Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Outset's comments
Outset  ·  1264 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Swiss vote against Basic Income 77% – 22%

Economically speaking, we're years too far behind to start introducing universal basic incomes. As an idea, it simply wouldn't work from an economic standpoint unless we were to drastically reduce the cost of living first.

Jobseeker's Allowance for example is £57.90 per week or £3,010.80 per year, and is already something that the British government have aimed to cut immensely, despite Jobseekers Allowance costing the Department of Work and Pensions £3.065 billion during the 2014/15 financial year, and that figure is based on about 750,000 welfare claimants who may or may not necessarily be claiming JSA.

Now, imagine paying the equivalent of a full time worker [being paid the current UK living wage of £8.25 (which is a voluntary wage set by the Living Wage Foundation based on the cost of living in the UK, and is not to be confused with the legally enforced National Living Wage of £7.20, which is the government's attempt to rebrand the National Minimum Wage for 25+ workers.)](http://www.livingwage.org.uk/news/new-uk-living-wage-rate-has-been-announced).

A worker being paid £8.25 per hour for 52 weeks is then earning £16,087.50 a year. Now imagine all 64.1 million (according to World Bank statistics circa 2013) being paid this wage unconditionally. It would cost the country: £1,031,208,750,000.00.

Good fucking luck financing a universal basic income.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1263 days ago  ·  link  ·

Would you consider increasing workplace automation a positive factor for basic income?

Maybe Snapzu could take a few as well?

It was picked up by a link archive website prior to the AMA's deletion, which was linked in the description. The AMA itself was deleted very quickly, likely due to pressure from Reddit employees, legal reasons, or Chairman Pao herself.

Outset  ·  1613 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Remember the Ayyyyyyylmao: Censorship, Fat-Shaming and the Reddit Revolt

Voat.co is a dodgy reddit clone. I have seen illegal content hosted on there.

Outset  ·  1618 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What do you think would be the perfect prison system?

I'm veering more towards the side of retribution for serious offences (i.e. brutal murders, brutal rapes, paedophilia). But I do support a more rehabilitation-based prison system for lesser offences.

Outset  ·  1623 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reddit Finally Deleted This Popular Fat-Shaming Forum

Meanwhile subreddits like /r/CoonTown and /r/AgainstMensRights are still allowed to go along unharmed.

Outset  ·  1623 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bringing law and order back to Reddit

It's too bad I'm not American, not a fan of handegg, not really a fan of sports in general, and not someone really capable of following the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But I wish you good luck.

Pop-rock. But I'll admit I have an appreciation for 5 Seconds of Summer

Outset  ·  1623 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Track on spotify only available for paid users

Haven't Spotify done Premium-exclusive tracks before, or at least timed exclusivity?

Outset  ·  1623 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why I left Reddit

I'm not a fan of Chairman Pao, and for very good reason.

Why did /r/FatPeopleHate deserve the chopping block when there are many other larger subreddits that not only breed hatred but also harass other users?

Also, the fact a lot of them are radical feminist subs indicates a feminist agenda with the site.

Outset  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This was Sony Music's contract with Spotify

I'd like to see Spotify, Tidal, Google and Apple form their own record labels to sign their own service-exclusive talent and offset the licensing costs imposed upon them by the big four labels.

Outset  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Do you use your powers for good or evil?

I work as a customer support representative for a large outsourcing company.

A few months ago, I would have said good, because I genuinely sympathise with the plight of customers. But months of being rudely mauled apart by customers has made me bitter towards my current job and want out. Now I'd say I use my powers for myself.

Outset  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what are your favorite free online games?

I used to like Fantasy Online and it felt like a really fleshed-out 2D top-down MMORPG. However, the game wasn't profitable and it quickly got shut down, which is an absolute shame.

Runescape is also really good, regardless of whether you choose to play the current game or play Old School Runescape (the version from back in 2007, with minor changes and content patches).

Outset  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: PSA: Welcome to Hubski, Redditors.

Hubski is like a mix between Reddit and Twitter. Instead of default subreddits, you get the option to follow tags. For example, #gaming is the gaming tag, and #reddit is the reddit tag. To link a tag in a post, simply surround a word with hashes (#).

When creating a post, you can assign it to up to two tags at a time and the community can choose to assign a third tag to the post; although those were the rules when I first signed up and this may have changed since.

Unlike Reddit though, there is no moderation on tags unlike there is with subreddits, no such thing as downvoting (so no brigading here), and the experience is far more tailored to the user.

Two rules which are shared with Reddit and Hubski are no doxxing and no sexualised content of minors, so don't expect to see jailbait here...

user-inactivated  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would say, based off my 7 hours of time here that hubski is the layout of reddit, the tags of twitter, and a strong text discussion similar to medium.

tacocat  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

And the body of a regal stallion

user-inactivated  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

The stallion who will mount the internet.

tacocat  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'd like most of the internet to go mount something far away from me at this point

Outset  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dog Dang Reddit Links! Stop breaking my happy place! (Data thread)

My thoughts on the Reddit exodus

insomniasexx  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

mk  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

From what is being counted, we are getting at least 50x our usual traffic.

thoroughbredofsin  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

You guys seem cool and I'm genuinely interested in this website. Would it be better if I took the time to learn about it in a couple days once all this nonsense blows over?

mk  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·

You might need to be a bit patient with the site until then, but feel free to poke around. A few more drops in the bucket won't hurt.

Hubski is different than Reddit, so YMMV. For better or worse, our goal isn't to be a complete replacement. That said, we think we do some things that Reddit does not.

Welcome aboard.

thoroughbredofsin  ·  1624 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.