ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: UTAH TRIP REPORT or: How I Learned Not To Hike Alone by Breaking My Leg

Yeah it says that I think you’re a dick.

ButterflyEffect  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: UTAH TRIP REPORT or: How I Learned Not To Hike Alone by Breaking My Leg

SAM splints are one of those fuck it items when they’re so light and compressible that I just throw it in the emergency kit for most trips. ACE wrap SAM splint everything you’ve mentioned is gold.

Oh and tweezers. Learned that lesson the hard way earlier this year.

ButterflyEffect  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: American Green

Did you read the article?

nil  ·  16 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think Mr. BigSwingingDickThurr is a troll.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 28, 2019

If I’m reading this right it doesn’t seem like the worst idea in the world.

Beats the ever-lovin' shit out of Alamosa.

So my idea of moving to the Methow isn’t a bad idea, then, assuming that it doesn’t all burn down.

ButterflyEffect  ·  17 days ago  ·  link  ·

If I’m reading this right it doesn’t seem like the worst idea in the world.

Beats the ever-lovin' shit out of Alamosa.

ButterflyEffect  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Where's Your "Third Place", Hubski?

Bowling Alone should be required College Freshman reading material.

I would love to see a revised edition. The text predates Friendster.

ButterflyEffect  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 7, 2019

Really? That’s interesting. Have you read his own blog?

flagamuffin  ·  37 days ago  ·  link  ·

no but i've seen some of his poetry and it's poignant. i enjoy it. interesting guy. kinda reminds me of john darnielle

Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
Sorry, this comment is private.
ButterflyEffect  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Your Children’s Yellowstone Will Be Radically Different

What about water availability? That seems like something that's going to be a huge deal moving forward. Especially the Rockies and West in America, and obviously every place near the equator worldwide. How do manage 5 year droughts, how do we collect water during storms and safely store it in aquafors.

snoodog  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

That’s exactly what we need to figure out, certain cities may need to be abandoned and practices that drain aquifers need to stopped. Thats the kind of forward thinking that can help mitigate some of the impacts for future generations. Essentially you need a comprehensive plan on dealing with the impact of climate change. You can’t stop Contries from polluting but you can invest in technology and infrastructure that will mitigate some of the impact. It’s not a perfect solution but it’s better than the current plans of pissing into the wind through tiny reduction efforts.

What does that look like to you?

snoodog  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

Probably need to build up infrastructure like sea walls in areas that can be saved. Update flood prevention systems and dams, storm surge areas. Fund programs to breed seeds that are more heat tolerant. Model where future rains are going to occur and figure out how to manage, and store the water.

There are likely opportunities to terraform areas to level off temperature swings.

Ocean research is critical as well. They are getting f-up and we don’t understand them well at all. We need to collect dna for bio specimens that we can restore later when technology allows it.

Those things are a much better use of money than Current carbon reduction efforts.

ButterflyEffect  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

snoodog  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

Change is its natural state.

The human effect on climate is one aspect of change.

Change is its natural state until you look at CO2 emissions, global temperature rises, forest fire incidences, glacial levels, etc. etc. from the industrial era on. It's an extremely significant and extremely unnatural effect we have had on our climate. How can you possibly say otherwise, or have such a defeatist attitude? Mapping Yellowstone? Fuck off, dude. Any learnings or mapping will happen concurrently with other changes around the world and it will be too late to do much about it at that point.

We are already experiencing it. Go step on a glacier anywhere in Washington.

goobster  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

Reading comprehension fail, my friend. I did not say the things you are responding to.

ButterflyEffect  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

Can you clarify what you did say, then? If I am not intelligent enough in my reading comprehension I would appreciate help in developing an understanding of your point(s). I want to ask you point blank: Do you believe in human driven climate change?

Edit: Also, you do realize that that was a very demeaning way of engaging?

snoodog  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

It’s already too late, we probably would have had to start to curb greenhouse emissions in the 80s or earlier to get where we would have needed to be today. At this point climate change has happened we need to work on dealing with the consequences and effects as they happen and affect our citizens.

The worlds major polluters aren’t curbing emissions fast enough to make anything the rest of us do matter significantly. Classic Tragedy of the commons type problem

ButterflyEffect  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

What does that look like to you?

snoodog  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

snoodog  ·  298 days ago  ·  link  ·

Edit: Also, you do realize that that was a very demeaning way of engaging?

ButterflyEffect  ·  299 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An Aging Marathoner Tries to Run Fast After Age 40

Do you have a heart rate monitor? Thinking it's about time I bought one.

WanderingEng  ·  299 days ago  ·  link  ·

I do have a heart rate monitor. I currently use a Garmin 230 which uses the chest strap monitor. I found it really useful when I was first starting to run further because it would alarm when my heart rate was too high. Now that I know what too high feels like, I don't really need it. It didn't alarm once in my recent half.

The other fancy gizmos intrigue me, especially stuff that reports imbalance between sides. I'd need the fancy watch for that.