YetAnotherAccount's comments
YetAnotherAccount  ·  1526 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's the worst physical pain you've ever been in?

Other than migraines I've never had too much of an issue. Never even broken a bone.

Well, I have had a few other things. Something that wasn't strep throat but might as well have been (so the doctor said) that caused enough pain that I had to get a codeine-based cough syrup so I could swallow. And appendicitis. But nothing tops migraines.

Meriadoc  ·  1526 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah now that I'm (mostly) out of the shit, I still put those headaches above this experience.

I also had thrush as a result of mono a number of years ago, so I know your throat pain; only, I'm allergic to codeine, so I had to have these huge, nasty dissolvable tablets to suck on for two weeks. I couldn't even talk during the time, which made it especially hard to explain to people why I had been gone for two weeks and then return 45 pounds lighter.

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1541 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: what's your baggage?

Mine? Anxiety, I guess? Or rather...

I have... issues... making decisions. Or rather, I have issues classifying the importance of decisions. Choosing where to go to University for me was easier than figuring out what to do for supper.

If I know something is important, a) people don't tend to rush me on it and b) it tends to be something where there are clear differences between the options, and a clear way of judging what option is best. But when it's something that is probably not important, but needs to be decided in a timely manner... Issues ensue. Of the looking shellshocked variety.

So, with something like choosing where to go to University? I can sit down and go over all the options, compare, and eliminate options until I get to the choice that was the best for me at the time. And even if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world, as my decision was justified at the time - worse comes to worse I know what I missed last time.

But with something like "What shall we have for supper"... I get paralyzed. Too many options, and no clear value function - no clear way to judge what is better, no clear way to justify my choice. And something that probably isn't important, but there's that nagging "what if". What if there was something in the fridge that needed to be used up. What if I add something to supper that makes it awful. What if I mess up cooking something and someone gets sick. Etc.

Although, amusingly enough, I have no issues with baking. Probably because with baking you're expected to (mostly) follow a recipe, and you're expected to have everything in the house. Same reason why I don't have much of an issue with following a recipe that someone has picked out.

(I'm focusing on cooking here, but it's not just cooking. That's just the first example that comes to mind.)

I meant don't run Javascript by default (NoScript, HTTPStatusboard, any of a number of options for doing this) - AdBlock only blocks based on a blacklist, which makes it useless against a lot of things.

It's like purely virus database-based antivirus. It will protect you against old exploits, hopefully, but it won't do anything against a zeroday.

user-inactivated  ·  1546 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

Or, alternatively, just don't run the Javascript in the first place.

user-inactivated  ·  1547 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's exactly what adblock does, as explained in the article

user-inactivated  ·  1546 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your Sailor Moon picture is fantastic, I just wanted to say.

user-inactivated  ·  1546 days ago  ·  link  ·

y thx u

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1546 days ago  ·  link  ·

user-inactivated  ·  1546 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.

Or occasionally, the lurkers lurk because a poweruser on the site has blocked them which means that it is hard for them to comment on things.

crafty  ·  1550 days ago  ·  link  ·

Either take your lumps as a sign you need to lurk more, or if you have such a valuable contribution, post it yourself. I'll read it and share it too if it's worthwhile. That's just how it works. Hard to start out, but if people who value your contributions follow you, it won't matter who mutes you.

_refugee_  ·  1550 days ago  ·  link  ·

If a poweruser has blocked you, using kleinbl00 as an example simply because I don't have time to do math on someone else, that means you can't comment on (on average) about two posts a day, which at best represent less than 5% of all posts. That does not mean it is hard to comment on Hubski in general at all in any way.

Oddly enough, I have him blocked... yet here he is.

user-inactivated  ·  1550 days ago  ·  link  ·

Muting seems pretty buggy as of late.

My theory is that the more we talk about it, the more self-aware it becomes.

In other words, everyone shut the hell up about it.

camarillobrillo  ·  1550 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hear hear. I wish I could mute all this nonsense wasting the top spots of my feed. I'm all for friendly discussion but this horse is turning to glue.

humanodon  ·  1550 days ago  ·  link  ·

. . . yeah, I don't really get that at all but if that's your experience, ok.

flagamuffin  ·  1550 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm blocked by a couple of people on here -- gasp, shock, can it really be true -- and it never seems to bother me because by the very nature of selection they are the dudes I least want to talk to.

nowaypablo  ·  1549 days ago  ·  link  ·

I still really want to know how many people have me on any of the three filters. Not who, just how many. It'd be funny.

_refugee_  ·  1549 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have mutes :) Don't know how many. Come at me, brah

I'll wager none.

I've yet to see you to be a dick to anybody. And that's what seems to move people - you're a spammer or you're a dick.

nowaypablo  ·  1549 days ago  ·  link  ·

Eh, I hope so. As I said before I wouldn't take offense to it, I've got nothing to fret over if someone just wants to tailor the site so they can enjoy it how they like. 'Tis one of the things that makes Hubski unique.

Just take it easy braaah

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1551 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Being able to follow comments / re-add notifications.

That's why it didn't do anything. Thanks.

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mute feature: from team hubski

That is disappointing.

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Muting in personal life

If you're at a party and you demand that no-one speak to the person you don't like, that's not exactly reasonable.

_refugee_  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's much more accurate to say "If you're at a party standing at a table and you demand that no-one at your table speak to the person you don't like if they come to your table" than what you have here. Assuming Hubski is the party - threads are tables - otherwise we're saying each individual thread is a party in which case there are shit-tons of parties going on constantly and missing out on one shouldn't be (for the average person) a very big deal, as it's very easy to hop to all the other parties going on around you.

I guess we can get more elaborate and talk about theme parties. Like maybe a user is throwing a party that focuses on zebras and you really want to go, but you can't because you're not invited. There are lots of other parties going on but there are no other zebra parties. That is kind of sad. But there remain options. Maybe you can find a horse party or a giraffe party where you're invited.

elizabeth  ·  1551 days ago  ·  link  ·

Now I just want to throw a zebra party. Everyone's invited

havires  ·  1551 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can I bring my pet sloth?

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Muting in personal life

Not just you.

cgod  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

You two make quite a pair.

Muting is not an analog to what you're describing here.

That is, unless you start demanding that random people on the street not converse with the person you don't like.

user-inactivated  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
YetAnotherAccount  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not just you.

cgod  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

You two make quite a pair.

galen  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·

Actually, it's more like asking the person you don't like to leave a conversation that you started, which is a lot more reasonable than what you describe.

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·

_refugee_  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·

elizabeth  ·  1551 days ago  ·  link  ·

Now I just want to throw a zebra party. Everyone's invited

havires  ·  1551 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can I bring my pet sloth?

user-inactivated  ·  1552 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I had any ability to draw, I'd draw someone being led around with duct tape on their mouths, led by someone screaming, "PLEASE DON'T MIND HIM, HE CAN'T SPEAK."

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "You are muted here. Have you tried apologizing?"

Works for me.

Naming things is a hard problem, and one I personally don't even try to figure out.

Have a showdead option in the users profile.

Off -> don't display any of the tree.

On -> display the full tree, but with any comments by the muted user in a font color with less contrast

PeterC  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

If this idea is a good one, and if mk wants to use creative nomenclature:

Off -> mute - don't display any of the tree

On -> whisper - display tree, less contrast

thenewgreen  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

A heads up that mk is internet free for a while in Northern Michigan.

YetAnotherAccount  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

Works for me.

Can they remove your first comment? Can't you just edit it and add "Thanks for muting me so I can't respond"?

I don't know. If you can edit it, a) that doesn't affect any other comments / posts later (especially if they are a power user), and b) that means that mute is even less effective for its stated purpose.

when mute is being abused.

This is (strongly) subjective. What one person believes to be a perfectly valid reason to mute someone another will strongly believe is not a valid reason to mute them, and wants to respond to them.

as long as there is a easy way to find discussion forks, I don't see it as being inherently worse.

Reposting on mute does not scale

And, even besides that issue, there isn't an easy way to find discussion forks. Especially when it's a fork off of a comment as opposed to a fork off of a post. And if one was created, then you've just reimplemented "mute as ignore for comments", only clunkier, and more prone to fragmenting the community.

crafty  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think as long as it's clear when mute is being used, people can make up their own minds about the validity of it. I may want to follow a particular user who mutes people who are disruptive or try to derail discussions, while on the other hand, I want to be sure not to follow people who use mute in an aggressive way. You're right, the determination there is subjective, so whatever mute interface is implemented, it should be clear how it's being used. I'm not sure what exactly should change, though.

As for scaling, I agree with you, something should be changed. If I want to see discussion about a particular news story, I don't want to have to search through five or more different discussions because some gun rights activist muted a gun control advocate, who wanted to respond to pro-life commenter who muted a pro-choice person, in a post by an atheist who muted a very reasonable non-denominational Christian, who were all muted from the original discussion by a feminist. It's fine if they all want to have separate discussions, but as someone who likes being exposed to diverse ideologies, I would at least like to easily find and read them all.

Sometimes the person doing the muting is being childish, sometimes the person being muted is being childish, and sometimes both are. But it's all subjective.

What should be done if half the people think that the person doing the muting is obviously wrong and should apologize, and half the people think that the person being muted is obviously wrong and should apologize?

There is no good answer to that, under the current mute system.

Splitting the discussion in half doesn't scale, among worse problems. Not commenting... Well, that basically ends up with "the poweruser is king" (as they tend to be the people posting) - and if you need evidence that that has problems, look at StackOverflow.

Effectively, mute ends up making the site turn into a bunch of echo chambers that don't ever communicate with each other.

And as such, I do not believe that the censorship portion of muting should exist.

Mute should be the comment equivalent of ignore, and no more. You don't see the comments of a user you ignore, but other people do.

cgod  ·  1553 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've got a solution to that problem, get over it.

Exactly.

Just because person A muted person B doesn't automatically mean that person B did something wrong to person A.