a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v0.25 - December 10, 2019 (WIP)

Man I swore I took photos of the PC. All I have is this the boxes, the CPU fan being put in and the finished product but it's got a tempered glass side so it's all reflective.

Anyway, Started with all of these - https://imgur.com/a/aXstYW1

All but the SX-700 worked. In my haste to buy these things, I didn't notice it was intended for a much smaller case and the power supply cables simply didn't reach. This can be altered but not quickly (at least not quickly by me), so my friend who helped me pick out the parts gave me his spare Power Supply as he felt guilty for not checking that one link and approving of all the others.

Mostly installed into the motherboard - https://imgur.com/a/qg9xu2s

I can't get these photos to embed properly for some reason, I'm doing something wrong but hopefully nobody minds having to click the links to see. Here I've installed the RAM, the CPU and it's cooler (big ass fan centre stage) and the ssd up near the top. Installing the motherboard was surprisingly easy but I was very nervous handling it all together with my clumsy rugby hands.

Here it is just sitting there doing nothing - https://imgur.com/a/0NvV3Aj

Poor quality, I was taking these very sporadically. I'll get a better one of all the lights when it powers up tonight.

But yeah, that's all done! On to the garden next - our peas need stakes, they're getting too tall.

Dala  ·  7 hours ago  ·  link  ·

sitting there doing nothing

and looking beautiful. I have always wanted to build my own computer. Well, maybe not always. I'm not young enough for that to have really been a thing, but for quite some time I have. But I am terrified that I would spend a lot of time and money playing with the thing and then it wouldn't work. Now I think I have moved past that desire because I pretty much never use my PC that doesn't move.

Foveaux  ·  22 hours ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 11, 2019

We got a cat! Long story short; our ex-flatmates who have recently bought a house, found the previous owners cat lurking around. He was extremely friendly but extremely determined to get into, what he understands as, his house. The new owners have a cat named Lily who is both tiny and entirely unaware of how tiny she is, leading to a lot of lost fights.

So, they called the previous owners for an idea of what to do - we now think they might be going through some bad times as neither of them replied as a unit, only offering their own opinion. The wife wants to put him down, the husband wanted to find a home but couldn't under short notice so left the cat with the neighbour (hence why the cat keeps returning home, it's very close).

Learning that he might be put down if he's not allowed to terrorize Lily, my ex-flatties rang me up and asked if we'd like to meet/take him away.

We went to meet him on Tuesday night, he was very affectionate and purring loudly. The previous owners said we could take him if we wanted, and gave us his vet history etc. So we bundled him into a crate and took him back to ours. He's got a sweet pad, little cat house with fluffy blanket, scratching post we bought this week anticipating a cat, an enclosed litter box for while he's adjusting to the house, some toys and treats etc.

As soon as we got him home we took him into the lounge as it's the best place to keep him in for now. Opened the crate and he shot under a couch, where he's been ever since.

This morning he ventured out! He's used the litter box un-prompted, eaten the food we left and drank the water, as well as munched the treats we left by the couch opening so he didn't have to move far. We coaxed him out and he was rubbing his face on everything and purring away. About 30 minutes of that and we had to get ready for work so he slinked back under the couch when we left him alone, hopefully that's a first sign he's getting adjusted though, only on our second day so need to be patient.

I tried taking a photo but he moves so damn fast so it's blurry and shite, but it'll do until he can sit still and pose.

Meet the currently unnamed cat (previous name was Elvis but he doesn't seem to answer to that anyway).

applewood  ·  14 hours ago  ·  link  ·

That's a handsome cat.

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How I Get By: A Week in the Life of a McDonald’s Cashier

I agree with what you're saying in regards to competition, certainly don't think you're bootstrapping! But surely that many years in the industry you work your way up the chain to some degree - she apparently left the role initially as she was promoted but not given the pay rise she was promised. So she was doing the right thing and getting shafted regardless - the poor thing.

It's just the wages combined with the lack of healthcare and how she works herself off her feet just to keep the lights on. I really can't imagine that life and it's so unsettling knowing people are forced to live like that. If I don't get a payrise in a certain amount of time, I just leave for another role - but that doesn't sound like something she can do in her situation. She's spent years in the industry but wasn't given any training or progression plan to help her in the future.

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

The issue is that you're not so much talking about a corporate ladder as a corporate stepstool. You go from fry cook to front register to maybe assistant manager and then that needs to be parlayed into something better somewhere else.

We're talking about a person who has worked entry-level jobs for fourteen years. Which sucks. No doubt. Steve's argument - which I agree with - is that there needs to be a compassionate plan for people who are never going to rise above entry-level. I mean, yeah - she didn't get promoted to assistant manager in 2015 but that was 10 years into her food service career. For all we know, the past four years she's been the Maitre'd at Spago (but probably not). You're right - it's unsettling knowing people are forced to live like that and there are lots of them, and there are plenty who are doing worse, and we need to do something about it.

$7 an hour? What. The. Fuck. She's been in the industry for 14 years and she gets paid that!

And paying full for her diabetic medicine. Also what the fuck.

What a depressing read. Fuck I'm sad. And angry!

steve  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't read the article yet (but plan to). I don't think there is a reasonable expectation that fast food wages would go up with tenure. That is an entry level job, designed around a part-time workforce. There's an entire other conversation we could/should have around what a living wage is... but honestly - she's competing for that job with High School kids who live at home, are covered by their parents' health insurance, and eat their parents' food.

And please don't mistake my point as some right wing "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" ideology. I have tremendous sympathy for this person's situation (just from the snippet I've read).

nil  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

So the progression through the fast food industry typically goes like this:

1) Customer Service:

- Minimum wage, part-time to full-time hours. No health insurance, no benefits. You're here if you're in high school, because a lot of places won't promote you to management until you're 18+ or decided you're done with school. I've generally seen people who've held such jobs before or are adults be fast-tracked to

2) Assistant Manager:

- $1-2 over minimum wage, part-time to full-time hours. Sometimes health insurance, benefits, and (tiny) bonus if you work full-time, but usually not. Still can be flexible but you're usually opening/closing always, none of that work for 3 hours BS. Can sort of do this and attend post-secondary.

3) General Manager:

- mandatory full-time, sometimes on salary, profit sharing. These people can make actually decent money in some places if you're lucky. But it takes effort. And a large part of this money comes from profit sharing. Your actual salary is still bad, but you can rake in this part. I've seen this person make $40k-$70k a year depending on location.

4) Corporate/Franchise:

- congratulations, you now own a store and have certified FBGM conditions. This is also likely your career.

So basically she's largely stuck at 1. She won't escape her trap until she gets to 3, but then she'll be on a full-time salary and more committed. When I was a youth and trying to figure out why I needed to wait 18 years to have basic human rights, I thought I wasn't getting promoted because of "office politics", "dropouts", yada yada. Truth be told, it's just a grind. Hard fucking work. That's the most important value, really.

Not gonna lay that on her though because she's been through enough for 2 lifetimes. Nor do I have a serious medical condition with no insurance.

Foveaux  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Welcome to Capitalism

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Eat For 10 Hours. Fast For 14. This Daily Habit Prompts Weight Loss, Study Finds

I'm forever thankful I can alter my weight quite comfortably. Drop 5kg for Summer? Sweet as. Gain 7kg over Winter for some strength building? Awesome. I don't need to go the fasting route but I'm glad it's an option for those who need this style.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What was the best album of 2019

Fuck that was an experience just now.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New Zealand volcano: 'No sign of life' after White Island eruption

It seems like anyone they didn't rescue initially is now presumed dead. Personally I'm not entirely sure why we allowed people to visit Whakaari, it's known to be rather active, as they go. The tour guide companies get permits to take tourists there and they do so throughout varying levels of "volcanic activity" with a solid success rate. Though while you can't predict it, it just always seemed odd to take people to a spot we knew could blow.

A really shit situation all round.

I just read a list of those deemed missing, it looks like it might be members of three families. Triple shit.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v0.0 - December 3, 2019 (WIP)

This is a good question.. I really don't know. I've installed Steam and I have 306 games in my account. But a bunch of my friends are playing Wow: Classic at the moment. I don't know if I have the time free to really be useful in that game, I've dabbled before but sports/life always cropped up and I'd get left behind by those more dedicated.

First thing I did though, was load up Minecraft and set the draw distance to max. Never had anything that could do that - It's the little things.

My good friend sent me "Do you Shower with your Dad Simulator" as a 'gift' on Steam, might have to buy him this as revenge.

Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v0.0 - December 3, 2019 (WIP)

Update: I built the PC in two sittings over the weekend. She purred to life on Sunday and so far is working very nicely! Photos to come.

kingmudsy  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Nice! What have you been breaking it in with?

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

5 years ago I was diagnosed with severe anxiety - through medication (no longer required) therapy (only as needed) and a lot of support, I now make it through weeks and months without being overly anxious. Certain things crop up and I sometimes have a small relapse but usually I would be considered a normal functioning person who frets a lot more than necessary.

Last week, after moving in with my partner and doing most of the work myself as she is recovering from shingles, losing my grandfather and speaking at his funeral, cancelling a big trip we had planned for a year, losing a good friends father, going through three different faulty washing machines in the new house - just a whole assortment of shit things that on their own, I could handle but together would have me stressed to the nines.. I was ready for the wave of anxiety to hit. On top of my actual stressful job!

But it hasn't. I was walking to work via my new commute (through the local botanical gardens), the sun was shining, I was listening to some music and I felt absolutely normal. There was nothing gnawing at me, nothing worrying me, I walked past people and didn't worry if I looked strange or if my headphones were blaring music too loudly, or if my fly was undone, or any number of things I suddenly stress about - I was just enjoying a walk to my office.

It was a really normal walk from the outside but inside my mind was very, very comfortable for the first time in literal years. It was actually a strange feeling. I'm so used to just handling this intense flow of thoughts and emotions, and I'd gotten pretty good at it, that the mundane notion of having nothing in my mind was actually such a lovely feeling.

That weekend I took my nephew for a walk through the same commute - https://imgur.com/a/wBecqAf

Foveaux  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Uber’s new loan program could trap drivers in cycles of crushing debt

Reading this in the stereotypical NZ accent is just so spot-on.

nil  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

That was the third last driver. Last one didn't talk. Joe Rogan did.

We finally got Uber last year, have never used it personally though.

This sounds very dangerous for many people who could be caught out.

Foveaux  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 4, 2019

Appreciate the kind words.

I agree too - I intend to do things that my grandfather would be proud of. Taking good care of the gardens, inheriting his piano so practicing more often.

A part of me is sort of waiting for everything to hit. I feel like I've been coasting through but maybe I'm actually handling it well. This might be what being adjusted feels like to me!

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 4, 2019

I like Kinosakionsen!

I like them all, but that stuck out the most. Great job!