TroubledClef's comments
TroubledClef  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: IRC Questions

I would also be happy to help with this in any way I can.

TroubledClef  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: IRC Changes: #hubski @ irc.freenode.net

I think ##hubski would have worked, but I agree that getting #hubski is a good thing.

thundara AFAIK anyone you give founder access should be able to freely give founder access. I don't know if you need it or not, but this is a good reference that I go back to all the time when I can't remember something related to ChanServ. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've managed to find. Good referene for any admins that might not be too IRC savvy as well (mk, thenewgreen, insomniasexx, forwardslash). Hope it helps!

o11c  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·

From personal experience, setting levels with `TEMPLATE` and `ACCESS` is the way to go.

As long as there's only one or two IRC channels, that works well. If you have too many channels, you will definitely want to use a bot to centralize the settings since FreeNode still hasn't gotten their GMS system working yet ...

thundara  ·  1261 days ago  ·  link  ·

Noted, I think we'll likely keep to one channel for now, unless the admins end up wanting another specifically for code development.

thundara  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good to know, I saw "FLAGS <channel> +F <username>" and "SET <channel> FOUNDER <username>, but it was unclear whether or not the former removed founder status from the previous person...

thenewgreen  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hey thundara, thank you for doing this. We are all pretty consumed right now, but like I said in a previous post, I completely trust you to handle this. You know Hubski well. Thank you.

thundara  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·

With great power comes great responsibility

dons robe and wizard's cap

TroubledClef  ·  1263 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: IRC Questions

mk, forwardslash we may be able to get #hubski on freenode by appealing to the Freenode staff. I've been talking with thundara and it comes down to this: since Freenode is technically aimed at FOSS projects, the appeal may be helped by either

a) making the site itself open source -or- b) leveraging hubski support of arc / being built on the same codebase as hackernews

thundara  ·  1263 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm also happy to help with moving the site's code / deployment framework into the public view if you all need an extra hand with this. FOSS hubski has been something I've wanted for a long time!

TroubledClef  ·  1262 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would also be happy to help with this in any way I can.

TroubledClef  ·  1263 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: IRC Questions

I think we should definitely pursue getting #hubski from the freenode staff. It shouldn't be hard as long as an admin does it, and official IRCs are great places for communities to hang out.

Bleu  ·  1263 days ago  ·  link  ·

I agree with you, TroubledClef. It shouldn't be too hard at all for someone from hubski to obtain the #hubski channel. Freenode from what I have seen when I used it is stable and very well ran. They have policies in place from years of doing the IRC thing and are actually meant for communities like hubski.

1. Trumpet for 12 years. Started playing because I wanted to do band in middle school and when I was growing up my dad was in a jazz group with his friend who is an awesome trumpeter, so I grew up enjoying the instrument. 2. Piano for 7 years. Started playing in high school because I got bored of only playing trumpet. Definitely my favorite instrument to play. 3. Guitar for 4 years. Started playing in college because I didn't have access to a piano any more and I have what I'd almost call a need to be musical. Had to play something, and a friend was selling a guitar for 50 bucks.

TroubledClef  ·  2176 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Hubski Band: What musical instrument do you play?

No problem! I'm absolutely mesmerized every time I watch him play...absolutely stunning.

TroubledClef  ·  2180 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where are/did you going to college?

That's cool...I lived in 153 Hemenway last year. So far the only definite plans I have for co-op is that my first one starts in July and ends in December lol Beyond that I have no idea what I'll be doing or where I'll be doing it. Are you in class or on co-op?

Absolutely FANTASTIC film. It's not Tarantino's best, but it's definitely a cut above most movies. The performances were absolutely stunning, especially Samuel L. Jackson's. I was a huge fan of DiCaprio's, Foxx's, and Watlz's performances as well, but there was just something special about the way Jackson played his character.

Great plot, great direction, and great acting combine to form an amazing movie. A distinctly Tarantino movie.

For the sake of those who haven't seen it we should avoid spoilers, but which scene are you referring to? I can't remember feeling uncomfortable at all...

TroubledClef  ·  2180 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Hubski Band: What musical instrument do you play?

Unfortunately not :/ I actually live in Boston, so I'm more than a short trip away from Raleigh.

If you want to see some cool cello playing check out this video. I saw him perform live at a jazz festival in Boston last year and it was absolutely amazing.

thenewgreen  ·  2180 days ago  ·  link  ·

That was fantastic, thanks for the link. The emotion in his picking or pizzicato(?) is really fantastic. I liked the composition too. Thanks for putting him on my radar.

TroubledClef  ·  2176 days ago  ·  link  ·

I actually live on campus. I'm over on the Columbus Ave side. Are you off campus?

Run_Train  ·  2180 days ago  ·  link  ·

Any plans for COOP?

TroubledClef  ·  2180 days ago  ·  link  ·

TroubledClef  ·  2182 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Hubski Band: What musical instrument do you play?

Damn haha there are so many mediocre things on yourube with 100k hits, yet somehow te good stuff gets passed over! What's the name of your channel?

That's some really cool stuff you're playing! What tuning(s) do you use (for the lap tapping stuff) and do you have any other videos? I'd love to check em out if you do. May I also recommend you post some of your stuff to Youtube? I think there's a good chance it'd be well received. Not saying you'd get famous or anything, but you never know ;)

vince  ·  2182 days ago  ·  link  ·

I appreciate the kind words! First video is DACFCE, and the second is standard. I do have them up on youtube but they didn't do so hot, haha.

TroubledClef  ·  2182 days ago  ·  link  ·