NikolaiFyodorov's comments
NikolaiFyodorov  ·  234 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your favourite TV show that is more than 20 years old?

Edge of Darkness - that is the original British tv series, not the US film - is a true masterpiece, that easily holds its own against any of the great shows of today.

Phoenix was another masterpiece, but even harder to get hold of today than Edge of Darkness.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  238 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 21, 2018

You know Morgan's next book, Thin Air, is set in the same timeline as Thirt33n?

I did not! I will have to add that one to my wishlist!

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1223 days ago  ·  link  ·

...I have no idea what were those assholes about, and I feel sorry for the drunkard.

It's a good telling, though it feels like it has been focusing too narrowly, just on one character.

The problem may be a lot more complex than it looks. @tigrennaten@ has posted a link on a very similar topic here.

That was a great read.

> I think it’s a combination of subconscious emotional cues, subconscious statistical trickery, perfectly conscious fraud which for all we know happens much more often than detected, and things we haven’t discovered yet which are at least as weird as subconscious emotional cues.

So it's a bit of everything, then.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1350 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Skunk Works claims to be developing a truck-sized fusion reactor

Well it's going to be cracked eventually. I'd be more confident putting my money on a cashed up American company to crack it than I would on a European agency.

Don't get me started on the F-35. Our alleged government recently committed another $12.5 billion to that corpse of a project while simultaneously pushing massive cuts to public health under the auspices of a "budget emergency".

I was going to add a link to Gary Brecher's excellent take-down, then I remembered who I was talking to.

Ha. But see how the mere mention of Skunk Works had you pining for a fusion reactor, despite the fact that the one time SW built anything other than a plane it was resoundingly rejected and despite the fact that fusion has been 10 years from breakeven since 1969?

Ahhh, the power of myth.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1350 days ago  ·  link  ·

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1377 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Was Abolitionism a Failure?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The suffragettes also come to mind; many of them were imprisoned and reviled for their activism a century ago, but few would question (for example) Pankhurst's importance in shaping the rights of women in the 20th Century.

Also, b_b, I do apologise for being slow to reply to your recent comments. I've started a new job this year and of late my presence on hubski has been haphazard.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1381 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What happens to your posts when you leave hubsky?

Don't leave!

organicAnt  ·  1380 days ago  ·  link  ·

I probably wont but want to know what happens to the data if I decide to. In the event of leaving I'd like the account to be gone but the data to stay, if nothing else, for the historic record.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1382 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: NASA secures extra funding, confirms Europa mission

In the (unlikely?) event that complex intelligent life is discovered under Europa's surface, I find myself musing over how utterly incomprehensible it would be for them to encounter humans.

Our sky is open to the heavens and in spite of this it's really only in the past half millenia (ignoring Aristarchus) that we've had solid observational evidence to demonstrate that the heavenly bodies are physical worlds like our own.

Consider, then, the position of the intelligent squid-beings of Europa. Their intellect is every bit as refined and analytic as ours. Their fourteen appendages give them a dexterity that far surpasses anything that can be achieved by our opposing thumb. However, they are bounded entirely by kilometres of ice. They have no reason even to conceive of the possibility that there might be another side to the limits of their world. For humans to enter their domain would be akin to creatures stepping out of thin air, bringing tales of a universe infinitely larger than their own, surrounding them on all sides. Makes you wonder if we are similarly bounded, and if so, by what.

tl;dr Europa is Flatland.

flagamuffin  ·  1381 days ago  ·  link  ·

Anathem seems like the kind of book you would like and it's essentially the only scifi I've ever found that dealt with the sheer unlikeliness of us meeting aliens in a cogent way.

Maybe Rendezvous with Rama too, but not as much.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1382 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How did you find yourself?

I was with you up until your last sentence.

My partner identifies as vegan and has done for more than a decade. By way of background, she has a PhD in animal ethics and has worked as an ethicist for research institutions. She and her vegan friends have no problem eating bivalves: mussels, oysters, abalone. There seems to be widespread agreement among vegans that they're about as sentient as a flower. I'm very happy to agree.

*Edit: Updated the link because the DFW article is such a good read I decided it deserved its own Hubski entry.

b_b  ·  1382 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes I threw that in to be intentionally provocative. The lobster obviously has a nervous system. It lacks, however, anything like the pain processing and memory mechanisms that mammals and birds possess. I shall respond more fully after reading your link.

Still early days, but this is most excellent news. I'm keen to see details on what sort of craft NASA plans for Europa. That choice will have big ramifications on the mission duration (and capacity), after all.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1384 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Was Abolitionism a Failure?

> We can only wonder which of today’s unpopular causes will, in 150 years, be considered the abolitionism of 2015.

I'm going to piss a lot of people off and suggest veganism might be a better candidate.

b_b  ·  1379 days ago  ·  link  ·

The so called animal rights crowd certainly have a way of being annoying, even if their cause is sometimes justified. I've been to my share of conferences where they have a holding pen for the picketers who liken what we do to mass murder, torture, etc. One wonders if the same irksome feeling was felt by those who weren't completely comfortable with slavery, but who took it as something that was done for the betterment of society on the whole.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1377 days ago  ·  link  ·

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1408 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Understanding the Saudis' Oil moves

Never heard of Bushmill's. I'll assume it's good value. Lately I've been getting into Tasmanian whiskeys. Check out Lark Distillery for an excellent single malt.

Anyway, apologies for derailing the original thread. This article has just appeared on The Conversation, which appears relevant to our original discussion.

"My grandfather rode a camel. My father rode a camel. I drive a Mercedes. My son drives a Land Rover. His son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel."

- Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, founder of Dubai

user-inactivated  ·  1407 days ago  ·  link  ·

After seeing Syriana 2 or 3 months ago I was surprised I hadn't heard much about it, solid watch.

user-inactivated  ·  1407 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wait, Syriana is a movie? Syriana has been lying to me all this time about where his name came from.

It's a flawed film. The problem with it is narratively, all the stories gain impact and the narrative gains strength from eliminating George Clooney's character. Unfortunately, the basis for Syriana were the Robert Baer books "See No Evil" and "Sleeping With The Devil" in which CIA Agent Bob Baer describes his career as a case officer in the South Asia station of the CIA as well as his dealings with Saudi Arabia. In Syriana, Bob Baer is played by George Clooney.

Stephen Gaghan was much more interested in portraying the lives around the CIA's involvement in Saudi oil while Bob Baer was more interested in telling you why the CIA fucked up the Middle East. No easy compromise there.

Still, the script was nominated for an oscar and George Clooney won for the role I have just described as supernumerary to the plot, so there you go.

> they drove Laphroag up to $80 a bottle for a while

How much is Laphroaig in the States, then? It's been $80 a bottle where I live for a decade or more.

thenewgreen  ·  1408 days ago  ·  link  ·

$65-$80 is about right. Unfortunately, all that's available these days is 10 year. It used to be that you could find 15. -An amazing scotch and my first real scotch experience thanks to the generous cW.

Edit: can I blame the Saudi's for the absence of 15?

Your world sucks.

Not sure how they work this out economically, but the Kroger over here (Ralph's) makes you a deal: you buy six bottles of whateverthefuck, they'll give you 30% off all of 'em. So you can do obnoxious shit like buy five bottles of Beringer white zin for $3.99 a bottle and a bottle of Hennessy Millenium for $299 and save $105. They also do weird f'n blowouts sometimes. Not sure how I pulled it off, but I bought a liter of Bushmill's on St. Patty's Day for $15, marked down from $35.

Kaius  ·  1408 days ago  ·  link  ·

St. Patty's Day

You mean St. Paddy's Day?

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1408 days ago  ·  link  ·