am_Unition's comments
am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 304th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I have this weird juxtaposition of wanting to laugh at the gig but also wishing I could be there to mosh. The former does slightly dominate the latter, unless I could have pancakes before or after moshing.

Ordering the Grand Slam (NSFW):

OftenBen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Ah yes, metal that finally speaks to me.

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

am_Unition  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dubai Police start training on flying motorbikes

Do you think if they need to detain someone, they just string him up by the ankles and drag him behind the thing?

KapteinB  ·  21 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Sadly I doubt it has enough lift to be able to do that. Maybe future models.

I do see some advantages of such vehicles, like being able to pass traffic jams or land on top of buildings, with a vehicle small enough to transport in the back of a pickup truck. Like with all new technology, the first production model is going to be overpriced and underwhelming, but I wouldn't be surprised to see vehicles like this one in use by police departments in major cities around the world in a few decades.

"But where did the Bengal tiger come from?!?"

Hadn't seen that Monty Python bit, so thanks, heh.

Houston back to San Antonio. Hated Houston. Took SA for granted last time I was here.

Didn't see a guy selling buttons. Woulda bought one.

You should totally write a trip report. Aren't you in Germany right now?

galen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

San Antonio is such a great fucking city. I need to get back sometime.

Indeed I am! At the end of my exchange semester, I just went all in and transferred here. I'll be here until at least 2020 (and possibly a few years more to do my master's).

I crossed the streams a few months into the gig, and it turns out that a surface wave arises related to the lower hybrid drift instability on the magnetospheric side of the reconnection system.

You better have this bumpersticker.

This NY Times piece is really good, but unfortunately confirms our worst suspicions. I was kinda surprised to hear that Don McGahn was in favor of appointing Whitaker as AG, I've always considered him one of the most sane lawyers in Trump's orbit, and not just for leaving.

I bet Whitaker hangs on for about three Scaramuccis. For anyone still using the metric system, that's 30 days.

Which is funnier: Trump saying “I can tell you Matt Whitaker’s a great guy. I mean, I know Matt Whitaker.” a month before saying "I don't know the guy.", or him claiming that he doesn't know the man he just appointed to arguably the most powerful legislative office in the world?

Meanwhile, Turley's new piece of hot garbage argues that Whitaker's appointment also gives Roger Stone's lawyer, Miller, a better basis for questioning Mueller's legitimacy:

In other words, by appointing Whitaker, Trump has undermined the position of his own Justice Department in court in the Andrew Miller case without directly firing Mueller. If Whitaker is left in place, and Trump has said there is “no rush” to fill the post permanently, the court could conclude that Mueller is now exercising powers reserved to confirmed “principal officers.” He could be barred from exercising those powers until an attorney general is nominated and confirmed.

I mean, I'm sure Mueller has several contingency plans, but did we learn absolutely nothing from Watergate? Already, per the WSJ, we have a president that knowingly committed a felony violation of campaign finance law, and there is NO political backlash from the GOP? I totally get that it's DoJ policy to never indict a sitting president, but the statute of limitations expires five years from the infraction. So IF Trump isn't impeached, and then loses in 2020, the prosecution would need evidence from after January 20th, 2016 to convict him. I hope they have it.

I feel like more has happened in the last week than just about 99% of America has been able to piece together, and I'm losing my goddamn mind. Edit: btw, I am not implicitly claiming to have pieced together much of anything.

Don McGahn is a tool. He's just a tool with slightly more interest in formality than the rest of the swamp.

The rest of it is inconsequential.

Although Mr. Cox had been fired, his staff — duly appointed federal prosecutors — had not. The grand jury, as an arm of the judicial branch, could not be fired by the president. Indeed, Judge John Sirica of the United States District Court immediately summoned the grand juries (there were two) to his courtroom and exhorted them to continue to pursue their investigations and assured them that they could rely on the court to safeguard their rights and preserve the integrity of their proceedings.

In the face of Congress’s inability to obtain evidence that the grand jury well knew incriminated the president, we prepared the grand jury report to Judge Sirica and requested that he use his plenary authority to transmit that evidence to the House Judiciary Committee, which had already commenced a proceeding to consider Mr. Nixon’s impeachment. It was carefully written to avoid any interpretations or conclusions about what the evidence showed or what action the committee should take. The report contained a series of spare factual statements annotated with citations to relevant transcripts of tapes and grand jury testimony. Copies of those tapes and transcripts were included as attachments.

The grand jury has been empaneled since August 2017. He could die in a fire right now and things keep a rollin' along.

am_Unition  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What does Hubski know about Indigo children?

I don't believe in the paranormal. The observable universe is more than enchanting enough for me.

Still an agnostic, though. The absolute certainty of atheism doesn't suit me.

OK sorry, more on topic this time. The topic being the unfitness of Whitaker. I don't feel too bad bumping this thread again at 12 AM CST.

Exclusive: Trump loyalist Matthew Whitaker was counseling the White House on investigating Clinton:

During this period, Whitaker frequently spoke by phone with both Trump and Chief of Staff John Kelly, this same official told me. On many of those phone calls, nobody else was on the phone except for the president and Whitaker, or only Kelly and Whitaker. As one senior law enforcement official told me, “Nobody else knew what was said on those calls except what Whitaker decided to tell others, and if he did, whether he was telling the truth. Who ever heard of a president barely speaking to his attorney general but on the phone constantly with a staff-level person?”

Despite this being the case, on Friday as he was leaving on a trip to Paris, Trump told reporters, “I don’t know Matt Whitaker.” He also claimed that he never spoke to the then-DOJ chief of staff about the Mueller investigation: “I didn’t speak to Matt Whitaker about it,” he said.

Yeah, so Trump knows exactly who Whitaker is (a loyalist) and has spoken to him about the diffusing the Mueller probe.

If you believe the sources, that whole Vox article is pretty explosive. Trump would have weighed the inevitable backlash in the press against the advantage of installing a stooge, and decided that the advantages of the latter outweighed the drawbacks of the former. So that's fucking scary.

I was wrong about predicting something from Mueller by COB this week, but I'm still buckled in tight.

Hearing Andrew Napolitano rebuke Trump's acting AG as unqualified for the position was also strange.

Edit: wow, WSJ is also breaking this story

I think Trump's a little late with his soft coup attempt.

Team Mueller is Holding ‘Dozens of Sealed Indictments,’ According to Intel Source (only the last paragraph has new information):

When Mueller informs the public of more indictments is an open question. That they are coming, however, is not. And there are lots of them. The Special Counsel has been at work for almost 18 months now. An Intelligence Community official who assisted the Special Counsel’s investigation told me this week that Team Mueller is holding “dozens of sealed indictments” of people associated with the president, his 2015-16 campaign, and his administration. “Nobody who’s close to the Russians is getting out of this,” said the IC official. When will those indictments start being unsealed? Watch this space.

I thought that sounded too good to true, but it's from the New York Observer, not only a reputable(-ish?) news source that typically leans toward the right, but is owned by Jared Kushner. The author's a former NSA analyst, ex-counterintel officer, etc., but eh, the piece is labeled "opinion".

Meanwhile, nothing we didn't know though, really.

I should have clarified, 52 hours from the time of the post puts us at 7 PM EST on Friday.

Re: Rosenstein, control of the Mueller investigation was taken from Rosenstein and given to the new, temporary acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, who has criticized the scope of the probe and suggested cutting off its funding shortly before he was hired on last year at the DoJ. Just a bit fishy

Yeahhhh I put that in "Edit2" about an hour ago, but it's probably important enough for another post entirely. Whitaker should recuse himself immediately.

When I have time for reading non-journal articles (and news articles), I might check it out.

Mueller has been quietly working behind the scenes, giving the usual DoJ courtesy of not influencing an election with announcements about an ongoing investigation (looking at you, James Comey). Of course, he was probably also shielding himself from what would have been a nasty presidential tweetstorm and probably getting fired. He might still get fired, and Sessions leaving puts us one step closer. I think Mueller will probably want to act pretty fast if he's been sitting on something he feels needs to get out, and this news only hastens that.

There's a lot of rumors out there concerning Roger Stone and Trump Jr., but I have no real way to gauge how substantiated they are. But this was solid reporting indicating some action behind the curtain (I know you saw it, posting for posterity):

As for Rosenstein, good question. Supposedly Trump and Rosenstein have a good rapport, despite the wiretapping story a couple of months ago:

OftenBen  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Have you read Comey's book? If not it's worth the time.

I guess we will wait and see.

am_Unition  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·