NikolaiFyodorov's comments
NikolaiFyodorov  ·  53 minutes ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 20, 2019

A project, which I knew from the outset would become a Gordian knot if I touched it, has dominated my working hours for so long that I have passed through the other side of disgust.

On the other hand, once it's done and dusted I'll probably be pretty idle.

Looking forward to our holiday in the States in a few weeks. Thanks again tacocat for the Chicago recommendations.

Lastly, am I alone in getting the distinct impression that an economic downturn in on its way?

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Can Be Learned (from "Who's Left" Check-In Post)?

Huh. It appears I asked this same question four years ago. I really need to lift my content game.

Saydrah  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

I appreciate the consistency, tbh. Not too many people speak this ol' name on the interwebs anymore. I keep thinking about doing another Reddit AMA for the 10 year anniversary of Saydrahgate, but I don't know if there are enough people on Reddit still who remember it.

Anyway, like KB said, still in LA. I quit the tech scene after one acquisition too many. I'm a writer now, won a medium-sized TV writing contest recently, did a little bit of work for some major companies, still trying to get a foot all the way in the door.

I am surprised by, but appreciative of, your consistent interest in my whereabouts. If you're ever in LA, KB knows how to reach me so we can wave hello.

LOL

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Can Be Learned (from "Who's Left" Check-In Post)?

Whatever happened to bb? And Saydrah?

Edit: So I got the first username wrong. The perils of memory.

Saydrah is busy with horses. She's in LA. I owe her an email.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

Saydrah  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

LOL

lil  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

me too. I meant to tag b_b. He's a founder. I'm sure he's still around. Maybe still in Michigan.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Is Left on Hubski?

Name: NikolaiFyodorov

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Age: Probably older than lil. We arrived here at hubski around the same time

Current Preoccupation: Speechwriter, policy wonk, amateur space enthusiast

Previous Preoccupations: Perennial student, analytic philosopher, frustrated writer, frequently broke.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 13, 2019

Thank you for the recommendation! I wasn't aware of deep dish pizza being a Chicago thing, so we'll certainly keep an eye out for it. We're both kind of off meat, so I expect we'll skip the beef.

Are you from the Chicago area? Any galleries or museums or other sites you particularly recommend?

tacocat  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Also the Field Museum for a science experience

tacocat  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

My family is from Chicago. I've never lived there. I'm Chicago adjacent.

The Art Institute of Chicago

I went there once and my dad had to leave early to beat traffic. I wanted to stay long enough that traffic died down while we were there

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 13, 2019

As a man who causes agony to those I love whenever I participate in karaoke, I envy you.

darlinareyousleepy  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: This person does not exist.

Soon they'll be speaking in campaign videos (if they're not already). Then, they'll be holding flash rallies in their thousands.

What do you play?

darlinareyousleepy  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

I am a singer.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

darlinareyousleepy  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you.

Returning to the US for a holiday in a few months. We're going to Chicago and Ann Arbor, which will be a first for both of us. What should we do while we're there?

Also, I'm thinking about changing jobs.

tacocat  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·

The easy answer is to eat deep dish pizza. Which isn't wrong. The less common answer is to eat Italian beef. It's a roast beef sandwich dipped in au jus to put it simply.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

tacocat  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Also the Field Museum for a science experience

tacocat  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

My family is from Chicago. I've never lived there. I'm Chicago adjacent.

The Art Institute of Chicago

> Who'd choose to bankroll a defunct startup that's been on the receiving end of criticism over the scientific and financial viability of its colony is anyone's guess.

There's a handful of billionaire space enthusiasts who immediately come to mind.

I signed up for Mars One when it was first announced. I knew the proposal was very, very unlikely (really: I'm not a fool), but I thought that even with a 0.1% chance of success, the potential payoff was worth it.

Then I received an email from Mars One advising me that an ~$80 registration fee was required in order for me to proceed to "the next round". I lost interest then.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "This Godless Communism" - 1961 comic with introduction by J. Edgar Hoover

Fun read. Reminded me of the old Jack Chick tracts.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Space and Space Launch Updates

When can we expect to start seeing footage from Parker?

francopoli  ·  123 days ago  ·  link  ·

PSP is on the other side of the sun from the earth right now. I'd expect the end of the year.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  359 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski, what's your favourite TV show that is more than 20 years old?

Edge of Darkness - that is the original British tv series, not the US film - is a true masterpiece, that easily holds its own against any of the great shows of today.

Phoenix was another masterpiece, but even harder to get hold of today than Edge of Darkness.

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  363 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 21, 2018

You know Morgan's next book, Thin Air, is set in the same timeline as Thirt33n?

I did not! I will have to add that one to my wishlist!