_refugee_'s comments
_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

Ah! The soda taxes! I forgot about those.

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

The problem with this happening at all in the US:

The main issue I see here is that cheap corn and cheap soy are driving the flood of ultra processed and calorie dense, designed-to-be-delectable food into the US market.

Cheap corn and cheap soy are cheap because they're subsidized by the gov't.

For the gov't to start taxing those products, it would be counterintuitive. For the gov't to stop subsidizing those products, farmers would revolt. Or at least get poorer than they already are (except for the factory farms). The factory farms exist because people realized they could grow mass products including corn and soybeans and snatched up all the land they could to mass produce and mass process monocultures. Like corn and soy.

If you're a small farmer in the farming cycle you're caught in the farming cycle which is pushed in no small part by gov't subsidy. You're broke, forced to buy seed that's expensive and can't be saved, forced to grow certain crops because that's what guarantees at least some money, and once the money finally comes in from sales and the gov't you have to buy a new round of seed again.

It's simply not logical for the gov't, with its left hand, to offer subsidies for crops which are used to fuel terrible food, then turn and with the right hand tax the products of those crops and drive down demand/attempt to limit consumers. Gov't needs us to eat as much corn and soy as possible. Every year US produces huge huge surpluses which is how we figured out how to make so much terrible stuff like HFCS in the first place.

The gov't is effectively already subsidizing terrible food and nutrition available en masse to make gen pop obese. They can't choose to make the population healthier with health taxes when they've already chosen to make the population engorged.

My assumption is basically that they live like that and raise their children like that because a) they don't know better (about nutrition/eating properly), b) they don't care/don't have the energy to tackle the problem. Some combination of the above.

I'm sure they had a lot of other things going on in their lives too. As someone who doesn't have kids, I feel like the timesuck of having multiple children and raising them "well" in all the other vectors a person might possibly want to raise their children well in - quite reasonably reduces the amount of time and energy a parent can direct towards self-improvement. Or changing what's always worked for them. Or teaching their children an entirely different lifestyle from what the parents know and live. It'd require a re-self-education and then application and re-teaching of that new knowledge to 1, 2, however many children. And even if you can change the lifestyle, the kids already absorbed what life was like before the change for however long that was.

I just felt really bad for the younger kid. who was obese at like 10.

Sure, sometimes people seem to raise perfect kids, but for the most part I think it's impossible. You can raise your kids as best as you can and that's about it. Even just a blind spot in the 'wrong' vector -- any possibly significant vector, which is like almost all of them -- can leave a kid vulnerable or disadvantaged. Guess what! That's being human for ya.

I don't know any adults who are perfect (in my life, anyway). Why expect parents to produce children who excel in every way and are in control of and smart about all their choices, when the parents aren't like that and also no one in society really expects that of them?

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Your a/b is actually an a/b/c; don't know better/don't care/ don't have the energy might all be of a kind at first glance but it's a can't/won't/can't.

It's not a can't/can't/can't.

And that, right there, is the fundamental issue - externally, everyone here is arguing that fat people are fat because they can't or won't change (same diff) while internally, fat people are 100% all the time at "can't" or, more accurately, "have tried fucking everything and who the fuck do you think you are implying my can't is a won't".

And the answer is always some form of "someone calling you fat, fatty, what the fuck are you going to do about it."

Above, you're basically saying "these people can't or won't take care of their children." And while you might get agreement on "can't" (be it grudging, despairing or defiant), you will never ever ever convince someone they won't take care of their kids.

Especially when you're arguing that allowing them to look like their parents is child abuse.

I’ve witnessed personally obese children raised by obese parents. It’s very clear to see these children become doomed to so much (not just high weight but bullying, poor self esteem, ignorance etc etc) when raised by two people who are obese, don’t plan on losing the weight, and don’t talk about it. I found it incredibly sad. At the same time, i found it disgusting and unconscionable behavior on the side of the parents.

You have to keep in mind that you're looking at two thinking, feeling adults that have capitulated in their struggle to conform to social norms. I know it's hip to pretend that fat people enjoy sweating when they go up a flight of stairs and having to sprinkle Gold Bond in their crevices to forestall dermal yeast infections but fundamentally we're talking about people who have given up on normalcy. They have, as a consequence, adapted to other coping strategies to live their lives to their own best abilities.

They teach their children these strategies not because their behavior is "disgusting and unconscionable" but because it is the culmination of their life experience. They concluded at some point that their children would live as they do, much to their heartbreak, and so they are propagating the wisdom of the tribe.

Mt sister's kids look like a Gap ad. They're impossibly thin. My own daughter will, if she's lucky, be built like Lucy Lawless. She's five but I already know that I will raise her to be her, not my sister's kids.

Don't make me tell the story of the bamboo skewer.

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just felt really bad for the younger kid. who was obese at like 10.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

It's not a can't/can't/can't.

This comment has been deleted.

Jesus Christ. My mom is a huge (negative) influence on my body image as I grew up — she’s a former anorexic who never seems to have gotten any therapy about it — but your parents are just fucking next next level. As sadly seems usual hearing from you about them.

Yours is one of the shorter comments here, but I find it also one of the most relevatory in that I never thought of/about this before, and now that I do I wholeheartedly agree with it. Thanks for chiming in.

Hmm. There’s a lot of study and documentation that points to the development of eating disorders, including binge eating, as a response to trauma (most specifically and what I’ve read the most about, as a response to sexual trauma like rape, abuse, molestration).

I don’t think every obese person has that experience as the driving cause for their obesity, but it’s one clear and significant example where obesity is not simple, not truly caused by hunger, and not really the result of having no control — at least, not the result of having no control over a person’s appetite.

I also have observed personally children who are born into fat or obese families who are surrounded by gluttonous eating and who naturally follow the examples set before them. This happens before a child is old enough to understand calories, health, even really that “eating an excess of food leads to weight gain.” I don’t think that’s an unquenchable thirst or a lack of control; I think it’s a situation where children are truly doomed by their family before they can even start to manage their own health.

I’ve also read articles about things like emotional eating where a person eats to assuage their feelings and not their physical hunger.

I do agree that the solution to weight loss has much more to do with what a person eats than whether they eat at all; if you don’t eat you are in for a bad time and going to fail. However, it’s true that proper nutrition isn’t taught in schools and even the food pyramid put out by the US government, and other similar models or advice about what to eat from such sources, are very flawed and influenced by lobbies.

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyexpert isn't a person. Just go to their page, click all of the checkboxes in the lower left, and click Update.

Poof! The astroturfer is gone.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Look at his user page. I think you're talking to a bot

johnyexpert  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely i do agree. The thing is some people have issues in their genes derived from parents etc. But those are very few cases. The most and the biggest problem is no control over the tongue. Don't mind me but american pallet is too much indulged in cream, butter and creamy tasting products. This is according to me the biggest issue. Though milk is good and milk refined products in high measures create obesity. Green vegetables and flour is the solution with thai spices.

tacocat  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

What do you think are the pros and cons of being kicked in the throat?

johnyexpert  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can die = Con. Pros = you can die.

Marshmallow fluff and yersinia pestis

Quatrarius  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

new babymetal album name

_refugee_  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Next Financial Calamity Is Coming. Here’s What to Watch.

It actually depends on the loan. However, in most cases the answer is yes. There are some government loans where you do have to pay the interest but none accumulates (or what accumulates is forgiven) while you are in school. I believe there is another type (again, through the gov’t) where the total lifetime interest can be forgiven if certain conditions are met. This is based off recollection so I might be a little wrong on some details but I know for sure there’s a type in line with the first because I had some like that.

_refugee_  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 19, 2018

Get the Indian!!! (Sorry. Been reading John Irving for months. If you would like to play John Irving novel bingo, motorcycles and specifically Indians are definitely worth a square.)

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah... man, that is a whole lotta pretty right there, ain't it? :-)

Thanks for chiming in on the other thread haha. I enjoy meal prep and exercise and talking about both with similarly minded people. I just don’t think we have too too many of those people here in Hubski so I don’t usually trot it out here.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey no worries - my two big loves aren't on many radars here but Hubski is a very nice, calm place when Reddit gets too much so I'll always be lurking.

He’s so gr8

Ben I love ‘em

OftenBen  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

I love them too!

Now the trick is finding excuses to make them for other people because I know I'm not keeping these shits around the house.

_refugee_  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

I like to switch it up because I cook different things. My go-to food recipe website is budgetbytes because hey, cooking that is also budget conscious? How could you say no?

Here is the soup I had this past week; morrocan veg and lentil. my opinion: it was ok. i like cauliflower so i liked that add in. however, could use more spice. (I am a CHRONIC hot sauce consumer. My current belief is anything another person would look at and go "hey that'd probably be good with some cheese in it," is something that I would think "hey that'd be great with some hot sauce in it." it is an enjoyable theory.)

this is the one i've made the most, chunky vegetable and lentil

i have also made this mexican lentil stew -DONT forget the lime it really makes it!

I do find lentils don't really have a lot of flavor so here is a bonus cabbage and veg soup recipe which I also really enjoy.

As you go on the site, I encourage you to check out the Zuppa Toscana recipe; I've made that easily half a dozen times and man. That is one soup that doesn't even need hot sauce. I love it.

I plan on trying the golden coconut lentil soup recipe this weekend.

I don't mind eating the same thing every day...but I really enjoy cooking. My compromise is to take one day a week and cook a bunch of things, so I get my cooking fix, and then eat it through the week to do the right cal/macro balance (or at least try!). :)

If I didn't enjoy cooking so much, I would aim for the classic chicken and broccoli...but the truth is, my cheat day and the day I drink the most is the day I get to go grocery shopping and start cooking with a glass of wine and go for like 4 hours doing different things.

Alcohol for a long time has been my undoing, which is why I limit myself so consciously now. When I drink, I also try to minimize the calories -- but I definitely have been expanding my appreciation for beer (had a great dark ale tonight, an almost-stout, brewed with coffee and pb which just tasted like coldbrew) -- so now each beer is more precious!

You know that doctor in the article who said he had an egg for breakfast? I was like yeah me too

Seriously, I've been mealplanning. Here's what an average day looks like:

Breakfast: 2-5 days a week, skip breakfast. Most of the rest of those days a week, 1 hardboiled egg with salt around 10 am. 1 of those days a week, an egg sandwich with bacon and cheese and sriracha (480 kcal)

Lunch: 4-5 days a week, a mealprepped standard usually consisting of 12oz of a vegetable/lentil soup and 8 oz of a protein/veg mix. ranges between 490-650 kcal.

dinner: a variation on the above.

snacks: hardboiled egg or protein stick. also remembered that sugar free jello is 10 kcal a pack yay lol . or frozen vegetable packets

hit minimum 12,500 steps a day, a 12-25 minute yoga session (at home) 3ish times a week, at least one set of 10 push-ups 4x a week, and that is my general daily.

on weekends i like to max my steps bc i do step competitions on fitbit. that's how i average 20k a week when m-f i usually hit 1500

lately i keep my drinking to 3x a week, if i drink i try to take the calories out of meals. i allow myself a cheat day a week but it's usually a weekend day during which i also hit 25-34k steps.

etc etc etc

i have a beautiful mfp streak

Foveaux  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice! Thanks for writing it out. Mine is quite.. straightforward - I guess that's a perk of not being too bothered by eating the same stuff over and over.

Breakfast: Banana on toast, vegemite on toast or baked beans on toast. Depends on my mood that morning.

Morning Tea: Two protein bars and a biscuit

Lunch: Sandwich with any variation of ham/lettuce/bacon/tomato/cheese along with some nuts or crackers to snack on.

Afternoon Tea: Banana and some mandarins

Dinner: The big one, usually some kind of meat with sauce (beef or chicken), a head of brocolli, spinach, mixed veg on rice or potatoes. if I'm doing a vegetarian dish this changes quite a bit and I'm doing that more and more often, but the staple is always a big, big dinner. Protein Shake to see out the night.

I walk about 3km a day at least, just getting to and from work. Then the gym training 6x a week for about 90 minute sessions. In Rugby season those sessions get cut down, with trainings twice a week with a Saturday match, in Touch Rugby season two games a week so on day gets dedicated to that - last thing I want is maxing on deadlifts only to be rapidly accelerating an hour after.

Unfortunately I've developed a taste for craft beer. It may be my undoing.

_refugee_  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can we get #Grubski up in here? Is there a go-to veg/lentil soup recipe you use?

_refugee_  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·

this is the one i've made the most, chunky vegetable and lentil

I plan on trying the golden coconut lentil soup recipe this weekend.

ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·