention was that as the population of people who are entirely reliant on governmental support grows, they will continue to only vote for public officers who commit to spend more on those systems.

b_b  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is he familiar with Medicare? How about real estate depreciation? Department of Defense contractors? Recipients of all of these programs routinely vote for candidates that support their continued existence, the difference being that old people, developers, and defense contractors have actual political power.

steve  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm sure he is... I'm also sure he only thinks of public assistance in forms that he, or his immediate family doesn't receive. He's just an angry conservative who thinks "they" are all out to get him.

and the "they" is a moving target.

b_b  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

My uncle once tried to claim that renters shouldn't have the right to vote for the same reason. Hate to generalize, but those people are all the same (salty old white dudes).

steve  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

salty old white dudes

yep... but strangely this dude's a little younger than me...

steve  ·  473 days ago  ·  link  ·

agreed - like I said - not mine... just one I heard. In fact, he and I got into a discussion because he went on to say "ok, maybe not no vote, but like a fractional vote" which I told him sounded a little like when slaves were counted as some fraction of a "person".

b_b  ·  758 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is This the Top-Secret KFC Recipe?

As I'm sure you well know, fried chicken should only be made with dark meat, the downside of which is that it has some connective tissue. Therefore, it should be brined. There are a lot of disagreements in the world about how long to brine, whether to add aromatics when brining, etc. I brine overnight with aromatics, typically onion, garlic, and some herbs. Next day, I switch the chicken from brine to buttermilk. Buttermilk should be inundated with all sorts of goodness. Whatever spices you think will taste good probably will. My secret weapon in this step is turmeric. Chicken is then left to sit and think overnight once again (in refrigerator). Now that you've already bombarded the meat with spice, the flour that you dredge it in needs only salt and pepper (but it might me fun to experiment here, as well). Take the chicken directly out of the buttermilk and dredge it directly in flour; don't let too much drip off. I use cup4cup gluten free flour, which works very well. Lastly, I fry the chicken in canola oil at 315 for 13 minutes. You'll note that this is cooler and longer than most fried chicken. It's on purpose. The temp is important, so you'll want to get yourself a candy thermometer if you don't already have one. The extended time is problematic if you're cooking for a lot of people, and thus need several batches. But no worries; if you put the cooked chicken on wire racks in the oven (set to warm) they stay good for a long enough time. The 48 hours that this takes are worth it. I've so far had 0 people not tell me that it's the best fried chicken they've ever had. My sample size is probably about 20, so not huge, but statistically significant. Probably.

b_b  ·  832 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Deadliest mass shooting in US history kills 50 in Orlando gay bar

Dear NPR, NYT et al, here is a better headline: "Deadliest mass shooting in US history kills 50 in Orlando bar".

tacocat  ·  832 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll take my Peabody now

b_b  ·  852 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: All the cool kids are doing ethereum now

DAO made the front page of the Sunday Times, so I guess it's a bit beyond cool kids and already to "stuff your dad has heard of".

b_b  ·  963 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bernie Sanders just changed the Democratic Party

Fiorina lost any claim to that label when she cried about live babies being hacked up by Planned Parenthood.

francopoli  ·  963 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is why IMO she is ineligible for any public office.

thenewgreen  ·  963 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why? I kept reading and never saw her name mentioned once in the Wikipedia article you cited.

francopoli  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·

Here is a timeline from WP

The short is that there were multiple leaks that were coming from the board of directors (allegedly). Fiorina started a spy program that went way beyond what a company typically would do, including personal data. She gets forced out and her replacements saw the 'spy' program and said "wow neat!" and ended up in front of Congress.

Here is a bit more detail

The spy techniques that investigators used included pretexting, the use of social security numbers to obtain private records, physical surveillance and the deployment of an e-mail tracer in an email from a fictitious person with a bogus news tip. HP employees were directly involved in some of the methods, according to Holton.
bfv  ·  963 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hah, I missed that. Fair enough then, just Kasich.

b_b  ·  1004 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 23, 2015

The symmetry of 1001 is far more attractive.

thenewgreen  ·  1003 days ago  ·  link  ·

Palindromic numbers!

b_b  ·  1079 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fuck your 3D printer.

Let's make a consumer grade class 4 laser. What could go wrong?

b_b  ·  1079 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Five Nobel Prize Winners Back Longevity Pill

Past studies have found boosting this enzyme through calorie-restrictive diets has helped extend the lifespans of mice, but it hasn't exactly been tested out on humans.

Nooooooooooooo! Past studies have found that calorie restriction extends life and boosts this enzyme. Let's not imply causation where we don't have evidence for it. The fact is that calorie restriction likely extends lifespan through a multi-modal process that includes reducing systemic inflammation, for example. I'd bet a large amount of money that any single enzyme is a small piece of the puzzle. Studies on transgenic mice have been interesting, but unconvincing. Really, it's still a lot easier and cheaper to walk more and eat less than to take a supplement that probably doesn't work every day for the rest of your (indeterminately long) life.

theadvancedapes  ·  1079 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nooooooooooooo!

Haha, I was hoping you would respond.

Yes, I have heard similar things about calorie restriction in various organisms. How solid is the data on calorie restriction and life span for humans? I know it is something I have started thinking about as a strategy to slow down my own ageing process.

The body is an incredibly complex system, so I would tend to strongly agree with you.

Really, it's still a lot easier and cheaper to walk more and eat less than to take a supplement that probably doesn't work every day for the rest of you (indeterminately long) life.

And in terms of supplements, what do you recommend? Do you have a specific dietary strategy for ageing? I have started doing the "paleo" diet (but I don't like that name). Basically I have switched to eating mostly fruits, vegetables, meat, and nuts/berries etc. But these are just guiding principles. I've also started to eat once a day and fast for the rest of the day. What do you think of these strategies?

b_b  ·  1079 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't personally take any supplements, and I don't know of any that sound attractive to me.

Based on my knowledge of paleo diet, I can't say that I'm a huge fan, but I'm not a huge fan of most diets. I think that we're better off when we eat things that are not made in industrial factories, and this requirement can be satisfied by many foods, paleo or otherwise (and I completely agree that the name is ridiculous; there's nothing caveman-like about a perfectly marbled ribeye, but that's neither here nor there). I don't always adhere to my own rule, but I do it to the extent that I can.

That's pretty extreme eating once per day. If I wanted to cut down on my food, I'd probably cut the size of each meal. I get shaky hands if I don't eat enough. I tried to do one of those 72 hour fasts in the fashion of katakowsj or mike, and I failed after 30 hours. I developed a headache that was intense and seemingly getting stronger with every second. (Withdrawal, maybe?!)

The data on calorie restriction in humans is unconvincing either way, but in my personal opinion I think it's because it's just too difficult to get reliable data. So far as I'm aware, no one has found an organism that doesn't respond to it in lab settings. It seems unreasonable that humans would be an exception. Not impossible, but not likely. The data that exist on mice and worms are very clear, and if a mechanism is preserved across those models (which diverged at the beginning of the Cambrian), then it's probably fairly important, so why would it have disappeared since rodents and humans diverged (don't know when off the top of my head, but very recently compared to that split)? This isn't a rock solid argument, or course, but it's a solid hunch, especially when we know that calorie restriction in humans does things like make chemo more survivable, has positive immune system effects, etc.

theadvancedapes  ·  1078 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've been taking some for metabolism and nerve health, as well as your typically multivitamins for immune system health etc., and I do generally feel better, like my body is operating a little smoother and more efficiently. But of course, it is hard for me to conclude that it is not a placebo effect or something like that.

Have you ever read Kurzweil's book on life extension? He details some of the supplements and approaches he uses to extend his life span.

I'm not a fan of diets either. I only call it the paleo diet because my supervisor is obsessed with it and he has developed his whole personal dietary system around it. I personally find some of his tips helpful, for example sticking primarily to fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts etc., but like I said, I use them more as guiding principles. To be honest, I think a lot of things related to health are more about common sense and mature decision-making when it comes to the timing and amount you eat, etc.

Ya, I agree with you. I still eat things that are not considered paleo, like for example beans, yogurt, eggs (not sure if eggs are "paleo"), but ya, there are lots of foods that are good for you. Have you heard of the National Geographic "Blue Zone" project focused on understanding the dietary and lifestyle habits of human populations who experience longest life spans? Many of the populations in these samples are eating grains and wheat in their diets. What seems most important and primary is calorie restriction, but also most notably, community... and many of us have lost that today...

Ya, well it is kind of misleading. What I should have said is that I eat one meal a day and then I just pick and snack on small things, like a banana or some nuts etc.

Haha, ya, I've never tried anything like this but I probably would suffer in a similar way...

Indeed, I understand your reasoning here. In general terms I do think that calorie restriction must have some positive effects on health and the ageing process.

b_b  ·  1118 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why is rape considered so much worse than other crimes?

Wrong!!! Women are killed all the time for being raped.

_refugee_  ·  1118 days ago  ·  link  ·

Damn so harsh so true doe

b_b  ·  1143 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I opened my coffee shop yesterday...

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome place.

I know you want anonymity, but if you can post any pics without showing the name or location, I'd love to see.

b_b  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The chart conservatives *have* to debunk

And this just in to kill any speculation that wages were finally beginning to rise...

And to add insult to injury:

Stock-index futures rallied after the report.

Stagflation anyone?

b_b  ·  1149 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's interesting that you always hear that on the one hand we're still short of the Fed's 2% target, but on the other hand that housing, healthcare, and education have out of control prices increases (and for a long time for the two former). What gives? Housing is considered in the CPI, if I'm not mistaken, no?

- FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full service meals, snacks)

- HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)

- APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)

- TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)

- MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)

- RECREATION (televisions, toys, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);

- EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);

- OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).