a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 15, 2020

My whisky collection is growing, NZ Govt considers alcohol delivery an essential if it can be contact-less.

My parents had their 35th wedding anniversary last week so we had a ZOOM meeting with the family to raise a glass to them - was a bit odd but very nice to do.

Work has all but ceased, I've volunteered to help other departments cause I'm bored as shit.

Finished the Final Fantasy 7 Remake over Easter, 36 hours and I didn't do much outside of story based things so eventually I'll go back to properly flesh it out, but I fucking loved what I got from it all the same.

Our Govt is looking at easing restrictions, but only slightly, after we hit our four week lockdown period next Thursday. I might even be able to go back to the office! 9 deaths is 9 too many for any time, but it's a tiny number compared to what it could have been. Proud of my fellow Kiwis for putting in all the hard work needed.

Holy shit I miss the gym.

NINE?

I'm three exits from a building with four times that many, two of which were friends of a friend.

Foveaux  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ye 9, none more confirmed today during the daily 1pm address thankfully.

We expect some more as there is a cluster or two at retirement homes, but I'm increasingly thankful our Govt acted quickly and made the most of the info and time they had on hand.

It's not going to be great, but fuck it could have been so much worse.

Foveaux  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 11, 2020

My parents visited with my 3 year old nephew over the weekend - mum got a cute photo of he and I jamming on the piano. His curly hair is the best - before I lost mine to the great Male Pattern Baldness War of 4 years ago, mine was the same. `

A friend is coming round this weekend bearing all kinds of whisky for me to taste - he went to this big festival last week and brought some goodies back, intent on getting me into the world of whisky. Time will tell if it suits but I'll hardly turn down the attempt! Once everything has been tasted we'll turn to the tradition of 1v1 Quickscopes on CoD, 1 sip for 1 death, 2 if it's a particularly humorous death. I'm nearly 30 so this will surely haunt me on Sunday.

Also the Final Fantasy 7 Remake has me all kinds of excited. The music of the opening in the demo genuinely brought a tear to my eye. My brother and I would play that game end to end while he was in hospital/home with whatever new injury he had. Now we're all grown up with careers and lives, and this game brings us straight back down nostalgia alley.

I work for a University and we're planning the "what-ifs" for if COVID-19 hits us properly. Most of our Department is actually setup already as we have a large cohort of distance students (some as far away as the UK) so it only takes some tweaking of the undergrad papers to get them up to speed. I'm yet to be allowed to trial working from home but having done it before I know it's possible. Students and staff are about the same as usual, not many people outwardly panicking. But we've only had 5 cases so far, early days yet.

Foveaux  ·  111 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Last week we had a public holiday, Waitangi Day, so I took some further days off and had a nice 4 day weekend. I went to Christchurch to visit my brother and my partner's parents. Was such a lovely trip! My brother likes his hiking and long distance running, so he dragged me up into the Port Hills where I took this shot

The body of water is near Lyttleton harbour, on the other side of the Hills we climbed up. The city is well off to the left down the hills once more. The harbour exits into the Pacific.

We went to the latest installments of the Art Gallery

I found this tree! I used to play in this tree when I was a child growing up in this city. I remember the feel of the bark and the safe surroundings very well. A wonderful bit of nostalgia during my trip.

Now this is new. This is the Riverside Market, it opened up at the end of last year, in the main area where the city was demolished by the Earthquakes. We arrived at about 10am and it was dead quiet, but that photo was taken just after lunch and it was humming full of people. The Market was primarily indoors and hosted at least 50 different shops and eateries. Absolutely mindblowing to find it here! We had crepes in the morning, ramen for lunch on the tables in front, then went upstairs and had a few beers from the local brewery under one of those red umbrellas.

We visited the memorial erected for those lost in the earthquakes

It was really tastefully done, I felt. A simple wall just sitting by the lazy Avon river, people having lunch in it's shadow, or visiting the names of those they lost.

Just another photo - this is directly outside the City Council building. I've always admired the energy put out by the Maori carving work.

Afterwards we headed back to her parent's place and by night time her father had his telescope out and we had a look at the moon in startling clarity. Could make out the scars and craters all over.

I've become a 12 year old again and have been having an absolute blast playing Modern Warfare. I thought I was too old and crusty to be any good but my old friends who felt the same banded together and clean house most matches. Infected is a wonderful game mode - for the uninitiated, Infected is where all players started with the same equipment; a count down begins giving you time to run and hide or barricade yourself in somewhere. Once the countdown ends, a randomly chosen player switches sides and becomes the infected player, armed with a knife and greater movement speed - tasked with turning every other member over to their side. It quickly becomes an absolute mess as you find your team mates whittled down and switched over, suddenly you're holed up in a dingy building as these madmen clamber over your walls and claymores to end you. Or you hide in a bush and pray they don't get close enough to see your nametag.

Anyway I've been having fun. Hope you're all safe and sound.

Foveaux  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It Was a Good Run

When the cuts come, they won’t come for the administration or the diversity staff. Academic programs will be the first to go, which raises some interesting questions about what the purpose of a university is.

Interestingly, I work at a University and we have just finished phase 1 of the dreaded "restructure" in our division (Health Sciences). All they've done so far is cull about 180+ administrative/non-academic jobs and reshape those remaining so they get paid less. Hilariously, we're now woefully understaffed, performing poorly and morale is at an all-time low.

Apparently the Academic roles are next in the firing line but they will have so much more negotiating power so I anticipate them being better off than us. Having said that, the division I'm in is the gem of the University and the Arts/Humanities programmes are slowly being destroyed so my experience might be odd the exception to the articles prediction.

And as I recall, aren't you in NZ?

Foveaux  ·  149 days ago  ·  link  ·

Indeed! I am seeing the same things unfold here though. Massive hike in numbers during an economic downturn etc. So found it interesting reading nonetheless.

What does tuition look like over there? Just curious. I know much of Europe is subsidized to various degrees but I"m pretty well out of my depth when it comes to international higher ed.

Foveaux  ·  148 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm so I guess it depends on what you're studying - when I was at Uni 2008-2011 that cost me about 35k, standard 4 year BA. Definitely less than 10k a year.

However, say you wanted to get your MBChB, a 6 year course in 2020 you'd be set back a little over 90k by the end. Though that's for a domestic student, an international student doing the same course would be paying 70-80k a year for most of the 6 years.

The domestic student prices listed are the subsidized versions of it, but I couldn't tell you what the true number is. I know a majority of the Universities get about 30% of their funding straight from the Government but they will allocate that as they see fit/according to their programmes.

Foveaux  ·  230 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: October 16, 2019

So in February next year it'll be two years with this weird, balance issue. Dr said she'd arrange for a CT scan if things get worse before them or come February on the two year mark.

Am a little nervous to find out what's going on, I'm 95% sure it's PPPD (Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness) and related directly to my anxiety, but the other 5% (of which anxiety likes to build a mountain from) has me worried it's something sinister. Dr has assured me, if it was sinister, it wouldn't show symptoms that never progress for two years straight - the ENT I saw said the exact same thing, and every test they've done (plus the ones with the Physio School) have suggested I actually have zero balance issues and this is my own brain fighting me.

That 5% though, yo.

Relearning the piano in my spare time - I did some kind of grading when I was much younger but I truly cannot remember any of it outside of muscle memory for small ditties. So am going back to basics and learning to read it again, hoping it comes back nicely.

Also, planning for my Japan trip - my boss reminded me to check on my passport, I haven't flown in years, absolute years. Guess when my passport expired?

April. 2015.

Applied to have it renewed and haven't heard anything back outside of a confirmation that it was received so that's a good sign. Should get it before the end of the month with my now shaved head as the photo.

My plants are sprouting!!! Or they're weeds. Time will tell.