Zero2122's comments

Oh yes, regardless of what I said it's definitely still cause to change passwords and make sure everything is safe. But I'm still not too rushed about it because the next step is to just refrain from storing your personal details online or linking social media accounts. The trick is to not have anything worth hacking stored online in the first place, in my opinion. Although obviously it becomes more serious when it comes to things like banking or PayPal.

Yandex is basically the alternative to Google. It doesn't insist on my phone number every few months like Google and it doesn't track me across the web to advertise to me, like Google. So it seemed like a great choice. South Africa is a lot closer to Russia than the US anyway. Despite our mentally challenged president, we're a part of BRICS and during the Cold War, our racist government was supported by Israel while the 'evil commies' were the only ones actually helping the resistance, which is now in power.

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH

Thanks for all the help. I seem to be unblocked from everything right now. Not sure how long it will last but hopefully it's an issue that my ISP has sorted out by themselves without needing to be pushed into motion like they normally do. I hope this lasts. Thanks again, dude.

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is far-right populism winning in the Netherlands?

Well I mean honestly, I would probably consider myself an anarchist. But I realise that my vision of the world is utopian so I have no choice but to choose one devil over another devil. That doesn't change that I view them as devils though. I'm not so sure that even judging by merit would help my views of these people - politicians in this instance - that have no mastery or qualifications other than marketing and being successful at navigating the minefield of political jargon. If our 'leaders' were scientists I might take a side but otherwise the 'left' and the 'right' seem mostly the same to me. One way or another it all boils down to money. I've learnt this from flirting with green style activism and I've learnt this from history. Nothing is worthy of respect or consideration unless there is economic value, not as far as politics and laws are concerned. And I cannot respect that whether you call yourself democrat, socialist, capitalist or god's chosen people.

I honestly think I'm better off not choosing a side at all. That way I don't need to shift my morals and values depending on who happens to be wearing my colours and flying my flag at this moment.

Personally I use KeePass to generate a different password for everything i sign up for, usually 60 characters in length containing everything from letters to numbers to symbols. If anyone happens to get access to one of my accounts there is zero chance of them using that to gain access to something else. Above and beyond that I have four different email accounts. A gmail account for Play Store and Google rubbish, a gmail account for Facebook and only Facebook, a yandex account for forums and junk mail and one more yandex account for personal use.

When I put it into writing like that it seems like a hell of a complicated process but honestly it's not. If you use an email client like Thunderbird, it doesn't matter whether you have one email address or fifty thousand million email addresses. And if you use a password safe like KeePass every account that you ever need to sign into is a click and master password away. I would highly recommend. Also, avoid password safes that store your stuff online, that kinda defeats the purpose.

I have a more complicated procedure than you and I'm still pretty sure I need to go through and change a bunch of passwords. Thing is, if a website running Cloudflare for authentication has your password, it doesn't matter if you have it locked up under three layers of encryption. It went in plaintext and that plaintext is the key.

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·

ThatFanficGuy  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

How did you stumble upon Yandex all the way from South Africa?

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·

user-inactivated  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

The part where it's encrypted to shit and every password problem that has hit in the past ten years has been external to 1password.

The part where when Heartbleed hit they highlighted every website you visited that was vulnerable to heartbleed so you knew if you needed to change 1, 10 or, in my case, 257 passwords.

The fact that I don't have to remember 257 passwords.

The fact that the encryption allows me to sync my passwords across four computers and a phone.

It has been proven time and again that if you want credit card or social security numbers, the way to get them is to hack a corporation's database. Get in, get thousands. Why bother with the effort of attempting to crack an individual user's encrypted password file, particularly if that individual isn't noteworthy?

I've been using 1password for nearly ten years now - Mac, Windows, Android, iOS. It is the purchase I recommend the most. Back when Lastpass got blown up, 1Password didn't. And every time I ask them a question, I get an answer within an hour. Never once have I felt that they haven't fully disclosed their position or that they aren't brutally frank about what's a security risk and what isn't.

If that makes me a crack smoker, pass the pipe.

goobster  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ok. I put on my big boy pants and bought it. Thanks for continuing to champion this tool.

user-inactivated  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

Copy that. I've been using 1Password since before Lastpass existed. It's a big bite out of your ass - and I say that having just discovered that they switched from hitting you for $80 initially and $50 every major rev to $3 a month - but it's one of those things where you go "I should have bought this years ago."

Zero2122  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH

Do you have any suggestions of a tool to use to check if I've been infected? I'm currently using Malwarebytes, which tells me that my system is clean as a whistle but maybe it's missing something. Besides that, I reinstall OSes so often on my PC that I'm not sure if it would even be my PC. Would a mobile phone be capable of wreaking this havoc?

I have been removed from the blacklist that I was on for 48 hours while they investigate (as per their protocol) and it hasn't made a difference to my browsing whatsoever, I'm still coming across more and more websites that I can only access with proxy, the latest being the NYTimes.

I guess if all else fails then I have no option but to contact my ISP but I'm moving in a month and hoping to change to another provider while I'm at it so maybe I'll just leave it for the next poor sucker :P

goobster  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

There are more than one blacklist out there, and they feed off of each other. So getting listed on one means that - over the next day or so - you will get listed on 20 of them. Getting de-listed involves generally going through the dispute process on every individual blacklist.

Anyway, it isn't your machine. It's your ISP that has been compromised. There was probably a PC that got infected in your IP range and was spamming as a part of a botnet while the owner of the PC was at work, or whatever, and so every IP in that mask was blocked at the ISP level.

Still, the power is in your ISP's hands. An individual protesting an RBL listing is mostly going to be ineffective, because they block whole subnets, not usually individual IP addresses. Check with your ISP and ask them whats up.

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·

Zero2122  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is far-right populism winning in the Netherlands?

As far as I understand it, it's on the rise all over Europe. And a lot of that is the result of the needs of the EU being honoured above the needs of citizens, the immigration crisis, dodgy trade deals being made behind closed doors, people like George Soros.

I'm just an ordinary citizen in my country whose life has only become worse while politicians get fatter and drive more expensive cars and businessmen rape us for every last cent so maybe I don't completely understand all the issues but it's starting to look more and more like the 'left' and the 'right' swapped places somewhere along the line. The 'left' is looking more and more like an aristocracy as time goes by that does whatever the fuck they want regardless of what the people want or need. Censorship is on the rise, rights are being reduced and cultures are being trampled or treated like they don't exist because white people don't have cultures and should respect everyone else before themselves.

I used to be a 'fuck borders' kind of guy. Until I grew up a little and realised that the players pushing for globalisation aren't peaceful hippies that want love and understanding, the people pushing for it are crooked puppet politicians and businessmen that want less obstacles in their way to do whatever the fuck they want. I've been as far left as it gets at times but nationalism is starting to look more attractive as the days go by. It's starting to look like the antidote to a status quo that hadn't been grounded for a very long time. Besides, the 'left' is now associated more with concern trolls, identity politics and first world cry babies thinking they know best for everyone than it ever was before.

I'm not saying that I've picked a side, just trying to give some insight on the cause of it.

veen  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

My suggestion to you then is to reevaluate the different issues not based on the people / caricatures of people who support it (be it crooked politicians or peaceful hippies or anything in between) but more on their merits, taking nuance into account. I recently had quite a constructive conversation with someone leaning much farther to the right than myself about immigration and the discussion led me to understand not only his views and arguments better but also my own.

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·

But.. But evil Russia. Don't do this to me, what am I supposed to do without an evil enemy for Team America (fuck yeah!) to stand up against? Don't you know that the rest of the world is begging for Team America to come save them from the evil Russians? I refuse to believe this. Obama is handsome and well spoken and black, an absolute angel. This must be more Russian treachery. You're a spy aren't you? Are you hacking me you dirty commie bastard?

Zero2122  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH

Thanks for the info! I've tried incognito, using a different device, resetting my router. Following that blacklist check, turns out I am on one blacklist for some reason. I've requested to be removed and asked them to let me know why I'm suddenly on the list in the first place, now I guess I wait. When I thought it was only Reddit, that was fine because Reddit isn't Reddit anymore anyway. But finding that you're blocked by a whole lot of web pages is kinda depressing. I mean, I ended up following the chain all the way to Reddit's registrar (gandi.net) and I'm blocked by all of them, registrar included. Same thing with anything to do with CDC Global.

Thanks again for the info, hope that this is sorted out easily.

goobster  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ug. The RBL is tough to get off of, because you have to prove yourself a "good actor".

You probably got RBL'd because of a virus on your computer, a computer on your connection that has been hacked/virused and is sending out spam, or a higher-level issue with your ISP.

Good luck diagnosing that one, but check with your ISP first. They may know about the issue, and be acting to fix it.

Zero2122  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·

Off topic but in the last 24 hours it seems that my IP address has been blocked by Reddit and this Vox website I've never visited before as well as every 'brand' connected to it. Wtf is going here? In going to end up needing a proxy for every second web page I come across at this rate.

veen  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome to hubski! Weird, blocked as in you can't connect to the site? Here's some things to try out (if you haven't already), maybe you can track down where the connection fails:

- clear browser cache or reinstall browser

- open in incognito mode (if it works there, it's probably one of your plugins)

- open same link on another laptop / phone

- flush DNS, assign new IP to device

- Blacklist check

Zero2122  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks again for the info, hope that this is sorted out easily.

goobster  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·

Zero2122  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

goobster  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

Zero2122  ·  572 days ago  ·  link  ·

Zero2122  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘The New Internet’ Will Be Authentic and Reliable

The users need to create an account in this new internet and sign up with their Driving License and the social media accounts.

Is this for battling trolls and cyberbullies or for more effective targeted advertising? Anything on the internet that wants my Driver's License and/or ID can honestly fuck right off. And anything that requires me to be constantly signed into social media accounts that track your activity across the web can do the same.

Remember when people were freaking out over the revelations of just how much access to your information organisations like the NSA have? And now this is supposed to be a good thing?

If this becomes some sort of standard I would like to say that it would cause a lot of dissent but judging by the amount of people that are perfectly happy providing Facebook with their personal details, phone number, home address, a list of friends and every event that you attend and who with, I doubt it sadly.

Welcome to world of zombies raised by Facebook and iPhones. Instead of teaching people that the world is a harsh place and giving them the skills to deal with it, lets create echo chambers where no one can ever grow or learn. Instead of having examples of the good and the ugly to learn from, lets censor anything that doesn't tow the line so that the poor babies will be safe from having their fragile spirits broken. Instead of keeping the internet free and neutral, lets regulate the shit out of it and put a barcode on every user.

It's pathetic. The 'left' used to be pro choice and anti censorship. Now it is being turned into a joke by the weakest generation of all time. No need for governments or corporations to exert power over us, we now censor ourselves and openly welcome regulations that turn our lives into an Orwellian/Minority Report fuck up. But as long as it stops a few trolls, I guess its okay.

Zero2122  ·  574 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

I actually only just discovered this place about an hour ago and loved everything about it straight away. What a breath of fresh air. I've been battling to find a decent online home for years now and I hope that this is it. No hand holding, no automoderators, no one to control the flow of information but yourself, for yourself. This is great.

Years ago I used to use Reddit. Then certain news stories about Snowden and the NSA started disappearing from the front page for dubious reasons and I discovered Voat in the process. Loved Voat up until Reddit decided to Righteously purge itself of 'hate' subreddits and all of those fuckers came running to Voat, ruining it in the process.

Since then I've just been using Reddit for one niche subreddit while every now and then wandering out of my safe space into the rest of Reddit, always horrified by just how much more batshit insane it has become since the last time I checked it out. Driving away the 'hateful' people has turned it into even more of an echo chamber than before (who would've thought that would happen) and it's created an environment where it's near impossible to discuss anything without being forced into being either for or against it. Well I've been vocal and critical in these moments (and I've noticed that from time to time these posts of mine simply disappear from the discussion but that's another story) and I guess it finally caught up to me because a couple of days after my last post (about pro wrestling) it seems that I have been IP banned from Reddit. Looking for information on this is what led me to find this place..

Anyway, I hope that this is the place I've been looking for all along. I'll probably be doing more following than being followed, I'm more of a commenter than a submitter but I look forward to being able to actually choose what I want to see and not see. I am from South Africa and my interests are games, modding, programming (absolute beginner), alternative music, politics and for good measure, some good old pro wrestling. Glad to have finally found this place!

ThatFanficGuy  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome to Hubski! It's a great place, indeed.

Either commenting or posting is welcome, as they both could promote thoughtful discussion. I saw people welcome you here already, and I don't know how much they've told you, so I'm going to reiterate what I think is important to know here:

Your name matters. Here, people are able to build genuine connection with each other due to the way conversations are ran. People will remember what you said, and you have time to think before posting. You seem like a reasonable person, but I'm going to say it anyway: take that time. The reason being...

People are genuine here. Often enough, it leads to serious clashes even between friends. Sometimes, people will say things that will incite anger in you. Take the time to sit back or take a walk and think about what you want to say, and whether you want to say anything at all right now. If this is something you're not used to - which, coming from Reddit, you might not yet be expecting of yourself - it will take some effort. I'm sure you'll be fine in this regard, but, again, worth saying.

If you need a place to start, there are a few tags you might want to participate in, commenting, posting or simply following.

#AskHubski and #TellHubski are self-explanatory, and your topic doesn't need to be special to apply. If you notice a bug in how Hubski works, feel free to post the description to #bugski; the search is currently broken, with the devs working tirelessly to fix it. Site-wide announcements are made with #hubski and #devski, so you might want to follow those.

I'm a Russian native, and this being a US-centric forum, people seemed to be interested in knowing what it's like to live in the mystical red land, so I post under #russiabynatives sometimes. If you're interested in the US politics and the shitstorm that's going on there, be sure to follow #sillyseason (about the silly part of it) and #seriousseason (about things not so funny). I'm sure you'll find a bunch of other tags to follow; just check the Tags tab.

You might also find it interesting to follow the Hubski IRC channel, which you can access with the link below. There are quite a few dwellers, including myself, and people who visit sometimes (usually with prior announcements).

Welcome to Hubski, and best wishes to your stay.

user-inactivated  ·  540 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
kantos  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome, welcome. TFG (ThatFanficGuy) seems to have got the ball rolling quite well. All I'd like to add is #newtohubski is a good tag to pair with any questions you have about the site itself if you're asking around in a post. Over time you may gravitate to following more tags than users, or vice versa - maybe even equally or not at all. I get the impression following people is more fulfilling as you can also fill your "chatter" feed and peek into different discussions. On a more serious note, it speaks more to ThatFanficGuy's point of building connections with other users on Hubski. That, truly, is where the fulfillment comes from.

Anywho, there's a recent newcomer who got some great feedback on the culture of Hubski. So, if you're ever interested, then there's some nice posts embedded in this discussion:

Enjoy your stay. :)

ThatFanficGuy  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

#newtohubski is the one I forgot about. Thanks for putting it out there for the newcomer.

kantos  ·  573 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not a problem.

vasira  ·  550 days ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome friend ! i hope you will that you are looking for here !