Umbos's comments
Umbos  ·  1170 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Haiku: Based on your day today --

Aunt's shitty car exploded

Went to pick her up from Nan's

Now I'm doing dishes.

Umbos  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What book has impacted you the most?

My answer is Cloud Atlas. That book had a heavy impact on my worldview.

The theme of relatively simple phenomenon having such a profound effect on not only our lives, but the lives of countless future generations, is simply awe-inspiring. And the way in which the author interweaves these huge ideas of life and love within stories told by relatable characters makes the messages easy to digest.

Formerly_Me  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

I really couldn't have said it better myself. That book is beautiful.

Umbos  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Series Of Unfortunate Events teaser trailer!

Just had a look around, and it appears that you are correct. Well, I look forward to watching it then!

Umbos  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What does it mean to be human ?

To be human is to seek something beyond your own survival. Humans are defined by their high level of intelligence--this intelligence is what separates us from other animals. This intelligence means that we are aware of certain things, like death, which drive our creative enterprises.

Recognising our own mortality, we strive to achieve something that will last beyond ourselves. To transcend death. To be human is to be transhuman.

LookICanType  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

Recognizing mortality isn't singular to the human species though.

Now all I can do is hope that it comes to the Australian Netflix D:

Regolith  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do all Netflix original series come to Australia? I'd be surprised if they didn't, there're no licencing hoops to jump through with their original content.

Umbos  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

Umbos  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What It’s Like To Experience The Freedom Of Marijuana Legalization

You'd think so, but apparently he hasn't learnt his lesson.

I_work_alone  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wouldn't that be a nice topic for a different thread?! Why are, in general, politicians and their decisions so detached from the people? Is it so much about financial power that making decisions for the people becomes something of lesser importance?

I really don't get it. I know (not personally) three politicians that I can name here in Germany that make decisions that actually benefit the working folks, the ones that mainly fall under the influence of such decisions. Not rich, working eight hours a day, one child, one car, one apartment.

Umbos  ·  1172 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do you keep a journal or a notebook?

I kept a journal when I travelled around Australia with my family in 2014. It was a great way to keep track of my various experiences, plus it gave me "someone to talk to" during those periods when we were 1,000s of kilometres from anywhere and I'd had enough of my family ;)

I don't keep one since I've gotten back, however. I'm currently studying in Melbourne, and I don't really feel the need to talk to a journal now that I see my mates regularly.

Umbos  ·  1172 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What It’s Like To Experience The Freedom Of Marijuana Legalization

I live in Victoria, Australia, and it currently feels like all my freedoms are slowly being stripped away by the current federal government.

Some intrepid internet user has been keeping a list of shitty things that Abbott and his government have done to Australia, I encourage you to take a look: http://sallymcmanus.net/abbotts-wreckage/

On the topic of cannabis specifically, the fact that health concerns are still used as justification for cannabis being illegal while alcohol and cigarettes remain on the market is absurd. These two substances, especially alcohol, cause far more harm than cannabis ever could. I guess the government hasn't figured out a way to earn as much money from cannabis though ;)

I_work_alone  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

457 Facepalms already. Doesn't his head hurt?

Umbos  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·

You'd think so, but apparently he hasn't learnt his lesson.

I_work_alone  ·  1171 days ago  ·  link  ·