Valet's comments
Valet  ·  1159 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Extreme phone pinching

It gains traction by having good grip.

Valet  ·  1159 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do you believe in free will?

Nope!

I agree with what you said. My mind controls my body, but the universe controls my mind.

I'm as responsible for my actions as the universe is for putting me here.

Valet  ·  1159 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do you guys have bucket lists?

The Northern Lights are beautiful. I see them when I drive home from work at night during the colder seasons.

Do you have any idea what countries you'd like to visit?

I like the way you think!

I'm totally with you on eclipses and touring Japan. That country is fascinating.

I think making a bucket list is just an efficient way to write out your interests. It can give you something to work toward and look forward to, even when you are in a good place in life.

I soo want an entertainment (i.e. listening) room. Some sort of setup built around my computer, I guess. I haven't figured that one out yet.

How have you changed with what you want for a house? Do you now want something bigger? Smaller?

WanderingEng  ·  1158 days ago  ·  link  ·

Smaller. When I was 25 I thought I wanted a three or four bedroom house with two and a half baths. It's what the new subdivisions around here are. Now ten years later I'm single with no kids and have been in a two bedroom condo for ten years. I find I go in the second bedroom every other month, and the only reason I go in the second bathroom is because there are cat litter boxes in there.

So what I think I want is a two bedroom place with an unfinished but dry basement where I could build out a modest fun room. Two bathrooms would be nice but not necessary. A two car garage would be nice, but I could get by with one. There are older but nice neighborhoods in my area closer to downtown with cafes and restaurants walking distance away. The combination of being smaller and not downtown makes them relatively affordable. The next time I move, if I stay in town, it's what I'll look for. A must-have will be some level of privacy, too. I don't want to have my wall six feet from my neighbor's.

Oh I would love to go backpacking. It would be such an adventure. What if you could backpack abroad using a second language? That would be so exciting!

jafle  ·  1158 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's incredibly fun!

While we were trekking in New Zealand it was hard not to spontaneously break out into the theme from The Lord of the Rings.

Go skydiving into an off-grid area in South America, then write a book about it.

Valet  ·  1160 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do you guys have bucket lists?

All noble goals, I see.

I definitely agree with you on the language one. Japanese is my target, but it's still a long ways away. Learning languages is more fun than I had thought, so I am excited for the payoff. For traveling? I'm not so sure. I definitely want to, of course, but I have no idea where to go. Like you said, a big goal of mine is to be able to rely on myself, so I try to keep tabs on my income and spending. I also have some more miscellaneous things like being able to solve a puzzle cube or doing yoyo tricks. :)

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1160 days ago  ·  link  ·

You might want to write about your list in the post's body. People will be curious.

Valet  ·  1161 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You ever been to a high school reunion?

This makes me wonder if I will be attending my class reunions in the years to come. I'm not particularly fond of anyone there, (given that I jumped at the chance to leave early) but it might be good to see people that I've known for 14 years.

Valet  ·  1162 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This Week in Origami, Japanese White-Eye Edition

Ugh. Origami is so interesting to look at. I envy those with such creativity.

Valet  ·  1162 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Windows 10 patches make a return on Windows 7 and 8

Why do you think they're pushing so hard for the ridiculous privacy overhaul? Seeing these things only makes me want to move over to Linux.

user-inactivated  ·  1162 days ago  ·  link  ·

Seeing these things only makes me want to move over to Linux.

Yes! Don't Slack when it comes to Linux. Join us. We have Fedoras and Mints.

deanSolecki  ·  1162 days ago  ·  link  ·

Bash shell or bash skulls!

ooli  ·  1162 days ago  ·  link  ·

May be because it works.

Worst case scenario for MS: kids raised now under W10 overseeing eyes, will grow a hatred for surveillance and dump the OS in 10 years.

Valet  ·  1162 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do it for mom

I don't think many countries actually need more children. What we need is cheaper adoption systems. This Earth has enough people.

Valet  ·  1260 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 20 years from now what will you have wish you had done?

I am actually just starting to learn Japanese. Learning a language certainly requires a lot of motivation.