TheGreatAbider16's comments
TheGreatAbider16  ·  200 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Books - Where Are They?

I will take a book! I still have Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" sitting on my shelf, and I finished it ages ago. Does anybody have interest in receiving it next?

TheGreatAbider16  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like

Oh gosh, thanks so much! That is very kind of you to say. I grinned at a few of your lines as well, especially this one, which resonated with me:

but instead buy a carton of juice for the boyfriend

not wanting to be doctrinaire

about anything, even orange juice.

I have indeed published poems in Maudlin House, Rat's Ass Review, Poetry Pacific, and The Scarlet Leaf Review. I haven't been submitting much lately and have hit a bit of a dry spell in my writing, but I plan to get back into the swing of things soon! I'd love to appear in lit.cat -- it's such a fun publication with mixed media, which I appreciate.

lil  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was just looking through previous #todayswritingprompt and found another lovely thing you wrote.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  375 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Today's Writing Prompt: This Is What It's Like

Oh thank you, I will! Your suggestion is welcome; I am teaching a big poetry/writing workshop unit in a couple of months and am just beginning to compile and organize texts!

Phew, I'm crawling back out of the woodwork for this killer prompt. Maybe it's because I've felt disconnected from my local writing community recently and have been doing a lot of rock climbing, but I couldn't help myself.

This is what it's like to climb into the storm:

Tilt against the rock, a crucifix

shod in rubber. Ignore the thunder—

uncertainty is why you came. Open

your mouth when you breathe.

The rhododendron and pine will be

gone tomorrow; taste them

on the rain today. At the top,

hook the metal back

to your waist. Leave the wall clean.

Leave your hands raw. Leave your feet

bare when they return to Earth. The sand

is soft in Muir Valley, and the snakes

don’t bother with cloudy weather.

This is what it's like to toss fear,

wet, across the ground where it will

run in rivulets with mud and melting

clay. Spill it from chest and gut.

Trade it for laughter. Grin with

bright teeth that know what it's like

to fight gravity.

lil  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is what it's like to toss fear,

wet, across the ground where it will

run in rivulets with mud and melting

clay.

I came back to read these lines again today and I'm amazed at how raw and fresh they are. Have you published any poems?

TheGreatAbider16  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

but instead buy a carton of juice for the boyfriend

not wanting to be doctrinaire

about anything, even orange juice.

lil  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·

lil  ·  375 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wow! Thanks for calling it a killer prompt and for writing this killer poem. Try this prompt on your high school class and read them BurnTheBarricade's poem and yours and all of them.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  375 days ago  ·  link  ·

TheGreatAbider16  ·  495 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My Life Among the Pidgeons

Man, these Ohio threads sure do bum me out! I was born and raised in Ohio, and I still live here. I'm curious about how much time you guys have spent in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus. I live in Columbus, and the culinary and craft beer scene here are incredible, especially in the last five years. Our neighborhoods are havens for art-- the Short North Gallery Hop scene boasts all kinds of gorgeous work and good food on the fancier end, but neighborhoods like Franklinton and Old North are home to some of the most vibrant artistic and literary communities you could ask for.

I've spent time in Dresden, Berlin, Amsterdam, Seattle, Portland, and NYC, and I don't feel like I miss a ton by living in Ohio. I wish we had better mass public transit, and I wish Ohio had more wilderness and mountains to explore. That being said, living in Ohio puts you within a day's drive of a dozen wonderful outdoor spaces beyond fields and Hocking Hills.

Anyway, I felt the need to say something positive about Ohio. I couldn't stand to live in its rural areas, or probably even in Dayton or Toledo, but the three C cities are vibrant and exciting places to be, despite the bad reputation they get.

mk  ·  495 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ok I am being unfair. Much of it stems from your cops pulling us Michiganders over for sport.

I have been to Columbus, and it's a nice mid-sized city. Any equivalency to the Old World is going too far, but I could make due in Columbus. I have no doubt that Ohio beer is delicious. However, it is odd that little of it makes it's way north.

You all do have a electorate that's even more frustrating than ours.

b_b  ·  494 days ago  ·  link  ·

You must have had beer from Great Lakes brewery. Probably figured it was from Traverse and not Cleveland.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  678 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Wer hier lernt Deutsch?

Ich studierte Deutsch als NebenHauptfach an der uni. Ich bin nach Dresden gereisen um Sommer Kursen zu machen, and ich habe viel gelernt. Wenn du reisen zu lernen kannst, so sollst du! Es gibt niemand, der besser lehren kann, als die Zeit, die man in Deutschland verbringt.

Ich wünsche, dass ich dir einen besser Rat geben könnte. Leider, mache ich fast nichts Deutsch zu üben. Mein Fähigkeit wird immer schlechter. Ich bin einen English lehrer, und ich habe drei Studentin, die Deutsch studieren. Sie sind sehr talentiert, und wir reden uns oft auf Deutsch. Aber sie haben noch so viel zu lernen. Ich habe noch keine Gelegenheit schwerige Unterhaltungen zu haben.

rjw  ·  677 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wie war Dresden? Ich kenne nichts über der Stadt obwohl sehe ich auf der Karte dass es in der Nähe von der Tscheschischen Grenze ist. Es gibt viele Leute (nicht nur Touristen) in der Tscheschischen Republik, der Deutsch sprechen kann. Letztes September habe ich ein kleines Dorf besichtigt und eine der Reiseführer (eine Historikerin) konnten nur Tscheschisch und ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen, aber keine Englisch. Daher war meine schwache Deutsch-Fähighkeit dort nützlich.

Warnung: die Tscheschische Republik (Czech Republic) ist nicht die Tschetschenische Republik (Chechen Republic). Slawische Wörter sind mit viele Multigraphen buchstabieren. Zum Beispiel: Chruschtschow, Borschtsch, Eschscholtz.

Danke!

TheGreatAbider16  ·  684 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Distribution of Users’ Computer Skills: Worse Than You Think

This does not surprise me much, unfortunately. What does surprise me in my day-to-day life is the incompetence of youth who have grown up with nearly unfettered access to high speed internet and a variety of devices. I teach suburban high schoolers from upper-middle class families, and my students are astoundingly tech illiterate. They do not understand, conceptually, the difference between cloud storage and local storage. They are unable to download a file and then locate it later because they have absolutely no grasp of files or folders or where/how to access/sort information on the machine. Hell, they don't even know how to navigate menus to change display settings, sort information differently, or save a Google Doc as PDF. These kids are freshmen and juniors in high school-- they are 14-16 years old, and if I let them, they would spend the entire school day staring at their phones, laptops, and iPads.

I had assumed, previously, that being raised on tech would result in a high baseline literacy with the software, but I was wrong. They use their devices all day, but it seems like they use them for such specific, shallow, narrow tasks that they don't pick up any skills beyond how to navigate Instagram and pick up the latest online Jugendsprache. I spend a depressing amount of instructional time either walking them through basic steps to upload an assignment or doing it for them.

Reef3  ·  684 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have been thinking lately that the push towards "usability" within applications has only increased abstraction and made it more difficult to know what is actually going on in the computer.

I was trying to help my mother transfer some photos from the computer to a flash drive the other day and walking her through the steps over the phone was impossible so I had her share her computer screen with me. I had never used the Windows 10 Photos application before and the way it organizes and collects all of the images on the computer makes it very confusing to just grab a file a move it. The steps to actually find the location of the file on the drive and navigate to it was too high. Then she ended up transferring some of them multiple times and it became a huge mess.

It reminds me of iTunes and how I can't stand the way all of the music on my old iPod existed as on big library blob and it wouldn't let me manipulate the individual files. Why not? How it it easier to abandon a paradigm that is shared across all operating systems and applications on the computer and forces me to do it through your slow, buggy program? Give me a file hierarchy and show me what is on the device.

cgod  ·  684 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good god yes. I can edit my registry but I find most social media software to be burdened with so many options and lingo that I loose interest before I gain proficiency in their use.

It's thing like moving files on my phone. Some phones make it really hard to just plug it into a computer and open files and move them. They try to force a intermediary to manage all your data that only makes things slower with more buttons and options that I have to parse and figure out before my data gets moved.

If I'm not afraid to muck about deep in my computers guts It should be child's play to move a few goddamn files but often I find it something other than straight forward.

nothingleftinside  ·  683 days ago  ·  link  ·

Apple has been making it harder and harder for me to find the root of my filesystem on their OS for years. No wonder people don't know how to do this.

And god forbid I want to manage the files on my god damn iPhone.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  863 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Books - Where Are They?

I finished my book, Foundation. I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as I had hoped. I have trouble getting into sci-fi for some reason, with the exception of Kurt Vonnegut, who does it a little differently anyway. I am almost certain I sent mine on. It sounds like maybe galen has it? If not, it's in my box of books, because I still lack a book case!

EDIT: Yep, just checked my old messages. Galen received it a while back. But I just remembered I got a second book too. Sorry, I guess it's been a while. The second one was American Gods, right? I read that one as well, and it's definitely sitting in my box of books.

galen  ·  863 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh yeah, I had forgotten American Gods was a part of this. That was a fun book. Read it in just a few days. Kind of a stupid premise, hit you over the head with its metaphor, but it was engaging.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  990 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Psych/Folk band I'm in did this NPR Tiny Desk Submission video

This was such a fantastically fun song, and I enjoyed the quiet, intense focus of each of you. What's your group's name?

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  990 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you!

We go by [Headdressed](facebook.com/headdressedmusic).

thenewgreen  ·  990 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting that the above didn't turn in to a link. I think it needs the www.

I'll try below with the "w's"

Headdressed

TheGreatAbider16  ·  1000 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: POST A SHORT POEM, A PHOTO AND A SONG - Here is mine, "Owls"

Brand new leather built blisters that bubbled

and burnt, glistening wet like a fresh tattoo.

It took miles of massaging before the stiff soles

learned to hold my feet like a lover.

I have sat for hours, a gargoyle polishing his pedestal

with wax and horsehair, rubbing brown salves

over cracks left by the desert winter air

and milky streaks of saltwater rich with lime.

In turn, my boots have guided me blindly over brick roads

and terracotta roofs. We’ve scaled sandstone towers

and dangled above canals washed in red light.

They carried me home quietly when it was time.

When my toes touched the rain, I emptied my pockets

before a small-mouthed man with dry-ice eyes and a beard

denser than rubber. He tore skin and stitches, transplanted

a new tar-black body onto a worn face.

The hospital floor is pale green.

My boots glow warm brown.

Swollen lips part under fluorescent light.

Some souls can’t be replaced.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  1003 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ta-Nehisi Coates on Bernie Sanders and Reparations - The Atlantic

There has been an update on this discussion in that Michael Render, who has been promoting Bernie's campaign, spoke with Coates about Bernie and reparations. My favorite bit of commentary from Render is:

The fact that blacks have to even justify the case for reparations is shameful. The fact that only 1 candidate is being called to task is Bullshit. Especially when that candidate is the only one with policy proposal that directly effects the black community if elected
TheGreatAbider16  ·  1015 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do we really need more guides to mindfulness?

I agree that the lost nuance can be recovered. I'm actually all about the secularization of mindfulness and meditation. It can remain an extremely valuable spiritual practice full of variation and nuance without being tied to anything mystical or supernatural, which is not my thing. I too notice daily benefit from my practice, and a lot of my day-to-day practice is based on the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, but I still would not really call myself a Buddhist.

OftenBen  ·  1013 days ago  ·  link  ·

I still would not really call myself a Buddhist.

Agreed.

I sit, I try to be kind, but I'm not part of a sangha, and I don't think I'm going to come back as anybodies Dachshund if I'm really good in this life.

TheGreatAbider16  ·  1018 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Terrarium attempt 2!

Great-- thanks for the heads up on the spider plant. Maybe I'll move tillandsia to a happier, more solitary place. I could put it into its own little open teardrop globe or probably something that allows for more air.

Good idea to plant a more future-minded terrarium. But I won't likely make another big one for a while-- I'm running out of good spots in my small, mostly-windowless apartment.

it from a leather webwork I built

Well that may be getting a little ambitious for me!

I had a tillandsia that lived in a shell with a magnet on it. It sat on the fridge for like 3 years. They're tough to get to bloom (never succeeded) but they also thrive under neglect.

Here's your next project: build one that's easy to take care of (maybe you already have). Live with it for a few months. Then give it to someone you like.

Thank you!