ButterflyEffect's comments
ButterflyEffect  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

Depends on how big the gun was...or, you know, just generally absolutely insane.

Did you have an indication this guy was into guns from his Bumble profile?

_refugee_  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Nope! Nor from the pictures either (I've seen some pictures of guys where they're hunting or have guns with them on Bumble, which seems like a more subtle way to kind of give people a heads' up what you are into.)

cgod  ·  20 hours ago  ·  link  ·

My sister in law has been touring the country in a converted sprinter van this year.

She mentioned that pretty much every guy in Montana's profile was with an animal he killed or with a hunting rifle. I don't think she got much action in Montana.

flagamuffin  ·  16 hours ago  ·  link  ·

i have considered doing this many times and would like to hear more about it

does she stay at campsites? or walmart parking lots? what does she eat? etc.

if she's doing a travel blog or something link it/message me/whatever

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Race Report: A Foray into Ultrarunning

Always! Love talking about this stuff with you and waso. Let us know how the half went!!!

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Stealthily posted!

wasoxygen

ButterflyEffect  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 14, 2018

Hah, I'm on the other side of that circle. Spent enough time trying this year and gave a much greater understanding of my wants and needs...which is a lot longer conversation but boils down to "no dating unless I meet a mountaineer or trail runner who's my age bracket and single."

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Race Report: A Foray into Ultrarunning

Oh, got it. So yeah, it could look this this:

Monday: 6 miles, all easy

Tuesday: 9 miles, mixture of half marathon pace and easy

Wednesday: 10 miles, all easy

Thursday: 8 miles, mixture of threshold and half marathon pace with easy warmup and cool down. This usually ends up being two or three separate runs strung together

Saturday: 10-13 miles, mostly easy

Sunday: 16-20 miles, long run

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

Awesome, thanks! I may bug you about what I think I'd like to do for training as a sort of sanity check. I'm already signed up for one full marathon next year (Milwaukee Lakefront that I was able to defer from this year). The Madison Marathon is tomorrow, and holy shit I wish I was running it. I'm giddy just running the half and knowing I can stay and cheer for the full. I know two people running their first fulls tomorrow. I'm toying with signing up for it next year. My body broke training for one this year, but I'm hopeful I can manage that next year after PT.

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Stealthily posted!

wasoxygen

ButterflyEffect  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Race Report: A Foray into Ultrarunning

It feels like you don't have much of a life outside of running and working out. I do three days at the gym and another two or three climbing in a normal week. Plus stretching. Plus dealing with my running and workout clothes. That time adds up quick.

Sixty mile weeks are, for me, usually a split between roads and trails. They favor roads through the winters, and trails during the summer when there's enough daylight to do after or before work trail runs in some amount of light.

WanderingEng  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

How does 60 miles break down over seven days? The longest week I've done is 40 miles. That was:

Monday: hill intervals that added up to 3.5 miles including warm up and cool down.

Tuesday: 4.7 mile fast, flat run

Thursday: 10 mile race pace

Saturday: 22 mile race pace (or a little slower)

I look at that and don't know where I'd add an extra 20 miles. Even if I replaced Monday and Tuesday with 10 mile runs it's still only 52 miles.

Do you run twice per day? How many days a week do you run in a week like that?

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh, got it. So yeah, it could look this this:

Monday: 6 miles, all easy

Tuesday: 9 miles, mixture of half marathon pace and easy

Wednesday: 10 miles, all easy

Saturday: 10-13 miles, mostly easy

Sunday: 16-20 miles, long run

WanderingEng  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

WanderingEng  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Stealthily posted!

wasoxygen

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Race Report: A Foray into Ultrarunning

Race Directors are a special breed...I signed up for what will be an incredibly muddy and wet 50k at the end of January, have a 50k in April and another in July, and a 50miler or 100k sometime next year. Getting a mountain trail run in this weekend while the weather is good.

One thing I didn't mention in the article, pinging WanderingEng too, was the emotional aftermath. Maybe you've experienced this too. It was a more of a slow burn instead of an immediate and visceral emotional reaction, over the course of the day or two immediately following the race was...strange. Very calm, increasingly happy about it, increasingly chatty about the race.

WanderingEng  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

I haven't experienced emotion like that. I was struggling at the end of my marathon. But I do find now a year later that I'm still just as proud of doing it as I was then. The long distance is just so difficult it has a totally different emotion.

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 7, 2018

I would like to think it wouldn't be terribly difficult given my profession?

Canada's demographics are dependent on net immigration. You're young, you're educated, you have a high earning potential which means you're likely to pay a lot of taxes. Canada Wants You.

elizabeth  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup! We’ll take you in!

Here are things that add you your points:

- young

- educated

- married

- young kid

- speak English

- speak French (disproportionately a lot of points if you want to come to Quebec)

We have a lot of space and no people so... welcome!

illu45  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

We have a lot of space and no people so... welcome!

This is only true outside of major city-centres, though. If you want to live in Vancouver or Toronto, for instance, you'll need to be prepared to spend a lot of housing.

elizabeth  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

I feel that’s true for all major cities in the world. But as a country we have PLENTY of space. Especially in the Atlantic Provinces. They have a pilot immigration program right now where if you get literally any job and live there for 2 years they grant you a permanent residence status.

elizabeth  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
oyster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I met an Environmental Engineer at the bar the other day, worked for Parks Canada. No idea how in demand that is though but I know we have them in the mountains aka. best place on earth.

If only...

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

"Congratulations!

You have earned 94 points which means that you could potentially immigrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker, and you would therefore have a good chance of being successful in this application based on your skills, qualifications and work experience."

Well...I mean...maybe a weekend in Vancouver is in order.

If you're thinkin' Vancouver you'd best be thinkin' multiples of "CAD$ 12,164"

Foveaux  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Ooo I got 89 - I don't want to shift but I was curious about my chances.

OftenBen  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

oyster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know so many people working here from other countries, there’s got to be a way in. I think the biggest is if your job is in demand. A lot of others were already here in visa’s when they got in with a company that would sponsor them.

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

I would like to think it wouldn't be terribly difficult given my profession?

elizabeth  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yup! We’ll take you in!

Here are things that add you your points:

- young

- educated

- married

- young kid

- speak English

We have a lot of space and no people so... welcome!

illu45  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

We have a lot of space and no people so... welcome!

elizabeth  ·  2 days ago  ·  link  ·

elizabeth  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.
oyster  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Democracy Participation Th{ubski}read

So...what's the point? We're going to burn this planet to the ground before my generation or the following is able to do enough about it. None of these candidates on either side of the aisle are talking about climate.

Sorry, I'm kind of in a shit mood, and following this election isn't making it any better. Turning off the YouTube for the night.

I'm in a shit mood, too. There's a passage in Omnivore's Dilemma where Pollan and Salatin are slaughtering chickens and Pollan observes something like how easy it is to do evil when you're surrounded by people who think it's normal. Salatin points out that there's a reason they only slaughter two days a month; nobody should do too much killin' in a row.

It's a terrible system. It has many flaws. And if you opt out of it, the people who think it's GRRRRREAT!!!!!! get to call the shots. A couple days a month, you have to kill chickens. The rest of the time you eschew evil.

There are more people in DC than there are in Wyoming. Wyoming has two senators and a rep; DC has fuckall. There are more people in Puerto Rico than there are in Iowa. Iowa has two senators and four reps; Puerto Rico has none. But as of tonight, there are about a million more eligible democrats in Florida and I'm not sure the racist wins four years from now.

California was red for decades.

Environment? Yeah, that one scares me, too. I've been pondering lately if Washington real estate is going through the roof because the winters are milder than they used to be. And I'm trying to talk a friend of mine up by the Canadian border into opening a vineyard. And eventually, all these old fuckers are going to die, and then they're going to have a hard time voting for coal.

Take your victories where you get them.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I know you're right, but Jesus man, I can't help but be frustrated over the, admittedly imperfect, ballot initiatives such as the carbon tax and grocery loophole...mostly because of the fuck ton of money spent by industry PACs persuading voters.

WA state is frustrating (and I'm preaching to the choir) when literally we get what we pay for and it's regressive as shit without a state income tax but the amount of "no new taxes" and implicit fucking racism I've seen in the past three weeks has me disgusted and wanting to scream.

This is, for some reason, making me feel like we have become a monstrosity of a country. Why do people not vote? Well, watching the live stream of results, the DeSantis victory speech, etc. I can completely understand why.

This is vulgar. And I'm sure it would be if the Democrats were winning, too. Tribalism in action.

You're young. It's always been terrible. I remember the '80 debates. They were terrible. I've studied elections back to Andrew Fucking Jackson. It's always been terrible.

People who think this shitshow is somehow in any way new aren't idealists with their dreams being crushed, they're naifs that haven't paid attention their entire lives.

NOBODY should be surprised by any of this.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

California was red for decades.

Take your victories where you get them.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

ButterflyEffect  ·  38 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fashion faux pas as microplastics are traced to synthetic textiles

Oh MAN is this a good time to plug a company I've been interested in or what!? 512 Apparel. Using coffee grounds in their textiles. And recycled windshields in other gear. Wish I had a full understanding of everything they use, though.

krmatthews  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

It would be nice if clothing and accessories manufacturers will start looking for an eco-friendly way to produce apparels, however, the problem only a very small fraction of the fashion industry, as well as the others, are willing to shed their old ways and opt for a better one, right?

ButterflyEffect  ·  6 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fucking businesses fucking up the fucking democratic process.

Sugar as a percent of total calories per serving with some sort of exception clauses pending actual nutritional value.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Fucking businesses fucking up the fucking democratic process.

Your being able to do whatever you want to your body gives me a father who had emphysema his entire life and lung cancer. It’s given me family members with diabetes who never needed to suffer like that, but hey, it’s their body, right? And I had to suffer alongside of them because of that. My family members had to suffer along side of them because of that. Our healthcare system had to bear the weight of their lifestyle choices.

I was almost aborted as part of a teenage pregnancy. I’m still pro choice. If somebody gets pregnant and doesn’t want the child, that’s a horrible horrible decision to have to make. We’ve witnessed Cumol have to go through that on this very site. But it’s a personal choice, it could strain family relationships and it will certainly alter a person for life. It’s a lifelong choice that impacts them for life, not necessarily those around them. If you smoke, if you treat your body poorly, that impacts you AND those around you. There’s my line of difference. There’s what I’ve had to live through.

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Investigating Pennsylvania’s Very Pecular Penchant for the Potato Chip

Utz > Herrs

ButterflyEffect  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Forget About The Candidates. What Else Is On The Ballot This Week?

Sounds like you live in WA!