am_Unition's comments
Sorry, this comment is private.
am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump orders DOJ to declassify Russia investigation documents

tacotact!

Oh and I meant to tell you, when I went to the beach a couple of months ago, someone was wearing this. I almost yelled "IMPOSTER!!" at them, but I managed to keep my cool

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Walmart has a worse version of that shirt. I cringe whenever I see it

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump orders DOJ to declassify Russia investigation documents

Ah, we finally disagree on something! I'm in favor of protecting first amendment rights unilaterally, but that doesn't mean people should be free from the repercussions of the things they say. Obviously, this sets up a landscape defined by identity, i.e. anonymous vs. pseudonymous vs. direct attribution vs. the risk of doxxing, which is a sort of war we've seen play out over the last few years in several arenas. Example: a "verified" flair on Twitter carries weight, which I think is great.

Anonymous accounts say particularly hateful things, of course, and the level of anonymity in any community (with permanent usernames, i.e. not /b/ or some equivalent) is directly proportional to the size of that community. Hence, Hubski is essentially pseudonymous because of its small size, and you and I get to very effectively police against shitty people, spammers, and bots. What I think/hope will happen gradually is that users in most semi-permanent communities will tire of sifting through the garbage spewed by the hateful and anonymous minority, and favor insightful, positive content. Yes, there's an implicit assumption here that people are generally good, and yes, existing Facebook interactions of zero anonymity may prove that my optimism is ambitious. One thing that's indisputable is that we're still in the infant stages of integrating the internet into our society, or vice versa. Things are tumultuous. They should be. The internet's a much bigger deal than Gutenberg's printing press.

People may always have a platform where they can threaten to rape other people's moms or whatever. It would be stupid of me to ask the threatened to "toughen up" or disregard those threats, because I have no idea what it's like to be impacted by rape. And rape is staggeringly common, I know. Maybe if we had better mental healthcare, victims would be more impervious? What a pickle :(. The racism situation is on par or maybe even worse. I don't know how you'd measure that, and it'd be terribly depressing to study either/or as a profession. Ugh

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think we disagree so much as I sometimes tend to strive for tact which can make me unclear. But I just woke up and I'm a little foggy so I'm not going to expand

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

tacotact!

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Walmart has a worse version of that shirt. I cringe whenever I see it

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear Hubski, how have the past 2 years been for you people?

Yo, I went to Scandinavia (Norway though) a few months ago. Absolutely beautiful. Took about 100 pictures on a fjord tour, and that's like more pictures than I took over the two years before the trip. I really need to get around to writing up a trip report. I travel all the time for conferences, and I'll eventually be in Uppsala, we have some people on our project working at IRF.

But things have been good, especially lately. During most of July and some of August, I was down to like 20 hours a week of research. Now I'm back to around 60, which has been typical. I'm just glad to be done with classes so I can focus on my hyper-competitive research. Grad school's pretty brutal, but I've only got another year-ish. First thing on the to do list after I get a real salary is to buy an engagement ring for the girl I've been seeing for almost eight years. I'm not sure if I want to continue competing in research or if I'll go into a cozy industry job. It used to be that I couldn't comprehend why anyone wouldn't elect to stay in academia forever, but I've just about done a full pivot.

Anyway, cheers, welcome back!

swedishbadgergirl  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your life sounds like it's on track. I have discovered that that is a pretty great feeling. (At least if you are happy with the destination.)

Heh, yeah, the Hannity car crash cutaway still gets me giggling.

Other than what some companies have already done with pledging to stamp out fake news whenever possible, I can't think of a legislative solution. Social media especially favors echo chambers, and attempting to disrupt that with government intervention scares me more than leaving it alone.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think the problem is that the platforms are so new that no one respects them. You can luck your way into a powerful YouTube or Twitter following and if you don't respect that influence you can like go on a racist screed and be unprepared for why people are angry. If you're just one thing just publicly comment on one thing or prepare to get your ass handed to you when you're casually white nationalist or people are upset by bad rape jokes.

The internet isn't a respected platform so people treat it like a place where threatening to rape your mom is a thing you can do. Big old media companies treat it like a place to say whatever. Big new media companies treat it like a place where their users can say whatever. It shouldn't be. But I'm also not sure government regulation is the answer. I guess I think the answer will present itself in the near future.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

tacotact!

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Walmart has a worse version of that shirt. I cringe whenever I see it

Conservative media has an Achilles heel: its ad buys aren't worth squat. In the bidness we call it 'in the demo' - viewership is rated as X.X/Y.Y where X.X is "percentage of total homes tuned to your shitty show" and Y.Y is "percentage of total homes containing someone between the ages of 18 and 49 tuned to your shitty show."

Note that in TV news, nobody wants to talk about that "in the demo" number. Here's Deadline talking about how Fox News in general is holy-shit dominant and Laura Ingraham in particular is ZOMG hot shit amazing.

But you'll note that they're talking about "the news demo" for all this, which is f'n 25-54. Here's some actual numbers chosen at random: ZOMG Laura Ingraham is pulling a 0.4 in the demo. ZOMG Hannity is pulling a 0.4 in the demo. Fuckin' Hannity, Rachel Maddow, Fucker Carlson, Sam Bee, Laura Ingraham are all pulling in less than half a percentage point of all the TVs in which someone younger than 50 sits, which happens to be the same number for "My 600lb life."

Kids don't watch TV. Young adults don't watch TV. Frickn' GenX has effectively cut the cord. And trust me: as soon as it's no longer worth the money for brands to advertise on Fucker Carlson, they'll stop.

Hilarious, right? John Oliver's Catheter Cowboy, running on Fox News. What they didn't really dwell on is that the prevalence of ads on Fox News are for shit like mail-order catheters. And until someone figures out something funnier to do with those than anything you can do with Tide Pods, the advertising you can see on any shitty news show tells you (a) how very fucking little it's worth (b) how very fucking close to death its consumers are.

I really feel this is a self-limiting problem. Self-limiting fast enough? Probably not. But faster than most people think.

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I was stuck in a hotel in like April without WiFi so I watched more tv in that one day than I had in quite a while. It was awful. I watched a lot of msnbc and cnn and the commercials were exactly what you describe. Plus mail order bullshit products and lawyers

I think a lot of people, young folks in particular, have become pretty disgusted with the way political "discourse" has unraveled steadily over the last few decades, and especially how terrible people treat each other on the internet. It sounds pretty conspiratorial, but it makes me wonder whether the extreme political polarization is something that wealthy elites have actively tried to promote in an effort to turn people off of politics completely. According to wikipedia, though, we've just kinda flatlined at ~55% voter turnout over the last century. I think there's an (admittedly inconclusive) argument to be made that if more and more people are radically opposed to the other party, then a similarly sized segment of people must be getting turned off to politics altogether to maintain a stagnant voter turnout rate. I'm surprised that psychologists haven't linked people who attempt to keep up with the news (on either side) to higher rates of depression, mania, etc., but I'd probably only trust a case study of like N=10,000-ish anyway.

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hopefully that's so in the case of younger people, as it's going to take a broad cultural shift.

I don't see it as a plan, it's just a steady case of people trying to one-up each other in promising too much and blaming the other side when it doesn't work.

The White House undoubtedly has an entire list of potential actions that throw red meat to Trump's base to distract from bad press (coughKavanaugh). Similarly, foxnews.com was completely devoid of anything pertaining to Manafort's guilty plea last Friday, in part because of Florence. I wonder if there's some way to quantify how much effort goes into engineering the news cycle, and if it's steadily gone up over time. Of course, it's not a characteristic unique to Republicans.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I post these to Facebook whenever Fox is completely out of line with the actual news

Subtle trolling of the many republican Facebook friends I've acquired recently. This mysteriously happens whenever there's bad news for Trump

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Heh, yeah, the Hannity car crash cutaway still gets me giggling.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

tacotact!

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Walmart has a worse version of that shirt. I cringe whenever I see it

tacocat  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

My thoughts went down similar lines. No matter what DOJ does or doesn't do, it'll be plenty more ammunition for partisans of both sides.

I heard a story on the radio earlier today from some people involved in election infrastructure. One of them said that his worry wasn't the technological side or even the idea of foreign interference, it was Americans' complete inability to talk about anything political without falling into partisan ruts.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Just Joined the Site

I am not a democrat.

I've been creepin' around here long enough that I would've guessed as much. Do you ever get pushback from other not-Democrats when they learn about Forever Labs?

And ehh, I'm voting democrat, but somewhat reluctantly. My girlfriend and I both just registered to vote for the first time to throw another couple of votes at Beto. I think he's going to win. Can't wait to see the torrents of slime oozing out of Ted Cruz's mouth when they go head to head for the three debates they've both agreed to.

thenewgreen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

To be clear, I’m no Republican. I loathe to be associated with either anymore.

Most people rightly assume that Hubski leans left. It does. But at least there are open debates and most people are tolerant of ideas from the right. There used to be a guy named cliffelam that would show his Elephant ears around here from time to time. Those were the good ole days.

cliffelam  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Conservative not republican.

With a peppery dash of little-L libertarian.

-XC

thenewgreen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m independent with that same peppery dash. Nice to hear from you, old friend.

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Next Financial Calamity Is Coming. Here’s What to Watch.

I like this one too: We’re Measuring the Economy All Wrong

Almost a century later, it is time for a new set of statistics. It’s time for measures that do a better job of capturing the realities of modern American life.

As a technical matter, the current batch of official numbers are perfectly accurate. They also describe some real and important aspects of the American economy. The trouble is that a handful of statistics dominate the public conversation about the economy despite the fact that they provide a misleading portrait of people’s lives. Even worse, the statistics have become more misleading over time.

Yeah the wonks get even more flagrant about it:

IF the Federal Reserve adjusts interest rates by monitoring the Phillips curve

AND the Phillips curve suggests a correlation between employment and interest rates

AND the official unemployment rate no longer matches current employment trends

THEN the Fed is at sea.

katakowsj  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I found the following concerning as well.

There’s no question that hackers are trying to penetrate the American financial system. The number of successful data breaches has been rising.

Banks are rushing to fortify their defenses. The crippling of a major financial institution at the hands of hackers could sow fear and instability across the entire banking system — the same sort of chain reaction that brought financial activity to a halt 10 years ago.

Lends me to see Crypto currency as a nice hedge to a huge hacking of traditional institutions.

That was the basis for the creation of Bitcoin in the first place: Satoshi Nakamoto, whoever he, she or they may be, saw the bailouts of the markets by central banks to be a "hacking" of the financial system to the benefit of large institutional investors.

I read Bernanke's Courage to Act. The basis of the book is "stupid Americans, not knowing what's good for them, even now that Goldman Sachs is making profits hand over fist!"

am_Unition  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Just Joined the Site

Saw this post earlier, but then it disappeared from my feed. Someone used the community tag to tag this post #newtohubski, which is a tag that I had been filtering (we had a weird influx a while back). So there are two probably somewhat confusing sentences for you about Hubski mechanics.

Things move slow here. Some conversational lapses are large fractions of a day, several days, maybe even much longer. Not too much karma whoring, if you will. Which brings me to rated R(?) material. It's around, I curse like a sailor sometimes, but it's never at anyone. Except Donald Trump, I guess, which brings me to tribalism. Most of us seem to really dislike Trump, so I think most of us are voting democrat, but there's plenty else we disagree on related to the finer intricacies of governance, economics, whatever. And actually, the majority of the site takes to ignoring posts about Trump and preferentially sharing posts with one another that are OC (like novels). All kinds of working professionals, but too many physicists. Never enough artists, although we do have a wonderful amount of artistry.

Welcome!

thenewgreen  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am not a democrat.

Welcome wileyfoxes!

Check out an old tag I used to use #didyouknow or better yet #3questions or even better yet, TNGPODCAST

Enjoy your time here! See ya around

am_Unition  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am not a democrat.

thenewgreen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

To be clear, I’m no Republican. I loathe to be associated with either anymore.

cliffelam  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Conservative not republican.

With a peppery dash of little-L libertarian.

-XC

thenewgreen  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m independent with that same peppery dash. Nice to hear from you, old friend.

Dala  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would disagree with you in the 'too many physicists' bit. As a mathmatically challenged person who finds physics, astronomy, and cosmology fascinating, the makeup of user base and the types of content that gets posted keep me around. I might not always understand enough to join the conversation, but I enjoy it all the same.

BTW, welcome wileyfoxes!

am_Unition  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

Is it really him? Damn :(.

When I saw the headline, I thought that the Beast Jesus woman had somehow managed to land another restoration contract. Blew my mind.

am_Unition  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Twitter permanently bans Alex Jones and Infowars

"Let me use your company's platform to distribute hateful footage of me verbally harassing people on the reg and HEY WHY DID YOU DELETE MY ACCOUNT?"