a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
Foveaux's comments
Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

Kia ora kotou katoa Hubski!

With Reddit frothing on both sides of the fence whenever New Zealand gets mentioned on the site, I have backed away a bit from the internet and just focused on things I can control. I still browse Hubski but I very rarely have anything relevant to say, so lurking is the style for me. But as of 1pm today we have 1 active case remaining in the country which is pretty sweet.

I started a hefty whisky collection while in lockdown. Alongside some basic spirits so I could make some nice drinks for my partner and I after a hard day of doing my civic duty, by doing sweet fuck all. I am about to launch into the Highland side of things, so wish me luck.

Recorded a lot (hours and hours) of videogame footage with my friends, am now making some fun videos with them which I've found really entertaining. Currently working on videos of our exploits in Sea of Thieves.

With the gym reopening, I got to experience what 8 weeks away will do - a shitload of DOMS. Some mild strength loss, but less than I expected thanks to the bodyweight routines while at home.

Hope you're doing okay, nga mihi nui

With the gym reopening, I got to experience what 8 weeks away will do

now try it while recovering from COVID

My ass is getting kicked by yoga

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

You know, I had made peace with the idea that I'd likely become infected - hoping that my youthful immune system and a good dollop of luck might mitigate some damage.

Turns out I only even knew of a few people catching it. I'll take some strength loss and week long DOMS over your experience.

Foveaux  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 27, 2020

I need to rewatch City Slickers, my dad and I would crack up watching it when I was a youngster.

Foveaux  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: Are you easing back in to less distant socializing?

We've been easing things up pretty rapidly in NZ. I've been to a couple of small gatherings, had people over and so on. The gym is probably the most packed placed I frequent and people (for the most part) are considerate about distance.

Each day with no cases here seems to encourage more activity, which I understand but I do appreciate nobody wants to see the hard work undone. The socializing has been limited for sure, but it has increased in frequency the last week or so.

Tomorrow I see my parents for the first time since February! Looking forward to that.

Foveaux  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 15, 2020

My whisky collection is growing, NZ Govt considers alcohol delivery an essential if it can be contact-less.

My parents had their 35th wedding anniversary last week so we had a ZOOM meeting with the family to raise a glass to them - was a bit odd but very nice to do.

Work has all but ceased, I've volunteered to help other departments cause I'm bored as shit.

Finished the Final Fantasy 7 Remake over Easter, 36 hours and I didn't do much outside of story based things so eventually I'll go back to properly flesh it out, but I fucking loved what I got from it all the same.

Our Govt is looking at easing restrictions, but only slightly, after we hit our four week lockdown period next Thursday. I might even be able to go back to the office! 9 deaths is 9 too many for any time, but it's a tiny number compared to what it could have been. Proud of my fellow Kiwis for putting in all the hard work needed.

Holy shit I miss the gym.

NINE?

I'm three exits from a building with four times that many, two of which were friends of a friend.

Foveaux  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ye 9, none more confirmed today during the daily 1pm address thankfully.

We expect some more as there is a cluster or two at retirement homes, but I'm increasingly thankful our Govt acted quickly and made the most of the info and time they had on hand.

It's not going to be great, but fuck it could have been so much worse.

Foveaux  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine

Ugh a long standing friend of mine tried this on me. He will defend Trump constantly but always under the guise of "playing devil's advocate" and "trying to paint a different perspective".

Like, pal, at some point you stop playing the role, and it just becomes your thought process.

Foveaux  ·  95 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 26, 2020

My last grandparent passed away in November last year. I inherited his piano and it arrived last week (after much huffing and puffing as the moving company messed up and sent one elderly man to help shift it into my house. Which has stairs). It now sits in my lounge and is a lovely reminder of grandad. I haven't played in years and years but the muscle memory appears to be helping, I have picked up some tunes and am getting back into scales etc. I'm practicing most nights.

Under the lid for the keys, a small child had lightly carved their name into the dark wood of the piano. It reads in shaky writing, 'Alastair Waugh', grandads younger brother. My grandad had his childhood lessons from his mother on this very same piano - it's quite humbling having it in my house and at my fingertips.

Foveaux  ·  68 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Now that we're all working from home...what does your setup look like?

My partner is using my PC and monitors as she needs two screens more than I need them, as handy as they are for me. So my work station is currently this via laptop.

Could be worse!

Foveaux  ·  81 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 11, 2020

My parents visited with my 3 year old nephew over the weekend - mum got a cute photo of he and I jamming on the piano. His curly hair is the best - before I lost mine to the great Male Pattern Baldness War of 4 years ago, mine was the same. `

A friend is coming round this weekend bearing all kinds of whisky for me to taste - he went to this big festival last week and brought some goodies back, intent on getting me into the world of whisky. Time will tell if it suits but I'll hardly turn down the attempt! Once everything has been tasted we'll turn to the tradition of 1v1 Quickscopes on CoD, 1 sip for 1 death, 2 if it's a particularly humorous death. I'm nearly 30 so this will surely haunt me on Sunday.

Also the Final Fantasy 7 Remake has me all kinds of excited. The music of the opening in the demo genuinely brought a tear to my eye. My brother and I would play that game end to end while he was in hospital/home with whatever new injury he had. Now we're all grown up with careers and lives, and this game brings us straight back down nostalgia alley.

I work for a University and we're planning the "what-ifs" for if COVID-19 hits us properly. Most of our Department is actually setup already as we have a large cohort of distance students (some as far away as the UK) so it only takes some tweaking of the undergrad papers to get them up to speed. I'm yet to be allowed to trial working from home but having done it before I know it's possible. Students and staff are about the same as usual, not many people outwardly panicking. But we've only had 5 cases so far, early days yet.

Foveaux  ·  74 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 18, 2020

So amidst this panic, my friend came round over the weekend with 10 different samples of whisky. We started with Famous Grouse and I hated it, barely finished my serving. On to Talisker, Mortlach, Monkey Shoulder, Islay Mist and Ardbeg. All of which I thoroughly enjoyed, particularly the Islay Mist and Ardbeg. We never got round to the Laphroaig but I hear good things, especially around pronouncing it after a few drinks.

I enjoyed it enough that I went out and bought myself a bottle of Islay Mist - it doubled as an anniversary present - 3 years with my lady as of St Patricks Day. She was trying the whisky's as well and her tastes mirrored mine.

Rugby has been cancelled for the foreseeable future, both club and professional setups. If my gym closes I'll be buying some dumbbells and doing whatever I can to maintain strength.

We've hit 20 known cases in New Zealand, and it's kind of endearing in a small-town way, that we can very accurately track the cases. One of our PhD students has a sister in London who has had the virus and is recovering so that was some interesting information to hear from said student.

I'm ready to work from home but the Ministry of Education is being quite steadfast in not letting University staff leave at the moment. They want us to have a face for the students and from the meeting I was in yesterday, one of their massive concerns alongside financial loss is the public losing faith in the institution. Either way, lemme do my job from home it'll be fine I promise - no whisky till like 5pm. OK 4pm.

Our PM has issued some strong thoughts on tourists arriving with no plans to self-isolate - could be looking at straight up deportation.

In non-COVID-19 news, abortion is set to officially be legal in New Zealand, finally.

thenewgreen  ·  73 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was in Scotland last year and had a lot of difference scotches. I really liked Talisker “Storm.” Laphraoig used to be a favorite. I used to drink their 15 with cW and watch Twin peaks. Ah, the good ole days.

Stay safe!

Foveaux  ·  88 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 4, 2020

New Zealand has three coronavirus cases, no lemon or lime.

Work has picked back up finally and all the students have come back to the city. On one hand it's great to see life breathed into the place, on the other hand by god do they make a mess. I walk down probably the most infamous street in New Zealand each morning, during the day it's calm but at night...

This was taken in 2009, I was in there... Somewhere.. as a fresh faced 18 year old. Things have carried on much the same every year. February hits, students flock back and Castle Street gets absolutely dealt to.

In other news, I attended the first meeting of the Craft Beer Club a few friends have created. Everyone was issued a style to bring, I was on "stouts". It was actually rather fun, everyone went really hard on getting things that were unique and a bit odd. Along with my stouts, I threw in a pickle flavoured beer to see if anyone would even try it and I nearly got kicked out of the group. The blueberry stout saved me and I live to drink another day.

Foveaux  ·  124 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Boys today. Oof. (seriously intense article)

In my sex ed classes in High School (around 2006/7) we had a wonderful teacher who didn't just focus on STDs, contraception and the like - but discussed what a healthy relationship should entail, and the signs of an unhealthy relationship.

They were particularly helpful lessons as rural New Zealand can be a difficult place to develop into an adult. You play rugby? You're a king. You bang the girls and crush tins and you'll be praised for it. "Pressure's on boy, have you rooted her yet?". Everything was a competition and I bought into it wholeheartedly because I wanted to continue to be a part of it all. It was all I knew, and all I cared about - like the above linked comic.

Despite the helpfulness - it took me until my early 20s before I started treating women in the right manner (as y'know, actual people) - nearly a decade of sex-having where I saw it as a conquest rather than an experience.

Now there's a whole host of young guys at our gym, 16-19 years old. Most starting a new year off, trying to get jacked for the girls. I chat to them about training and we move into life topics, eventually one will ask how I know all the "hot sluts" at the gym.

My response is now "Well I don't call them sluts, that's my first bit of advice". The girls at the gym are friendly with me because they know I'm genuine and am actively not trying to sleep with them. I've introduced them to my girlfriend at the gym, I've helped them prepare for powerlifting competitions, practice lifting techniques and so on. My interest is their enjoyment of their sport and feeling comfortable in the gym, as they deserve to feel. Ogling them and referring to them as "hot sluts" is the exact opposite of what I want for them, and should be the opposite of what these young men want as well.

I can speak to these boys from experience because I used to do the exact same thing as them. But one-by-one I'm going to get these young men to come around earlier than I did.

Anyway it all has to start somewhere. So why not me? Why not now?

Foveaux  ·  109 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 12, 2020

Last week we had a public holiday, Waitangi Day, so I took some further days off and had a nice 4 day weekend. I went to Christchurch to visit my brother and my partner's parents. Was such a lovely trip! My brother likes his hiking and long distance running, so he dragged me up into the Port Hills where I took this shot

The body of water is near Lyttleton harbour, on the other side of the Hills we climbed up. The city is well off to the left down the hills once more. The harbour exits into the Pacific.

We went to the latest installments of the Art Gallery

I found this tree! I used to play in this tree when I was a child growing up in this city. I remember the feel of the bark and the safe surroundings very well. A wonderful bit of nostalgia during my trip.

Now this is new. This is the Riverside Market, it opened up at the end of last year, in the main area where the city was demolished by the Earthquakes. We arrived at about 10am and it was dead quiet, but that photo was taken just after lunch and it was humming full of people. The Market was primarily indoors and hosted at least 50 different shops and eateries. Absolutely mindblowing to find it here! We had crepes in the morning, ramen for lunch on the tables in front, then went upstairs and had a few beers from the local brewery under one of those red umbrellas.

We visited the memorial erected for those lost in the earthquakes

It was really tastefully done, I felt. A simple wall just sitting by the lazy Avon river, people having lunch in it's shadow, or visiting the names of those they lost.

Just another photo - this is directly outside the City Council building. I've always admired the energy put out by the Maori carving work.

Afterwards we headed back to her parent's place and by night time her father had his telescope out and we had a look at the moon in startling clarity. Could make out the scars and craters all over.

I've become a 12 year old again and have been having an absolute blast playing Modern Warfare. I thought I was too old and crusty to be any good but my old friends who felt the same banded together and clean house most matches. Infected is a wonderful game mode - for the uninitiated, Infected is where all players started with the same equipment; a count down begins giving you time to run and hide or barricade yourself in somewhere. Once the countdown ends, a randomly chosen player switches sides and becomes the infected player, armed with a knife and greater movement speed - tasked with turning every other member over to their side. It quickly becomes an absolute mess as you find your team mates whittled down and switched over, suddenly you're holed up in a dingy building as these madmen clamber over your walls and claymores to end you. Or you hide in a bush and pray they don't get close enough to see your nametag.

Anyway I've been having fun. Hope you're all safe and sound.

Foveaux  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy wack

I was born in a town of about 3000 people, and lived in a township of (I think) 125 out in rural South Otago. All through my teenage years we did the usual rural stuff - lighting stuff on fire, drinking and smoking, having sex at 14, hooning around the farms in paddock-bashers. Regular fucking idiots.

Then the end of high school came and half of our school year (30 people) went to Universities around the country. I went up the road no more than an hour yet I was fuckin' dead to everyone back home. I'd known them pretty much my entire life and we'd formed countless memories together but going back in the first mid-year break? Going to the pub was an ordeal because they wouldn't talk to me. I'd left the farming area and now I was a townie. Like suddenly I had forgotten how to shear a sheep and order the farm dogs.

They came around eventually, but there was some kind of betrayal they appeared to have felt in regards to people leaving their little nest. I'm on good terms with most people once more, but it took an effort to prove I wasn't a "townie" or more accurately, to prove that being a "townie" isn't a bad thing. Better weed, more things to do - just don't bring up the country vs town rugby 'rivarly' (if you can call country losing for the past 80 years a rivalry) and you're fine. One friend turns 31 this year, lives with his parents and refuses to get his license or a job. I'm not quite giving up on him, but boy we've run out of ideas.

Anyway I echo your thoughts, seeing how everyone reacted to me leaving reinforced my decision to do so. I was glad I left, I became a much more well-rounded person (eventually). I wouldn't give up the memories I made for anything, but I'm making new ones now and they're just as important.But man, 23! I went from being 21, drinking absinthe and racing down an icy street on a fridge door, to being 29 living with my partner and cat with our weekends spent gardening, watching movies or going to the beach. But I wanted this softer life after all the havoc I caused. I'm not peaked yet and I don't see that happening till my late 30s or early 40s if that.

You've not even come close to peaking!

nil  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·

Say word.

I used to say I did something that could have gotten me arrested on a daily basis and something that could have gotten me killed on a weekly basis. But even then it was mostly constructive rebellion. There was an all-pervasive angst growing up but most of it came from a feeling of powerlessness. I had no idea how easy it would have been to actually get out. Hard but easy, because everyone around you talks about it like it's the dragon of chaos or some shit.

I had a 22 y/o brother that lived with me and tried to make my life a living hell. Cuz I was like 15 and accidentally had a marijuana reefer bong toke or something. Who gives a rip? I was the most educated in my family but clearly the most resented.

Playing music, trying to raise money for x and y cause. My drugs of choice were a lot of psychedelics and weed. So there wasn't a penchant for violence I guess. Fridge racing sounds funny af. Other people had it pretty rough though. We used to drive around the mall screaming dolphin noises at pedestrians.

Could be a genuine mental health thing. Some downward cycle shit. Have the parents tried any tough love? Prozac? Maybe even Ritalin (but that's risky). My parents wouldn't let me fail. I used to think getting a job was hard - let me tell you kids - when you haven't eaten all day and you're sliding into some girl's DM's just because they might have sway on a hiring manager and you know if you don't come out with six fiddy by the end of the month you'll be freezing to death or giving your former boss "favours" ya tend to figure it out pretty quick. Also living with your parents can wreck your self-esteem because you're denied fundamental political rights.

Aaahh the service industry. That's what I call L-I-V-I-N. Seriously though, thanks for the moral support. Claiming my constitutional rights has been the greatest thrill of my adult life and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Foveaux  ·  96 days ago  ·  link  ·

I grew up resenting my brother a bit as he was taller, clever and charismatic - but most importantly he has hemophilia and thus was treated very delicately by my parents. Conversely, being treated differently made him very angsty as a teenager so coupled with him being my older brother, and the constant pain of his body being unable to function (coupled with what we now know was an opioid addiction) he was very difficult at times. Me being a young idiot, I just saw him being a dick and I was so caught up in my own life I didn't understand how painful his was. I guess what I'm saying is, I thought I had a shit brother making my life hell, but I didn't - so I can only sympathize!

Since those years though, we've become adults and much closer as brothers. So much has happened since, it'd be silly to try and put it all in here but he's a good man and I thoroughly enjoy seeing him whenever we can catch up.

Yeah they have - to varying effects! I've tried it myself as well. His parents are some of the hardest working and loveliest people I know, and their daughter is currently working overseas where she bounces between Scotland and the USA. A fully functioning, bright and happy human she is. But my friend has basically been the same person since World of Warcraft came into his life in like.. 2004? 2005? One of those years anyway. He lives for games and sees no reason to shift away from this. Sometimes I'll hop onto Discord seeing he's in a voice chat and he's just snoring away, sound asleep at his desk.

His mother said they tried to ban everything gaming while he sorted his studies out, back in high school, but he threw a massive rage-fit and started destroying things until they put everything back. Looking from the outside, he needed some kind of intervention with his gaming addiction a while back but his parents weren't sure how to do this without physically restraining him and risking damage to themselves. A quiet farming community isn't hugely well equipped for this I guess.

Also looking in from the outside, I do wonder "why am I friends with him?". But I've known him most of my life and it's really hard to give him up. Especially knowing there is a bright and talented person hiding away in there.

Aaahh the service industry

Never again for me mate. I think everyone should do it once just so they understand how the people in the industry have it day-to-day, but I've got my cushy office job and I ain't going back.

Glad to hear you're excited!

Foveaux  ·  97 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Holy wack

Man everyone at my department is a professor or lecturer in their 50s at least. I'm still in my 20s and that blows their mind yet I feel aged already (rugby eh).

Despite this, every year I find more and more things to occupy my time - it really is never ending. Hobbies I never would have given a second glance in my teens I'm now quite into.