Odder's comments
Odder  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Rod Rosenstein, who oversaw Mueller probe, leaving Justice Department

WASHINGTON — Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who had been overseeing the special counsel investigation, plans to step down after Robert Mueller finishes his work, according to administration officials familiar with his thinking.

Misleading headline af. So, some people who maybe claim to know Rod Rosenstein think he's fed up with this shit and ready to retire, but he can't leave yet due to the exact issue that this headline is misleading you into thinking this article is about.

Odder  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Elizabeth Warren Announces She Is Running for President in 2020

If Hillary was running, she'd probably try to pressure every other mainstream democrat in Congress not to run, like she did last time. If she's lost enough political capital that she can no longer influence the democrats, then she probably knows it's not worth running. So either Warren is confident that Hillary can't run again, or she knows it for a fact.

This does assume that all players are rational here, so I might be proven wrong in the next week or so.

OftenBen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

If there is really as much chaos as everyone is saying I don't think this idea holds water.

My money is on it being a battle between whomever Bernie endorses and whomever Mike Bloomberg would vote for, and Warren will drop out after she gets like 2% in New Hampshire. I just don't see her being a spoiler because I don't think there's a "middle" to the democratic party anymore that she can appeal to, the party at this point is really just a weak alliance between centrists and the Left.

Nepotist  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think her appeal will be pretty wide. I was a Sanders guy in 2016 and even with this Native American BS she'd still be a top pick for me, especially since I've moved away from Sanders on a lot of issues.

Warren's candidacy doesn't really excite me, but the real silver lining here is that this heavily implies that Hillary isn't planning to run.

bfv  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

I worry that she'll be a spoiler for anyone running to her left in the primary and more or less guarantee Biden is the nominee. I wouldn't hate her being president, I don't think the next Democratic administration will be able to accomplish anything Warren wouldn't be on board for regardless, but since she hasn't done much since Occupy was a thing other than make herself the brunt of Pocahontas jokes there are other just-barely-actually-on-the-left Democrats with better chances of winning.

My theory? She's running for VP.

The next Democratic candidate is going to be a white male. The DNC is going to go centrist AF with the excuse that Ocasio-Cortez and the like are crazy Tea Party leftists and "CENTRISM" is what America really wants. Which means the inevitably milquetoast whitebread establishment white male is going to want someone to excite the rabble-rousing millennials. Which means a woman, preferably a minority, preferably a firebrand.

Warren is running for VP against Ocasio-Cortez and Kamala Harris. She's trying to earn plenty early on so she can force concessions from whoever ends up with the nomination.

cgod  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

If the Dem's want to win they put forth the most boring White male candidate they can find.

The Democratic heir apparent usually loses their presidential bid, Hillary, Gore, and Kerry.

A dark horse governor often does really well for the Dem's, see Clinton or Carter. Obama was a dark horse candidate, not a governor but he won and wasn't the parties torch bearer.

A bland white guy who is centrist, business friendly while being decent on generally leftist social issues will be harder for Trump to bait, lambaste and lampoon. A friendly guy who can give a sardonic smile and chuckle at Trumps bullshit while talking about non or less partisan issues that we should have been working on the past four years would starve the Trump campaign for that which feeds his base. Trump would be left with nothing but vilifying Nancy and Chuck.

Warren has already shown her self all too eager to give Trump ammo in response to his side show, she would have done better to starve him with noble silence or aloof contempt.

If John Hickenlooper could get some traction I think he'd kick Trumps ass. I could be wrong but he's got all the bonifides of a centrist governor who's boring as can be while seeming like a well balanced and pleasant dude.

goobster  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Jay Inslee - governor of Washington State - is being touted as a potential Democratic candidate for the Presidency.

Him as a successful Governor of a progressive state with a strong Republican minority... Warren as the die-hard representative of the DC Democratic machine... could be an interesting duo.

francopoli  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I posted a list of people that I'd like to see run for president back in, hell feels like a million years ago. The person that wins the nomination will sit quietly in the background, building cash and good will, then pull a Bill Clinton and jump in in late 2019 just in time for everyone to be talking about them in Iowa in Feb 2020.

Warren will never be president. Then again, I said that about Trump. So, who knows?

bfv  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

It seems to me that getting people who don't generally vote to come out is a better strategy for the Democrats than triangulation now. There aren't that many fencesitters anymore.

I have not observed the Democrats go for "better strategy" in many moons.

Odder  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nepotist  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why does this preclude a Hillary run?

Odder  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

OftenBen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Odder  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Capitalism

So, uh, I was the one who added #aboringdystopia but really i wish the tag was #abanaldystopia or something cause that captures the mood a whole lot better but reddit outvoted me so this is what we're stuck with.

What I'm saying is... I hope me and the other tag can still be friends, i guess? Cause I don't think we disagree.

am_Unition  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your obsession with abs, anal, and dystopian societies is tearing this community apart.

But mk, #bugski cuz I’ve never been able to change a community tag. I get served the monktightrope.jpg 503 and then cannot edit anymore. It’s like Hubski thinks I’ve made a successful edit, but it wasn’t actually accepted. Not a huge deal, obvz.

Also, I took 3 Lyfts last night, and I’m sorry :/. 75%+ tips though

Odder  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In Defense of Finance

Damn this shit is Stargate SG1 meets Coast to Coast AM

Dude and you went with the Dr. Bronner version

now in legible 13.8mb crazypants supersize

Odder  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Washington Post: A Hot Dog is a Taco. A Steak is a Salad. A Pop Tart is a Calzone.

This author must have a hard time going through life being so wrong all the time.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

Exactly. A hot dog is a sandwich.

ArtemusBlank  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

A hot dog is a delicious sandwich. Also I have never heard anyone refer to it as a taco before.

Odder  ·  42 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People who have moved out of parents, how old were you when you left?

18. Went to college and never moved back, even when I graduated college and didn't have a full-time job for two years. My parents are lovely people who I don't resent and don't dread living with, but I still couchsurfed for a few months a couple hundred miles from home rather than move back home because losing that degree of independence was never worth it to me.

Odder  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 28, 2018

how? I didn't think that was a high-drama subreddit

tacocat  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·

The mods deleted a post of my work because they didn't like the title. It was number one in the sub and then gone. I didn’t take it well

Odder  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google employees: We no longer believe the company places values over profits

Google corporate: We've realized that the profit we get from superficially pretending to have values is no longer greater than the value we get otherwise.

When exactly did Google do good for the world? All they did was set their public motto to "Don't be evil" and apparently everyone just took them at their word? But at the core they're just an ad company disguised as a search engine which isn't exactly a winning combination for ethics.

Odder  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's been a fun 2,163 Days

Holy cow we all read that same r/bestof post from syncretic, didn't we? I'm assuming that's how you found this place, since you, me, rezzeJ, and _refugee_ all made our accounts on the same day.

Assuming you aren't going to go do something cool that requires having no online presence, like being a spy or something, maybe come back sometime?

ButterflyEffect  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wow, that was the thread!!! It's a strong possibility! This week I've deleted all online dating, am taking a break here, and am thinking about getting rid of Amazon and many other online accounts. It's winter cleaning, I guess.

leer10  ·  45 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dang. I joined only a few days apart so it must've been from that. Hubski wasn't the perfect fit for me so I've been an ultra-lurker here, and instead went back to reddit. It was weird seeing OP's farewell post cause I recognized that name. I've been trying out Tildes but it also seems to still not stick as much as I'd like.

Either way, it's weird seeing something like this sparked by something 6 years ago.

_refugee_  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

Pretty sure mang, but clearly, I read it first internet snobs at you all

I’m a day ahead of the rest of you it seems

Me too. But I'd rather have had Hillary Clinton as president, even though I think less of her as a person.

Though maybe if the democrats actually pivot left and the Republicans think it's worth it to try to go for the middle he'll have a chance some day. I'd love the opportunity to choose not to vote for John Kasich in a general election :).

He's a democrat's favorite republican. Unfortunately...

francopoli  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·

Which is why I hoped he won.

Odder  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·

Odder  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Science Is Getting Less Bang For Its Buck

We're also not fundamentally overturning most of our previous assumptions, which isn't necessarily a thing that happens faster the more money you spend on it. The discovery of quantum mechanics led to the discoveries that e.g. lasers and semiconductors were possible, the discovery of DNA led to a lot of advances in genetics, etc. There hasn't been much like that recently, at least in Physics - we found the Higgs boson and gravitational waves, both of which we expected to find, and we didn't find anything unexpected on top of that.

There's plenty of opportunity to look critically at how, where, and why we spend money on science funding, but measuring our success based on Nobel prizes isn't it. Science doesn't progress in a linear fashion, and "scientific progress" isn't something that can be accurately measured in terms of papers published or Nobel prizes awarded. Most money spent on science research wasn't ever spent on Nobel prize-winning research, and most of the science done in the past several decades didn't have the goal of winning a Nobel prize.

The question "Why should we spend money on research in science" doesn't have a clear-cut answer, and you'll get different answers based on who you ask and who you are. I've worked with some researchers who admit, at least to their students, that the "potential applications" of their research that they put on grant applications are just things they make up so that their research will be funded. A lot of those researchers think it's insulting to ask about how science should be applied, and that science should be done for it's own sake. I suspect a lot of the people who actively fund science research feel a bit differently than that.