a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Nepotist's comments
Nepotist  ·  342 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Elizabeth Warren Announces She Is Running for President in 2020

I think her appeal will be pretty wide. I was a Sanders guy in 2016 and even with this Native American BS she'd still be a top pick for me, especially since I've moved away from Sanders on a lot of issues.

Nepotist  ·  375 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google employees: We no longer believe the company places values over profits

It's hardly news that Google will set their values aside for the sake of profit. Considering how much Google already collaborates with our national intelligence agencies, this seems par for the course.

These were peer-reviewed. And in some cases the reviewer's suggestions pretty clearly indicated they understood it.

Was he asking for a recount, though? Seems like circlejerking when you're pointing out that fact that he can't ask for a recount if he wasn't anyways.

The idea that you can't ask for a recount when you're far enough apart in votes seems reasonable, but the question is where that threshold would be. According to the stats I just googled with minimal effort, Trump's win was by a large fraction of a percent. While it's not a huge win, it is large enough to where a recount wouldn't change anything, unless you've got outright election fraud going on.

Odder  ·  393 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, he was probably going to. He waited until the next day to concede even though he was down by almost 1 percent and the only uncounted ballots were from a predominantly blue part of Milwaukee.

Nepotist  ·  402 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Vote against all Republicans. Every single one.

The author spends 2/3rds of the "article" citing Trump's behavior as a reason to "Vote against all Republicans. Every single one." Much of the other third of the article is still Trump related, but in a way that tries to indict Senate and House republicans.

I wish we had a real reason to vote for democrats other than the anti-Trump angle, but we don't.

nowaypablo  ·  399 days ago  ·  link  ·

How about education? Un-fuck the DoED?

PTR  ·  402 days ago  ·  link  ·

Max Boot is center. Moderate. He's not going to encourage votes for Democrats. That's not his leaning or his party.

Nepotist  ·  403 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I expect to die during the Great Migration

We can build new power plants, and you're talking about the types of water usage that are going to be cut last.

Agriculture actually takes up the vast majority of water usage, and there are lots of types of farming that use more water than others. This is also ignoring the fact that in many areas there will be increased precipitation and a larger number of growing days per year, meaning more potential food can be grown.

Climate change will cause major problems, but I just don't see your scenario happening.

goobster  ·  402 days ago  ·  link  ·

The climate zone is moving north. Rapidly. In as little as 10 years, there may be no crops south of Colorado.

The Dust Bowl of the 1930's only took two years to get from, "Hey... this drought sucks" to a quarter million people being driven out or killed by black sand accumulation.

And that was a localized drought. Not a global change in climate temperatures spanning the Equator, and hundreds of millions of people who are not in a really robust financial or food-safety position right now.

As those temperate zones move away from the Equator, people living in equatorial climates will have to leave. For food. For work. And, eventually, for water. Where do you think they will go?

Nepotist  ·  404 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Southern California suffers its worst housing slump in over a decade

It's a combination of high pricing and mortgage interest rates finally climbing. When you're talking about houses in the several hundred thousand dollar range, a 1% interest spike means several hundred a month in interest

Nepotist  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The decline and fall of Elizabeth Warren

That DNA test was an embarrassment. I was a huge Bernie supporter during the 2016 cycle (made hundreds of calls, gave around $300 to his campaign), and it was frustrating to watch Warren sit on the sidelines, especially with how close Bernie ended up coming.

I would still be OK with Warren as the Democratic nominee, though. I'm definitely less of a fan that I was 5 years ago, but I have reservations about Bernie's age, and I'm still annoyed that he gave my contact info to some part of the democratic machine; I still get texts asking me to volunteer for random candidates I don't give a shit about. Him as the president, Giffords as his running mate, but I would be OK with Warren instead

Nepotist  ·  406 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Transportation

What's the destination?

psychoticmilkman  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·

St. Louis, MO. I recommend the Zoo and Art Museum!

necroptosis  ·  405 days ago  ·  link  ·

The botanical garden is also superb! I’m also second the art museum recommendation, it’s one of my favorites.

I guess I ate the onion.

am_Unition  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·

We’ve all been Borowitz’d at least once in our lives

cgod  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ain't that the truth.

It's pretty easy to check someone's retweets. This article is a fluff piece

darlinareyousleepy  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's satire

Nepotist  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·

I guess I ate the onion.

am_Unition  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·

We’ve all been Borowitz’d at least once in our lives

cgod  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ain't that the truth.

Nepotist  ·  413 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Rich White Civil War

The comparison to cults is due the degree of conformity expressed, not particular positions. As to the "fake" problem, I was thinking about the people that try to compare Trump supporters to Nazis, but it was vague and worded poorly

blackbootz  ·  413 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm genuinely curious: When is "cultish" conformity justified, or is it definitionally a bad thing? I'm speaking specifically with respect to reforming healthcare, but one can imagine other positions with a similar degree of conformity. I believe an electoral subgroup's large-majority attachment to alleviating the medical--not to mention the financial and psychic--pain that our healthcare system inflicts as a matter of course an occasion for justifiably high degrees of support.

My priors are such that I think providing a safety net is a good thing. I say that despite my libertarian sympathies, as someone who's traveled and read, witnessed and experienced personally the medical system and its (lack of) coverage.

The heart of Brooks' false equivalency is, to me, betrayed by his suggestion that if despise Trump and his enablers... I must be part of a cult?

Nepotist  ·  421 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: After Ruining Mayonnaise, Can Millennials Save America?

But millennials have one glaring, society-crushing character problem, and it has nothing to do with sandwich preference: They truly don’t vote. Too many have checked out of the whole citizen-power thing. You can blame the lack of civics education during their formative years, when not enough of them studied the owner’s manual of democracy.

No, you can blame the fact that both parties are corrupt, and there's not much incentive to get out and vote for some shitty uninspiring democrat that wants you to vote for them on the basis that they're less shitty than that republican over there.

Nepotist  ·  422 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Large Majorities Dislike Political Correctness - The Atlantic

The other issue is that retarded itself became the clinical term of choice after everyone started using imbecile in a derogatory way.

However, the term imbecile quickly passed into vernacular usage as a derogatory term, and fell out of professional use in the 20th century[11] in favor of mental retardation.

Phrases "mental retardation", "mentally retarded", and "retarded" are subject to the euphemism treadmill: initially used in a medical manner, they gradually took on derogatory connotation, just as did earlier synonyms (for example, moron, imbecile, cretin, dolt and idiot, formerly used as scientific terms in the early 20th century), leading to a search for connotatively neutral replacements

Eventually some other word would replace retard anyways.

tacocat  ·  422 days ago  ·  link  ·
Nepotist  ·  426 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pack the Supreme Court

That isn't packing the court, that's just them playing obstructionist politics

galen  ·  426 days ago  ·  link  ·

You gonna make an argument, or just an assertion?