KapteinB's comments
KapteinB  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google Just Gave 2 Billion Chrome Users A Reason To Switch To Firefox [or Brave]

If I've understood it correctly, this will affect all Chromium browsers, including Brave, Opera, and Vivaldi. But if I've understood it correctly, it only affects extensions, not the built-in ad-blocking of Brave and Opera.

Devac  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

You're right to the extent of how Brave/Opera/Vivaldi implemented their own blockers (I have no idea myself), but when we talk about codebase as large as Chromium's, it's very easy to miss things. Not even in a 'conspiracy' sense (e.g. something malicious stuck in a crucial binary blob inherited from Google, IIRC Chromium still has those despite their years of effort), just a simple, honest mistake. Frankly, I recommend Pi-hole/hostfiles regardless of browser. It just makes things easier in the long run.

KapteinB  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over

At $6.99/month, what family with kids under 12 years wouldn’t subscribe?

The low price is an interesting point. If Disney thought they could compete directly with Netflix, they'd probably price themself just slightly cheaper instead of much cheaper. By pricing themself this cheap, many existing Netflix subscribers will be willing to subscribe to both at the same time. If they were the same-ish price, many users would probably choose just one of the two to subscribe to.

I'm kind of interested to see if the readers here are changing media viewing habits... Cutting back? Watching more? Cutting cable? Paying for multiple streaming services? Or none?

I subscribe to Netflix all the time, and other streaming services some of the time. For example I'm currently subscribed to HBONordic, because I wanted to see Game of Thrones. I'll probably cancel is when I'm done watching Killing Eve. Last month I bought a month's subscription to a service named Viaplay, because I wanted to watch Infinity War before I saw Endgame in the theatre, and Viaplay had exclusive rights for it in Norway. I'll probably do the same with Disney, subscribe for a month when I want to binge a show or see a particular film.

At the moment I feel Netflix is the only service worth subscribing to full time, because they have so many good shows, and distribute them around the year. HBO has just three shows I'm currently interested in, Amazon Prime has three, Disney might have zero.

KapteinB  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Endgame is not a very good movie

Huh. On the one hand, I can understand why Apple would disable long-press entirely, as it provides a rather horribly user experience. But on the other hand, long-press allow a right-click equivalent, which is super useful.

Wait, don't iPhones have that force touch thing, where you click harder and something else happens? Try that.

Dala  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

The xR doesn’t have whatever that is. This is my first iPhone so I have no previous experience of whatever it used to do, but there are a couple of apps that have features that don’t work correctly with this phone because of it.

Long-click somewhere in the spoiler, and it will select a word and make it visible. Drag the edges of the selected area to cover all of it. Works in Firefox at least.

Dala  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

Does not work in Firefox or Safari on iPhone XR. I don’t think these phones have long press or something.

KapteinB  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dala  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

KapteinB  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Credit card donations don't seem to work

There used to be a Firefox extension named BATify that added BAT micropaymtes to Firefox, but it appears to have been discontinued. The GitHub repo is still up though, so maybe someone will continue development of it. I'm not very fond of the idea of abandoning Firefox either. Let's fight that windmill together!

KapteinB  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Endgame is not a very good movie

Now I've seen it. I actually liked it a lot better than Infinity War. I felt like it was better paced (maybe because half the characters were missing from the previous film), and less bleak and more funny.

KapteinB  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Endgame is not a very good movie

I was afraid of that. I'm still planning to see it tomorrow, so I'm not reading your spoiler. It feels like an obligation more than anything. I reached superhero fatigue years ago, so I only watch these films in theatre if they get good reviews, and I usually leave disappointed. I watched Infinity War because it good good reviews, and because I felt like I should catch the ending to the whole saga. I was surprised and happy at the ending, when many of the heroes died, but when I noticed who were dying and who weren't, I started to catch on. They should have done us the courtesy that Kill Bill did and added Part 1 to the title.

lil  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

read the spoiler.

irrelevantseal  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

I enjoyed it, but i walked in with low expectations because i wasnt a fan if the other avengers movies

KapteinB  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·

KapteinB  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Brave browser launches ads that reward users for viewing

No no, they come up with a new creative name every day, to describe in metaphors the latest development of BAT's value, I assume. It's honestly rather impressive. Unless it's just mad libs, hard to say for sure.

...well they're certainly interested.

Hah, true enough! Well.

Like with any cryptocurrency project; most of the users are in it for the money. They've invested early and are hoping Brave becomes mainstream so they can cash out as millionaires. They have a Daily BAT Discussion where they discuss how the value of their currency has changed in the last 24 hours, and they are completely stoked to have made the equivalent of $0.02 from clicking an advertisement.

And then there's the whole cult of personality thing they have going for their CEO.

You didn't say that the "daily BAT discussion" was called a "smoking sauna."

Noob question, how do I find ads in Brave?

LOL

KapteinB  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·

...well they're certainly interested.

KapteinB  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Biden Announces Candidacy

According to FiveThirtyEight Bernie's polling second.

KapteinB  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Brave browser launches ads that reward users for viewing

I'm passionate about web browsers, so I sometimes visit Brave's subreddit. It's a fascinating place. If you want an influx of new users for Hubski, post a submission there that Hubski is now a verified Brave publisher. Just be warned that they are a rather peculiar bunch.

orbat  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know, I'm not all that enthusiastic about the idea of "advertising" Hubski on reddit. That place is an absolute cesspool, and I'd rather not have spillover

...like we're normal or something

KapteinB  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hah, true enough! Well.

You didn't say that the "daily BAT discussion" was called a "smoking sauna."

Noob question, how do I find ads in Brave?

LOL

KapteinB  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·

...well they're certainly interested.

Better than Chrome, IMO.

A huge flaw of Chrome on mobile is that it doesn't support extensions, which means among other things no ad blocking (unless you use some sort of system-wide ad blocking, like hosts file filtering). Brave on mobile probably also doesn't support extensions, but it has built-in ad blocking, so at least that's taken care of.

Personally I ditched both Chrome and Google after the Snowden leaks. Thankfully DDG has improved a lot since then.

KapteinB  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Prospiracy Theories

These are great! Thanks for sharing. :-)

I could easily see some of these go viral among people who don't see the irony.

johnnyFive  ·  65 days ago  ·  link  ·

There was actually a post on the SlateStarCodex subreddit linking to /r/forwardsfromgrandma where someone had posted the Obama one without realizing it was satire.

KapteinB  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Interesting commentary on how Australians should view the Trump presidency

Stokes has made a study of how Trump has changed the American people’s attitudes to the world. After looking at decades of Pew polling, his main conclusions are threefold: that Trump has shattered any broad American consensus about the US role in the world, that he’s reshaped Republican voters’ opinion in his own image, and that these changes aren’t going to go away when Trump does.

How can he be so certain that the changes aren't going to be reversed? To me it looks that Trump has proven that the majority of Republican voters have no ideology other than what their president and/or Fox News tells them, so as soon as Fox News changes their tune, so should the voters, right?

NikolaiFyodorov  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·

>as soon as Fox News changes their tune, so should the voters, right?

The extent to which Fox shapes public opinion, and to which public opinion shapes Fox, is a topic that likely deserves its own hubski post and a great deal of considered discussion.

ThurberMingus  ·  75 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why would Fox change their tune though? He's proven that they like being riled up too, so after he's voted out what incentive is there for him or Fox or any republican wanting the same following to change? I don't think a pre-trump republican can run because the rabble will happily throw them out led by Fox and trump on the sidelines.

KapteinB  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The anticlimactic conclusion of the Mueller saga is unequivocally good for America

There's an ArtHouse logo at the bottom. Is it this Arthouse, or is there some other company named ArtHouse that caters to conspiracy theorists?

KapteinB  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·

Wow. Yeah, I can see why you'd want his art, and I can see why you wouldn't want him to have any of your money.