a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Saouka's comments
Saouka  ·  2037 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "Outing" : On the practice of "outing" someone

Apart from "orientation" changing to "genetic encoding," nothing in that particular line has changed (though, that change is a promising one).

I think Rick Perry's not far off the truth with 'People are inclined to be homosexual' - the idea that individuals can possess a natural inclination towards homosexuality seems persuasive with the entire "Gay Uncle" hypothesis that if you have an Uncle who's homosexual you are more likely to be homosexual yourself. There's also the hypothesis that if you have many brothers each brother is more likely to be homosexual than the last. So there's potentially some genetics in play and potentially something to do with development in birth.

One of the major differences between a disorder and an orientation is that a disorder causes medically significant distress, which homosexuality does not and alcoholism does and can. I think that can put away the entire "Homosexuality is a disorder" nonsense, but there's a more pressing issue to do with teaching homosexuality as genetic. I think the majority of the LGBT+ community is intimately aware that homosexuality is not entirely genetic. There are some individuals that always show an interest in those of the same assigned sex and always will, and some who show interest in both, and some who develop an interest in one or both over time. The LGBT+ community, as I see it, has been more comfortable with the idea pithily expressed by Mae Martin "Some are born gay, some become gay and some have gayness thrust upon them" - homosexuality also has roots in social development and this is not a negative thing.

But there's more to it than that. People have rejected homosexuality as a lifestyle choice from the mid 1800's onwards, and that's acceptable to do because you can't judge someone for who they are but you can judge them for who they choose to be or what choices they make. Surely of that, even if not their genetic makeup, they are responsible. And now there is evidence that homosexuality has genetic roots people have taken hold in this, in the "It is not their choice, so you cannot hold them responsible for being gay." So now the opponents have taken this aboard and are making stances that show we can hold people responsible for their genetic makeup, hence the entire alcoholism stance.

But they're playing the wrong game from the start, because homosexuality is not purely genetic. You can also see this happening with Transsexualism, which is why I'm so annoyed about this issue personally. To summarise, Trans people either come out pre or post puberty, and the DSM/ICD diagnose this differently, where pre-puberty is the best transgender and post is the worst transgender. Despite the best/worst, 6-23% of pre-puberty trans kids end up being Trans, most of the assigned males end up being gay instead. Society will slowly accept the best trans and in about 30-40 years accept the worst trans, because we can't 'blame' people any more for their genetics.

This shouldn't be about whether people can be held responsible or not for the 'awful' decision/inclination to be gay, the debate needs to be focused instead on the fact that there is nothing shameful about being homosexual and that this argument is going in the wrong direction. The best solution for this strategy alienates a considerable amount of gay individuals and sets up the trans* community for the same shit in about 5-10 years and the worst one fails to show it is genetic and has to backtrack considerably.

To return to the main point of your article, I think the majority of the community if not all of it is against forcible outing people. You've got two big issues here:

>There's a certain satisfaction in finding someone who voted anti-homosexual bills turned out to be homosexual >The media really loves finding gay people and outing them

I don't think this is a current LGBT+ issue, I think this is currently an issue with the media who still believe that someone being gay is reason to write a headline. LGBT members are not, as far as I know,searching out closeted members and outing them currently, Jim Kolbe is a story from 1996.

user-inactivated  ·  2037 days ago  ·  link  ·

As far as genetics: I do have a gay uncle, though I've never spoken to him. My best friend's younger brother is gay as well. There is a genetic component, that is basically confirmed at this point. I, however, don't think that's the only factor (if even the deciding one). I believe, and pretty much always have, that people have a sort of "percentage of preference" that varies from person to person. I'm not a biologist, nor intelligent enough to write about something like that, so I generally don't advise much on that.

The article wasn't really on the genetic / choice factor, but on the practice of outing someone. I disagree with you on the notion that the entire community is against it. There's a very active debate on the topic, actually. The documentary Outrage! goes into it, and there are still movements within the LGBT community to maliciously out people. I don't believe this is compounded by the media as you suggest, mostly because I very rarely see it done in any serious news medium. The only place I've seen it advocated is in journalistically compromised websites like Gawker. It is, however, entirely present in the comment sections of news websites and message boards.

I also don't find any satisfaction at all in finding out someone who voted anti-LGBT ends up being LGBT themselves. There are dozens of reasons for this to happen, none of which are as important as someone voting as their electorate would have them vote. Do I think that's "right" ? Not really, but it's understandable. I wouldn't support a politician who was still against equality, obviously, but to break the entire community trust to disgrace them is disturbing.

I'm also aware that Jim Kolbe is from the later 90's, that's sort of my point. In the paper I'm currently writing, concerning the Electoral Politics of LGBT Candidates in the US, Kolbe's case is an important one. It sets a lot of expectations for LGBT candidates to deal with. This is still a real issue, as evidenced by the parts of the LGBT community that are going around and seeking out politicians to out. Rick Perry is a case where they are seeking to out a politician.

Saouka  ·  2245 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Thor 2 is a Cinematic McDonald's Cheeseburger

Watching a dull mess like Thor 2, you naturally turn to the villains for entertainment

...I went to go see it FOR Loki. Was I the only one? I saw Avengers, didn't like any of the hero side but adored the evil side and had a lot of support in doing so. If not only because Hiddleston is damn attractive. I don't think it was because the good side was that unlikeable, the watcher/observer guy was interesting and I enjoyed watching him tear down a ship by himself.

In Thor 2 I liked Frigga; Thor & Loki's mother a lot too, so I felt quite conflicted over sides. Seeing as my interest in the film could be summed up as "Tom Hiddleston is in it and I want to see if he did win post-Avengers", I felt quite happy watching it. There were enough female characters for quite a male-dominated genre, the secondary relationship of Darcy & Intern was pleasantly reversed from the traditional boy girl power relationship, so my feminist side was fine.

What was really missed in the review was how funny the film was. It didn't take itself seriously in the slightest, it was happy to have two or three jokes in each scene and they weren't bad. There was a portal-esque reference earlier on, there's a lot of wackiness and it felt like a solid move from comic book humour to film humour. Is it a masterpiece of film? Nope. But it didn't bill itself as anything higher, and I don't think it criticised as such.

Saouka  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Understanding Snapchat: A Journey That Left Me Feeling Out of Touch

I've only ever heard manky said, but that looks right to me! English has some lovely words. We use SO many american-isms though, couch and trash and basically adopted into our language now. (Sofa and rubbish are the proper words, of course)

I always get quite annoyed that Americans don't have kettles. WHAT IF YOU WANT TEA.

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Heh, some of us do, but generally not the electric kettles. Some people microwave their water for tea (I know, I know).

It is curious that American media infiltrates so many English speaking countries, but very little English language media from outside of the US comes in.

I used to play that up with a friend of mine whenever he would complain about America, by talking about how much I enjoyed Benny Hill.

I assumed other people were unaware. I'm not sure how far the word has spread. One of my favourite English-y words is mardy, which is an adjective for grumpy or bad tempered.

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Honestly, if I hadn't worked with so many Brits while living abroad, I don't think I would know it. I have never heard mardy, though I have heard the word "manky" (is that the right spelling?). There seem to be quite a few interesting words in colloquial use in England (not to mention the rest of the UK) that I think Americans would enjoy using.

Saouka  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Saouka  ·  2248 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Understanding Snapchat: A Journey That Left Me Feeling Out of Touch

Mostly when talking about biscuits. It's when something is very easy to keep eating, but isn't actually addictive.

humanodon  ·  2248 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, I know. I was introduced to the word by the most British person I have ever met, referring to cocaine as "rather moreish".

rezzeJ  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a line form Peep show.

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

I should give that show another chance. The only episode I've seen was the last one of some season or other and I had no idea what was going on.

Saouka  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Saouka  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

*Display Picture. Close eightbitsamurai, but not quite.

I'm so British. If you'd looked longer you'd notice I talk about the NHS occasionally.

@msn.co.uk was the late adopter email. It started out @hotmail.com and then @hotmail.co.uk for MSN based email addresses afaik. AIM was a thing, but it wasn't that popular in my teenage years. I think MSN was being used around me from about 01 to maybe 09?

Snapchat is really integral just because of that impermanence. I think the world needs more outlets where you're not judged.

humanodon  ·  2248 days ago  ·  link  ·

Do you happen to use the word, "moreish"?

Saouka  ·  2248 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  2248 days ago  ·  link  ·

rezzeJ  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a line form Peep show.

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Saouka  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Saouka  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

humanodon  ·  2247 days ago  ·  link  ·

Saouka  ·  2252 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who aren't you, Hubski?

Outward experimentation isn't usually as obvious as you'd think. Reddit's /r/Asktransgender is usually quite useful for any Gender-based questions. It's mostly to do with just being the most happy you can with yourself. rmuser/Zinnia Jones, one of my absolute heroes in Gender Education, has a pretty good article about choosing a different gender presentation because it makes you happier rather than the other option making you sad.

Sorry if this is a bit too much information for what you offered. I'm _very_ pro-experimentation because I think a lot of people are too confined by their gender rather than accepting all facets of it.

Saouka  ·  2253 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are some interesting features of Fedora?

For me the golden age of computing has passed. Fedora 8 (Or Seven, I can't remember) had this beautiful background that changed to show the time of day. I used to be able to guess down the hour what time it was from that, and I haven't found a replacement.

forwardslash  ·  2250 days ago  ·  link  ·

I used to have a script that projected an image of the current cloud cover and sun cover on a map of the earth for my background (updated every hour). At one point I even set up a terminal to be embedded in the background with a matrix-like screen saver. That one ate my CPU though.

Saouka  ·  2255 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Would you like to help me with an art project?

mother c**********

I said fucked, so god knows what that word is.

AshShields  ·  2255 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm, "cocksucking" fits. Strange, though.

Well, it's not formatted properly. It was really really fun though. Can I post it here?

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness starving hysterical naked dragons self do the negro street done looking for an angry fix angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection starry dynamo in machinery at night poverty in tatters in hollow widen hi saturday smoking in supernatural darkness of cold water flat motocross the tops of cities contemplating jazz to bed the brain to heaven under the al and so my hairy teen angel staggering on tenement a roof illuminated pastor universities rating call I solution 80 arkansas and blake like tragedy among scholars of war expelled from economy to crazy in publishing obscene odeon the windows of the skull to caledon on shaven rooms in underwear burning the money waste basket and listening to the terror through the wall got busted nephew big b is returning thriller reader with a belt of marijuana in new york 28 fire in paint hotels or drink to die in paradise valley of death open the tree that or so tonight after night sweet dreams with drugs and waking nightmare alcohol in cocking endless balls incomparable blind streets of shattering cloud lightning in the mind sleeping to pull the canada in paterson illuminating all the motions world time between pui tse silly slippeez of holes backyard green tree cemetery dawns wine drunkenness over rooftops storefront boroughs of tea hi joy ride me on blinking traffic like sun and moon tree vibration of lauren winter dr brooklyn ash can rent in the kind king light of mine chainsaw to subway for the endless noise from battery to holly bronx on bended ryan to will not be the wheels of children broken down shuttering mouth wrapped in battered bleecker brain all trained brilliant in a drill like to do who sang call 19 submarine like a big fat bloated out on sat through the style be afternoon indefinite for god is listening to the crack of doom on hydrogen dukebox to talk continuously 70 hours from the park to pad to bar to bellevue way to museum to the brooklyn bridge lost battalion of put on a conversationalist jumping down the steps of iris cakes of winter silk of empire state of how to the moon yakety yak eating screaming vomiting whispering factor memories an anecdote I will kick some shops of hospitals and jails in warso intalex disgorged in total recall for 7 days and nights with brilliant I need for the synagogue cast on the pavement vanished into know where is the new jersey leaving a lamb biggest picture postcard atlantic city hall south eastern sweat and tangerine bone grinding the migraine the china the junk withdrawal in new york speak furnished room the wanted around and around midnight in the real rock railroad yard wondering where to go in when sleeping no broken hearts in the cigarettes in box card box card box contracting through snow tours london farms in grandfather night study partners post st john of the cross to the beach and boch bala because the cosmos instinctively vibrated f eat in kansas longleat through streets of idaho seeking dictionary india angels with the syrian d90 thought they were only madeline baltimore clinton supernatural ecstasy who jumped in limousin with the china man about a home run inn port of winter midnight street like small town rain who launched hungry and loans introduced in seeking jazzle sexual super holiday brilliant spaniard converse that american ternity hottest ass in south africa disappeared into the volcanoes in mexico leaving behind nothing shadow dunkaroos in dungarees in love national poetry scattered in 5 place chicago who re appeared on the west coast investigating the fbi in beijing short with big pacifist I sexy in the dark skin passing out in cork incomprehensible leaflets to burn cigarette holden arms for testing the knockout a car back in hayes capitalism distributed super.com is pants let in union square waiting on dressing of the signs of us and allah most welcome down well down walls staten island ferry or so wild broke down crying in quite amazing naked and trembling for the scenery about the skeletons to be detected in the next street with delight in please come to committing a crime about a while cooking pedestrian intoxication to haldon nys in the subway dragon of the roof waiting genitals and manuscripts 11 celtic f***** in the ass by st me motorcyclist and screen with george who blew up loan bodies human seraphim the sailors caresses of atlantic and caribbean love balls in the morning in the evening primrose gardens and the grass a public parks and cemetery scattering the semen freely to ever come to may take up to endlessly trying to giggle bum wound up with us or behind a partition in a turkish bath for the blonde naked angel came to piston with a sword lost in love voice to the three all true the fate the 1 I truly heterosexual dollar the 18 rue went out of the womb in the 18 rue does nothing but sit on your ass and snoopy intellectual golden threads crossens loom copulated ecstatic inch 88 with a bottle of beer sweetheart packet of cigarettes a candle and fell off the bed continued along the flooring down the hall and fainting on the wall with a vision of ultimate cunt, losing the last president of consciousness to sweeten the snatch is a million girls trembling in the sunset red eyed in the morning to prepare to sweeten the snatch of the sunrise flashing buttocks and a barn the naked in the lake who went out orange tree colorado in myriad stolen night colin c secret history of these poems cocksman add a nice of denver joy to the memory of a numerable lazy girls in mp lots and dina backyard movie houses rickety rose on mountain tops in case we kant wait for season for milia roadside lonely petticoats uplifting especially secret gas station solipsism st johns at home town now is to a faded out in barcelona movies wish if t in dreams I walk on a sudden manhattan and fix them selfs up out of basement hung over with hearts 2 k and horses third avenue ian dreams in stumble to unemployment office is a walk lol night with the shoes full of blood on the snow bank docs waiting for a door in the east river to open twitter room full of steam heating opium who created great suicidal dramas on the apartment cliff banks of the hudson under the water time blue flood light of the moon in the head show me crowned with laurel in oblivion 28 the lamb stew of the imagination of digested the crab at the muddy bottom of the rivers of bari who went to the romance of the streets with a push cart full of onions and bad music satin boxers breathing in the darkness under the bridge and rose up to build harpsichord in the loft who cast on the sixth floor of harlem crowned with flame on the to burkina sky surrounded by orange crate of theology scribbled all night rockingham rolling over last e n cant a sandwich in the yellow morning standard gibberish cooked rotten animals long heart feat kyle walsh centre killers dreaming of the pure vegetable kingdom who plunged into cells on tummy trucks looking for an egg to through their watches of the roof to cast a ballot for eternity outside of time an alarm clocks fell on their heads everyday for the next decade to cut their wrists 3 times successfully and successfully gave up my forced open antique stores with a torchbearer grown alden cried who was burnt alive in the innocent final tops on madison avenue it lasted 11 verse in the tank top classes of the iron regiments of fashion and the nitro glycerine shrieks of the fairies of advertising and the mustard gas of sinister intelligent editors will run down by the drinking taxi cabs in absolute reality who jumped off the brooklyn bridge this actually happened in walked away I'm known as the gotten into the ghostly days chinatown super cali ways in fire trucks not even one freebsd sang out of the windows in despair fell out of the subway window jumped in the filthy patty ack leap danny grows cried a lot for the street rank danced on broken wine glasses barefoot smashed phonograph record list algae european 19 thirty's german jazz finished with whiskey in throat grown in the bloody toilet mumsnet is the blasters colossal steam whistles barrel down highway to the past joint ginning to each others hot rod holdall for jail solitude watch you burn in jazz in carnation drive cross country 72 hours to find out if I had a vision would you have a vision what he had a vision to find out turn it e journey to denver who died in denver who came back to denver waiting in vain to watch over denver rullion loans in denver find went away to find out the time now denver is lonesome for heroes film any reason hopeless cathedrals praying for each other salvation like in brest until the solar luminated have a second to crash reminding jail waiting from possible criminals with golden heads in the channel reality in the heart who sang sweet blues to alcatraz who is thi to mexico to call today to have it all rocky mountain tender buddha ok and yes to boys of santa civic to the black locomotive or harder tonight sista woodlawn to the daisychain a grave demand it's an issue trials accusing the radio hypnotism am a left with their insanity in the hands and hung jerry he threw potato salad at ccny lectrician daley isn't and subsequently presented themselves on the granite steps of the madhouse shaven head in harlequin speech of suicide demanding instantaneously bar to me and he will give me instead concrete void insulin metrazol electricity hydrotherapy cycle therapy occupational therapy ping pong in amnesia in human this protest overturned only one symbolic ping pong table resting briefly cat annoying returning years later truly bold except for a week of blood and tears in fingers to the visible madman tomb of the wars of the mat and the east pilgrim street rockland in greystones fainted halls pickering with the echoes of the soul rocking and rolling in the midnight solitude bench dolman rounds of love dream of life a nightmare bodies turn to stone is heavy is the moon with mother finally f***** on the last fantastic book flying out of the tenant window and last or closed for a m in the last telephone slammed the wall in reply to the last furnished room empty down to the last piece of metal furniture agilo paper rose twisted I wire hanger in the closet anything that imaginary nothing but hopefully it'll be to police a nation are carl while you are not safe I am not safe for now you're really in total animal super time and therefore and 3 d I c street success with the sudden flash of the alchemy of the use of your lips catalogue for me to buy breaking plates dreamt amazing connor gaps in time in space 3 images juxtaposed track the archangel of the soul between to visual images join the elemental the sunset in an ounce dasher consciousness together jumping with sensation of pay to omni potent eternity davis to recreate the syntax to measure of poor team in prose stand before you speechless intelligent and shaking with shame jackie jackson testing out the soul to conform to the rhythm the thought is naked in endless head the madman bum in the angel beat in time unknown it putting down here what might be left to say in time come after death and rose reincarnate in the ghostly clothing jazz in the goldthorn shadow of the band blue the suffering of america naked mindful love you like you lie like a lamb sabbath fanny saxophone cry the cheapest the cities down to last radio with the absolute heart of the poem of life push it out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years what thinks of cement in aluminium bastard open s kohl's in 80 the brains of a magination moloch solitude filth ugliness ash canton unattainable dollars children screaming on the stairway to buy something are measles men weeping in the parks mall moloch nightmare of malta malta loveless mental model of malta heavy georgia of man multi incomprehensible prison malt cross pen solace jail house in congress of sorrows molecules buildings a judgement molotov are stone of walmart fish and government more could mind if your machine a remote is blood is running money markets fingers a 10 army marcus breast is a cannibal dynamo more years of smoking too much as I drop out blinds windows mallorca skyscrapers stand in the longstreet like endless yahoo vs mallorca respect aretha dream in croke in the fog mallorca smokestacks an aunt anne crown the cities molecules love is endless oil in stone mall to solder lectricity and banks multiparty the spectre of genius motu state is a cloud of sex with hydrogen molecules name is the mind martin to my sim only malton who my dream angels crazy mother c********** mod black lover man listen malta malta and my soul in tyler moore to in whom I'm a consciousness without a body more to frighten me outta my natural ecstasy michael my band in wake up in mortlake streaming up sky mall moloch robot apartments invisible suburb skeleton treasury spline capital to monarch industries spectral nations invincible madhouse is granite cox monstrous bomb so broke the bank sleeping mallorca heaven pavements trees radio stands in the city to heaven with your sister is everywhere about a vision of oman solution nations miracles ecstasy comedown american river dreams adorations illuminations religion jeans call boatload of sensitive b******* breakthroughs over the river flixton crucifixions gone with the flood hi epiphanies despairs 10 years animal screams and suicide minds new loves magination down on the rocks off time real holy laughter in the river the sort all the while die for holly girls the bait farewell jumped off the roof to solitude waiting caring flowers down the river into the street

If I get a mic working properly on my Chromebook I'll go for a dual recording of both, but probably with water to hand.

AshShields  ·  2255 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome, thank you! Yeah, performing it for me was ridiculously breathless.

I'm glad to see Google's censored words in yours, too, that's interesting.

Saouka  ·  2255 days ago  ·  link  ·

mother c**********

I said fucked, so god knows what that word is.

AshShields  ·  2255 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm, "cocksucking" fits. Strange, though.

Saouka  ·  2256 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Easy and hard features?

Just throwing other feature things in here to avoid clutter.

mk There was a talk in one of the Reddit posts about TinCan that it could be used for Bitcoin transactions in person. Was this ever a thought you'd had when developing? I know little to nothing about bitcoin, but it doesn't sound impossible.

mk  ·  2256 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't thought about it. It's interesting idea, but it adds some very big challenges, as you should only do that well or not at all. After we get things running as smoothly as possible on as many phones as possible, then I think we should allow for some use to inform our next moves.

wasoxygen  ·  2256 days ago  ·  link  ·

From the Bitcoin wiki:

Suppose Alice wants to send a bitcoin to Bob.

1) Bob sends his address to Alice.

2) Alice adds Bob’s address and the amount of bitcoins to transfer to a message: a 'transaction' message.

3) Alice signs the transaction with her private key, and announces her public key for signature verification.

4) Alice broadcasts the transaction on the Bitcoin network for all to see.

Some considerations for TinCan:

Step 1 could be done with TinCan, just like using e-mail or postcard or skywriter. Security is not important, since Bob sends his public address (e.g. something that looks like "1Krn7vC1kqmag8wbTbr1yZCJceHYVmpYse").

Steps 2-3 would normally be done using dedicated bitcoin software. Someone who has bitcoins to spend is likely to have an app or software to generate transaction messages. So there isn't a strong reason for TinCan to take on this task and try to convince users that it is reliable and trustworthy.

Step 4 requires access to the worldwide bitcoin network, and the transaction will not be verified until it is broadcast. So the selling point of TinCan -- that it works without Internet access -- would render this step impossible.

In other words, without modification TinCan could be used to share one's public address in order to receive funds later. This might be useful in the protest or concert or natural disaster scenarios for small purchases based on trust, or else to solicit later donations while passing out water bottles or gas masks.

Saouka  ·  2256 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Too much calculus!

Most commonly found by students in the form:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

sqrt(a^2 + b^2) = a + b

sqrt(c^2) = c

a + b = c

Saouka  ·  2258 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A Case against the existence of Free Will

We differ, I think, in that you believe the essence of "you" is a super-physical (if not super-natural) decision making entity

I don't think I've suggested any noumenal/supernatural/dualist self here. What I've claimed is that our decisions come from our conscious awareness of ourselves and a moral attitude to improve how we act in the future. In that sense free will is equivalent to being morally responsible, you couldn't be acting freely and not be responsible for what actions you take. So in that sense I disagree that one is a pre-requisite.

It is consciousness that makes the construction of the complex, but wholly physical, algorithms of decision-making possible.

My view is completely in line with this.

My issue with the first essay was that you seemed to be looking for a 'deeper' free will, not finding one, and then throwing out the entire concept. I don't think you can avoid morality if you look at free will just because that the primary use of free will in language. Aside from Philosophy, free will is "Were they morally responsible for that action?" - look at legal battles of manslaughter and murder, intent and diminished responsibility.

I'll go have a look at the morality one, thanks for the reply! I always enjoy it when someone posts a big topic like this, I feel like I should write something when I get some spare time and let someone else lay into it for a change.

user-inactivated  ·  2253 days ago  ·  link  ·

Now I am even less sure we have a consequencial disagreement on this issue. Thanks Saouka.

The way most people seem to be thinking of it is the other way around. It was $13 in January and it is $215 now, can I afford not to get in on this?

I'm not sure what the next crash will be, but I'm also not sure I'd want to get in on it.

sounds_sound  ·  2261 days ago  ·  link  ·

Reminds me of a funny sales slogan my brother and I used to say: "You CAN'T afford to NOT buy this!"

Saouka  ·  2262 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: There May Be A Green Light For Pot, But Not For Driving High : NPR

The issue with level of impairment is interesting; I don't think anyone would defend habitual drinkers should be able to drink more before being prosecuted for driving under the influence. I don't see how it should be any different for THC unless it's significantly more subjective.

briandmyers  ·  2261 days ago  ·  link  ·

>> I don't think anyone would defend habitual drinkers should be able to drink more before being prosecuted for driving under the influence.

I would defend exactly that (in a sense). In an ideal world, the traffic-stop test would measure impairment alone - from any cause (i.e. sleepiness or injury as well as substance use or abuse, of all kinds). Not impaired? No prob. The old physical walk-the-line tests are the closest thing I know of, to a real impairment-measuring test.

thenewgreen  ·  2261 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's too subjective with booze or pot. There is no doubt that there are people that are far better equipped to handle either, but proving that is rather difficult. My wife's friend Niki is drunk after one glass of wine. I'd be fine with b_b driving me around after a full glass of bourbon, but I don't think Niki could even stand after that.

b_b  ·  2261 days ago  ·  link  ·

Paraphrasing a real conversation.

mk: I'm pretty sure you and thenewgreen are functional alcoholics.

Me: That's an oxymoron.