KapteinB's comments
KapteinB  ·  51 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

It's an anti-spam feature. Share your words in the comment sections for a while, until the mods are sure you're not a bot or a troll.

Also; welcome!

Clariti  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for teaching us newbies the ropes KapteinB :) We appreciate you!

Clariti  ·  10 hours ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
KapteinB  ·  19 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

That looks pretty good for something made by a group of happy amateurs!

KapteinB  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

There's a less advanced version available named Ticket to Ride: First Journey. Might want to start there.

KapteinB  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How millennials are breathing fresh life into the ancient Irish language

Outline link.

Tangentially related: I've been watching Outlander on Netflix, and parts of the dialogue is in Scottish Gaelic, which took me a bit by surprise, but made the whole show feel a bit more authentic and enjoyable to me. I do hope these languages will be able to survive, so it's nice to see them gain a bit of traction, both in pop culture and in real life.

francopoli  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

It is a pretty language. Wish I had taken the time to learn it back a million years ago. The Grandparents spoke it among the family.

KapteinB  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 308th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I haven't heard of Radioakt One before. That's pretty good!

Personally I've been listening a bit to Starbomb lately. Is comedy rap a genre? Nerdcore maybe?

And related band Ninja Sex Party. Uuuh, comedy glam rock I guess?

KapteinB  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People who have moved out of parents, how old were you when you left?

Good luck!

now that the global economy is contracting

Is it?

Very much so.

KapteinB  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fast Train to Failure

That's a shame. The writer seems to suggest that the whole project should be scrapped and forgotten though, I'm not sure I agree. Many would benefit from such a high-speed rail-road, so while it might be for the best to scrap the current project, it might be better to restart it with new management.

KapteinB  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: IBM And The Blockchain Bet

I'm generally risk-averse, so I only buy index funds. Then again we're overdue for the next financial crisis, so maybe the wisest is to stuff your cash into the mattress for now and buy IBM stock for cheap after the crash.

Interestingly Chrome has become more like Firefox lately. There was the recent introduction of curved tabs that look suspiciously like the old Australis interface. Now they're working on a scrollable tab bar and some form of tab groups.

Chrome plugins usually work well in other Chromium-based browsers, like Opera and Brave, so there's still some freedom of choice.

There seems to be quite a bit of speculation in this article. I think it's more likely that Microsoft will replace the engine in Edge from EdgeHTML to Chromium. They'll probably keep the name Edge, and make it look the same and have more or less the same features. (Though maybe they'll do a re-release with a code name, like Mozilla did with Firefox Quantum.) This makes sense to me from a business perspective, as it's much cheaper to use someone else's engine than to maintain their own, and functionally it makes little difference.

KapteinB  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to the Golden Age of Weird Promoted Tweets

As a non-Twitter-user I had no idea about this. Keep doing your weird thing, Weird Promoted Tweeters!

According to digital marketing company ThriveHive, the average cost for a promoted tweet was $1.35 per engagement in 2017.

Does that seem expensive to anyone else? Though I suppose these tweets usually get hundreds of times more views than engagements.

KapteinB  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Yo, GenZ. You kids doing OK down there?

I had to look up who GenZ is. Not to be confused with the Iranian village of Genz. I recently learned that I myself am a Millennial. Why yes, I am killing _____ on purpose. You'll thank me later.

This video is weird. I don't like it. Except the part where they use babies as instruments, that part was amazing!

I do appreciate a bit of surrealism, though in moderation I guess.

KapteinB  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

We could use some more gamers here! What are you playing these days?