Dendrophobe's comments
Dendrophobe  ·  1131 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Slack - has anyone used it?

Switched to it at work recently. I like it. Well designed, slick interface, lots of features. It's apparently really easy to add external services to it. I work with a small team that's known each other for years and works in the same room, so our use is a little... unconventional. It's easy to set up trigger words that cause slackbot to respond, which we use almost exclusively to sass each other. Good times.

Especially with winter on the way...

Completely unexpected. I was thinking it would be a minority government, either conservative or liberal. I had absolutely no expectation that it would turn out the way it did. I was keeping an eye on some of the predictions, and last night's outcome was at the far end of probability. I don't know that anyone saw it coming.

Dendrophobe  ·  1185 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Jools Holland interviews Stewart Copeland (The Police) 2

I saw a TV show a few years ago where Elvis Costello interviewed Copeland, and he instantly became my favourite member of The Police. He's a very funny guy, and one of my favourite drummers.

His father was an interesting person as well.

b_b  ·  1185 days ago  ·  link  ·

Also, Oysterhead kills The Police 100% of the time. Even though it was a short lived side project for all the members, they were a trip to see live. Copeland was the highest energy member, despite being the oldest. With him was a treat.

Dendrophobe  ·  1192 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Looking for good reads

I just finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It's a good science fiction novel, but it didn't really grab my attention until I got about halfway through and they explained what the main character's motivation was.

Yeah, I had no idea about the total amount of money raised, and had absolutely no faith in it having a notable effect.

I'm pretty happy to be wrong.

Shatto  ·  1206 days ago  ·  link  ·

Same, I was glad they were giving money but thought the actual challenge was kinda stupid and going overboard but it's what made it's go viral and helped them make so much

Dendrophobe  ·  1207 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Google could rig the 2016 election

Playing devils advocate, Google is the search engine. Yahoo, Bing, and DuckDuckGo together don't have the market share to pull this off. Baidu is the only other provider I can think of that could do something like this, but I don't think they have the same global reach that Google does. If you think someone can do something this important, it makes sense to me to name them.

That said, from your other post, it sure sounds like the author has an axe to grind.

Dendrophobe  ·  1213 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: MyEtherWallet: Open Source, JavaScript, Client-Side Ether Wallet (that I designed)

I really need to learn how all this stuff works. Etherium has piqued my interest over the last week, it seems like it could be big.

Dendrophobe  ·  1213 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Calvin and Markov - A Markov chain generator of Calvin and Hobbes strips

Yay!

Dendrophobe  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Calvin and Markov - A Markov chain generator of Calvin and Hobbes strips

Hm... I don't know more than the basics, really, but you can think of a Markov chain as being a directed graph (as in graph theory, not charts in Excel), with weighted edges like this. A and E are the two states, so if you're in state A, there's a 40% chance you'll move to state E, and a 60% chance you'll stay in state A.

If I'm not mistaken, it's related to Bayesian inference as well, since they both address the same basic question (If I know that X is true, what's the chance that Y will happen).

I hope that helps.

user-inactivated  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, definitely helps. Thanks very much.

Dendrophobe  ·  1213 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yay!

I was going to try Soylent when 2.0 was released. Now, I'm not so sure...

A Markov chain is a set of states. You can move from some of the states to other states, and there's a certain probability of the direction you will take.

For example, you might go for a walk regularly. After you're done walking, you either go home (75% chance) or go out for ice cream (25% chance). There are three states here - walking, home and ice cream. If I wanted to model your behavior, I could say "Okay, now they're walking. What do they do next?", roll some dice, and then decide if you went out for ice cream or went home after your walk.

With Markov chain text generators, the states are just individual words, and you transition from one word to another based on the probability that those two words appear together.

user-inactivated  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your explanation has made the most sense out of all the ones I've come across in the past month. If you wouldn't mind, to help my brain get a better grasp on this, in what classification/category does a Markov chain fall? Does it have parents, siblings, or strange friends with similar yet at the same time diverse interests?

Dendrophobe  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hope that helps.

user-inactivated  ·  1214 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, definitely helps. Thanks very much.

Dendrophobe  ·  1213 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yay!

Dendrophobe  ·  1216 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Challenge. Post the weirdest cover song you can find.

Dendrophobe  ·  1216 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: ‘Sesame Street’ to Air First on HBO for Next 5 Seasons

Because when I think of kid's shows, I think HBO.

Maybe they can have tie-ins to other franchises. Ernie and Bert attend their friend Robb's wedding. The Count tries a new blood substitute. Big Bird gets a temp job at a startup. Cookie monster moves to Baltimore and gets involved in the cookie trade...