Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 11, 2019

I got NMS on sale for $20 last year sometime, just after that first of the big updates began to turn it into something decent.

First planet I came across I named "Iwi Katea" after my hometown, it also had a "barren" moon that I named "My Hopes and Dreams" before finding a radioactive planet I called "Ze Goggles, zey do Nothing". But now? Everything I encounter just has it's in-game name cause man it's tiring coming up with shit nobody will ever read.

My brother and I account share so we take turns buying new games, Borderlands 3 has now dropped and we'll be getting acquainted tonight I think; sometimes you just need to shoot shit and zone out.

Foveaux  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What was the best financial advice that you have ever heard?

I received the same advice! So I don't skimp on tyres, my bed which cost me a pretty penny and any shoes I buy outside of ones specifically for gym training.

Foveaux  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What Ever Happened to Waterbeds

Hah, the launching is too real. Trying to hop in peacefully and wind up slapping the other occupant against the wall.

Our family used them - I had one in the mid 90s!

But yeah they leaked something awful and when one was caught leaking, we did away with them all. Lesson learned I guess?

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hi Hubski! What are some of your private rituals?

After visiting some University friends I realized how lucky I've been with flatmates the past few years. I've lived with my best mate since about 2014, we would change houses when we can and slowly upgrade from student freezers to actual homes.

Since around 2016 we've culled the flatmates down to our respective partners and there's never been an argument, no cleaning roster needed, no drama at all.

Shit the conversations around using another person's stuff amounts to just Always Sunny references:

"Hey I'm out of eggs can I snag two of yours?"

"I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds"

Gonna miss him next year, but I certainly don't miss the previous setup with 5 randoms in a house.

Foveaux  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 4, 2019

I've got the various hellos/good mornings/good evenings down along with some basic food items, and of course 'thank you'. I can introduce myself with a little bit of pondering!

Have heard from a few people that the everyday Japanese person will find a genuine attempt at the language far more welcome compared to just not bothering. So am hoping to be able to greet people comfortably at least!

Will be sure to take heaps of average phone photos.

Foveaux  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 40 somethings, what advice do you have for those of us 30 somethings?

I have a large band that I use before my gym training to keep my shoulders warmed up - I do these dislocations methodically and the older powerlifting guys tried it once, only able to get their arms above their heads, couldn't go any further.

Next week they all had a band of their own to work on their shoulder flexibility, it was adorable but also scary that they simply never noticed it until they tried that specific movement.

katakowsj  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·

Good for you man.

I’m stretching as I type on the floor. Running is great too. I’m 45 and feeling good because I run. I teach 8th grade math and got In my fastest 5k of the season this morning before my first day with students back.

I didn’t take the time to stretch this morning though and wish I’d had. I expect I would have recovered faster.

Thanks for mentioning the importance of stretching.

Foveaux  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 340th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Run the Jewels albums add literal kilometres to my running.

OftenBen  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was shooting for 5-6 miles on the bike today and ended up at 15.

I just imagine El P calling me a lazy bitch and Killer Mike telling me that I can do it, I just gotta stop being a lazy bitch. (And to give Bernie Sanders money)

Foveaux  ·  57 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Whitey's on the Moon

The racial dynamics in America are fascinating (and depressing). Here, calling someone 'Whitey' opens up so many chances to be wrong. I've been called it before, but when you respond in Maori, they visibly deflate.

But also weirdly, I've only been called "Whitey" by white people. It seems other people here don't like taking the very real risk of getting it way wrong, and accusing an indigenous person of being one of their past oppressors.

Foveaux  ·  120 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club: general discussion

I was working my way through the Expanse as well, but at some point I got distracted somewhere in Cibola Burn and haven't gotten back into it. I can't recall what it was that made me stop but I should really get back into it. My partner and I blew through the TV Show and were itching for more so I picked up the books thus far.

Foveaux  ·  160 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: First Ever Images of a Black Hole

So damn cool. Love seeing how much it means to the people involved.

Foveaux  ·  181 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Google attempts to fuck up gaming as bad as it has fucked up everything else

We have an nVidia shield in our flat, slowly using them to replace our FireTV setups in our bedrooms/lounge - mine is next to be replaced but we've barely scratched the gaming side of it.

But as you've mentioned elsewhere here, 35GB per second. Our internet is fucking fast for New Zealand - https://www.odt.co.nz/business/dunedin%E2%80%99s-net-speed-not-reflected-data-use but even so...

I almost bought it as a Plex box a few times but Plex never fails to disappoint.

They're not launching in NZ. They're launching in the US... where you can pay $80/mo for 50MB. And maybe they've got magic to make it work but if you're playing it in a browser your magic suffers from heavy constraint.

OftenBen  ·  180 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just installed Plex on the new smart-tv we put in the living room. It seems to pull movies from my media repository just fine when I need them.

How has it let you down?

- it transcodes like shit on PS3 (better on PS4)

- Chromecast works sometimes

- Files are stored in proprietary formats so you can't sync with plex and play with something else

- playback sucks (flat out skips, pops and distorts on Android - how the fuck can you not play MP3 files)

- Has promised working with tuners for four fucking years

- Has maintained that it works with tuners for two fucking years when it doesn't

- Has had no answers about the tuners for two fucking years

OftenBen  ·  180 days ago  ·  link  ·

Noted.

Foveaux  ·  181 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ah well, probably for the best then. Honestly, we've got our laptops, a switch, PS4, and two Retropies so at least in our household we're set for a bit of casual fun.

Shit I remember tinkering with Plex - I don't think I ever really understood how it was meant to operate and gave up pretty quickly. I'm using a FireTV with that Kodi addon but the device is about 4 years old now. Shield it shall be, soon.

Foveaux  ·  183 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Last Week Tonight: Public Shaming

Damn, not avaliable in NZ yet - would definitely enjoy this one I think.

Foveaux  ·  184 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Are kids going on strike over climate inaction where you are?

Had about 1000 turn up in Dunedin. For city of about 130k when the Uni students are here, that's not a horrible amount.

Some quality signs on display - "My outrage can't fit on this sign". And "We don't have a vote, but we do have a voice".