a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

Kia ora kotou katoa Hubski!

With Reddit frothing on both sides of the fence whenever New Zealand gets mentioned on the site, I have backed away a bit from the internet and just focused on things I can control. I still browse Hubski but I very rarely have anything relevant to say, so lurking is the style for me. But as of 1pm today we have 1 active case remaining in the country which is pretty sweet.

I started a hefty whisky collection while in lockdown. Alongside some basic spirits so I could make some nice drinks for my partner and I after a hard day of doing my civic duty, by doing sweet fuck all. I am about to launch into the Highland side of things, so wish me luck.

Recorded a lot (hours and hours) of videogame footage with my friends, am now making some fun videos with them which I've found really entertaining. Currently working on videos of our exploits in Sea of Thieves.

With the gym reopening, I got to experience what 8 weeks away will do - a shitload of DOMS. Some mild strength loss, but less than I expected thanks to the bodyweight routines while at home.

Hope you're doing okay, nga mihi nui

With the gym reopening, I got to experience what 8 weeks away will do

now try it while recovering from COVID

My ass is getting kicked by yoga

Foveaux  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know, I had made peace with the idea that I'd likely become infected - hoping that my youthful immune system and a good dollop of luck might mitigate some damage.

Turns out I only even knew of a few people catching it. I'll take some strength loss and week long DOMS over your experience.

Foveaux  ·  72 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Now that we're all working from home...what does your setup look like?

My partner is using my PC and monitors as she needs two screens more than I need them, as handy as they are for me. So my work station is currently this via laptop.

Could be worse!

Foveaux  ·  78 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 18, 2020

So amidst this panic, my friend came round over the weekend with 10 different samples of whisky. We started with Famous Grouse and I hated it, barely finished my serving. On to Talisker, Mortlach, Monkey Shoulder, Islay Mist and Ardbeg. All of which I thoroughly enjoyed, particularly the Islay Mist and Ardbeg. We never got round to the Laphroaig but I hear good things, especially around pronouncing it after a few drinks.

I enjoyed it enough that I went out and bought myself a bottle of Islay Mist - it doubled as an anniversary present - 3 years with my lady as of St Patricks Day. She was trying the whisky's as well and her tastes mirrored mine.

Rugby has been cancelled for the foreseeable future, both club and professional setups. If my gym closes I'll be buying some dumbbells and doing whatever I can to maintain strength.

We've hit 20 known cases in New Zealand, and it's kind of endearing in a small-town way, that we can very accurately track the cases. One of our PhD students has a sister in London who has had the virus and is recovering so that was some interesting information to hear from said student.

I'm ready to work from home but the Ministry of Education is being quite steadfast in not letting University staff leave at the moment. They want us to have a face for the students and from the meeting I was in yesterday, one of their massive concerns alongside financial loss is the public losing faith in the institution. Either way, lemme do my job from home it'll be fine I promise - no whisky till like 5pm. OK 4pm.

Our PM has issued some strong thoughts on tourists arriving with no plans to self-isolate - could be looking at straight up deportation.

In non-COVID-19 news, abortion is set to officially be legal in New Zealand, finally.

thenewgreen  ·  77 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was in Scotland last year and had a lot of difference scotches. I really liked Talisker “Storm.” Laphraoig used to be a favorite. I used to drink their 15 with cW and watch Twin peaks. Ah, the good ole days.

Stay safe!

Foveaux  ·  92 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 4, 2020

New Zealand has three coronavirus cases, no lemon or lime.

Work has picked back up finally and all the students have come back to the city. On one hand it's great to see life breathed into the place, on the other hand by god do they make a mess. I walk down probably the most infamous street in New Zealand each morning, during the day it's calm but at night...

This was taken in 2009, I was in there... Somewhere.. as a fresh faced 18 year old. Things have carried on much the same every year. February hits, students flock back and Castle Street gets absolutely dealt to.

In other news, I attended the first meeting of the Craft Beer Club a few friends have created. Everyone was issued a style to bring, I was on "stouts". It was actually rather fun, everyone went really hard on getting things that were unique and a bit odd. Along with my stouts, I threw in a pickle flavoured beer to see if anyone would even try it and I nearly got kicked out of the group. The blueberry stout saved me and I live to drink another day.

Foveaux  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy wack

I was born in a town of about 3000 people, and lived in a township of (I think) 125 out in rural South Otago. All through my teenage years we did the usual rural stuff - lighting stuff on fire, drinking and smoking, having sex at 14, hooning around the farms in paddock-bashers. Regular fucking idiots.

Then the end of high school came and half of our school year (30 people) went to Universities around the country. I went up the road no more than an hour yet I was fuckin' dead to everyone back home. I'd known them pretty much my entire life and we'd formed countless memories together but going back in the first mid-year break? Going to the pub was an ordeal because they wouldn't talk to me. I'd left the farming area and now I was a townie. Like suddenly I had forgotten how to shear a sheep and order the farm dogs.

They came around eventually, but there was some kind of betrayal they appeared to have felt in regards to people leaving their little nest. I'm on good terms with most people once more, but it took an effort to prove I wasn't a "townie" or more accurately, to prove that being a "townie" isn't a bad thing. Better weed, more things to do - just don't bring up the country vs town rugby 'rivarly' (if you can call country losing for the past 80 years a rivalry) and you're fine. One friend turns 31 this year, lives with his parents and refuses to get his license or a job. I'm not quite giving up on him, but boy we've run out of ideas.

Anyway I echo your thoughts, seeing how everyone reacted to me leaving reinforced my decision to do so. I was glad I left, I became a much more well-rounded person (eventually). I wouldn't give up the memories I made for anything, but I'm making new ones now and they're just as important.But man, 23! I went from being 21, drinking absinthe and racing down an icy street on a fridge door, to being 29 living with my partner and cat with our weekends spent gardening, watching movies or going to the beach. But I wanted this softer life after all the havoc I caused. I'm not peaked yet and I don't see that happening till my late 30s or early 40s if that.

You've not even come close to peaking!

nil  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·

Say word.

I used to say I did something that could have gotten me arrested on a daily basis and something that could have gotten me killed on a weekly basis. But even then it was mostly constructive rebellion. There was an all-pervasive angst growing up but most of it came from a feeling of powerlessness. I had no idea how easy it would have been to actually get out. Hard but easy, because everyone around you talks about it like it's the dragon of chaos or some shit.

I had a 22 y/o brother that lived with me and tried to make my life a living hell. Cuz I was like 15 and accidentally had a marijuana reefer bong toke or something. Who gives a rip? I was the most educated in my family but clearly the most resented.

Playing music, trying to raise money for x and y cause. My drugs of choice were a lot of psychedelics and weed. So there wasn't a penchant for violence I guess. Fridge racing sounds funny af. Other people had it pretty rough though. We used to drive around the mall screaming dolphin noises at pedestrians.

Could be a genuine mental health thing. Some downward cycle shit. Have the parents tried any tough love? Prozac? Maybe even Ritalin (but that's risky). My parents wouldn't let me fail. I used to think getting a job was hard - let me tell you kids - when you haven't eaten all day and you're sliding into some girl's DM's just because they might have sway on a hiring manager and you know if you don't come out with six fiddy by the end of the month you'll be freezing to death or giving your former boss "favours" ya tend to figure it out pretty quick. Also living with your parents can wreck your self-esteem because you're denied fundamental political rights.

Aaahh the service industry. That's what I call L-I-V-I-N. Seriously though, thanks for the moral support. Claiming my constitutional rights has been the greatest thrill of my adult life and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Foveaux  ·  100 days ago  ·  link  ·

I grew up resenting my brother a bit as he was taller, clever and charismatic - but most importantly he has hemophilia and thus was treated very delicately by my parents. Conversely, being treated differently made him very angsty as a teenager so coupled with him being my older brother, and the constant pain of his body being unable to function (coupled with what we now know was an opioid addiction) he was very difficult at times. Me being a young idiot, I just saw him being a dick and I was so caught up in my own life I didn't understand how painful his was. I guess what I'm saying is, I thought I had a shit brother making my life hell, but I didn't - so I can only sympathize!

Since those years though, we've become adults and much closer as brothers. So much has happened since, it'd be silly to try and put it all in here but he's a good man and I thoroughly enjoy seeing him whenever we can catch up.

Yeah they have - to varying effects! I've tried it myself as well. His parents are some of the hardest working and loveliest people I know, and their daughter is currently working overseas where she bounces between Scotland and the USA. A fully functioning, bright and happy human she is. But my friend has basically been the same person since World of Warcraft came into his life in like.. 2004? 2005? One of those years anyway. He lives for games and sees no reason to shift away from this. Sometimes I'll hop onto Discord seeing he's in a voice chat and he's just snoring away, sound asleep at his desk.

His mother said they tried to ban everything gaming while he sorted his studies out, back in high school, but he threw a massive rage-fit and started destroying things until they put everything back. Looking from the outside, he needed some kind of intervention with his gaming addiction a while back but his parents weren't sure how to do this without physically restraining him and risking damage to themselves. A quiet farming community isn't hugely well equipped for this I guess.

Also looking in from the outside, I do wonder "why am I friends with him?". But I've known him most of my life and it's really hard to give him up. Especially knowing there is a bright and talented person hiding away in there.

Aaahh the service industry

Never again for me mate. I think everyone should do it once just so they understand how the people in the industry have it day-to-day, but I've got my cushy office job and I ain't going back.

Glad to hear you're excited!

Foveaux  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy wack

Man everyone at my department is a professor or lecturer in their 50s at least. I'm still in my 20s and that blows their mind yet I feel aged already (rugby eh).

Despite this, every year I find more and more things to occupy my time - it really is never ending. Hobbies I never would have given a second glance in my teens I'm now quite into.

Foveaux  ·  101 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus

Hot damn.

I remember having colds and thinking they were nasty - then in 2017 at the ripe old age of 27 I had my first case of actual influenza and my eyes were opened. In bed for a week, pain in my joints, absolutely drained of energy. I'd have welcomed a little case of the sniffles.

The concern here in NZ is our cold and flu season is yet to start and we may enter it just as the travel restrictions ease up.

At the risk of throwing myself at a wall of negativity.. My previous government job had me interviewing clients to determine what kind of assistance they would need post-injury/surgery. ACC, New Zealand's fantastic compensation system. My role was essentially in a glorified call centre, we got paid very well but had to turn over a shit load of clients to meet the expectations. 20 minutes an interview was the expected run-time, I could do it in 4 but the Case Manager who got my interview script would have sweet fuck all to go on, so it wasn't worth the hassle doing calls quickly and answering further questions the next day.

We were measured on all numbers of things - a large flatscreen in our open space office would display something similar to Klein's picture - current call time, current "mode" (if you take a piss, you had to dial 69), number of calls taken and number of calls completed, and if you were on outbound, number of calls made and number of calls connected. They'd track you daily, weekly, monthly and pull you up if things slipped. I made the mistake of learning quickly so my numbers were solid from the get go, but then any lull required a meeting.

We hated it, of course. Being chained to your desk in all ways but physically. I accidentally left myself in toilet break while on a nasty call and it looked like I had just passed out taking a dump somewhere in the building.

Current job? My Performance Review is now based on things a lot less... metric-y. There's no numbers to crunch, it's more a feel for how people think I'm doing. My interactions with others, how involved I am, how quickly I respond to problems or pre-empt them. If you wanted, you could coast in this job and never get a pay-rise or considered for promotion, but you would stick around for a decade. Or until they restructured.. But if you want to get more money, get more involved and offer yourself up to help newbies in different departments - failing money, I have been gifted at least 6 different times with craft beer from a thankful staff member or manager.

Our reviews are personally handled - before the review we get the chance to write as little or as much in the template, and our manager will go over it and add to it as they see fit. I wrote damn pages because I was so involved with things and I wanted to wax lyrical about everything I did. It helped, and my manager agreed with it all. So you are sort of put in the spotlight trying to justify the work you do, but you aren't held to straight up numbers that prove to be a detriment to you doing a good job, so that's nice.

I didn't really answer the question did I..

Foveaux  ·  141 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 15, 2020

Just had the final of three guests in our new house. My girlfriend's parents visited, then my brother and his girlfriend, then my friend from the UK, whom I've never actually met as we only know each other through the rugby podcast we're on. He had never been to New Zealand so I got the pleasure of showing off the southern gem that is my city.

Basically we ate a lot of really nice food and he got sunburnt on an overcast day cause New Zealand hates you if you're pasty.

Was great having guests, but being back to just me and my girlfriend is very nice.

I've read my usual new book over the New Year break, now to bust out this macrame set I got given as a gift.

Foveaux  ·  142 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gamers of Hubski, what have you been playing lately?

Ohhhh so many. Since building my PC I now have a few things to spend my time on if I feel like it. PC, Switch, PS4 covers a good few bases.

PC

Destiny 2 - it's Free to Play on Steam (need to purchase the DLC if you want to progress to where everyone else is playing though) and I've been playing with a group of friends.

Terraria - Forgot how much fun this game is. Every time I think I've completed it, there's a whole new world that gets opened up for me and I'm getting kind of ridiculously powerful in some cases (like 3 seconds to kill an early game boss that took almost an in-game night previously) but hilariously weak in the next stage.

Path of Exile - Again with a group of friends. It's pretty fun and easy to pick up, plus the Kiwi-inspired design and voices are always enjoyable.

The Witness - I still don't fully understand this one, it's just a world full (and I do mean full) of puzzles to figure out. They all pretty much link up with other puzzles so you wander through the map doing what you can. Very peaceful!

Kind Words - You write letters to people who are having a hard time or need advice.

Binding of Isaac - I'm terrible at this, but my partner is like incredible. When we first met she mentioned she had a good amount of time put into it and me being a veteran of many games thought I would see if I stacked up. I did not. She cuts through runs like a knife through butter while I run in circles from an early-game enemy.

PS4

The Witcher 3 - another playthrough since watching the Netflix series. I know exactly how the game will pan out but I still thoroughly enjoy hooning around the map on Roach and deciding on which quest to do next, fight that werewolf or find the old lady's missing frying pan?

Modern Warfare (the new one) - campaign is pretty cool, but I'm way past these games to be honest. Used to love playing them in my younger years, and I was good enough to win competitions back then which should tell you how much time I committed to it.. Nowadays it's a bit of fun with friends.

Monster Hunter - god I'm awful at this. Truly awful. But again, friends are playing it and I have the game so why not. It's kind of fun actually, my friends will often record battles and you can see this wonderfully in-sync team hacking at this monster with precision strikes and I'm in the background figuring out how to draw my sword and accidentally bringing out a campfire to cook a roast.

Dead Cells - A beautiful and punishing game. Lovely music, lovely artwork, the mechanics are so smooth and crisp. Once you get the hang of it you'll be playing at breakneck speed and boy is it satisfying.

Borderlands 3 - Finished it, but occasionally hop on with some friends to cause some havoc. Very much what you'd expect from the franchise, not as amazing the 3rd time around sadly.

Okami - My partner has been playing this. I got it for her as she recalled enjoying it years ago.

Destiny 2: free to play on Steam, $80 a year Playstation Pass and $80 a year in updates from Bungie to play on PS4. Not only that they had an expansion about eight months back that you literally could not play through unless you were (A) a tryhard (B) rolling with five other people (C) a tryhard rolling with five other people. I was big into Destiny for quite a while but fuckin' hell, man, I have a life. I got booted out of my "clan" for not playing enough... by a guy with 11,000 hours into the fucking game.

It's awesome to me that Okami has been mentioned twice. I've played through that game like four times. Never have gotten that last stupid golden bead at the end of the forest race. It's hella easier on PS4 than it was on PS3, though, and it was hella easier on PS3 than it was on Wii.

Foveaux  ·  156 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: HAPPY NEW YEAR HUBSKIIII

Happy New Year!

The day is almost over for us here in NZ, but we woke up to this -- https://imgur.com/a/NvBFmg8 - I promise you, there has been no filter slapped onto that. It's just that yellow.

The fires in Australia have sent smoke across the bloody Tasman Sea and have arrived in our land. If this is just what made it over, I hate to think how those dealing with the fires are going..

Hope you all celebrate safely and that 2020 treats you well!

Foveaux  ·  176 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v0.25 - December 10, 2019 (WIP)

Man I swore I took photos of the PC. All I have is this the boxes, the CPU fan being put in and the finished product but it's got a tempered glass side so it's all reflective.

Anyway, Started with all of these - https://imgur.com/a/aXstYW1

All but the SX-700 worked. In my haste to buy these things, I didn't notice it was intended for a much smaller case and the power supply cables simply didn't reach. This can be altered but not quickly (at least not quickly by me), so my friend who helped me pick out the parts gave me his spare Power Supply as he felt guilty for not checking that one link and approving of all the others.

Mostly installed into the motherboard - https://imgur.com/a/qg9xu2s

I can't get these photos to embed properly for some reason, I'm doing something wrong but hopefully nobody minds having to click the links to see. Here I've installed the RAM, the CPU and it's cooler (big ass fan centre stage) and the ssd up near the top. Installing the motherboard was surprisingly easy but I was very nervous handling it all together with my clumsy rugby hands.

Here it is just sitting there doing nothing - https://imgur.com/a/0NvV3Aj

Poor quality, I was taking these very sporadically. I'll get a better one of all the lights when it powers up tonight.

But yeah, that's all done! On to the garden next - our peas need stakes, they're getting too tall.

Dala  ·  176 days ago  ·  link  ·

sitting there doing nothing

and looking beautiful. I have always wanted to build my own computer. Well, maybe not always. I'm not young enough for that to have really been a thing, but for quite some time I have. But I am terrified that I would spend a lot of time and money playing with the thing and then it wouldn't work. Now I think I have moved past that desire because I pretty much never use my PC that doesn't move.

Foveaux  ·  175 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was definitely worried I'd break it somehow but outside of physically crushing something, they seem to be designed such that things will only work one way - so eventually you do just piece it together.

Foveaux  ·  176 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 11, 2019

We got a cat! Long story short; our ex-flatmates who have recently bought a house, found the previous owners cat lurking around. He was extremely friendly but extremely determined to get into, what he understands as, his house. The new owners have a cat named Lily who is both tiny and entirely unaware of how tiny she is, leading to a lot of lost fights.

So, they called the previous owners for an idea of what to do - we now think they might be going through some bad times as neither of them replied as a unit, only offering their own opinion. The wife wants to put him down, the husband wanted to find a home but couldn't under short notice so left the cat with the neighbour (hence why the cat keeps returning home, it's very close).

Learning that he might be put down if he's not allowed to terrorize Lily, my ex-flatties rang me up and asked if we'd like to meet/take him away.

We went to meet him on Tuesday night, he was very affectionate and purring loudly. The previous owners said we could take him if we wanted, and gave us his vet history etc. So we bundled him into a crate and took him back to ours. He's got a sweet pad, little cat house with fluffy blanket, scratching post we bought this week anticipating a cat, an enclosed litter box for while he's adjusting to the house, some toys and treats etc.

As soon as we got him home we took him into the lounge as it's the best place to keep him in for now. Opened the crate and he shot under a couch, where he's been ever since.

This morning he ventured out! He's used the litter box un-prompted, eaten the food we left and drank the water, as well as munched the treats we left by the couch opening so he didn't have to move far. We coaxed him out and he was rubbing his face on everything and purring away. About 30 minutes of that and we had to get ready for work so he slinked back under the couch when we left him alone, hopefully that's a first sign he's getting adjusted though, only on our second day so need to be patient.

I tried taking a photo but he moves so damn fast so it's blurry and shite, but it'll do until he can sit still and pose.

Meet the currently unnamed cat (previous name was Elvis but he doesn't seem to answer to that anyway).

user-inactivated  ·  176 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's a handsome cat.

My good friend sent me "Do you Shower with your Dad Simulator" as a 'gift' on Steam, might have to buy him this as revenge.

Foveaux  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 4, 2019

Another week, another funeral. I dunno how much more emotional battering I can take! I feel quite adjusted to it now though - it's just when I see someone else tear up, I suddenly feel the tears coming on for me.

Gonna tuck into a beer this weekend that's for sure.

Plus side, we might be getting a cat this Saturday. Photos will be shared.

goobster  ·  182 days ago  ·  link  ·

I once lost 9 people in just under two years. Five of them to lunatics with guns. One who died instantly at his turntables when, while bopping his head to the music in his headphones, his undiagnosed spinal meningitis kicked in and basically turned him off. They say he was dead before he hit the ground.

There's no answer. There's no easy solution. There's no rhyme or reason to when or where you will go to pieces.

It just happens, and breaking down is not a weakness in character or a problem you can "solve".

What I found most helpful was to going and doing things that I know they specifically would have liked. Being active, doing something I may not have done by myself before, or simply thinking "If Drew was here, he'd seriously dig this!" helped me make new, positive memories, of the person and established a new positive narrative that I associated with them, rather than just their death.

Good luck with your journey, my friend.

Foveaux  ·  182 days ago  ·  link  ·

Appreciate the kind words.

I agree too - I intend to do things that my grandfather would be proud of. Taking good care of the gardens, inheriting his piano so practicing more often.

A part of me is sort of waiting for everything to hit. I feel like I've been coasting through but maybe I'm actually handling it well. This might be what being adjusted feels like to me!