a thoughtful web.
Share good ideas and conversation.   Login or Take a Tour!
ButterflyEffect's comments

Please define and differentiate blue gang and looting gang.

I do not get the feeling you understand anything about de-escalation. Or more likely you’ll blame escalation on blue gang.

ButterflyEffect  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: How Google, DoorDash, & Grubhub Conspire to Screw Local Restaurants

I want to see all of these services die. But, if people are supporting them because they don’t care or don’t know better, I don’t know what to do about that aside from continuing to live in my own little bubble.

“This is not an unpredictable outcome with businesses opening in one location and people going to seek services there,” said Fitzpatrick, who has reviewed the findings by the university's Maryland Transportation Institute.

I am so tired of giving a shit about those states who's politics and beliefs are clearly going to have a negative impact on the health of those around them, and will result in this entire pandemic being prolonged.

Yeah the longer this drags on the more I turn into Rorschach.

ButterflyEffect  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

Note that WA State is not immune to this either, jesus christ Walla Walla.

tacocat  ·  26 days ago  ·  link  ·

There's not even a vaccine yet and people are blaming something that doesn't exist for autism. I don't think I'm Rorschach but I'm getting to Dr Manhattan levels

ButterflyEffect  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What if immunity to covid-19 doesn’t last?

I mean, any immunity that is seasonal or unable to be vaccinated against and I don’t see how anyone can reach an even remotely positive conclusion that doesn’t involve the decline of society as we know it.

uhsguy  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

I dont think its deadly enough to to significantly affect population numbers. Its just that we cant have the response that we have now, we will just have to deal with it wear masks and accept that we are 2x as likely to die in 2020 than we were in 2019. Ideally we would build up hospital and funeral capacity to account for the increased mortality and that would be that. In reality things seem to be going the other way in we are instead decreasing hospital capacity so who knows.

b_b  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's definitely bad if that's the case, but I think it will be adaptable if we can get cheap, reliable, fast, widely-deployed testing. It would take a really big social commitment, but I think we're up to it. As much as quarantine sucks, all but the worst among us are taking it in stride, so I think we're capable of more than we think we are.

uhsguy  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah thats the other option, look at South Korea. They are a truly first world country and they were able to get testing to everyone that needed it, then ended up mostly eliminating COVID.

b_b  ·  31 days ago  ·  link  ·

They did it. Clearly we can do it. Big question is the extent to which we and other developed nations will help the developing world do it. Trump's anti WHO stance is going to be very unhelpful in the event he doesn't leave the White House on January.

ButterflyEffect  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 29, 2020

The FDA is kind of weird in this way. Well, I guess it makes sense on their end to not be overly prescriptive with how to accomplish something. I bet b_b can speak to this too from his perspective, I'm only speaking to interactions I've had with the FDA within the Food & Beverage industry...

FDA has even said if you're a lab in good standing, whatever that means, and if you validate your test in some magic way, again super vague, that you're fine and don't need anything more. But this specific lab is not EUA approved.

They really don't tell you how to do something unless you bug them about it long enough, and figure out how to bug the right person. This is both good and bad - there's more than one way to do most things, after all, and all that needs to be provided is validation of the effectiveness of the work performed to meet the FDA regulation and guidance. It allows flexibility in manufacturing and in some cases, actual innovation! The downside is...a lot of the time it leaves it up what the fuck are you actually asking me to do!?!? and a lack of trust in the system...

c_hawkthorne  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah my regular job is regulatory. I just tell people they're wrong and they have to fix stuff, but I can't tell them how to fix it, that's up to them. Otherwise we might be playing too hard into their finances which becomes a hairy situation fast. We do conflict of interest paperwork annually and even the year after we leave as well. I don't envy the FDA these days. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm not saying it's wrong to not say how something has to be done, but they can be less vague about it. That lack of trust... the more I learn about everything the more I feel it.

ButterflyEffect  ·  35 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: Foodbank Fundraiser Brainstorming Session

A lot of foodbanks, unfortunately, aren't accepting new manpower right now :(

At least down here in Pierce County. If you're existing volunteer I believe you can still sign-up for shifts but new volunteers, not so much at the moment. And down here they're just as short on money as they are on people.

ButterflyEffect  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: TNG PODCAST: COVID-19 Part 1

Yeah, I saw that. Was choosing to frame it a more positive light :)

thenewgreen  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you! Positivity is appreciated always, but especially these days. I’ve been saying, “stay positive but don’t test positive.”

I’ve been in a funk since making this podcast. I’m very concerned about the state of the world. I’m not sure this will get any better before it gets much worse. Currently, I’m afraid that you can get covid-19 more than one time. Meaning that antibodies won’t protect you from re contracting it. mk is this a valid fear?

Also, I started out thanking you for being positive and then went all Debbie downer on you. Sorry B_E.

Onward!

mk  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

I really don’t know. My current covid19 fear is that getting it and getting better doesn’t mean that you are done with it. This virus manifests in some strange ways with great variability. My worry is that years from now, we are going to find that there are long term risks associated with infection.

steve  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you haven’t read this... consider reading.

It has “possible long term effects” all over it. So many systems to be affected. So many possibilities, and none of them good.

ButterflyEffect  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In Pursuit of PPE

So I shit you not my workplace ordered bandanas for all our employees as face coverings

They’re American flag printed

Made in China

ButterflyEffect  ·  46 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sorry, We Did Not All Get and Recover From COVID-19 This Winter

But kleinbl00 don’t you know that if you live in SV or Seattle and drink from a golden spoon you’re an expert in every field, not just programming???

ButterflyEffect  ·  48 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 15, 2020

I could see Mount Baker from my house a few days ago. For reference, that’s about 170 driving miles. Insane, first time since I moved here I can remember that kind of visibility.

Hopefully a load off your shoulders to test negative!

nil  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, the wet cough and lack of fever I think was the giveaway.

I mainly got tested because a friend was worried.

ButterflyEffect  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Bernie Sanders drops out of 2020 race

Oh my god. just looking at her scream "KAREN"

kleinbl00  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·

Who fucking cares? She's a democratic ex-fighter pilot running against Mitch McConnell.

Maybe dial the purity test back a bit.

ButterflyEffect  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

That was coming from a place of amusement, not disdain, which is a really hard distinction to make over a comment.

L o l at oftenben badging a comment about purity dials, that’s the most hypocritical thing I’ve seen here in a while.

Maybe it’s just me but Hubski doesn’t seem as nice and friendly lately and I’m part of that problem.

I’ll see you all in the future. Stay safe until then.

Oh, c'mon, man. Everyone's jumpy AF right now. The solution is to give everyone a little more leeway.

I absolutely agree with you on that. My plea to you and OftenBen (who will almost definitely respond with snark) and others is to think of the Supreme Court. Screw Biden, screw the DNC, this is about the Supreme Court. Trump winning later this year has all sorts of issues written on it, but giving him another Justice is maybe the biggest.

mk  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Unfortunately, the Dems and the GOP and their propaganda arms parading as 'news' have convinced us that politics is a war of ideals, not a question of good governance. Bernie wins the ideological battle every time. He's a great candidate if you want to win ideological warfare.

However, I predict that Bernie would have been a poor President because good legislation cannot pass ideological purity because it is by nature a product of compromise.

I'm tired of this leadership stuff. The president is a public servant that commands our troops, appoints justices, and signs legislation.

johnnyFive  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

I don't think this is true. He was able to get stuff done in the Senate, and despite his strong ideological standing I haven't seen any evidence he couldn't work with members of both parties. The other thing is that he wasn't as blindly idealistic as he was painted to be: I remember him saying in an interview once that, since you'll always get less than you ask for, you're better off asking for the moon.

uhsguy  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

I hate that argument, it’s how we got Gore, Hillary and now Biden. Every time the Democratic establishment tells me I have to vote of their candidates because think about the Supreme Court and abortion. They tell the black man next door that he has no choice he can either vote for a party that does nothing for him or he can vote for Jim Crow. I’m tired of voting against a candidate, and frankly I don’t have to because wa will vote blue And eat that shit up just fine without me.

ButterflyEffect  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

It’s an argument I wouldn’t have made a week ago, but now we have what we have and quite frankly I like that WA state has options for contraceptives, abortion, and alllll sorts of other things that could be in jeopardy with further erosion of the Supreme Court. Does Hubski support emojis because here’s one: 🤷🏻‍♂️

If y’all want to spite yourselves, help yourself to it!

uhsguy  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

In my ideal world Biden wins by 1 vote, looses the majority and wins by 1 delegate. Just saying

OftenBen  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

As I said, beaten enough that I have fallen in line.

Biden won't get one red cent from me. He can go ask a megadonor for another billion.

I'm putting my money into local efforts, and by local, I mean "local to assholes that need to get voted out." Folx like Amy McGrath.

ButterflyEffect  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh my god. just looking at her scream "KAREN"

kleinbl00  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·

Maybe dial the purity test back a bit.

ButterflyEffect  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’ll see you all in the future. Stay safe until then.

ButterflyEffect  ·  55 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 8, 2020

Wishing you the best and for a fast recovery.

ButterflyEffect  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Turbulent Gas Clouds and Respiratory Pathogen Emissions

Awww man my first time being Manning-faced on Hubski.

am_Unition  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·

I’m not not a basic internet bitch

edit: no wait there are two "not"s in the above sentence, but I didn't see the second one (?) when I re-read my own comment