a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What it’s like to isolate with your girlfriend and her other boyfriend

In general, that’s the really cool thing about polyamory: I don’t feel the pressure of being everything for someone

This is interesting - to me it sounds like the person doesn't handle relationships well. Or at least, doesn't handle relationships the way I understand it. I've been with my partner for 3 years now, and we have our own bedrooms in our house, but we sleep in the same bed. We have our own hobbies and circle of friends that overlap every so often, but have enough room that we can both go out one night and not encounter each other.

I think our method is healthy. We support each other, we do a lot together, but we certainly aren't being everything for one another. Alone time can be in the same house as each other, neither her nor I need to go to someone else to get everything we need.

Poly is like playing the relationships game on hard mode.

My thoughts too - I have some friends who are in these relationships and I just do not get it. I don't want to talk anyone out of it, and if it makes them happy I'm all for it but the drama oh the drama.

Plus as you say, there's so much to try and understand before you even get to know someone in that setup.

Matched with one or two when I was using tinder and we would start talking then they'd have the spiel that was very kind of them to produce, but it also served as a mighty signal for me to not go any further.

Foveaux  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 18, 2020

Might have to go do this too..

elizabeth  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·

Turns out for us, it was fake news - liquor stores will remain open. But I appreciated the sentiment!

Foveaux  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v3.5 - March 13, 2020

Here we go, excellent work!

If I wind up buying the place I'm renting I already have a plan for what I'm doing with the garden/outdoor area. Raised beds, firepit, pathway.

Foveaux  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Garbage Language: Why do corporations speak the way they do?

I hate certain words partly because of the people who use them

I feel this, though I will continue describing it as corporatespeak despite their claim it is dated. Every company I've worked in, it's middle-management that push the language. Worse yet, the people I've encountered using it almost exclusively want someone else to take the reigns on whatever they're proposing. When asked to touchbase with someone, I discovered they had intended for me to contact them despite them approaching me initially - as though contacting me with an idea was their job done, now I would see it through.

I also hate the titles of projects and processes being trotted out. Just last week I was informed of our new "Operating Rhythm" as a part of the "Uplift Phase" of the "Support Services Review". What they mean is, "everyone is phenomenally fucked off that our Review gutted the support staff and now everyone left over has to paper over the cracks to keep the institution running on fumes. But this is your fault for not conforming to our new processes we paid a lot of consultants to develop, with money we saved by firing a bunch of you fuckwits. Now shut up, waste more time in pointless meetings and do more work than we can ever put into your contract."

Err whoops got a bit carried away. It's an interesting read but I seem to have been triggered by the corporatespeak. It never means positive things to me.

Foveaux  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My attempt to deal with an art scammer

His email has the word "Rich man" in it. I'm certainly reassured!

mike  ·  83 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ha! I didn't catch that. Nice!

Foveaux  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 4, 2020

Beer. Noice.

I really like that painting too btw.

Foveaux  ·  96 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy wack

I had a 22 y/o brother that lived with me and tried to make my life a living hell

I grew up resenting my brother a bit as he was taller, clever and charismatic - but most importantly he has hemophilia and thus was treated very delicately by my parents. Conversely, being treated differently made him very angsty as a teenager so coupled with him being my older brother, and the constant pain of his body being unable to function (coupled with what we now know was an opioid addiction) he was very difficult at times. Me being a young idiot, I just saw him being a dick and I was so caught up in my own life I didn't understand how painful his was. I guess what I'm saying is, I thought I had a shit brother making my life hell, but I didn't - so I can only sympathize!

Since those years though, we've become adults and much closer as brothers. So much has happened since, it'd be silly to try and put it all in here but he's a good man and I thoroughly enjoy seeing him whenever we can catch up.

Could be a genuine mental health thing. Some downward cycle shit. Have the parents tried any tough love?

Yeah they have - to varying effects! I've tried it myself as well. His parents are some of the hardest working and loveliest people I know, and their daughter is currently working overseas where she bounces between Scotland and the USA. A fully functioning, bright and happy human she is. But my friend has basically been the same person since World of Warcraft came into his life in like.. 2004? 2005? One of those years anyway. He lives for games and sees no reason to shift away from this. Sometimes I'll hop onto Discord seeing he's in a voice chat and he's just snoring away, sound asleep at his desk.

His mother said they tried to ban everything gaming while he sorted his studies out, back in high school, but he threw a massive rage-fit and started destroying things until they put everything back. Looking from the outside, he needed some kind of intervention with his gaming addiction a while back but his parents weren't sure how to do this without physically restraining him and risking damage to themselves. A quiet farming community isn't hugely well equipped for this I guess.

Also looking in from the outside, I do wonder "why am I friends with him?". But I've known him most of my life and it's really hard to give him up. Especially knowing there is a bright and talented person hiding away in there.

Aaahh the service industry

Never again for me mate. I think everyone should do it once just so they understand how the people in the industry have it day-to-day, but I've got my cushy office job and I ain't going back.

Glad to hear you're excited!

Foveaux  ·  133 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 366th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

And kind of an odd inclusion, was going through old Video Game music I used to love and came across this piece

Foveaux  ·  137 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 15, 2020

Our flatmates bought their house the same time my girlfriend and I moved into our own house and it is truly awesome having your own space and things to alter. Like I miss these flatmates, one I had lived with for the past 7 years or so, even traveling to Australia with him! But now there's that wonderful sense of knowing you aren't in anyone's way. The only other person I need to take into account is my girlfriend.

Bliss! Enjoy it :)

Foveaux  ·  138 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Gamers of Hubski, what have you been playing lately?

It's such a fantastic game huh. Walking out of the tomb into the world was like... ahhh so cool. Plus the game lets you just fuck around with different ways to solve problems. Endlessly entertaining!

Foveaux  ·  144 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 8, 2020

I've shared this in the Craft Fair thread because homing this kitty has been somewhat of a mission requiring deft hands and patience. But wanted to share to the Pubski thread. Look at this little regal face :)

I've started running again to stay fit for Touch Rugby. If I'm not chasing someone/being chased in a match I just don't care for it. But it helps so it's gotta be done!

goobster  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·

How funny! Was talking with my friend Barney about our fitness history and rugby history. He has also done medieval warfare and renaissance fair battles...

... and he said, "Ya know? I just don't really want to exercise unless I'm being chased by a big scary guy wielding a sword or a trying to tackle me with a ball!"

Foveaux  ·  143 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah! Like I love lifting, and I love rugby and all the various forms of the sport. But running just for the fun of it? No thanks. I'll do it when my brother drags me on a run but I'll swear and curse his name the entire time.

I hate Guinness.

I will gladly take it off your hands!

Foveaux  ·  147 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It Was a Good Run

Indeed! I am seeing the same things unfold here though. Massive hike in numbers during an economic downturn etc. So found it interesting reading nonetheless.

What does tuition look like over there? Just curious. I know much of Europe is subsidized to various degrees but I"m pretty well out of my depth when it comes to international higher ed.

Foveaux  ·  146 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm so I guess it depends on what you're studying - when I was at Uni 2008-2011 that cost me about 35k, standard 4 year BA. Definitely less than 10k a year.

However, say you wanted to get your MBChB, a 6 year course in 2020 you'd be set back a little over 90k by the end. Though that's for a domestic student, an international student doing the same course would be paying 70-80k a year for most of the 6 years.

The domestic student prices listed are the subsidized versions of it, but I couldn't tell you what the true number is. I know a majority of the Universities get about 30% of their funding straight from the Government but they will allocate that as they see fit/according to their programmes.

Foveaux  ·  164 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The man who made E.T., the “worst” video game in history

The noises. Cripes I've been spoiled over my years gaming.