KapteinB's comments
KapteinB  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Mattis Leaving Might Be The Most Important Trump Administration Exit Yet

Welcome to Hubski!

I think many of them are worried about who will replace him. Hawkish as Mattis is, at least he was competent.

KapteinB  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

Welcome! It's an anti-spam feature. Hang out in the comment section for a while, and as soon as we're reasonably sure you're not a spammer or an asshole, you'll get the right to submit posts.

KapteinB  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Happy New Year!

Godt nyttår! :-) Happy new year everyone!

KapteinB  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Merry Christmas

God jul, as we say here. :-)

KapteinB  ·  43 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

There's a less advanced version available named Ticket to Ride: First Journey. Might want to start there.

illu45  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Is that one still a Target exclusive? I think it was when it came out, but not sure at this point. It might also be worth checking out the Dice Tower's 12 Kids' Games of Christmas video. It's somewhat geared towards dexterity games, but there are some good other ones there too.

KapteinB  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah, I wouldn't know. I saw it in a book store here in Norway.

KapteinB  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Hubski Funding Bar currently sits at $302

You know what, you're right! I've used this place for a while now, I really like it, time to give back.

I get an error when I try to donate though...

Your account cannot currently make live charges. If you are the site owner, please activate your account at https://dashboard.stripe.com/account/details to remove this limitation. If you are a customer trying to make a purchase, please contact the owner of this site. Your transaction has not been processed.
francopoli  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·
mk  ·  50 days ago  ·  link  ·

Stripe wants our TIN. I don’t know it. Kinda stuck there atm.

francopoli  ·  49 days ago  ·  link  ·

Make a post when its ready.

KapteinB  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

Ah, I wouldn't know. I saw it in a book store here in Norway.

KapteinB  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ars Technica’s ultimate board game gift guide, 2018 edition

There's a variant of Carcassonne I like even better, named The Ark of the Covenant.

I like the temples of Ark more than the cloisters of Carcassonne, counting sheep and wolves more than counting towns, and I like that moving the ark gives you something to do when you can't (or don't want to) place a meeple.

That looks pretty good for something made by a group of happy amateurs!

KapteinB  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: No one makes a living on Patreon

For years, creators received 90 percent of their monthly earnings: 5 percent went back to Patreon, the middle man, and the remaining 5 percent went to fees and taxes. This changed in an email sent to creators this week, announcing that creators would take home “exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees.” While it seems like great news for Patreon’s creators, the response was livid. The fee change comes at a cost to the site’s patrons, and indirectly to its creators, who will get a higher percentage of donations but of a smaller dollar amount. Patreon is making up the lost 5 percent fee on creators by charging patrons an additional 2.9 percent + $.35 for each transaction. This means smaller donors will be hit the hardest.

Did Patreon go through with these changes, despite the backlash? I can't find anything on the Patreon FAQ about how much they charge now.

KapteinB  ·  113 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes as He Reaped Riches From His Father

I didn't read the whole thing, because it's very long, and I'd already read an article about this in a Norwegian newspaper.

Are anyone surprised though? From the moment he first refused to release his tax returns, we knew something shady was up. Even his cultists must have realised it, they just didn't care any more about his financial crimes than they cared about his sex crimes. Let's just hope he gets some sort of comeuppance. From what I understand it's too late for criminal charges, but it would be amazing if a sitting president were ordered to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in civil fines.

The article I read says the Times spent a year and a half on this investigation, which I find interesting. First of all I'm surprised they didn't start sooner, why not already during the Republican primaries, or at the very least immediately after the election? They (like all of us) knew he had been up to shady things, and they knew if they could prove it this would make for a series of explosive articles.

Secondly a year and a half is an awful long time for newspaper research, even for such a big case as this one. I don't think it's accidental; I think the Times are honouring the US tradition of the October Surprise in national elections. Save the most explosive stuff for the month before the election, when everyone's eyes are on the people they're covering.

Someone on Tildes predicted that Trump would do something moronic and/or evil to create headlines to distract from his tax fraud. Right on cue the president went on stage and publicly mocked professor Ford. Sometimes I wonder if he's a PR idiot savant, or just a very lucky idiot.

necroptosis  ·  112 days ago  ·  link  ·

I mean a year and a half does put this somewhat close to starting right after the election. I doubt they thought there was much of a need to dedicate those assets before the election. Most everyone assumed he was going to lose, and any work done wouldn’t matter by the time it finished.

As for the time? I don’t know, I feel like a year and a half is a reasonable time for three reporters to gather, sift, and interpret this much information. No doubt the timing is quite beneficial, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this report took about that much time to compile.

Part of the article talks about Trumps ability to talk himself up at the right times, and to maintain silence at others. The majority of his businesses are brand name centric. He built his visual empire on self image, he’s definitely not just lucky with PR

am_Unition  ·  112 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah I wish NYT would have waited another week or two for the Kavanaugh headlines to blow over before publishing this.

KapteinB  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

As a European this essay is an amazing read. I'm not at all surprised by the content, I've long suspected these people exist. I am however surprised that this person chose to publish this, because it's going to be enormously counter-productive, in that Trump is now aware that some of his closest are working against him. I have so many questions, and without a chance to get them answered, I have speculation.

My first reaction was that this seemed like a huge mistake by whoever wrote it, but after giving it some thought, maybe not. Let's have a look at who would benefit by publishing this:

1. Mike Pence

As has been pointed out, the writing sounds suspiciously like the vice president. If the president was to be removed, for example by invoking the 25th amendment, Pence would become president, and thus would have a lot to gain from it. The essay even mentions this possibility:

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

Just by mentioning it, especially in an essay this person knows will be the most talked about piece of writing this week, they get more people talking about this possibility. In combination with Trump being guaranteed to act even more crazy over the next weeks, this essay might actually be what sets in motion the invocation of the 25th amendment, making Pence the new president.

2. Someone who hates Mike Pence

As has been pointed out, the writing sounds suspiciously like the vice president. Surely the he would know to hide his tracks better? Someone is going to point out to Trump that this sounds like Pence, and the president is going to be furious. Whoever really wrote this, Pence is going to feel the consequences.

3. Republicans

Recent polls show the Democrats up by double digits, with midterm elections just two months away. In all likelihood the midterms will be a disaster for Republicans. (Never take anything for granted though. Remember to vote!) By posting this, they're telling the people out there that it's safe to vote for the reds despite Trump, because the republicans are perfectly able to control Trump's foul impulses. They don't need a Democrat-controlled house to do that.

The author may still have been Pence, just with "nobler" ideals behind it. Or it may still have been written by someone pretending to be Pence, because he's the only one Trump can't fire.

4. Trump

Since this essay was posted anonymously, it's impossible to verify, and therefore provides excellent fodder for Trump's campaign against the free press. If the New York Times actually was to post fabricated news to harm the president, this is exactly how they'd do it. That's the way this will be presented to Trump's cultists, and they're going to eat it up, galvanising them against the free press. That's going to be useful when the Mueller investigation steadily gets closer to him.

5. Anyone in the administration (other than Trump) hoping for a political career after 2020.

Someone has pointed out that this essay may be a sign of the imminent collapse of the Trump administration. If that was to happen, one way to avoid the fallout would be to publish such an essay beforehand, then publish proof of authorship after the collapse. That way this person can claim that they were not to blame for any of the disastrous things done by the Trump administration. On the contrary, they're a hero for preventing something much worse! #AnonymousEssayWriter2020

Let me hear, which option is your money on?

am_Unition  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think that the Times would publish something like this without having confirmed that the author is indeed a "senior administration official", so #4 is out.

My money is on #2, but I'm cheering for #1 because it'd be most politically damaging to Trump.

goobster  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·

The times knows who the author is, and has confirmed it. They chose not to publish the person's name.

KapteinB  ·  139 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's definitely not written by Trump himself, seeing that the essay is coherent and more than 140 letters. #4 would also include anyone in the administration that genuinely care for him. MyBookie has both Ivanka and Jared at +1200.

KapteinB  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: People.... funding the wall

He must think you're Mexican.

KapteinB  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Poe's Law in Plushy Form

I'm still not 100% sure whether this whole thing is just satire or not

I think both? The ad definitely seems to be ridiculing patriots and nationalists, but it's subtle enough that Trump cultists might actually buy it.

you need a better browser

Aren't they all pretty safe these days?

blocking at the router level

What's the advantage of this over using the hosts file on your computer?