Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  3 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tortilla - a song by TNG for his Hubski homies

HA! Nice work. Very endearing.

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown

Unfortunately no, I'm in the centre of town and so they don't do recycling pick-up - they do in the suburbs though. Thankfully there's a station about 400m down the road so I just cart everything down there once a week!

johnnyFive  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

That's not bad then. Still, I'm surprised, as I feel like that's something big cities do here too (although I've never lived in one, so can't confirm that).

I'm a big fan of our Maori words - some are just so delightful to get out.

Aotearoa - the Maori word for the land known as New Zealand, translates to "The Land of the Long White Cloud". I'd be happy if we changed our country name to that, if only so we aren't so far down the line in the Olympic procession.

Turangawaewae - a place where you feel connected

Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi - not a word but the name of a rugby player in New Zealand. Just absolutely fantastic to say and also to hear the commentators wrap their heads around it.

Also, Refugee's suggestion, Ameliorate is one of my faves. Cathartic. Incandescent.

Edit: I thought of another - Whakatane. A town in the North Island - phonetically it's "Fuck-ah-tah-ney".

thenewgreen  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Cathartic is... well, cathartic.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Huge reduction in meat-eating ‘essential’ to avoid climate breakdown

We've cut down on the meat too. I'll make one beef meal a week as well, usually lasts two nights so that's all good - but I've made some more vegetarian dishes as a result of cutting it back, which is always nice. Increasing my skill in the kitchen and reducing the beef consumption.

It's impressive how quickly those changes can become normal; we use reusable bags for groceries, recycle everything we can at the local recycling unit down the road, eating less meat, I walk to work now and my car only gets used when I'm heading out of town.

johnnyFive  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

We've been on a mostly-poultry diet for years, with some pork. Red meat of any kind is a few-times-a-year thing. I'd do more fish but my wife doesn't like it :/ Meanwhile, I'm yet to find a vegetarian meal that doesn't cause a blood sugar crash a couple hours later.

Do they not do pick-up recycling where you are? We have a trashcan-sized bin that we wheel to the curb every two weeks.

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

johnnyFive  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Murphy was the Red Wings' No. 1 pick. Then he became homeless.

That was... unnerving.

Reminds me of this:

Concussion in Rugby is finally being focused on - laws are being altered to crack down on head contact as much as possible. It's forced people to reinvent their defensive structures and overall style, but I hope it leads to something positive.

I've had three concussions, I think. Three that forced me from the field at any rate. Broken ankle, wrist and nose; countless scars on my back from when aggressive rucking was allowed. But the head knocks man, fuck that scares me now. One is too many, what am I going to be like when I'm 60?

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 10, 2018

It was wonderful - slowly downing a cider and just listening to the waves. I'm torn between more people enjoying it, and having it all to myself. It's about a 20 minute drive away from the city and there are three main beaches within the actual city itself so, for now, I'll enjoy the seclusion and the occasional seal a while longer.

I think my fave beach in this part of the world is Purakaunui Bay.

We used to spend New Years there - haven't been back in years but my partner has never been this far south on the Island so a trip could be on the cards.

I'll make it to Moeraki some day.

Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 10, 2018

So after my workplaces massive restructure (3 years in the making, 200+ jobs cut) - I went from being under a cloud of a) being cut or b) being kicked down to a lower pay grade for the same job or c) being shifted to an entirely new place and role, while also being kicked down to a lower pay grade; to being told I'm a) now permament, b) keeping my pay grade, c) staying where I am and d) they're taking annoying tasks from my job description. This worked out so much better than I thought it would. I'm a little suspicious of how well it's turning out for me...

Went to a secluded beach out of town now that Spring has arrived and the water isn't bloody freezing.

Those two people in the distance were the only other people there at the time.

In gym news, hit a new PB for bench - 125kg. I'm a little annoyed becuase it didn't feel that heavy, I just set up very poorly and the lift went to shit. I have a sneaking suspicion I can do more but will give it another week before stressing myself that much again, it was close enough to a maximal effort that I wasn't going to try it again that same day.

I am jealous of the beach.

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think my fave beach in this part of the world is Purakaunui Bay.

I'll make it to Moeraki some day.

Foveaux  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Recovering Emotions After 24 Years on Antidepressants

It took one and a half years to get a doctor appointment.

Holy shit.

My doctor told me after the second time that I would have to take them for the rest of my life. I believed him.

I'm really glad my Dr and therapist both held the opinion that my antidepressants were to be a short-term thing. I was on them for a year, end of 2014, to the end of 2015; got the symptoms Cathy describes (dry mouth, deepening depression and sexual dysfunction were the most noticeable ones) along with these head "zaps" when I was coming off them. I know it sounds hyperbolic but I swear the world became more colourful after coming off them properly. Everything seemed to "pop" with colour.

Meditation helped me a shitload too - when I have inevitable attacks I can ride them out in a much healthier fashion than ever before.

That's a click I was happy to make.

Foveaux  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 3, 2018

There are people with fantastic parents, right? With great memories of childhood they look back on fondly as adults?

My parents are great. I got a solid bit of perspective on this when my mother came through to town to give a "case-study" to the new batch of medical students at the local University. She's been doing this for about a decade or more but this is the only time I've been able to come along to see it, as I now work for the Medical School here.

It was an hour of her explaining the issues of raising a child with severe hemophilia (my older brother) - the likelihood of his early death, the terrifying bruising from everday interactions, people seeing the bruising and assuming my parents were beating him, my brother being so accustomed to pain that any new experience had to be braced for (getting his first proper haircut he had to ask first how much pain there would be). She recounted having his treatment filling up the boot of the car, so any family trips would have to be short-lived and always within range of a decent hospital. We shifted towns because the local school wouldn't accept any of us kids there, due to my brother having had blood transfusions and rural NZ assumed that meant he had AIDS - which also meant we all had AIDS. They just kept trucking on. The purpose of the lecture is for the students to hear from someone who isn't medically trained but is extremely knowledgable in one specific facet of medicine (in this case bleeding disorders), to understand what the patient may be going through and what the patient may actually know about their condition that the Dr may overlook.

My mother in particular is something special. She helped my father through his depressive episodes when he was younger, she helped me through mine that started in 2014, she raised a child with severe hemophilia who went on to develop and then kick an opioid addiction, she's helping my sister (who is now a single mum) raise her 2yr old son. She takes in exchange students and works two different jobs, she lost 35kg one time through diet and exercise, only to have a stroke weeks after her mother passed away. She recovered from it all and bounces back happier than ever.

I'm not even doing it justice, just rambling through some of what she's had to do for our family. Her and dad are brilliant and I'm not skimping on the Christmas pressies this year, that's for sure.

Foveaux  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Someone tell me fake nerdrage isn't really going to be a thing

We've got a cutout of that giant blue hand in our lounge. My partner bought it and left it in my room at night to scare me.

Foveaux  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Husbki, any fitness goals you're striving towards?

Shit that's nearly 50km wtf, that'd take you to the next town over - nice work!

OftenBen  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks!

35 km today.

Foveaux  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Jordan Peterson is a weak-willed snowflake that cannot take criticism

My once good friend and now acquaintance has spent a fair bit of time trying to get me to read Peterson's 12 step book. He lives by Peterson's word and absolutely defends his stance in these legal proceedings.

It sucks to see someone who I know is intelligent, throw it away like this.

Oh, and remember, that some of Peterson's rise to fame was his claim to be taking a principled stand against compelled speech by arguing that a Canadian law would have compelled him to use specific pronouns in addressing people that he felt was a violation of his speech rights.

Is pretty much what I brought up in our most recent.. catch-up (saw him at the gym and he launched into a debate). Apparently they're different situations.

Nepotist  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
Nepotist  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

The lawsuits make him seem like a hypocrite, but they don't invalidate the point: that the idea of criminalizing the refusal to use someone's preferred pronouns is ridiculous.

coffeesp00ns  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, he's still a hypocrite because you literally cannot use the laws as written to do what he says that you can. If you refuse to use someone's preferred pronouns, you're not a criminal, you're just a literal piece of human trash.

However, if you are in a position of power, such as a teacher, and you refuse to use that person's pronouns after having been corrected by the student, You not just a piece of human trash, you're also being discriminatory towards a transgender person and making them unsafe, which under Ontario law and Canadian Federal law, is likely to be a crime. That's never been tested, and there's never been a court case, so we don't know full legal arguments for both sides, but I don't think that the teacher in that situation would have a leg to stand on, legally, especially considering "free speech" as it is defined in the public conscience, is not actually protected as such in Canada. You can't just say whatever you want here.

Nepotist  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

> No, he's still a hypocrite because you literally cannot use the laws as written to do what he says that you can.

>However, if you are in a position of power, such as a teacher, and you refuse to use that person's pronouns after having been corrected by the student

How is that not affirming that his objections to the bill were in fact justified? The original objection was how they compelled the use of pronouns that the user did not agree with. He is a teacher (or was; I'm sure he's made enough money by now to where he can probably retire), so for him this was a valid concern. Or would you honestly tell me that you don't see how someone could be concerned with the prospect of being made into a criminal if a Danielle Muscato type of person came into the room and you didn't refer to them as 'she'?

coffeesp00ns  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·

The situation with non-passing trans people has gotten so toxic that cisgender women that don't "fit" into societal norms of what a woman should look like are now getting misgendered more often. My bass teacher for my masters degree is one such woman who has to deal with this.

Nepotist  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

>no, you misunderstand. What I'm saying is that the bill he's talking about is not the bill he'd be un trouble because of. He'd be in trouble because he's endangering his student's safety and discriminating against them on the basis of gender identity. It's not a "free speech" thing, it's a "endangering the life of a minority" thing.

He's endangering his student's safety by refusing to use their preferred pronouns? No, he isn't. No one is being put in danger by being referred to as she when they identify as he. Please explain your logic behind the assertion that someone's life is being endangered when someone else refuses to use their preferred pronouns

> And regarding non-passing trans people like Muscato, you just use your best guess first (which if you're not sure of someone's gender, should be "they/them" for simplicity's sake), and then if you're corrected, use the corrected pronoun. Real fucking simple.

I brought up Muscato because Muscato, in addition to not passing, believes that some women have penises, and that "If you're bothered by this, you can suck my dick.". I can't link the tweet because apparently I'm supposed to be a "new user" now, but just search "muscato suck my dick" to find the tweet.

Do you honestly not see why some people have issues with people like this? If Muscato had taken one of Peterson's classes, do you not see how Peterson, or many other teachers, would have an issue with someone like that wanting to be referred to as "she"? How is Muscato's life being put in danger by someone refusing to refer to him as "she"?

oyster  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nobody is saying you just need to know as soon as somebody walks in. The point is that teachers and doctors need to be inclusive and that means being respectful enough to at least make an effort once somebody has made it clear to you. I’ve used the wrong pronouns before which was followed by an Ah fuck since I knew it slipped out. Nobody will make me a criminal for that no matter my profession. Nobody has a problem with honest effort to be better.

His argument is basically that he wants to be an asshole and treat some of his students like shit. Being afraid that you can’t be an asshole does not warrant sympathy. At least not in Canada. I know in America they’ve got that whole “die”(I’m soooo sure) for everybodies right to be an asshole but we’re not super into that up here, never really have been.

Doing pretty well at the moment really - much the same would be very nice. Maybe I'll have built a house by then, been to a country that isn't a Pacific neighbour.

Foveaux  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 297th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread