BurnTheBarricade's comments
BurnTheBarricade  ·  66 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Trump is sadly right about America's immigration laws

I mean, it's a good idea if the end goal is to benefit the communities where asylum seekers end up. But even a good idea can be completely subverted or sabotaged by failures of execution at any step in the process, and the stated purpose in this case is for "punishment" of cities that have the gall to welcome others in need. The explicitly malevolent intent of the policy makes me think that the administration will try to make it as painful for every party as possible at every step in the process. It doesn't help that Stephen Miller seems to have set himself up as some sort of Bannon-like successor.

And that's really my question - what are the vectors for subversion, what are the critical points of execution, and how could this turn out to be worse rather than better?

The point of the article is that immigration is a problem that should be grappled with by people who like immigrants. I watched a Frontline on immigration talking about how horribly we treated immigrants... under Obama. My argument is that if we treat immigration as an asset rather than a pox we might come up with better solutions and that the idea of opening sanctuary cities to immigrants, while definitely a knuckle-rubbing wet dream of the MAGA crew, is actually the sort of thing the rest of us should consider.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Justice Department now says courts should strike the entire ACA

I was typing out my reply and realized that the Justice Department, as part of the Executive, has very little accountability even to the GOP constituency. Sure, those boomers who voted Trump may not be able to afford their insulin, but Bill Barr and Boofin' Brett aren't technically required to give two shits about those plebs. Although a Pyrrhic victory may cost the GOP their foothold in the legislature, I'm convinced that they've successfully grafted themselves into the entire judicial branch.

It certainly won't be the end of the healthcare debate in America, and I could certainly see millions of people losing their insurance as impetus for a Medicare-for-All type initiative. But prior experience indicates that if the people who've hijacked our government don't want to play ball, they'll just throw a tantrum and hold their breath. And thanks to talk radio and Fox News it somehow keeps working.

Why it matters: A ruling striking down the entire ACA would upend major parts of the health care system. Millions of people would lose their health care coverage, and a host of seemingly unrelated policies — including new experiments in how Medicare pays for care and an entire class of prescription drugs — would also go out the window.

How it works: A federal judge ruled in December that the ACA's individual mandate has become unconstitutional, because of the way Republicans zeroed out the penalty for being uninsured.

If any Americans needed any more reason to vote this bunch of syphilitic ingrates out of office in 2020, here it is. Millions of people out of insurance. Biosimilars of all kinds left unfunded. All thanks to a Republican vendetta against an originally Republican healthcare plan, which has actually done some good for many of their constituents.

I'm curious what the play is. I'll bet their hope is that now that they've got BeerBro on the court they'll be able to take the whole thing down. But Obamacare is more popular than it's ever been and from a healthcare perspective, it's actually controlling costs.

They might very well get their pyrrhic victory against Obamacare. But we're at the point where I think there's a real chance that it'll come back with a vengeance, and soon. DOMA was passed in '96. Gay marriage was 50-state legal in 2015. And there's a whole bunch of 'boomers that can't afford their medication already.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·

bfv  ·  84 days ago  ·  link  ·

I've just started to look at everything the GOP does as a bunch of angry old people who know they only matter now because of the electoral college and procedural shenanigans and won't matter at all once enough angry old people die off killing the livestock, burning the fields, poisoning the wells and smashing the buildings on their way out.

Have I got the book for you.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  85 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Who Is Left on Hubski?

Name: BurnTheBarricade

Location: The Bad South

Age: Twenties

I joined here a while ago, and it's been a nice little corner of the internet to go when I want some discussion or opining less dim-witted than Reddit or Youtube comment sections. Been away for a while cause of life stuff, but I expect I'll keep lurking here for as long as the site's up. Most of the time if I don't say anything it's cause someone's already said it.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  378 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Advanced breast cancer disappears after new immunotherapy

From what I can tell, this sort of falls into the 1st category, along with a bit of the 3rd. They take the patient's cells and look for a type of rare white blood cell called [tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes]( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumor-infiltrating_lymphocytes) that can hit the cancer cells specifically, then make a bunch more of them and put them back into the patient. It's promising because the treatment is effectively an extension of the patient's own immune system (it won't provoke an immune response or poison the person's own cells), the TILs can reach anywhere that the bloodstream can reach (helping to deal with metastasis), and because there is potential for this type of therapy to work on multiple different types of cancers (rather than a specific drug targeting a specific cancer's oncogene).

I just finished The Emperor of All Maladies and it's a terrific read. The timing of this research result is pretty neat.

22 months and counting. This may be the most promising case in the trial, so we still need to see what the other cases yielded, but that's still pretty good for a metastatic, resistant breast cancer. Does anyone see any potential downsides to the treatment besides cost? I'm thinking some sort of possible autoimmune response and the researchers' aforementioned concerns about the tumors evolving resistant proteins, but don't know precisely how big of a concern that is combined with the standard regimen.

Like francopoli said, preventative medicine should be able to generate revenue even with healthy people. Goldman Sachs sounds like their ideal business model would be to give everyone cancer and then jack up the price of chemo and immunotherapy. No such thing as a line they won't cross.

For some comedic relief, here's Mitchell and Webb predicting conversations like this in 2010.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  435 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: FBI Raids Cohen’s Office

Suggested listening to accompany this article:

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

user-inactivated  ·  437 days ago  ·  link  ·

kleinbl00 probably has the real answer. I just like the name "Dead Cat Bounce."

Barely over 3 months into the year and already no fewer than 22 sessions with intra-day moves in the Dow of 400+ points. We had 1 all of last year. The only other time in the past have we seen so many 400 point moves bunched into such a short period -- Oct 2008 to Jan 2009.

- David Rosenberg

BurnTheBarricade  ·  446 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: Change to our TOS

I contributed positively!!!!

Sorry, it doesn't happen that often. Love the site, y'all do good work.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  447 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubski Update: Change to our TOS

Also, when I hover over the little rectangle now, it still reads "Hubski 2017 Funding Goal." Not sure if you're the guy to talk to about that, or if it's an error on my end, but I figured mentioning it would be helpful.

mk  ·  447 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oops. Thanks.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  446 days ago  ·  link  ·

I contributed positively!!!!

Sorry, it doesn't happen that often. Love the site, y'all do good work.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  448 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: The path forward on guns

True, I think otherwise there's potential for abuse in there to disenfranchise people even further.

I found this a couple of hours ago and was looking to see if anyone had posted it here! It almost perfectly encapsulates my thoughts on what actual progress might be possible. This is the solution, if we can get people to see it.

johnnyFive  ·  447 days ago  ·  link  ·

Unfortunately that's a big "if" these days.

BurnTheBarricade  ·  453 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hours After FOSTA Passes, Reddit Bans 'Escorts' and 'SugarDaddy' Communities

It's all part of a move to a sanitized social media platform. Which is a shame, since I tried for a long time to ignore the fact that it was turning into Facebook with strangers. Hopefully the niche subreddits will still keep their communities, which is really the only reason I go there now.

Quatermass  ·  452 days ago  ·  link  ·

It absolutely is. Reddit was at its best when it was essentially a hub for random guru sites and insights into people's lives - the big subreddits, especially the defaults have been getting all the attention and advertising revenue, but the real gold has been down in the niche communities. And now it looks like they're moving to stomp out all that individuality and make the whole site into a series of ugly identikit pages serving up a bland paste that appeals to advertisers and investors.

And, coincidentally, here I am experimenting on Hubski all of a sudden, and I'm probably not the only person in this boat...

johnnyFive  ·  453 days ago  ·  link  ·

Agreed. /r/neutralpolitics and some of the religion-oriented subs are about the only places I post anymore.