Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

Hey that's excellent - I do think it's getting better and better each year, it's just a new comp and a country still finding it's feet in the 15s game, but now that country's are taking 7s seriously rather than a feeder comp for the 15s game, things are cranking right up!

I spotted the international agreements, that'll help the quality and interest, which will hopefully inspire young guns to take up the sport!

Ahh the drinking team, I've neared that stage now. Once I used to play alongside professionals, future and current All Blacks, Highlanders and Otago players, but I was a halfback in a world of men built like fridges, so after my third bad concussion I stepped away from the highly competitive side of things. My club was Varsity in Dunedin, has the illustrious title of producing the most All Blacks in the country!

I loved the "slap the newbie on the wing" option. Always works, they either stay out of the way and stay safe or they get stuck in and stampede people. I take it you were the latter!

I've been meaning to watch more of the Tier 2 comps but always lacked a team to get behind, reckon Seattle would be a good option?

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

Nice! Good to hear - I've watched a bit of the MLR, looks like it's coming along really nicely in terms of skillset and talent; lots of passion, just quite rough but you entirely expect that at this stage of the competition. Need to sit down and commit some time to it though, here in NZ it's very easy to let other comps fall by the wayside as a player and viewer (took me like.. until this year to watch the 6 Nations properly) as we've got so much going on in our own land.

Where did you play overseas?

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

The MLR was kinda scrappy low-level play its first season, I admit. The first time the Seattle Seawolves ever played together was at the first pro match! But throughout the season, some really great players got some visibility, then got chances to play with the Eagles, and now there is a lot of buzz around the US's national XV and 7s teams. People are talking about the US in the Olympics...!

This season there is a LOT more international involvement. The US and Canada are now both considered "native", so that expands the MLR's player pool to really strong rugby cultures in both Toronto and BC. There are also agreements and player exchanges between the MLR and France, Ireland, Uruguay, Samoa, and other national leagues. So we are going to get MLR players on the field and getting experience from top-level international players, too. That will up everyone's skill and visibility.

Anyway, I played for the Budapest Exiles in Hungary. Since my time (late 1990's) they have become A Thing, and are pretty well known and respected.

When I played there, we were a drinking team with a rugby problem. :-)

I'd never played before, so they put me out at 15, told me not to get in the way, and if I got the ball to run like hell over the top of anyone that got in my way. I did that pretty well, being a 200lb winger.

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

One more week of work - then off for three weeks. Get to visit Christchurch and have Xmas up there with my family, should be able to get up into the Port Hills and take in the Summer sun.

New Years might be spent in this little place called Kanuka Vale - a plot of land in the bush towards Akaroa that's been built up to host a few families; full of hours of tracks! Or I may come home to the city and party up, not too sure what I want to do just now. I'll take a week or two away from the gym and sports, just live and relax for a bit - really looking forward to it.

https://imgur.com/a/v9Xmeyi found some cool flowers too.

I read rugby, I am intrigued. Is that for the expanding MLR competition?

Mongolian metal band sounds rad.

goobster  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah. I'm a supporter of the whole American rugby movement in general, the MLR as a league, the Men's and Women's Eagles (national team), Sevens tournaments, and the Seattle Seawolves team.

I played briefly overseas, and fell for the sport. Now, I love to watch the sport, and love the community that gathers around rugby. Lots of positivity, camaraderie, family-focus, and good sportsmanship is required. Pretty cool group of people.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

Where did you play overseas?

goobster  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

When I played there, we were a drinking team with a rugby problem. :-)

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I just received a letter from Payroll saying they've approved a bonus of $1,100 to be paid to me before Christmas - my boss applied for it in secret after I completed our massvie office shift (along with a 24 beer advent calendar from her!).

I was thinking I'd just chuck it towards paying my car off but your words have me thinking I should do something more with it.

Thanks for that.

Foveaux  ·  13 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Yo, GenZ. You kids doing OK down there?

That was excellent.

Foveaux  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's been a fun 2,163 Days

Sad to see you go, but I hope everything works out - I've always found your posts (both links and comments) interesting, insightful and a big part of why I carry on lurking around here.

Foveaux  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Grubski! Thanksgiving edition! What did you cook? Share here.

I'm curious about the EARTH water.

wasoxygen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

The pure and mineral-rich Dutch EARTH Water is bottled at a small water source named Anl'eau. This resource is located in the protected greenzone named "the Hunzedal" in the province of Drenthe. Anl'eau is named as one of the best water sources of Europe by water specialists. The production site is pumping pure spring water from a depth of approximately 150 meters. This groundwater has fallen as rain in the Middle Ages on "the Hondsrug"; at a time when people did not use harmful substances. After a long journey of approximately 1000 years through the ground, the water has absorbed many minerals. The water therefore is of a very good quality.

I got the bottle with the red label (which turned out to be carbonated), once someone told me that the machine would not take cash. I had a €2 coin, but had to use a credit card, and am pleased to find that I was charged only $2.29, almost exactly matching what Google shows as the exchange rate of €1 = $1.13.

Foveaux  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

I think that's about right - waiting a bit, not actively seeking it out as a hormonal teenager, not allowing yourself to be pressured etc.

Interesting - I haven't encountered that kind of issue when living with people and bringing someone else home. Or if the issue was there, I was entirely oblivious to it. I've been exceedingly lucky with my flatmates over the years.

You paint a scary picture and I don't doubt it's real - I'm just glad it's not happening to me at the moment!

francopoli  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poverty is a hell of a mind fuck. Not recommended.

Absolutely - I just remember thinking (along with my other mates) that it was something you had to get done ASAP. The second time was so much better because I didn't feel any "pressure" to do it, which I think was exacerbating the awkwardness.

Foveaux  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

Ah that's not too bad then. Thin walls are no surprise though. Had to deal with that in my youth too!

Are shared living spaces where people share a bedroom, or just sharing a house? I've seen in movies, American dorms etc where people are sleeping in the same bedroom and that always weirded me out. Having to have times you could be there so someone else could get their freak on just seemed odd.

francopoli  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

The last house I shared with roommates had myself and four other people. The bedroom was just big enough for a bed, desk, dresser and an office chair. We all go along, but that many people in a shared space and you are always tripping over each other and all up in each other's business due to the confines of the house.

Kinda hard to get romantic with a partner of choice when there are four other people watching your every move and judging the new stranger now in the house. People I know have then had the issue where bringing a new person around, even if just a night or two a week changes the dynamic in the living space. If you have a good place and decent roommates, most people will not want to disturb that, especially if rent is outrageous and/or finding a new apartment/room/house is difficult.

I'd lean more onto the 1.7 trillion dollar Student Loan problem combined with the massive out of control housing costs in the areas people want to live in. Add in working long hours/multiple jobs as a consequence and you also explain why people under 30 are not joining professional societies and hobby organizations as much as their parents did. (And not joining and taking part in those activities limits contact with new people, reducing potential romantic partners) Work 70 hours a week and you won't have the energy to do much else.

Foveaux  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

francopoli  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poverty is a hell of a mind fuck. Not recommended.

illu45  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

Usually just shared common areas (kitchen, living room etc.) although the walls between bedrooms aren't usually very thick.

Foveaux  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

In NZ kids seem to be having sex way too young, a different problem and in a different direction that the one you've posted. I first had sex at 14 and it was an uncomfortable, awkward 10 minutes that I regret wholeheartedly, and I'd tell any young person close to me and is in a hurry to "lose their virginity" is that it's sure as hell, not a race.

Tinder and the like ramped things up for me, personally. And I am not, conventionally, a good looking person. Though I do think the emergence of the dating apps has started to affect some people's ability to socialize in person.

That was quite the read though, thanks for sharing it!

illu45  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think that the first time you have sex is likely to be an awkward fumbling affair no matter how old you are.

Foveaux  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

ArtemusBlank  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

I lost my virginity at 22 to a religious girl I met through a craigslist ad and it didn't feel as awkward as I thought it would be. It actually seemed kinda natural. I guess when you lose your virginity when you are older, it just doesn't seem as bad. It also helped that I wasn't looking for it, it just randomly happened.

Foveaux  ·  30 days ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

Still gyming, touch rugby season started and I'm not awful despite the hiatus. Shifting offices and packing up academics is a nightmare.

Watched the election unfold like a fly on the wall.

There's the local Craft Beer Festival this weekend, it's like a highlight of each year and I hope it's yet another awesome experience. The people helping shift our offices asked if I'd be around to oversee the shift if it goes into Saturday - I said "I'd be seven stouts deep by the time they called. Drop the boxes in the offices labelled and we can deal with it on Monday."

They put off the shift by two weeks fluffing around then only turned up on the last day after I had given up trying to get a hold of them, so fuck 'em, I got beer to drink.