Lu's comments
Lu  ·  1960 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Goats at O'Hare Airport

I couldn't agree more. I totally support goats in public spaces, they can hold their own.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Lu  ·  1969 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Squatting

Thank you so much for sharing this, I am really interested in hearing stories of fellow squatters. I actually lived in Rotterdam for 1 1/2 years, and for a short time I lived in an antikraak in the center of Rotterdam. It was a office building from the 70's, slated for demolition, and the owners let people squat in it if they paid the utilities. The building was eventually demolished and everyone was told they had to move, but it was great while it lasted. I did a lot of research about squatting in the UK, and NL, they pretty much started the whole thing off, and legalised it for a time. I hope you can help support my project, http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-practical-guide-to-squat..., and spread the word. Thanks again!

Lu  ·  1970 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Squatting

Well actually, it was more of a hypothetical. I would love to however. The building that I studied is for sale, and if only I had a heap of cash I would buy it in a second.

BLOB_CASTLE  ·  1970 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's an abandoned building? And I'm assuming that's in Australia as well? How much is it?

edit: Wait a minute. If it's abandoned, why would buying it be an option if squatting is the goal?

Lu  ·  1970 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why Your Supermarket Only Sells 5 Kinds of Apples

This was a great read, apples have sure been on my mind lately. I just finished working in an apple packing shed for a small apple farm in the Granite Belt region of Australia. Let me tell you, the world of the apple is a curious one. For starters I was amazed at the quantity of apples that are deemed unfit for sale to the larger grocery stores. They seem to scrutinise the quality the most. The smaller grocers are far more lenient, after all small bruises and imperfections on the apple doesn't render is junk, just not "perfect". The small farmers are slowly being forced out and made to deal with great losses as the larger conglomerate grocers (namely woolworth's, coles and IGA) continue to demand more and more perfection and efficiency out of a natural product that is of course subject to, temperature, sun condition, soil conditions, unwanted pests, etc. that are often impossible to control, or very very expensive. The majority of the apples I packed were the Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Pink Lady and sometimes Fuji's, however they are being harvested less and less due to their soft skin which is subject to more bruising during transport. Often the farmers shipment is rejected because of small imperfections and the farmer is forced to try and sell to another buyer if not too much time has passed, or it goes to juice. Apples for juice only pays 50 cents a kilo , which is nothing. And that's just apples, wait till I tell you about onions!

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  1970 days ago  ·  link  ·

> The small farmers are slowly being forced out and made to deal with great losses as the larger conglomerate grocers (namely woolworth's, coles and IGA) continue to demand more and more perfection and efficiency out of a natural product that is of course subject to, temperature, sun condition, soil conditions, unwanted pests, etc. that are often impossible to control, or very very expensive.

Add to that labour costs, rising fuel prices, the soaring value of the Australian dollar and the fact that apples can be grown overseas and sold at rates below production costs here, and the outlook for small farmers looks pretty grim.

Lu  ·  1971 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Squatting

Thanks for helping my spread the word. Actually most of the things in the book I have done, some I revised. The solar over I made, but a different version of it, I cooked hot dogs and hot chocolate in it in the dead of winter, under the sun when it was nearly -25 Celsius. No wifi at the orchard, I spend a lot of time at the library or at MCDonalds siphoning free wifi.

user-inactivated  ·  1969 days ago  ·  link  ·

With an empty can and few parts from a hardware store it's possible to build a long-range wifi antenna. You should check it out

thenewgreen  ·  1971 days ago  ·  link  ·

The thought of you living "off the grid," in an apple orchard was awesomely romantic, until you threw in the need to siphon wifi off of a McDonalds.

Lu  ·  1974 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How To Finance a Start-Up

Much obliged! and don't worry...many updates are forthcoming

Thanks for the insight. I spent last night looking over VC websites and gust.com etc. and all it made me feel was dirty. I have to say that I think this 'self made man' is a myth, and I don't buy it a bit. Everyone get's help from somewhere, whether it be mental support or a big first client....namely family. I have no illusions about scratching all the capitol together and heading down to the bank and having them give me a loan, cause that won't happen. But I certainly won't be able to fund my company without help. I am trying to establish my own design company of sorts, and soon launching a campaign on indiegogo.com. (Apologies in advance for my future self-promotion). I like the idea of crowd-sourcing, but I am worried that I will still be limited to my circle of friends, family & colleagues. But we'll see how it goes

thenewgreen  ·  1974 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good luck Lu, I look forward to hearing more about it. Obviously, every venture is different and some require much more capital to exist and "get by." The longer you boot-strap, the more attractive you will be to investors once you need their capital.

I look forward to hearing more about what you are accomplishing. Go Lu!

Lu  ·  1974 days ago  ·  link  ·

Much obliged! and don't worry...many updates are forthcoming

Lu  ·  1976 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Is there any interest here for seeing some photos of Cold War era tunnels?

absolutely

Lu  ·  2214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Does anyone have an unlocked smartphone?

I recently tried to bail halfway through a 3 year contract in BC as I am going traveling for a while. They let me pair my contract down to $25 a month and unlocked my phone for $50 so that I can use it anywhere. Wasn't too bad, either way I am getting hit for having a 3 year contract, this way I pay monthly instead of all at once.

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Lu  ·  2254 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What should I do with my life?
The relevant question in looking at a job is not What will I do? but Who will I become? What belief system will you adopt, and what will take on heightened importance in your life? Because once you're rooted in a particular system -- whether it's medicine, New York City, Microsoft, or a startup -- it's often agonizingly difficult to unravel yourself from its values, practices, and rewards.

What is the value-system and culture of your profession/wokplace? This question really sunk its teeth into me, perhaps because the answer has the potential to be soo fundamentally at odds with who I am. We all know the cliche aphorism "You are not defined by what you do". While this may ring some truth, I must admit I am a little reluctant to accept that what you do for a living and your character or personhood operate independently.

b_b  ·  2253 days ago  ·  link  ·
I think finding a career that helps to define you is actually a good thing, because it means that you probably care about your work and will have an easier time succeeding because of it. A surgeon, for example, is a surgeon; he doesn't just do surgery. I think the same can be said for an artist, or a college professor, or a pilot, or any number of professions that one gets into because they have a passion for the field. I think it breeds a sense of duty and a kind of earnestness that can't be replicated by just doing to get a paycheck.
Lu  ·  2311 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is your lame claim to fame?
When I was 11 the CBC interviewed me about a Cankerworm epidemic in the city of Winnipeg. I think I told them "I hate how they get stuck in my hair, and sometimes my mouth" - my one true moment of brilliance!
Lu  ·  2319 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Cloud vs The Hard Drive?
Thanks for the comments! I think a little of both might be the way to go.
Lu  ·  2331 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Six Best Post Race Beers
I like this theory and have always heard that beer after cardio is good for replacing your electrolytes. One thing that this article doesn't point out about the original study is that the bubbles, salts and carbs in the beer help the body absorb fluids better and faster, but you should still be consuming water as well. There were two test subjects, ones that drank beer and water and ones that just drank water, and the former were more hydrated.