Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 11, 2019

In relation to my previous Pubski post my friends proposal went successfully and they are now engaged.

That drink looks really nice. Whatever it is.

Foveaux  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 321st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Both songs by Pyramid;

and

Also this because I'd never heard it till recently and feel like I've been missing out...

mk  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·

Omg you hadn’t heard night moves until recently? I’m both happy and sad. Enjoy. It’s in my veins.

Foveaux  ·  190 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah I'm well behind, I discovered some of The Eagles work in 2017 - well my partner showed me their stuff - and One of these Nights shot to the top of my most played!

In a way it's cool, people get to introduce some loved classics and watch me get right into it for the first time.

Foveaux  ·  195 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Is Left on Hubski?

Name: Corey

Location: Dunedin, New Zealand

Age: 28

Current Preoccupation: Rugby, Powerlifting, Cross-stitch, fountain pens and saving for a trip to Japan in November.

Foveaux  ·  218 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fortnite

Aye - it turns me off faster now. Tried Fortnite, not for me. Got that Blackout demo on PS4, survived to the last 10 people on my first match by hiding in a bush and only coming out when the magical wall closed in, also not for me.

I guess devs see Fortnite's success and assume it's the BR format.

I kinda just figured it's cause it was bright, simple and free. Kids fuckin' love it.

Foveaux  ·  271 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 19, 2018

One more day at the office to go - I took a stroll into campus for lunch this week and snapped this

Outside the old clocktower where all the Finances/Student Records work takes place. Built in the late 1800s. Looks super nice in spring with the blossoms, or winter all covered in snow.

Over the years I see a lot of people discussing having Christmases by themselves which is kind of saddening. I don't think I've ever had a Christmas away from my rather large and boisterous family - this one will be the first my partner attends as she was in Englad last Christmas. I hope we don't overwhelm her..

Foveaux  ·  278 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 12, 2018

I just received a letter from Payroll saying they've approved a bonus of $1,100 to be paid to me before Christmas - my boss applied for it in secret after I completed our massvie office shift (along with a 24 beer advent calendar from her!).

I was thinking I'd just chuck it towards paying my car off but your words have me thinking I should do something more with it.

Thanks for that.

Foveaux  ·  306 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Why are Young People Having so Little Sex?

Are shared living spaces where people share a bedroom, or just sharing a house? I've seen in movies, American dorms etc where people are sleeping in the same bedroom and that always weirded me out. Having to have times you could be there so someone else could get their freak on just seemed odd.

user-inactivated  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·

The last house I shared with roommates had myself and four other people. The bedroom was just big enough for a bed, desk, dresser and an office chair. We all go along, but that many people in a shared space and you are always tripping over each other and all up in each other's business due to the confines of the house.

Kinda hard to get romantic with a partner of choice when there are four other people watching your every move and judging the new stranger now in the house. People I know have then had the issue where bringing a new person around, even if just a night or two a week changes the dynamic in the living space. If you have a good place and decent roommates, most people will not want to disturb that, especially if rent is outrageous and/or finding a new apartment/room/house is difficult.

I'd lean more onto the 1.7 trillion dollar Student Loan problem combined with the massive out of control housing costs in the areas people want to live in. Add in working long hours/multiple jobs as a consequence and you also explain why people under 30 are not joining professional societies and hobby organizations as much as their parents did. (And not joining and taking part in those activities limits contact with new people, reducing potential romantic partners) Work 70 hours a week and you won't have the energy to do much else.

Foveaux  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting - I haven't encountered that kind of issue when living with people and bringing someone else home. Or if the issue was there, I was entirely oblivious to it. I've been exceedingly lucky with my flatmates over the years.

You paint a scary picture and I don't doubt it's real - I'm just glad it's not happening to me at the moment!

user-inactivated  ·  304 days ago  ·  link  ·

Poverty is a hell of a mind fuck. Not recommended.

illu45  ·  306 days ago  ·  link  ·

Usually just shared common areas (kitchen, living room etc.) although the walls between bedrooms aren't usually very thick.

Foveaux  ·  306 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah that's not too bad then. Thin walls are no surprise though. Had to deal with that in my youth too!

In NZ kids seem to be having sex way too young, a different problem and in a different direction that the one you've posted. I first had sex at 14 and it was an uncomfortable, awkward 10 minutes that I regret wholeheartedly, and I'd tell any young person close to me and is in a hurry to "lose their virginity" is that it's sure as hell, not a race.

Tinder and the like ramped things up for me, personally. And I am not, conventionally, a good looking person. Though I do think the emergence of the dating apps has started to affect some people's ability to socialize in person.

That was quite the read though, thanks for sharing it!

illu45  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think that the first time you have sex is likely to be an awkward fumbling affair no matter how old you are.

Foveaux  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·

Absolutely - I just remember thinking (along with my other mates) that it was something you had to get done ASAP. The second time was so much better because I didn't feel any "pressure" to do it, which I think was exacerbating the awkwardness.

ArtemusBlank  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·

I lost my virginity at 22 to a religious girl I met through a craigslist ad and it didn't feel as awkward as I thought it would be. It actually seemed kinda natural. I guess when you lose your virginity when you are older, it just doesn't seem as bad. It also helped that I wasn't looking for it, it just randomly happened.

Foveaux  ·  305 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think that's about right - waiting a bit, not actively seeking it out as a hormonal teenager, not allowing yourself to be pressured etc.

Foveaux  ·  323 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What’s your closeted bougie preference?

Hmm I buy more expensive protein powder. Because it's the brand I first tried and am too scared to ever leave it for another brand or flavour... But I tell people it's because it's a thoroughly tested brand.

I splurge on craft beer - not because it's 'in' but I really do like specific beers. I really like coming across random, back of the fucking chiller, weird art on the container beers and getting to know them. I recently had a lovely Vanilla Porter called the Bean Counter, made by Brewaucracy. Never heard of it before, but it was brilliant.

From Garage Projects' very popular "Party n Bullshit" https://garageproject.co.nz/products/partybullshit

to their aplty named "BEER" https://garageproject.co.nz/products/beer/#/846183853

I love how people get to express themselves both on the can and in the contents.

So when the time comes and we're selecting drinks, I wander long and hard and am happy to pay a bit more for something out there.

Foveaux  ·  340 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Joe Murphy was the Red Wings' No. 1 pick. Then he became homeless.

That was... unnerving.

Reminds me of this:

Concussion in Rugby is finally being focused on - laws are being altered to crack down on head contact as much as possible. It's forced people to reinvent their defensive structures and overall style, but I hope it leads to something positive.

I've had three concussions, I think. Three that forced me from the field at any rate. Broken ankle, wrist and nose; countless scars on my back from when aggressive rucking was allowed. But the head knocks man, fuck that scares me now. One is too many, what am I going to be like when I'm 60?

Foveaux  ·  342 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Recovering Emotions After 24 Years on Antidepressants

It took one and a half years to get a doctor appointment.

Holy shit.

My doctor told me after the second time that I would have to take them for the rest of my life. I believed him.

I'm really glad my Dr and therapist both held the opinion that my antidepressants were to be a short-term thing. I was on them for a year, end of 2014, to the end of 2015; got the symptoms Cathy describes (dry mouth, deepening depression and sexual dysfunction were the most noticeable ones) along with these head "zaps" when I was coming off them. I know it sounds hyperbolic but I swear the world became more colourful after coming off them properly. Everything seemed to "pop" with colour.

Meditation helped me a shitload too - when I have inevitable attacks I can ride them out in a much healthier fashion than ever before.

Foveaux  ·  361 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong

Nice! Thanks for writing it out. Mine is quite.. straightforward - I guess that's a perk of not being too bothered by eating the same stuff over and over.

Breakfast: Banana on toast, vegemite on toast or baked beans on toast. Depends on my mood that morning.

Morning Tea: Two protein bars and a biscuit

Lunch: Sandwich with any variation of ham/lettuce/bacon/tomato/cheese along with some nuts or crackers to snack on.

Afternoon Tea: Banana and some mandarins

Dinner: The big one, usually some kind of meat with sauce (beef or chicken), a head of brocolli, spinach, mixed veg on rice or potatoes. if I'm doing a vegetarian dish this changes quite a bit and I'm doing that more and more often, but the staple is always a big, big dinner. Protein Shake to see out the night.

I walk about 3km a day at least, just getting to and from work. Then the gym training 6x a week for about 90 minute sessions. In Rugby season those sessions get cut down, with trainings twice a week with a Saturday match, in Touch Rugby season two games a week so on day gets dedicated to that - last thing I want is maxing on deadlifts only to be rapidly accelerating an hour after.

Unfortunately I've developed a taste for craft beer. It may be my undoing.

_refugee_  ·  361 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't mind eating the same thing every day...but I really enjoy cooking. My compromise is to take one day a week and cook a bunch of things, so I get my cooking fix, and then eat it through the week to do the right cal/macro balance (or at least try!). :)

If I didn't enjoy cooking so much, I would aim for the classic chicken and broccoli...but the truth is, my cheat day and the day I drink the most is the day I get to go grocery shopping and start cooking with a glass of wine and go for like 4 hours doing different things.

Alcohol for a long time has been my undoing, which is why I limit myself so consciously now. When I drink, I also try to minimize the calories -- but I definitely have been expanding my appreciation for beer (had a great dark ale tonight, an almost-stout, brewed with coffee and pb which just tasted like coldbrew) -- so now each beer is more precious!

I could be in the minority but I just don't comment on anyone's food unless it looks or smells fantastic. I used to be chubby and I hated people doing it to me, whatever their intentions - I do find it funny that now people comment more often on my food choices than before when I wasn't fit. Maybe I'm letting the past dictate; people could just be asking out of curiosity. Though I can't imagine anyone asking "are you sure you should be eating that" to an overweight person, like that just seems so monumentally stupid. Wtf are you expecting in answer when you ask that. Apparently it happens though.

Whenever you're fat, the meal you're eating right then is the meal you eat all the time

This gets me - and when you see someone obviously fit getting a pizza I've "earned it" or it's a "cheat meal". Immediately explained away as something they deserve.

katakowsj  ·  360 days ago  ·  link  ·

I say screw to hell with any dumb-ass that would ever spend the time to think or mention it. With an attitude like that, they'r e not even worth the time or consideration anyway. Eat for health and happiness.

Not that it's easy to do, given much of pop-culture. But that part of pop culture should be disregarded also.

Also, I lay off the cheese and dairy. No pizza for me. Damn, but that stuff gives me me acne. I mean, it's meant to make baby cows grow really fast. I find it acts as an inflammatory, plus I can feel my blood sugar levels surge after a lot of dairy, of course, especially in the form of ice cream. Blah.

Except they're your friends.

And they're your family.

And they're doing it out of love.

And they're doing it out of concern.

And they want to know why you can't be normal.

And they want to know why you can't look like them.

I mean, listen to yourself. Here in the midst of solidarity you go on an anti-dairy rant - despite it all, you can't help but give dietary advice based on your experience. Three spare sentences separate "eat for health and happiness" and "Also, I lay off the cheese and dairy."

My cousin (150lb overweight) has been shunned by her sister (100lb overweight) and her aunt (75lb overweight) because she started posting body-acceptance images on Facebook. The 100lb-overweight cousin posted this and the 150lb overweight one - her big sister - replied "I was going to post this but I was too busy eating twinkies."

The psychology is so deep most people can't even see it even when we're talking about it.

Only person on my feed who didn't argue with it? And keep in mind, I didn't post it - is the former counselor at an eating disorder clinic.

If they don't ask, they look at you meaningfully. If they don't look at you meaningfully, they pause their conversation.

I literally stopped eating in high school. For four years, I ate nothing - no calories - before 5:30pm. Then at 5:30 I gorged. Then I ran eight miles.

Nobody else can see the stars in front of your eyes but that's okay. You know they're there. They're your halo. They're what make you worthy.

Because fuckin' nobody else will.

Foveaux  ·  364 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The Next Financial Calamity Is Coming. Here’s What to Watch.

This may sound like a silly question but do people paying off their student loans in the States have to pay off the interest as well?

As currently written, you can get yourself on an income-adjusted plan, make minimum payments, and then forgive the whole stupid thing after 360 of them. Granted, that's a 30-year millstone and requires an appalling amount of interaction with a bunch of shifting lenders and agencies (and they've gotten real good at losing your paperwork, if you know what I mean).

But it's worth it. My wife took out $150k in loans to get a medical degree. At the end of 30 years, at our current rate, she'll owe the government $3m.

45% of our clients are on medicaid.

Fuck that shit.

_refugee_  ·  359 days ago  ·  link  ·

It actually depends on the loan. However, in most cases the answer is yes. There are some government loans where you do have to pay the interest but none accumulates (or what accumulates is forgiven) while you are in school. I believe there is another type (again, through the gov’t) where the total lifetime interest can be forgiven if certain conditions are met. This is based off recollection so I might be a little wrong on some details but I know for sure there’s a type in line with the first because I had some like that.

zebra2  ·  364 days ago  ·  link  ·

Definitely.

Foveaux  ·  364 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ouch yeah that'd be a millstone. Mine, thankfully, has the interest written off so I've been happily whittling it away for a few years and am now halfway through. As of 2006 our student loans have their interest written off provided you stay in NZ, after a certain amount of time overseas the interest will kick in. I think it's over a year as I spent a year in Australia and never incurred anything extra.