ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: UTAH TRIP REPORT or: How I Learned Not To Hike Alone by Breaking My Leg

Glad you’re okay. The one thing I’ll say about S&R is the first principal after assessing the situation is to not create additional victims, which likely governed their response.

You were fortunate to have had this occur in what seems to be a fairly popular (and beautiful looking) area, and I’m very glad you’ve got some learnings out of it. Hope that leg heals properly and you come back strong as before!

kingmudsy  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Should be back to normal in two or three months, according to my doctor!

ButterflyEffect  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 21, 2019

...I still think it’s a nice slug.

You can tell the internet that. Just not the locals.

ButterflyEffect  ·  29 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: American Green

Vermont is a beautifully unkept place. The permaculture and cooperative culture amongst people there is something else entirely. Seems like there’s all sorts of small farms and people growing whatever on their property.

ButterflyEffect  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: American Green

I haven’t mowed my lawn once this year. My housemate plants flowers and such in the back and waters them, but that’s it.

I’ve never seen this many bees in our yard. It’s great!

applewood  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·

Our lawn is mowed, but we don't do anything to deter native plants that crop up. We have bees, beetles, moths and butterflies, ants, and all sorts of critters crawling around. It's really quite beautiful. Yesterday Dala and I used a bug identifying app on her phone to id some catipillars, a stunningly beautiful moth, and a small, yet bold looking spider. It was like using a real life Pokedex and so much easier than using a field guide. I can't wait to do it again with her this weekend.

moslydeaf  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·

That app sounds enjoyable to use. What is the name of it?

applewood  ·  27 days ago  ·  link  ·
ButterflyEffect  ·  294 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: It's been a fun 2,163 Days

Wow, that was the thread!!! It's a strong possibility! This week I've deleted all online dating, am taking a break here, and am thinking about getting rid of Amazon and many other online accounts. It's winter cleaning, I guess.

ButterflyEffect  ·  316 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

"Congratulations!

You have earned 94 points which means that you could potentially immigrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker, and you would therefore have a good chance of being successful in this application based on your skills, qualifications and work experience."

Well...I mean...maybe a weekend in Vancouver is in order.

If you're thinkin' Vancouver you'd best be thinkin' multiples of "CAD$ 12,164"

Foveaux  ·  316 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ooo I got 89 - I don't want to shift but I was curious about my chances.

ButterflyEffect  ·  316 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

I know you're right, but Jesus man, I can't help but be frustrated over the, admittedly imperfect, ballot initiatives such as the carbon tax and grocery loophole...mostly because of the fuck ton of money spent by industry PACs persuading voters.

WA state is frustrating (and I'm preaching to the choir) when literally we get what we pay for and it's regressive as shit without a state income tax but the amount of "no new taxes" and implicit fucking racism I've seen in the past three weeks has me disgusted and wanting to scream.

It's kind of analogous to a relationship. You don't need to, and won't, like everything about your partner. How can you expect anything different of your politician?

I think that's the problem exactly: "there's nobody good out there for me, therefore I'd rather be single" as if "single" was a choice when it comes to the city/state/nation you live in. You can't opt out of the rules, the money is going to be spent, and civics fundamentally belongs to the people who care the most.

Chris Gregoire beat Dino Rossi by 129 votes. Al Franken beat Norm Coleman by 200 votes. In both cases that's like a single senior class spread across an entire state as far as margin. And those are state races. If you're voting for a city ballot measure on an off year, yours might be one of 500 votes. Want kids to have textbooks? Well, it's coming out of property taxes, which are paid by old people, who always vote. The people who just finished using a social studies textbook that still talks about North Vietnam? Yeah, they're waiting for Mr. Right.

And that's why their kids will also learn that the US must prevail in North Vietnam.

Because of the Domino Theory.

oyster  ·  321 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup, I’ve yet to figure out a way to get people to understand this because they normally just shoot back that I’m telling them to settle for the lesser evil instead of accept reality as it has always been. The amount of people who literally crumble when things don’t go perfectly according to plan is ridiculous and it’s those same people who don’t want to vote for fear of being let down.

ButterflyEffect  ·  366 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Eliud Kipchoge Crushes Marathon World Record at Berlin Marathon

Absolutely incredible performance. Looking at his splits it almost comes across as him having something left in the tank. Kipchoge is currently, bar none, the best marathoner in the world right now.

It is inspirational seeing people display what our bodies are capable of, as katakowsj points out. You can only wonder what's next.

ButterflyEffect  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 12, 2018

Yeah, unfortunately she isn't. That would have been nice. Do you get drunk? I feel like people mostly get drunk at weddings.

_refugee_  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

You get drink, and you motherfuckin dance, and because you're never going to see most of those people ever again you can do both with reckless impunity and it's pretty much the definition of a great time. Plus good food, and everybody's usually pretty happy. Enjoy yourself for sure.

Generally weddings have alcohol that has been chosen by committee and is cheap and awful. Like, cupcake-flavored champagne and dumb shit like that. Or the groom's favorite beer, which is IPA.

I have been known to sneak hip flasks into weddings.

thenewgreen  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

Lol. This is soooo true. Flask is definitely the way to go. They may have jack daniels or Jim beam but they’ll not have anything good.

In all fairness goobster's wedding had a dope whiskey selection but he's the exception that proves the rule.

ButterflyEffect  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

Dammit. Should have consulted with you before hand, didn't pack the flask. Rookie mistake.

Minis fit great in suit pockets.

Going home for a wedding! First friend wedding I’ll ever have attended. No idea what you’re supposed to do at a wedding.

Make awkward conversation with people you'll never see again, mostly. I'm assuming your girl isn't coming with you, which means you fell into the "random stragglers" table because for some reason seating arrangements are this thing that brides are expected to obsess over so you end up with extremely precise chaos.

ButterflyEffect  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

_refugee_  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have been known to sneak hip flasks into weddings.

thenewgreen  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  372 days ago  ·  link  ·

Minis fit great in suit pockets.

ButterflyEffect  ·  374 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Squeezing the Worker

Related to that chart, how many of those same employees are in professions at high risk of being automated away? A livable wage is a great cause, but if your job is going away anyway it's only a bandaid without repositioning yourself in the workforce.

ButterflyEffect  ·  398 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random opinions about alcohol

There's a lot of shit sours out there. But give me a good Flanders red or Gose and I'll more than happily drink it.

moslydeaf  ·  398 days ago  ·  link  ·

If you ever see an Andreson Valley Gose I recommend them. The Kimmy the Yink and The Holy Gose is probably my favorite craft beer ever. Salty and sour with citrus. Weird flavors but great for summer

ButterflyEffect  ·  399 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Random opinions about alcohol

ButterflyEffect  ·  407 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 8, 2018

I want to ax the entire board of my nonprofit except for one other person, and start over. That's harsh, but it's where I am at. It should not take 36 hours and counting to receive a response from a text message I sent out to two people asking about proper attendance for a meeting, so now I'm just running with it. And just about everything else. Setting agendas, leading meetings, if I didn't care about this nonprofit as a net positive for the city I live in, I'd let it die. But I'm going to drag this fuckin' thing kicking and screaming through the next year if I have to. Meanwhile we're still basically fuckin' broke and have not nearly enough board members. I have three meetings the upcoming two weeks to rectify one of those issues, which will in turn hopefully solve the other. We need a 3-5 year plan, very, very badly and I only have so much time.

...

Went on a sunset hike up at Mt. Rainier with a great group of folks, and assembled tacos while we were up there. Had some laughs and more serious conversations about relationships. A lot of age gap questions and comments, since our group had people between 23 and 39 in it. My thought is that an "acceptable" age gap for dating and relationships really depends on where you're at in life. Funny that two of the guys had a much wider range than myself or most of the girls.

goobster  ·  407 days ago  ·  link  ·

I have oodles of non-profit experience, and know of what you speak.

For the most part, volunteers are only worth as much as you pay them. It's a sad thing to say, but universally true. While there are bright sparks from time to time, who will uplift your heart and validate all your efforts, they too will fade over time and eventually fail you.

Non-profit success comes from making simple plans, with easily achievable goals, in short timeframes. Aim low: succeed. Aim low again: succeed again.

Progress is turtle-slow, but it works for two key reasons:

1. Volunteers spend a short amount of time, and see their efforts have a meaningful effect. This gets them to come back and volunteer again.

2. "Big thinkers" get turned off and go away, and the more boring - but trustworthy - people who actually DO THINGS will stay. And do things. While the Big Picture People will be off pontificating and talking about 5-year plans, your meagre army of drone-like functionaries will push the ball ever forward. (See #1 above.)

Take time for yourself. Don't burn yourself out. Slow and steady wins in the end. Good luck.

ButterflyEffect  ·  407 days ago  ·  link  ·

Appreciate the advice, especially this bit. Would you be open to a PM with some more specific details? I'm interested if you already know the event we put on (it's in the South Sound).

goobster  ·  406 days ago  ·  link  ·

Always happy to help a fellow supporter of nonprofit success! Feel free to message me.