KapteinB's comments
KapteinB  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Best Songs in the (Fictional) Universe

I enjoyed the article, but there are some serious omissions. Someone on Tildes linked this from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

ThurberMingus  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I forgot about that movie, I like almost all the music in it.

Alright, this next song goes out to the guy who keeps yelling from the balcony. It's called "We Hate You, Please Die."

KapteinB  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Movie Week Part 2

I've seen Nobel, because it was kind of a big deal here in Norway when it was released. Honestly I don't remember much of it, but I quite liked it. It is, as we say here, "god, for å være norsk". (Good, for something Norwegian.)

johnnyFive  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ha! I take it y'all's movie/TV industry doesn't have the best domestic reputation?

KapteinB  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

More or less what you'd expect from a country our size, I'd say. :-p Theatres are dominated by Hollywood, and most TV channels air mostly US and UK productions.

I feel like things have improved quite a lot the last few years though. Lilyhammer was enjoyable, and Norsemen is hilarious. In theatres I greatly enjoyed Thelma last year.

KapteinB  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Amy Winehouse hologram to start touring in 2019

I think this is inevitable for dead celebrities, but I hadn't yet considered the possibility of doing this with still living celebrities. Personally I'd say there's a big difference between watching an artist live and watching a pre-recorded hologram. Theatre versus film comes to mind as a comparison.

The technology is still in its infancy though. In not too many years the holograms will no longer be pre-recorded, but will be able to respond to the audience, even take requests and improvise during the concert.

KapteinB  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Study: Nearly Half Of Anti-‘The Last Jedi’ Tweets Were Bots

Real news with fake comments? How long has The Onion been doing this type of content?

galen  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

At least as long as I've been reading it (since ~2009). Usually not as hyped as the main features, but it's always been a regular column (also in the print edition).

tacocat  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

They've always done it as far as I know. It's always the same people's pictures too with different occupations. I saw them call a guy an Instagram poet the other day

This actually looks surprisingly good for all parts, at a first glance.

New name. Goodbye NAFTA. The new deal will be known as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA. Trump, who had long disdained NAFTA, had suggested that he might call it the “USMC,” in honor of the U.S. Marine Corps, but in the end, USMCA won out.

Dumb and pointless, but no big deal.

Big changes for cars. The goal of the new deal is to have more cars and truck parts made in North America. Starting in 2020, to qualify for zero tariffs, a car or truck must have 75 percent of its components manufactured in Canada, Mexico or the United States, a substantial boost from the current 62.5 percent requirement.

Slightly more jobs, but cars will be slightly more expensive because of this. At least it benefits/hurts all three nations equally.

There’s also a new rule that a significant percentage of the work done on the car must be completed by workers earning at least $16 an hour, or about three times what the typical Mexican autoworker makes.

While the goal of this might very well be to make Mexican factories less competitive, the biggest winners here are workers.

Canada is keeping most of its complex system in place, but it is giving greater market share to U.S. dairy farmers. U.S. negotiators say they got a major victory by forcing Canada to eliminate the pricing scheme for what are known as Class 7 dairy products. That means U.S. dairy farmers can probably send a lot more milk protein concentrate, skim milk powder and infant formula to Canada (and those products are relatively easy to transport and store).

This will hurt a bit for Canadian dairy farmers, but doesn't sound like a huge deal.

Canada’s victory: Chapter 19, allowing for a special dispute process, stays intact. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said repeatedly that he wanted to keep Chapter 19 in place, and that’s exactly what happened. The U.S. side pushed hard to eliminate this chapter, but in the end, it stayed.

I'm not too familiar with this, but it sounds like a good thing.

The USMCA makes a number of significant upgrades to environmental and labor regulations, especially regarding Mexico. For example, the USMCA stipulates that Mexican trucks that cross the border into the United States must meet higher safety regulations and that Mexican workers must have more ability to organize and form unions.

Wait, what? A Republican administration has negotiated a treaty that is good for the environment and encourages unionising? Did I accidentally stumble through a portal to Bizarro World?

The new IP chapter is 63 pages and contains more-stringent protections for patents and trademarks, including for biotech, financial services and even domain names.

Can't really comment on this, but as the article mentions, a lot has changed in 25 years, so it might be overdue.

U.S. drug companies will now be able to sell pharmaceuticals in Canada for 10 years before facing generic competition. That’s up from eight years of so-called “market protection” now.

Good for business, bad for sick people, but overall not a very big deal.

Chapter 11, giving investors a special way to fight government decisions, is (mostly) gone. Chapter 11 is eliminated entirely for Canada and mostly for Mexico, except for some key industries such as energy and telecommunications.

I don't really know enough about this to comment on it.

One interesting thing to me about this new deal are the superficial similarities to TPP, including the parts about intellectual property, and the parts about minimum wages for some workers. Yet more proof that the only reason to withdraw from the TPP was because Obama wanted to stay in it.

goobster  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think cars might be the real interesting thing here... this will basically prevent any "low cost" cars from being sold in the US, because they will be more expensive, and eating into the mid-range cars. So expect to see the Toyota econoboxes of the world vanish from American market (after 2020, when this goes into effect), and for the "base model" car available in the US to be a 4-door sedan.

(Can't remember the details - I'm sure KB will chime in with exacts - but the profit margin on a low end car is only in the hundreds of dollars, right now. Triple the assembly costs due to the 3x increase in the Mexican minimum wage, and that profit margin is gone. Increase the price of the car to make up for that loss, and now you are selling your "economy" car for the same price as your mid-range sedan. That ain't gonna fly. It'll be easier to just drop the cheap cars entirely from the catalog.)

BUT. This only applies to cars made and sold IN AMERICA.

Now American car manufacturers (and everyone else), can throw off the shackles of American emissions and safety regulations, and freely innovate in the foreign markets. Because the North American auto market is now completely isolated and insulated from the foreign market - no American cars being exported because they are too expensive, and no foreign cars being imported - and the chains are off for Ford China, or Ford India. Make whatever you want! It no longer has to meet California's highly restrictive emissions/safety standards!

In 15 years, American roads will look like Cuba's roads... vintage, simple, old, vehicles, being maintained and operated by shadetree mechanics. While other markets will basically have flying electric cars.

More Winning! More MAGA!

KapteinB  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sexual Abuse Isn’t Partisan... Yet the response usually is.

Shockingly the Republican approach seems to be working. Both Trump's approval rating and the Republicans' chance of retaining control of the House has soared during the Kavanaugh circus.

Some reports indicate that 1 in 4 women have been a victim of sexual assault. One implication of that is that a significant number of men are sexual predators. A large enough potential voter base that it seems to be paying off to cater to them.

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think the "she shouldn't have been dressed that way" effect comes into play, too. People want to justify that they and their families wouldn't be victims. They dismiss the victims because it helps them believe it wouldn't happen to them.

KapteinB  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Coming Storm Over the Supreme Court

Costa Rica

I think you mean Puerto Rico?

Naaaah, man, let's just annex everything south to Belize. I wanna see a flag with 87 stars on it.

WanderingEng  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

10 stars

That might look look ok. Shouldn't we annex all the Caribbean islands, too?

tacocat  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Why stop in this hemisphere? We have occupation troops in Iraq and Afghanistan

blackbootz  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

LOL.

yep.

KapteinB  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 299th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I've given Haken's new single some spins.

KapteinB  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh hey, the video was released today!

KapteinB  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Movie Week Part 2

KapteinB  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Study: Nearly Half Of Anti-‘The Last Jedi’ Tweets Were Bots

This is based on a recent study by someone at the University of Southern California. I haven't looked into the study, so I can't really say how credible it is. Since the Russian "troll factory" is a hot topic these days, parts of the media ran with it, possibly blowing it out of proportion.

I'm with you on being annoyed at the vocabulary used to describe these propaganda campaigns. "Fake news" was originally solely used when talking about the web sites masquerading as news organisations to make a quick buck on advertisement. Then parts of the media started using the term also when reporting on the Russian propaganda campaigns, some even muddling the two together. Then those who prefer the version of reality presented by the propaganda machine started using the term to describe real news. And now the term is basically meaningless.

But the bots is a real issue. An army of bots is an effective way to steer the conversation on social media, especially on Twitter, which has proven especially vulnerable to such campaigns.

So why would Russian shills waste their time on something as insignificant as the Star Wars fandom? My guess is there simply wasn't much important going on during that time, but people on the payroll needed something to tweet about. A big controversial film release is a good chance to cause some minor havoc during political downtime.

KapteinB  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 299th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Oh hey, the video was released today!

KapteinB  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: A major climate report will slam the door on wishful thinking

Sometimes I wonder i we could have saved ourselves if we hadn't ignored the Kyoto Protocol. Where would we be today, if a thousand more Floridians had voted Gore, and Bush jr. hadn't had the chance to refuse ratifying the Protocol? Most likely even that would have been too little too late, even if the ratifiers had actually committed to their promises. (I'm ashamed to say my own Norwegian government, which did indeed ratify, completely ignored their own promises, and we're currently nowhere near fulfilling our goals. And there are no real consequences to that. Well, other than the potential extinction of our species due to out of control climate change of course.)

Personally I think this report is just more proof that it's time we start taking direct control of our climate through climate engineering. Of the proposed methods I'm leaning towards a planetary sunshade. All the amazing progress we've seen in rocket technology over the last decade couldn't have come at a better time.

KapteinB  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: OC - Svalbard

He was a machine operator by trade. For a while he worked in the mines, but for most of his stay he worked as a bus driver.

I guess he had a few quirks, but he never struck me as particularly strange. While I only got to visit him twice on Svalbard, he had a summer residence in southern Norway, where I'd visit every summer when I was young. :-)

KapteinB  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Odd. For me it says this post was posted "1243 days ago", next to the username of the poster and the number of times it's been shared.

KapteinB  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Modern Monetary Theory (NPR Planet Money)

I'm not a big fan of podcasts, but I read a good article about MMT some time back.

Fascinating stuff really. If this all turns out to be true, all of us living today are going to look very silly for how we've been handling the economy.