MrMedici's comments
MrMedici  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's Hubski Reading?

These sound really interesting- Unfortunately my skill with Irish is really low and so I'll have to keep an eye on those books until I figure out Irish/finish off German.

AnSionnachRua  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Mine isn't too great either! I have trouble with a lot of Irish's grammatical quirks (especially the case system, because it's absent or at least invisible in English).

Half of the challenge of reading in Irish is getting your hands on the books! There are a few Irish publishers, but books in Gaeilge aren't found in ordinary bookstores. I'm lucky to have a friend in Connemara with a massive collection of books. Gafa is the only Irish book I actually own; I found it in the "Foreign Languages" section of a second-hand bookstore, and when I told the aforementioned friend's mother, she was actually upset that it was found there.

quran.com is a good place to start because it has multiple translations you can consult and a literal translation if you hover over the Arabic words. I want to note that a lot of the punctuation symbols you'll see in the Quran are only relevant if you want to work on tajweed, the "proper" way to read the Quran out loud.

Since the tajweed notation basically turns the Quran into a sort of musical sheet (for lack of a better term) it's better if you save that until you're on good footing with the language, if you want to learn it.

johnnyFive  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ok, that's perfect. Having a mouse-over definition can really help. Thanks, I'll bookmark it for when I get there.

Pronunciation-wise, as long as I have the basic letters down, that'll be good for now. As you say, that could be an interesting addition, though!

...I can already tell you're a nerd like me. Let's be friends.

MrMedici  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's Hubski Reading?

I've not heard of either of those books- what're they about?

Cumol  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

Waking Up is basically the attempt to find spirituality coming from a rational and scientific point of view. Very interesting read actually.

Demian is a book by Hermann Hesse, the same guy that wrote, Siddhartha, Steppenwolf und NarziƟ and Goldmund. He is very good in telling the stories of people with all of their aspects. In Demian he follows the childhood and puberty of a boy. Usually his books tell parts of his own life and the way he does it is fascinating.

Hmm... Have you tried looking at the #bookz undernet IRC channel? They might have what you're looking for. I got the Fever Crumb trilogy as well as the second half of Predator Cities (plus the Traction Codex!) from there.

okay  ·  505 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can't find any of his poetry collections on there. I'm gonna hold out for the physical copies of his novels, though.

A fan of Valiant Comics, I take it?

user-inactivated  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

Honestly? Starting out, I was really gung-ho about them. I read a lot of Valiant comics growing up, I've never really been a fan of DC and Marvel has burned me so many times that I'll enjoy their cinematic universe but pretty much ignore their comics with the exception of a few curiosity purchases here and there. That said, my enthusiasm for them has died down a bit over the past two years, but I'm still pretty supportive of them because they still put out a, in my opinion, relatively solid product.

Finished Oliver Twist a little while ago after reading it off and on for the last few months. I enjoyed the book, but found it very slow going for some reason.

I'm speaking from my own experience as someone who's read a fair few early 20th century books (To Kill a Mockingbird, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Parasite by Arthur Conan Doyle, and a few more), these books are kind of slow-going, probably because they were made for an audience with less entertainment options and thus more reason to stick around and read the books to the finish.

At the moment, I'm reading Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton and trying to get myself started on Karen Armstrong's biography of the historical Buddha.

I like the name, Dragon's Teeth. What's it about? And what's the biography of the Buddha called?

Tiger_the_Lion  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

I usually have to take my time with Dickens, but this last one took months. I just couldn't seem to get into a good rhythm with it.

I like the name, Dragon's Teeth. What's it about?

Historical fiction about the Bone Wars. It's a previously unpublished manuscript, so it's in need of some editing, but I'm digging it so far.

And what's the biography of the Buddha called?

I thought maybe I was forgetting a subtitle or something, but the book's just called Buddha.

AnSionnachRua  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

A lot of Dickens' books were originally serialised, so there's a possibility they were padded out a bit for extra longevity. I've heard so about Great Expectations at least, though I haven't actually read anything of his.

I keep seeing A Song of Ice and Fire and the other Game of Thrones books around, but I've never bothered to pick one up because I'm tired of hearing about the show. Are the books anything like the show so far?

johnnyFive  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes and no. The show is a reasonably faithful adaptation at first, but then starts to go in a different direction. A couple of seasons ago they passed where the books end.

I've totally given up on the books - GRRM has been saying the next one is "almost done" for years, and I personally don't believe he'll finish the series before he either retires or dies. If it ever happens, I'm going to wait until he's released the whole series and then I'll read them.

ThurberMingus  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can't really judge that. I never got into the show, only saw bits of the first couple seasons when my old roommate watched them.

The books are huge (30 - 40 hours of audio) and have an enormous number of characters. But he does a better job than I expected of keeping the story moving despite the size. I think they're good, maybe not as fantastic as the hype suggests.

I've never read a James Michener book before (Gonna look him up in a bit), and On Killing certainly seems like a fascinating read- Media that meditates on human nature are quite interesting imo.

Dune, huh? I've wanted to read the series for quite a while since I'm particularly charmed by the Islam-inspired aspects of the world (I'm a Muslim myself), and I've never heard of Destination: Void before. I'll check it out when I can!

johnnyFive  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dune is by far my favorite fiction series of all time. I re-read the first book at least once a year (and bought the Folio Society's amazing edition awhile back). The religious thinking that underlies parts of it is pretty amazing.

Random question, related to that: do you have an English version of the Qu'ran that you'd recommend? I've read some of A. J. Arberry's translation, which I've heard is stylistically good but not the best in terms of accuracy. Learning Quranic Arabic is on my to-do list, but I've got another language (which I've only just started) to finish first.

MrMedici  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

AnSionnachRua  ·  510 days ago  ·  link  ·

Learning Quranic Arabic is on my to-do list

I can only imagine that's even more difficult than regular old Arabic. Godspeed my son! You're a sucker for punishment.

johnnyFive  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think it will be. Modern Standard Arabic is based in large part on the text of the Qu'ran, and is basically the literary and more "official" language (e.g. of newscasts and the like), and my differ a fair amount from what you hear on a streetcorner. Fluent speaking is by far the hardest part of learning a language, and that's not something I'm trying to do. Being able to recognize, say, a verb form is much easier than having to remember it on your own and then use it properly.

Two other factors help. The main thing is that I'm not on a deadline. If it takes me 3 years to learn what a college student would learn in a semester, so what? The other is that the more time you spend learning language, the more you learn to take languages on their own terms, and you stop fighting them. It makes things a lot easier.

AnSionnachRua  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

A good point! Much easier to develop receptive skills than productive ones, especially reading. It also seems like people retain those skills for much longer - I know a lot of people who studied French in school years ago and couldn't get beyond "je m'appelle" but can still understand some written bits.

johnnyFive  ·  509 days ago  ·  link  ·

Exactly. Right now direct communication isn't my goal, so I can take the easier route. This has an added benefit of allowing me to learn on my own schedule, and not be subject to when a class (or even just another person) may be able to meet.

MrMedici  ·  524 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What football will look like in the future

Update: Just finished it. It's certainly fascinating, not gonna lie. Wish there was more material on the Typo Game though, it sounds hilarious.

I like the fact that a football game takes up an entire state and thousands of players on both sides. It's like PUBG but with football.

MrMedici  ·  524 days ago  ·  link  ·

MrMedici  ·  525 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What football will look like in the future

I have no idea exactly what the hell I'm looking at, but I like it.

In my opinion, you are looking at one of the more brilliant applications of metafiction in a very, very long time.

MrMedici  ·  524 days ago  ·  link  ·

MrMedici  ·  524 days ago  ·  link  ·

MrMedici  ·  525 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

A user after my own heart. New as I am, I do look forward to chatting with you whenever we end up on the same thread!

MrMedici  ·  525 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

As someone who knows next to scrap about acronyms- What's MLM as Gem said it actually stand for?