ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  211 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

Last night I decided I would rather spend time with the girl I've started seeing than go on a run, or climbing, or whatever else. I think that's about all I need to say this week.

ButterflyEffect  ·  260 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 2, 2018

Spent last week in Utah, and am currently reading Desert Solitaire. Putting together a five year plan which involves a year on the road/in parks but maybe I'm just a bit too influenced by recent events.

Edit: left my rental car lights on all night and now the car battery is dead. Awesome start to a work trip.

blackbootz  ·  260 days ago  ·  link  ·

What's it like making a five year plan?

ButterflyEffect  ·  260 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's kind of an out of body experience, seeing line items dated "2022" is a good way of disconnecting yourself from yourself.

I don't know how much I believe in this kind of planning, maybe it's more academic than anything else. At the least, it's a snapshot of where my mind wanders when thinking about the future.

_refugee_  ·  259 days ago  ·  link  ·

I won’t gush into details but I’ve made 5 year plans on and off with mostly limited attention to them afterwards since I was 19.

A year or so ago I realized that all my big goals id laid out in such? The big ones; the pinnacle ones?

Somehow, I’d achieved. Or was on track to do so. (Still am, in fact.)

This year I’m working the most ultra version of a 5 year plan I’ve ever made, and I’m actually working it. The internet helped me break the big wide category of “life” down into about 8 sub vectors to help direct my goals. I’ve got fleshed out 1 year goals for all of them. (The further out you go in time the harder I find it to make real hard dependable goals, so my plan gets sparse after 2 year or so, but I do have goals up to the 5 year mark. Just fewer and fewer.)

I took those big goals and every month I’ve been breaking down the process of how to get there with littler goals. I track most of ‘em with my handy tracker app; some don’t need it, some do. I check in on how I’m doing - supposedly every week but really more like every other. I assess how I’m doing and if I’m on track at mid month. I note the date I achieve a monthly goal if it’s discretely achievable. Goals I try at but don’t achieve I push to next month. I try to break everything down into measurable, concrete actions which I can clearly see how they tie back to my big goals.

If this sounds really awful, “fun” is one of the 8 sub categories. And I’m the one who sets the goals based on the person I thought about and decided I wanted to be, and the things I thought about and decided I wanted to achieve for myself. So sure it sounds like school or project management...but everything is for myself. So why would it be awful? To do the work to achieve the great and wonderful things?

Dude I fucking love it. It feels great. I know what I’m doing and more importantly I see why and how it’s gojng to help get me where I really want to go. I’ve started meal planning both as part of one of my goals and also because...order and planning and this sort of structure, turns out, are really good for me. At least better than the lifestyle I was living.

I try really hard to observe what naturally works well for me and use that to make my goals easier. I want to figure out some kind of incentive structure to help reward when I hit my goals but haven’t yet because I didn’t want it to be food or alcohol related and giving myself spending money just doesn’t make a really decent incentive. ESP as a primary goal is saving right now.

Just achieving the goals, turns out, feels good enough to keep me going. In my down time sometimes I try to research how to do this stuff better (I didn’t come up with those life sub categories on my own) too.

Doooooo eettttttt. Babies aren’t the only ones who benefit from structure and routine.

i keep the whole bundle in a folder which just keeps getting huger and huger

blackbootz  ·  258 days ago  ·  link  ·

This is awesome ref. What are the 8 subcategories that help you think about what needs goal-defining? Are they the items under the MY PLAN heading in the photo?

I've also found that when I look over old journals or wishlists, a lot of what's written under the "goals" heading are either 1) still goals or 2) accomplished since. It seems that goal-setting (or dissatisfaction with the present, depending on how you look at it) is a persistent state. And the joy of completing goals is fleeting. When I take stock, there's a lot to be happy about. But there's always something more. Is there anything more to goal-setting than the exercise of spinning the wheel? (That's a bit tongue in cheek)

oyster  ·  260 days ago  ·  link  ·

involves a year on the road/in parks

#vanlife

WanderingEng  ·  260 days ago  ·  link  ·

Does that mean you're going to live in a van? I follow lint_hikes on Instagram. He sometimes lives in a van. I believe he's a triple triple crowner.

ButterflyEffect  ·  260 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hah, yes I do! Multiple van dwellers, I think.

A van certainly isn't out of the possibility.

ButterflyEffect  ·  344 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: February 7, 2018

Good for you, dude. This isn't a competition of who has the more fucked up body.

nowaypablo  ·  344 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think "Cry me a fuckin' river" was not meant to be a statement of contest, so much as suggesting a perspective. That said, both kb's response and your reaction had me cackling.

ButterflyEffect  ·  344 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's really grating because I'm already going to the gym 2x-3x a week, doing some exercises at home 5x a week, and, you know, have been strength training for over a year now. Because that's my only option. Saying "cry me a fuckin' river" assumes I'm not already or haven't already been trying to work through this shit. I am working hard at this, and already realize I have to work harder than most people to achieve similar results.

nowaypablo  ·  344 days ago  ·  link  ·

Look kleinbl00 was harsh in diction, but nobody here is actually trying to put you down. Anyone can tell from your post that you're working hard and care about your progress.

^^^^^^^

oyster  ·  344 days ago  ·  link  ·

You would both lose, my body is fucked and I can't even bury my sorrow in gluten filled baked goods. I know that feeling though of being stuck. This is the best descriptions of what I see when I drive or as I more recently found out snowboard at a decent speed. Only difference is it's more grey/white and my eyes are open.

Just click it I don't know how to do this stupid picture shit. I'll figure out a way around it just like I found ice climbing when I couldn't do regular rock climbing. You'll find a way to overcome whatever problem you've got.

ButterflyEffect  ·  408 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fine art to topple fine wine in 2017 luxury investment

Hope you come back :(

ButterflyEffect  ·  442 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 1, 2017

God damn, Pubski. It's not even Wednesday for those of us on the West Coast.

I feel filled with resentment these past couple of days. It could be this nasty cold/flu bullshit that's kept me out of just about everything this past week, or whatever week throat/gland issues are going on and having a lot of anxiety about getting imaging done to check it out, but I'm kind of angry. Resentful. I don't really enjoy music much anymore. Used to a lot. But there are a lot of things I've done and said that have taken the enjoyment away from me. A lot of things others have done and said that have assisted with taking that away from me. Living in a place where the scene is actually really lame and self-indulgent, and not wanting to go to Seattle every other week to catch a show, makes it hard to give a shit. And I miss giving a shit, just a little bit. Just enough to think about it too much. Feeling resentful expands past just this, I think, but that's the only part of it I really feel like sharing.

Reclaiming Conversation is also making me freak-the-fuck-out about the way we interact with each other and hoooooooly shit does it make me even more aggravated at the way people try and make plans with each other. I'm getting better with calling people, trying to see them face-to-face. But it's a constant, uphill, sisyphean struggle when nobody else gives a shit about the way they interact with another human being.

lil  ·  442 days ago  ·  link  ·

I just summoned Reclaiming Conversation from library. Sounds like it should be required reading for everyone. Ironically I'm writing this in an online forum.

But, Lil, it's Hubski- the haunted house of all your hopeful homies.

Yes, I know, but bfx is full of resentment and congestion today, and isn't finding joy in music.
Yes, and you love bfx and hate to see him sinking into negativity.

I have to leave and go to another city and look people in the eye. But I'll check back into the pub later. I hope you kill that cold.

Turkle doesn't have a whole lot of truck with places like Hubski. Life on the Screen, the 2nd in the trilogy, is all about identity play and how important it is to discovering self. Her primary beef is with the short-term, context-free missives one gets from places like Facebook, MySpace etc.

Lil - you have the patience and the insight to enjoy the books in their publication order. The Second Self was written in '84 and revised in 2013. It largely deals with "huh. Computers are something new on this earth and we react to them differently." Life on the Screen is basically "we have created a new way to interact with each other and it is not like the way we have always interacted." Alone Together is basically "this new technology we created is a poor substitute for what we used to have but because of how it's designed, we use it as if it's just as good" while Reclaiming Conversation is basically "so the end is here, there's nothing we can do about it, except there sort of is, try this."

EDIT: It occurs to me that you teach comp sci people to communicate for a living, meaning Turkle is someone you should be able to quote to me, not the other way 'round. She's basically made a career at MIT studying the basis for your career. She was one of the people behind Kismet, for example:

lil  ·  441 days ago  ·  link  ·

While perhaps I should be able to quote Turkle to you, I'm glad that, for now, it's the other way around. Thank you for the summary. I'm NYT Book Review familiar with the books, but haven't read them. I imagine there's a TED talk somewhere I should watch.

I imagine there's a book somewhere you should read

lil  ·  440 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yes, yes, oh yes. A lot of them.

ButterflyEffect  ·  441 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks for your comment, lil. I think you'll enjoy that book quite a bit, Hubski avoids a lot of the issues brought up in it. Feeling a bit better spiritually and physically today. Funny that I make that initial comment and then get invited to a concert that's this weekend.

ButterflyEffect  ·  520 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 16, 2017

I wasn't prepared to whine about my life for another day, dammit, Pubski!

Went to a music festival this past weekend in Missoula. It was a special experience, perfect size crowd-wise, everybody was having a good time including the bands. I kept running into interesting people and the musicians themselves since it wasn't some massive "Coachella-esque" festival. And I'm single again, so that's a thing for the better, I think.

ButterflyEffect  ·  561 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: July 5th, 2017

Good Things

I'm moving at the end of the month. I'm going to Jasper and Banff in 10 days. I signed up for a crazy trail relay race next month. I went to Bellingham for the first time and liked it a lot.

Bad Things

This foot injury is progressing slower than I would like, though it is progressing. Has me a bit nervous for all the hiking coming up and I'm not running nearly as much as I would like.

oyster  ·  561 days ago  ·  link  ·

What's the day we are going hiking ? I need to book it off.

ButterflyEffect  ·  561 days ago  ·  link  ·

Friday the 21st or Saturday the 22nd, take your pick.

oyster  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'll book off both and see what I get. Saturday could always be for resting legs and day drinking outside. If it's nice we could go to the lake ( only none glacier fed lake here so only place that's swimmable for extended periods of time) and float around. It's normally not too busy.

ButterflyEffect  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm so down for day drinking and not strenuous things, as I will probably be a bit out of it by that point.

oyster  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you've got a floaty bring it. The water is really nice but you still can't stay in it fully for too long.

flagamuffin  ·  561 days ago  ·  link  ·

i want to know how banff is. are you driving? flying? what's around there? how do i vacation there? these are questions i've had on the backburner for about a decade.

rezzeJ  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

I spent three weeks in Canada in 2014. We were around the Jasper and Banff are for around half of that.

Rather than Banff directly, we stayed in nearby Canmore. There's loads of awesome hikes to do in the surrounding area. And if you go up to the Nordic Centre in the summer, you can hire bikes and go around all the cross-country skiing trails. I definitely recommend a hike up to the ink pots in the Banff National Park.

It's such a beautiful area and it's my favourite holiday I've had in my life so far. I would not hesitate at the opportunity to go back. You can read my trip report for a bit more information and pictures :).

veen  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

Funny, I ended up on skis for the first time at the Canmore Nordic Centre back when I was in Calgary.

So many great hikes there. Should've done more! ButterflyEffect, Kananaskis County has a few gorgeous hikes:

ButterflyEffect  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

Now that's a good looking peak. There's an amazing amount of hikes out there, any plans to revisit in the future?

veen  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've been lucky to go there twice already, but I'd go back in a heartbeat. My dream is to do an epic East Coast / PNW / BC / AB road trip. Start in Yosemite, end in Edmonton.

rezzeJ  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

Count me in! That would be incredible.

flagamuffin  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

oh wow. this is on the list now. so you can mountain bike on the ski trails when there's no snow? i can't think of anything i'd rather do, assuming there's beer involved at some point.

rezzeJ  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

so you can mountain bike on the ski trails when there's no snow?

Exactly. As far as I can remember there's a various levels of day passes. The most basic let's you follow the main trail which is fully tarmac. The next ones up allow you to go off road and down smaller and more wild tracks. It's basically a number of different circuits with various offshoots:

Though I didn't get to check them out too much as my brother went over the handlebars before we had a chance. They looked awesome from what I saw. There's also a small dirt park next to the main center building.

Re: the beer. There's a number of great places to drink and eat in town, which is only about a 20 minute walk from the trails. I can remember a pretty rad brewery pub we went to.

flagamuffin  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

alright. 2019 here i come!

ButterflyEffect  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

are you driving?

Yes. It's ~10.5 hours to Jasper from here, then another couple down to Banff from there.

flying?

No, though I suppose you could fly into Calgary and drive from there.

what's around there?

Jasper National Park, Banff National Park, Yoho National Park, Kootenay National Park. Lake Louise, the town of Banff, uhm maybe other things that I'm 100% unaware of (likely lots of this).

how do i vacation there?

Option 1: Go daycamping or backpacking through yonder woods.

Option 2: Find a hostel, room, or couch in the Lake Louise area and go exploring!

I'll likely have more valuable input at the end of this month.

flagamuffin  ·  560 days ago  ·  link  ·

i guess you're camping just based on what you usually do but i'd be very curious about the hostel situation up there. i get cheapish flights to calgary sometimes.

lemme know

ButterflyEffect  ·  559 days ago  ·  link  ·

Apparently there's a bunch of hostels scattered about the area. Who knew.

oyster  ·  558 days ago  ·  link  ·

Truly a mystery.

ButterflyEffect  ·  659 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: March 29, 2017

Finally made a decision on a vacation...going to Missoula, MT for this amazing music festival. I think The Decemberists saw what Wilco have been doing with Solid Sound and decided to put on their own version of that. I'm pretty okay with it, considering it's a helluva lot closer. thenewgreen where should I look into staying around town? Never been to Missoula but there's a pretty sweet looking hostel.

Anyway, PR'd my 5k time two of the last three weeks. I'm still slow, but I'm finally hitting < 24 minutes for a 5k, and am on a fairly set running and weight lifting regiment. Between that and the "not drinking this month" thing, I haven't had much to talk about, really. Feels like I'm a boring individual human bean when people ask me what I've been doing. Guess it's hard to explain. For some reason a 4-mile mud run in a park doesn't seem like an amazing time to some people. Also, compression tights are really, really fucking comfortable.

I need to do a better job with nutrition, though, between work and all the fitness stuff it's hard to find the time to make a good meal before 8pm, which is later than I really want to be eating. Once the Farmer's Markets start back up that should make things a bit easier.

thenewgreen  ·  659 days ago  ·  link  ·

I wouldn't have the faintest on where to stay. I haven't been there in over 15 years. If it's still around, you have to get JJ's chicken fried steak, at the Oxford. late night after the bar. It will taste like ass unless its after 2-am.

Also, if it still exists, the Eastgate lounge had a pretty damn good jukebox.

You should get out of Missoula and head up to glacier national Park. It's only a few hours north. The drive there is pretty amazing too. Flathead Lake is every bit as beautiful as Lake Tahoe.

I don't have a lot of time right now, I'm sure there's much more I could suggest.

The Decembrists are Colin Malloy's band, right? He had a band when I was at the University of Montana called Tarkio. They were the most popular band in town back then. I'm not surprised his concert is in Missoula.

What venue?

flagamuffin  ·  659 days ago  ·  link  ·

i solved my vacation ambiguity by impulsively buying a ticket to baja

yours looks fun as hell

ButterflyEffect  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 14, 2016

Had this weird moment a few days ago where I just felt...happy and in the moment. Was at a bar with some friends before one went on a few week vacation, and just felt very in tune with everything, it's really hard to describe but I had absolutely no feelings of anxiety, wasn't thinking much, and just enjoying the conversation and the way I was feeling at that time. This partially carried over to the next day, but I think it's getting to the point where because of everything that has happened this year, it's easier to be happy and appreciate what I do have. Especially physically now that I'm back to heavy running.

As a birthday present I took myself to a welding course at a local fab lab. Really glad I did it, wouldn't mind practicing more often but I'm not really sure how to go about that shy of getting a membership at a Fabrication Lab somewhere. Look at how ugly these welds are! (Note: I have never touched a welder prior to last night)

steve  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

once at large dinner with friends... I had this same sensation... it was like I floated outside of my body and could look down on the situation with pure joy and "presentness".

strangely - as I looked around the table, I happened to look at mike and after discussing it later - we were both having similar, happy-in-the-moment-completely-present moments. Crazy synchronicity.

Cherish that... it's a beautiful thing. but like remembering a dream - the harder I search for moments like that - the quicker they flee away.

mike  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

Aaahhh... yes I remember that. And I remember realizing that steve was also in the same moment. It's good to remember these moments, and cherish them as they happen.

ButterflyEffect  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's carried over since that day, to some extent I don't feel quite like the same person I was and the only thing I can somewhat attribute it to is all the running/fitness as of late...which half-serves as a meditative 30-60 minutes and release of endorphins/what-have-you.

No need to search for it, that's for sure. Which is how I feel about a lot of things right now.

OftenBen  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think I might be figuring out what it's like to be alive and not constantly at war with myself.

It's pretty damn awesome. Keep up that personal growth and satisfaction.

Happy Belated

flac  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh shit, that sounds like a really cool thing to work on learning! Were the pieces all pre-cut, or did you do that as well?

ButterflyEffect  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

They were pre-cut HOWEVER! the same place offers a course in plasma cutting which I fully intend on taking the next time they offer it.

mknod  ·  764 days ago  ·  link  ·

NICE!

ButterflyEffect  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 31, 2016

guys gals guys gals I quit both radio stations I'm outie. I'm trying to shift from doing things for a sense of achievement and feather in my cap mentality, and to keep my mind occupied, to doing them for enjoyment. There's a few things I'm trying out, joined a volleyball league that starts in a month, thinking about a banned books reading group...things like that. It feels good.

user-inactivated  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dunno if you saw my last post but I am also doing volleyball, not in a league or anything but with a group of buds.

It's fucking awesome, especially as you learn to jump better.

If you wanna get more hype about the sport you should totally (puts on weeb cap) watch Haikyuu!!

Even if you don't like anime shit, watch Haikyuu!!

Like seriously, look at this opening, tell me you don't want these guys you've never even seen before to win:

I recommend this show to anyone who wants to get into sports anime, or anime period, it's some good siht.

ButterflyEffect  ·  868 days ago  ·  link  ·

WHERE CAN I WATCH THIS WOW

user-inactivated  ·  868 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you can justify it (i.e watch enough anime for it), via a crunchyroll membership.

Alternative, here: http://www.gogoanime.to/category/haikyuu!!

_refugee_  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

OK so, I'm really interested in getting into volleyball, but I can't see this as a viable undertaking without like, six friends getting all into one place at once. Minimum on the "six" part. Do you guys have any advice on that? Are you finding it possible to do with less? Because getting 6 of my friends to arrange their schedules all in tandem regularly at once....it's difficult. I can think of 4 I could get at once without too much trouble, but more than that....We're busy folx, mang.

user-inactivated  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

You could do a 2v2 variant as well. It's basically beach volleyball but can still be fun. And then you don't have to get 6 to 12 people together.

ButterflyEffect  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

The league I'm joining has "free agents" that get placed onto teams to make the six person team complete. That's what I did, and there are a lot of people that go down that road. Maybe there's something similar where you are.

veen  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

I sent Haikyuu to the only person I know whose interests are both volleybal and anime. He just watched the first episode and loved it, so thanks!

kantos  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've seen a lot of .gif's of sports anime and haven't gotten into the genre yet. Though, I do know they can be wicked intense and phenomenally animated to make the action more interesting than real life - the point of most all action anime... cough. Anyways, thanks for this, would you have a couple others to recommend by any sort? Gotta gain a healthy repetoire. :D

In another strain of genre's and series I have yet to finish, Your Lie In April is an amazing music-centric anime. It's more so geared at the classical crowd which is why I was more able to pick up on Devac's piece's as a refresher, hehe. Still phenomenal. Highly recommended.

Possible Cumol? It's definitely a different sort, and you're probably tired from the suggestions or just getting a bigger list of anime's to watch. :P

Man I veered off-topic here.

Cumol  ·  851 days ago  ·  link  ·

Your Lie in April. After reading it here I am hooked now. It wakes up my 5 years of piano playing as a child, thank you <3

kantos  ·  850 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm super happy to read they really are of interest to you! It's truly an amazing series; makes me wish I picked up violin. Enjoy <3

When and if things settle down, I highly recommend the series to Devac as well.

Devac  ·  849 days ago  ·  link  ·

I might look at it later, but I was never a fan of that romanticized view of musicians who almost literally pour their soul into their art. I know that such persons exist, but as someone who grew up surrounded by people that treat it just as a skill like any other… it's almost alien.

Here's a good example: I have played Megalovania from Undertale game soundtrack and it turned out to be nearly perfect despite being almost 150% the intended speed, played in one go and without notes. Was that some musicians rush? Not really, but it invoked a lot of frustrations at the fight where it got burned into my head from having it replayed over and over again when I was sitting at it, failing again and again against Sans. Here are the first five hours out of something close to thirteen hours worth of consecutive battles against him done by YouTuber Laura Kate.

kantos  ·  845 days ago  ·  link  ·

If it wasn't for the explicit statement, I would have thought it came from the track itself. With regard to the storyline - for whatever it's worth - the main character is disenchanted from music due to the rigor with which their obsessive mother abused him over to perfect. To start, it's more of a story of overcoming PTSD to the tune of learning to appreciate music for what it is with a romantic aspect to it (the one who teaches him is a female musician his age). Whether you watch it or not is your call, but of course, I recommend it. :)

Devac  ·  844 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would have thought it came from the track itself.

Ach, sorry. I know that's an unfair stereotype, that anime will always devolve to unlocking your hidden powers of friendship to kill gods/become the best/catching them all, but after checking a few clips from it on YouTube I was left with a vastly different impression to what you wrote. If it has a reasonably priced OST I'm likely to buy it though.

user-inactivated  ·  869 days ago  ·  link  ·

Best Sports Anime:

Hajime No Ippo (Boxing)

Ping Pong the Animation

Kurko No Basket (Basketball)

That should last you a while.

Best Music Anime:

Nodame Cantabile

Sakamichi no Apollon

Beck

K-on (it's barely about the music but it issss cute as fuck so I'm throwing it in)

I've heard HIbeki Euphonium is good but besides K-On I try to ignore moe shit so YMMV

Interstellar 5555 (zing)

kantos  ·  868 days ago  ·  link  ·

saves

Much obliged. :)

Cumol  ·  845 days ago  ·  link  ·

We need to compile a list. Wiki feature anyone? thenewgreen ;)

ButterflyEffect  ·  949 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: June 12, 2016 Orlando Nightclub Shooting, discussion

I just came from a meeting today, in the situation room, in which I've got people who we know have been on ISIL web sites, living here in the United States—US citizens. And we're allowed to put them on the "No fly" list when it comes to airlines, but because of the National Rifle Association, I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun. This is somebody who is a known ISIL sympathizer and if he wants to walk into a gun store or a gun show right now, and buy as many weapons and ammo as he can, nothing's prohibiting him from doing that, even though the FBI knows who that person is.

- President Barack Obama, on June 1st, 2016. That said, completely agree with mk (though I do think gun control can be improved on. Social engagement and mental health improvements are so, so important.

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

That pesky Constitution, making our lives more difficult.

What saddens me almost as much as the shooting itself is how it shows just how weak and craven our society has become. We're all about talking about how "free" we are, but as soon as it might cost us anything, all that goes out the window. If we as a country decide we'd rather live in a full-on police state, that's one thing, but let's not then pretend we're doing anything else.

ButterflyEffect  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Y'all are making this ridiculous jump from "all the guns" to "none of the guns" while blatantly ignoring the area "in between the guns!". It worked in Australia, it could work here if we had the political and societal willpower to do so. But we clearly don't, because guns are important to the point where it's easier for me to buy enough guns and ammunition to cause large scale damage than it is to rent an apartment to sustain myself.

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

As I said elsewhere, Australia's homicide rate remained basically unchanged after their restrictions in 1996.

The problem with this argument is it's like saying restrictions on free speech or more lax warrant requirements are fine because we're not totally restricting free speech, and we still sometimes require a warrant. I mean, I get that some people may disagree with the 2nd Amendment's presence in our constitution, but the whole point of having a constitution in the first place is because we don't want the government to be able to pick and choose. You can't applaud the First, Fourth, Fifth, whatever amendments but then say we should ignore the Second.

I'm fine with some more restrictions on gun ownership/purchasing within reason, but that's not what I was talking about. The President's statements are that we should be able to arbitrary restrict a constitutional right based on associations with people we don't like. Sure, Daesh is pretty much the worst. But what happens when someone down the road says "remember how bad Daesh was? Well, these Communists/Liberals/Gays/Transgendered/Blondes are just as bad!"

galen  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man, fuck the Constitution. "It's in the Constitution" should not be a valid argument for keeping things the way they are. I know some might think I'm a heretic or whatever but I think we should decide the laws that we want to uphold in our nation. The fact that some racist assholes thought 250 years ago that folks oughta have muskets is not enough to prove to me that the government shouldn't regulate assault fucking rifles. Maybe it's time for another amendment. But even that's not necessary:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

is vague enough to accommodate regulation anyway. In fact, that's the whole point. It was written vaguely because our Founding Fathers couldn't agree one way or another so they basically left it up to their descendants. So what did we do? Just assumed they meant what we wanted them to instead of actually considering the issue for ourselves.

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Man, fuck the Constitution.

Guess you won't mind if the police walk into your house and start rifling through it, then?

is vague enough to accommodate regulation anyway.

Of course. But that's not what Obama was saying, and so that's not what I was criticizing.

galen  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm not saying let's get rid of the Constitution. I'm saying a policy being in the Constitution is not an acceptable defense for its continued enforcement.

But that's not what Obama was saying, and so that's not what I was criticizing.

Except it is? He's not saying get rid of all the guns, right? So it's not prohibition. Gotta be regulation.

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, the warrant requirement is in the Constitution too. If that's not an "acceptable defense for its continued enforcement," what is, exactly?

Except it is? He's not saying get rid of all the guns, right?

No, but what he is saying is that one right (guaranteed by the Second Amendment) is subject to having "gone to an ISIS website." I'm sure I've been to some shady websites during my time on the Internet, does that mean my Constitutional rights are less than yours?

galen  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, not like legal justification. The justification for it continuing to be law. Basically I'm saying don't take further amendment off the table.

That's beside the point. I'm just saying guns can be regulated, which is what Obama suggests. You said that wasn't what he said.

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Basically I'm saying don't take further amendment off the table.

That's fine, and that's how it should work. But in the meantime we can't pretend that it doesn't exist because we don't agree with it.

I'm just saying guns can be regulated, which is what Obama suggests.

I was referring to his statements about the no-fly list versus gun purchasing.

snoodog  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

This was also my point before I got muted into oblivion. I'm glad there are other sane minds out here that agree with this point.
galen  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not suggesting we should.

I was referring to his statements about the no-fly list versus gun purchasing.

A type of regulation?

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

But a regulation based on free speech and association. You know, the kind guaranteed in by the First Amendment?

galen  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

Not tryna defend the specific suggestion. Just saying don't discount regulation only because it's regulation.

johnnyFive  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm definitely not, and don't think we should (discount all regulation, that is). But all I was saying before was that the specific things Obama suggested were not what we should be looking at.

galen  ·  948 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's fair then.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1093 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 20, 2016

Feels like I have nothing of interest to say to anyone right now and most of my thoughts come across as too bitter or callous towards anything that people care about and will only result in nonconstructive argument or disappointment on my end. I don't know, in a "falling off the grid" or "how can I reconcile being around all these 'professional' or 'tech' or 'engineers' or what-have-you" when my values and interests and your values and interests aren't the same thing and deep down I just want to mock this entire thing for the absurdity that it is.

Sigh.

That just shows you're paying attention. Frustration is the step before resolution.

bfv  ·  1093 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think engineering is more stable, but it's a frustrating time to be a techy. We come from the counterculture and academia. We're at our best when we're talking more Whole Earth Catalog/Mondo 2000 than Fast Company/Wired, which means we're at our best when VCs and other business types aren't part of the conversation. HN should never have become the central watering hole, and silicon valley needs to stop being the center of the world.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1093 days ago  ·  link  ·

silicon valley needs to stop being the center of the world

thenewgreen brought up a similar sentiment during our IRC earlier this week, completely agree with both of you. I went to college with numerous Computer Science, Software Engineer, etc. students who had their eyes set on Silicon Valley and only Silicon Valley. It's...culti-ish and kind of unsettling.

We come from the counterculture and academia.

This is way more interesting to me. I'm at my best working with other creatives and on a smaller, local level trying to make change or bring something new or at least different to communities. What that looks like depends on too many factors to list.

ButterflyEffect  ·  1113 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The State of Hubski: 2015

#stateofthebfx

Currently drinking a coffee in cgods shop. It's nice. The coffee is good. There's a line now.

mk  ·  1113 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hell yeah! Tell cgod I said hi!

flagamuffin  ·  1113 days ago  ·  link  ·

cgod have you gone the 'put for-sale art on the walls thus giving your place atmosphere and providing a display space for broke artists' route yet?

cgod  ·  1113 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup, there is art for sale on my wall.

I hope to have different kinds of stuff up over time.

I'd like to do an all crayon show and a kid art show.

I think the wife and I will make some colored panels to put up for a break some day

ButterflyEffect  ·  1177 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: How will history judge us part 3

"Were profits really more important than the future of our environment?"

"Why did people dislike other races and sexualities and why did they provide them lesser rights?"

"Lil B really was the based god."

ButterflyEffect  ·  1179 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: REI is closing on Black Friday... and paying their employees anyway.

REI rules. Their flagship store in Seattle is amazing and all the ones out here offer so many classes and opportunities to interact with other people in the community.

It's definitely your expected "white dude with dreads/scraggly hair" vibe at times but it's worth it. I hope we see continued growth in the form of co-ops.

WanderingEng  ·  1179 days ago  ·  link  ·

I was buying new running shoes at REI a couple months ago and struck up a brief conversation with a guy in line. He saw my box of shoes and commented that he likes REI for footwear because they don't carry anything bad. I've thought about it since, and I think it's true overall. If REI sells it, you can be reasonably confident it's a good piece of gear. And if you talk to the employees, they'll help you figure out if it's right for you. They really do rule.

And the outside rules. I think companies like REI help make it more accessible to cubical drones like me.

#membersince1991

thenewgreen  ·  1179 days ago  ·  link  ·

#internationalbrilliantmarketingday

We've been members for a while too. There is no store more dangerous for me to enter... except maybe Guitar Center. -A store on the opposite end of the integrity spectrum.

user-inactivated  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

Guitar Center

You should hunt around and see if you can't find a mom and pop music store. Chances are they'll be more friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful overall.

randomuser  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

The big issue with this is price difference. I hate guitar center, but there is nowhere else I can get a $1700 pair of monitors for ~$500 due to working discounts and shit because guitar center definitely does not have their shit together. Plus I would feel bad working a ma and pop business like that, lol.

steve  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

The big issue with this is price difference.

Too right. I get my kids' piano sheet music from a mom and pop place that's been around for ages. So last time we're in there, I decide to poke around the guitar and home studio section. I see one of these on a shelf in plastic wrap - not in the box. There's a note on the top that says "30% off - Water damage to box - unit New and undamaged". They had had a roof leak a few months previous. I picked it up and sure enough, the unit and all associated manuals, cables and disks were still in their plastic - just sans box. I rolled it over - thinking "I've been meaning to get something like this" only to roll to the price tag.

$139

So wait... mom... pop... you want me to spend $40 (40% more) than the going price at ANY number of retailers? There's a line I gotta cross. I love mom and pop... but 40% for less is a hard pill to swallow. I gently put the unit back on the shelf and went back to drooling at the Gretsch on the wall.

randomuser  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah there's a line for me and 40% is way over that line.

user-inactivated  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hmm. Yeah. When it comes to extreme deals like that, I can see why you would go to Guitar Center. Though, for more mundane things, like speaker wire or guitar picks, a mom and pop shop could do just fine. There can be other types of perks for shopping at places like them, besides finances. When you become a regular, they really start to keep an eye out for you, often going out of their way to make sure you're happy.

thenewgreen  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

The problem with Guitar Center, and why it is dangerous is that I'm liable to spend $500 there, when all I wanted to do was buy guitar picks.

That said, I can afford to pay 40% more for guitar strings and picks but a lot of musicians cannot. Mom and pop stores are way, way more marked up than guitar center. It sucks, but that's reality.

Also, Gibson and Fender refuse to give mom and pop stores their best product. All of those go to guitar center and mom and pops get the left over bullshit nobody wants to buy. Also, Gibson will mandate a purchase minimum or insist that you buy x number of shitty guitars for every Les Paul they allow you to sell. They're dicks. Every mom and pop hates Gibson. But they play well.

Also, most mom-and-pop stores can't compete with the comprehensive inventory guitar center has. That's why it's so damn dangerous for me to go there.

But really, the truth is that if I walk in to any music related store, or even pawn shop, I'm going to leave having purchased something. Guitar center just tends to have more expensive "somethings" that I leave with.

user-inactivated  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

Holy shit. The music store industry seems to be run by assholes. Any idea how that happened?

steve  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

money

greed

the same thing that happens to most industries, governments, etc.

hey! Listen to my optimism!

user-inactivated  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

Listen to my optimism!

Careful now. Such cheerfulness is catching.

randomuser  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

Gibson has gone waaaaay downhill over the past 15 years or so. My '85 epiphone shits tonally on any Gibson you don't spend over $4k on. Martin is doing the same thing, hands down best acoustic guitars in the world if you wanna spend $6k+ on them up to ~200k. But there are brands like maton and Cole Clark in au that make acoustics that sound better than 99% of the $1-5k martin and lower end Taylor's.

It seems your issue with guitar center is more that they have such good deals that you buy stuff you don't need/want(which is pretty standard I think for musicians in music stores). I go into guitar center all the time and don't buy anything. I'll go in to test new synths or guitars that come out and if I want to buy them I'll try to find a used source in the area. The great thing about living in la s that there's tons of money and kids who want to learn 50 instruments they never follow through on, and for some reason mom and dad bought them a les Paul studio lol. Also, prs sound way better than new Gibsons so there's that option as well for the ma and pop shops, lol.

randomuser  ·  1178 days ago  ·  link  ·

One thing about guitar center that you will never see at a ma and pop shop is discounts of 30+% on a Black Fridayesque day that you can go online print out another 15% off coupon and use on top of that deal.

I'm totally for supporting the ma and pop shops, but I will not spend over $100 more on anything I buy anywhere. Less that that Id cover if I liked the place, but with instruments you're talking thousands and thousands of dollars, this is where I just can't hang.