a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

You know, I had made peace with the idea that I'd likely become infected - hoping that my youthful immune system and a good dollop of luck might mitigate some damage.

Turns out I only even knew of a few people catching it. I'll take some strength loss and week long DOMS over your experience.

Foveaux  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

I need to rewatch City Slickers, my dad and I would crack up watching it when I was a youngster.

Foveaux  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: Are you easing back in to less distant socializing?

We've been easing things up pretty rapidly in NZ. I've been to a couple of small gatherings, had people over and so on. The gym is probably the most packed placed I frequent and people (for the most part) are considerate about distance.

Each day with no cases here seems to encourage more activity, which I understand but I do appreciate nobody wants to see the hard work undone. The socializing has been limited for sure, but it has increased in frequency the last week or so.

Tomorrow I see my parents for the first time since February! Looking forward to that.

Foveaux  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine

Ugh a long standing friend of mine tried this on me. He will defend Trump constantly but always under the guise of "playing devil's advocate" and "trying to paint a different perspective".

Like, pal, at some point you stop playing the role, and it just becomes your thought process.

Foveaux  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 29, 2020

I legitimately thought you had fashioned pasta for the hair, for a brief second.

Either way, I'm impressed.

steve  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was about to use ramen noodles... You'd think in a house with 58 children I'd be able to find some yellow yarn... alas, at the 11th hour I found one little patch of yellow yarn I was able to use.

Foveaux  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 378th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately"

Their new album is out, not quite what I was hoping but I've listened to these guys since 2007 so it's hardly going to be the same all throughout.

Foveaux  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Craft Fair v4.5 - April 17, 2020

Fuck, i've done heaps of baking. I'll add some photos in soon.

Also naughty Mudsy.

Foveaux  ·  52 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 15, 2020

Ye 9, none more confirmed today during the daily 1pm address thankfully.

We expect some more as there is a cluster or two at retirement homes, but I'm increasingly thankful our Govt acted quickly and made the most of the info and time they had on hand.

It's not going to be great, but fuck it could have been so much worse.

Foveaux  ·  62 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What books did you get stuck with?

Ah I initially thought this would be a thread on what books are you struggling with.

Which for me is the Wheel of Time series, always get to about book 6/7 and I just cbf.

But as to the physically stuck with a book, none! I haven't been to our library in ages actually.. That can go on my list of things to do post-lockdown.

Foveaux  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 25, 2020

Day 1 of the NZ Lockdown Extravaganza. The sun is shining and I have a powerful urge to travel far and wide. So instead I did some washing, had some meetings and am contemplating packing it in for the day at 2pm with fuck all else to do (work-wise).

Thankfully my employer is government funded and they have said even if I don't have any work to do, I'm still being paid during the time away from the office. Gotta love that kind of benefit. I don't want to just sit around for 4 weeks but if nothing comes to my work station I'm just gonna have to get really good at some more video games.

Ooh I could stream on the Hubski discord for those who are super bored.

Foveaux  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

Nice! I just tried some Talisker recently, apparently is can be polarizing but I enjoyed it. Currently on a nice Islay.

Foveaux  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: New Zealand now in lockdown

Dr Wiles has been a wonderful source of easily digestible info for the panicked average Kiwi - https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/covid-19/412585/covid-19-siouxsie-wiles-answers-your-lockdown-questions

Foveaux  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

Gutting about missing the rugby. I am already watching highlights in lieu of actual matches.

Did you bring any cool shit back from the UK? Some sweet duty free?

goobster  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·

I did! I brought three bottles of whisky:

- Talisker 6 single cask,

- "Big Peat" a blend of Islay's finest,

- and another bottle of Ailsa Bay that I can get in the States.

I also got a plushie Highland Cow in a tartan hat for my mom, as well as MacGillivray and Buchanan tartan fridge magnets for her.

Foveaux  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·

Foveaux  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I'm back

I, too, read that as "pinched a loaf".

kantos  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·

Google gives a nice diagram for that phrase. TIL what pinch a loaf means... and TMI Google, TMI...

Foveaux  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: "I've noticed you've been working from home." An op-ed by your dog.

Yeah I can see my cat in a monologue like this!

He brought his first bird in to us the other week, it was still alive so I made him drop it and let it outside where it flew away and the look he gave me was legitimate contempt.

"That. Was. Your. Lunch."