a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Hush's comments
Hush  ·  1726 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New to Hubski, and I have two questions straight off the bat:

All right, own up.... Who added that tag? Haha

Hush  ·  1726 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Haiku: Based on your day today --

I'll always remember the haiku I wrote in year 3 (aged ~7):

The Tree.

Swaying in the breeze,
  Waving to all the people,
  Nobody waves back.
Hush  ·  1726 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 8, 2015

another report says he could burst a band fastened around his brow by inhaling air and causing the temple veins to swell.

This is where I'm hoping to get to ;)

Hush  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 8, 2015

My million dollar fitness idea was to start day one reeaall easy: 1 push up, 1 sit up, 1s of plank. Each day, add one.

After a week you're doing 7 push ups, 7 sit ups, 7s plank. A month, 30 of each. After a year, you can do over 300 of each, and more than 6 minutes of plank. That's the idea anyway. I'm on 63 of each right now. I'm not sure how long I can keep going for...

wasoxygen  ·  1726 days ago  ·  link  ·

Something like that worked for Milo of Croton. Any idea which of the three might be the breaking point, and what you'll do after that?

I began doing pushups about two months ago, starting with three sets of 12, much easier than 20 at once. I try to add one each time, about three times a week, and am up to three sets of 25. I am curious to see how far I can go, but might also switch to something that won't take so much time.

Hush  ·  1726 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is where I'm hoping to get to ;)

Hush  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Are Batteries Heavier When They're Full? (with Tom Scott and Robert Llewellyn!)

Interesting, but very short... I'd love to see a more in-depth discussion about this!

---
Killerhurtz  ·  1725 days ago  ·  link  ·

Personally, I'm having a hard time accepting it for several reasons.

First of all, there's the issue of the system. Sure, it's all in good taste to say that a battery is a few fractions of a gram heavier when full - but let's face it, it's pretty much impossible for a battery to lose charge outside of a system (a circuit, or charge degradation by chemical or heat loss). As such, I am 90% certain that there is absolutely no energy loss within a closed system (most circuits are technically open, energy-wise... and even then, technically speaking, the only direct way to lose energy is via the electromagnetic field - induction or light. Because out of an atmosphere, heat is retained, and otherwise very little energy is lost).

For instance, with this car, the only losses there was were technically thermal: by accelerating, they converted electric energy to thermal and kinetic. By braking, they turned that kinetic energy into more heat (and some electricity, as IIRC the Tesla Model S has regenerative braking).

And hell - at a very basic level, let's talk about charge degradation. There's two things that happen, be it ion-based or chemical-based, and one is the result of the other. The main thing that happens, when a battery loses charge, is quite simply what I call 'internal resolution' - the charges balance out or the chemical reacts to become a neutral substance. Sure, it loses charge - but the laws of thermodynamics say that you can't just lose energy. So where does that energy go? Two ways: a major portion of it is transformed from electric energy to chemical energy - almost all of the battery's power could, most likely, be found within the chemical bonds of the workings themselves (or, in case of ion batteries, the sum of the electric charge be found in the electron layers of the atoms).

Second issue I see with the statement is that, mathematically speaking, the mass loss is insignificant - and so the only two reasons why we should even CONSIDER that being a valid event is if dealing with power sources of absurdly high energy density (quick math gives me 90 petajoules of stored energy to gain a kilogram - so assuming a significance of 0.01% and assuming that my math is right, for energy usage to be significant we'd need to be dealing with something akin to 9 terajoules per kilogram of specific energy - which means we would be having a battery with a tenth of the energy density of an uranium breeder reactor, twice the density of a tritium reactor - and that would be about two order of magnitudes better than what non-rechargable lithium batteries are capable of today).

Third issue is applying relativistic mathematics to events and objects that are not even close to having relativistic vectors. It's like making a statement that the Earth's orbit was altered by one centimeter at any point - sure, it MIGHT have happened, but it serves no purpose and given the units of measurements is completely irrelevant.

So sure. It's good food for thought, but completely irrelevant to all modern day applications (and might always be).

---
Hush  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Should Men Be Allowed to have Multiple Wives

I think that freedom of being able to marry who and what you want is important. I think that multiple parties in a consensual agreement should have every right to be in whatever state of relationship that they want.

However, I also think that if a system were put in place where polygamy were freely allowed, many people would be convinced, coerced or forced into being in such a marriage. I believe that some people would enjoy the "power" of "controlling" multiple people, that we could very easily end up with a place where people are subdued into being a secondary wife, and that it could quickly devolve into having a type of polygamous slavery.

PS, the link you linked is about drug users and black men in prison, not polygamy. I'm not sure which you intended....

Kwriter-pro  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·

I fixed the article. I think the government should implement lie detector test to determine if a person is being forced into polygamy.

Hush  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pharrell Mashup (Happy Get Lucky) - Pomplamoose

Haha, slim odds of it choose that moment in the video... but sex sells, right?

This video is brilliantly creative, I love it.

Hush  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New to Hubski, and I have two questions straight off the bat:

Thanks for that link - the primer was exactly what I needed.

Hush  ·  1727 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Welcome to Hubski

I definitely agree with you: very little actual discussion! I much prefer the comment section on Hubski, although I suppose I have only started to scratch the surface of it.