CardboardLamp's comments
CardboardLamp  ·  954 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I FUCKING DID IT HUBSKI!!!

So are you a cameraman or a driver or...?

Also I feel like we've met before on husbki

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
CardboardLamp  ·  980 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The White Man Pathology: Sanders Vs. Trump

I'm going to have to agree with comments written on this article.

It seems like there's more and more self-guilting articles, where white people are bad. They're bad, and they all benefit from racism. But only white people are racist, so they only benefit. Being white is a sin, because you oppress people from how much you're profiting off of their work.

That's basically what I got from this article. Maybe I'm not-so-left, and maybe a reactionary right. Maybe I should depart off of hubski-island too.

CardboardLamp  ·  982 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear White America

I completely agree with this. If I'm not the one being racist, don't tell me that I'm part of it. If you believe something is racist, take it up to the people being racist and improve it. If you need help with that, ask anyone you want to help you out, but don't group me up because of my skin color and call me racist.

CardboardLamp  ·  990 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Beyond 'Serial': The 50 Best Podcast Episodes of 2015

I'm surprised Hello Internet isn't on there

CardboardLamp  ·  993 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Dear White America

I'm sorry but I still really don't get it. Perhaps I'm blinded by "my inner racist" or something, but this comment (from the article comments section) was most relatable to me:

As someone who is sympathetic to the struggles and conditions that many people, not just Black people, live with, I don't find this kind of "letter" to be particularly helpful, for several reasons.

First of all, it seems hypocritical to address all "White Americans" as if we all had the same attitudes, latent or expressed. Imagine the response, should someone write a letter titled "Dear Black America" and pointing out certain failings. People would say: Black people have different experiences, different attitudes, we aren't one homogenous group. And they would be right.

Secondly, and related, if people are really looking to change the world, it is far more effective to focus directly on problematic attitudes and behaviors themselves, rather than attributing them to some group and saying that the group must change. Every person, regardless of race, gender, or whatever other classification you want to choose, needs to look at themselves and see what about themselves needs improvement. We all need improvement because none of us is a perfect, but not because we're White or male.

It's simply not effective to make people feel that they are "wrong" in some way because of their classification, regardless of how prevalent certain attitudes might be within that group. The focus needs to be on the attitude or behavior itself.

and this:

I understand the concept of white privilege, and I understand how I benefit from the community actions, the set of assumptions made about me simply because I am an educated white person of the middle class. I fully understand how it is my responsibility to effect change, and that we are all under the onus of our own preconceptions. But responsibility is not guilt, and being white is not being racist.

I am a racist if my thoughts and actions make so, and only if my thoughts and actions make me so.

user-inactivated  ·  992 days ago  ·  link  ·

I actually agree with you here. I wasn't really sure what the point of this article was at all. It seemed like a long winded mix of two different types of protest signs:

"Fight racism with love"

and

"Fight racism with guilt"

Which are two really conflicting ideas.

CardboardLamp  ·  995 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are your guys thoughts on Japan re-militarizing?

I think with a falling birthrate, it'd be bad to get into a war since that's more stress on the man if they try to raise a family, aka less people getting married.

CardboardLamp  ·  996 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Watch me make a book

What are you going to use these books for?

rob05c  ·  996 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gifts. I've tried journaling by hand, I can't do it, it's too slow. I might keep one as a sketchbook; I've been wanting to learn comic-style drawing for a while now. But I doubt I'll have time anytime soon.

CardboardLamp  ·  1004 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Any hubski users here into language learning?

Nah, I want to develop a language based on my Lampism cult.

This is the OP, highly encouraged to read so you guys get the full context

I don't believe ThatFanficGuy meant that people were ignorant and misguided. I believe he means that we are more efficient if organized (like cattle). It is easier to control a group of people so that they can survive than to let them all do their own thing.

From what I understand, religion started around 10,000 BCE, right after the development of Agriculture. As villages formed, people needed a leader to guide them so that they can organize efficiently to survive and harvest crops, while fending off danger. Law (through religion) was created to keep order, and myths were created to explain how the world around the people worked. As ThatFanficGuy said,

|Some people also enjoy abusing the power a religion often grants. Thus, come priests (who, let's face it, aren't always the benevolent wisemen we see in fiction); thus, come bishops; thus, comes Pope and other such figures - the "representatives of God on Earth", those who can "hear God's will" and so forth. If a lightning strikes a tree and everyone's terrified, it's the easiest of opportunities to seize their attention and wield their minds: come forth and declare "Lo! The All-Capable One spoke to me! He declared us wrong-doers! We must now repent! Chastize, brothers and sisters!". Case solved; flock organized.

Lastly, keep in mind how religion often circumvents attempts at logical explanation. I'm now going to overly simplify human nature for the sake of an example. Those affected deeply by the religious outlook (God made things, God takes things, I am a servant of His, I shall earn for good and be punished for bad etc.) will hardly if ever admit that there's often a more logical, reasonable explanation to whatever happened.

This abuse of religion to gain power ensured the leaders who were keeping the villages organized a luxurious life. It may have also been used to convince people they invaded and captured in other villages, as kingdoms and empires formed. Religious significance = Power back in the day, as seen in Mesopotamia and Egypt.

Half of the Religion wiki page is Modern issues, Reference section, and a very brief explanation of the very major religions. The main part of what Religion is and how it works can be summarized in say, the 1/3 of the article. It is true that religion benefited older civilzations when it came to survival, however I have say I believe it was the power of controlling people that religion brought together people under one ruler (the village/kingdom/empire leader). Divine Right of Kings.

I believe your point on group identity also falls under the above, like nationalism, even though they are being controlled by a leader, they get the feeling that they are special and are an important part of their society as they are taught so.

user-inactivated  ·  1004 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah. That's about when organized religion started to come about. Archaeologists have found evidence of religious behavior in pre-historic societies as well though in cave paintings, burial sites, totems, etc. A really interesting discussion can be had about the whole bit, partly because we don't know exactly what pre-historic man was up to and partly because it's easy to argue about how many items of religious elements and concepts you would need to have before something can be considered a "religion." Personally, I tend to think pre-historic practices count because I think that if we say that they don't, then we're saying that folk religions don't count as legitimate religions.

Did you see the link I provided insomniasexx about The Moabite Stone? I love that little piece of rock. It really is a great piece of history that provides some insight into how the beliefs of older civilizations often tied in with their interpretation of current and political events. The Moabite Stone isn't the only artifact that illustrates this, but for some reason it's the easiest one for me to remember.

Absolutely. For better or worse, religion really was a potent form of early propaganda.

maybe something like #rd95vsTFG ? or #talkreligion?

I'm not really sure.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  1004 days ago  ·  link  ·

#rd95vsTFG

It ain't a fight and neither it is between the two of us, so I don't support this one. #talkreligion seems to fit nicely. rd95, what do you think?

user-inactivated  ·  1004 days ago  ·  link  ·

I like #talkreligion. It's simple and inclusive. I'll swap out one of the tags now.

CardboardLamp  ·  1003 days ago  ·  link  ·

neato

CardboardLamp  ·  1005 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is the story behind your username?

I just recently started this username series (Mr Lamp) and it's because of an inside-joke with friends that turned into a religion. I am the god of that religion. Lampism.