6d6rpg's comments
6d6rpg  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: When humour games aren't funny

I'm always interested in what others are saying in response to the posts. The best way to get more responses is to ask questions of your own.

6d6rpg  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: When humour games aren't funny

That's mostly because I don't have any questions to ask.

In this I would say it is possible to make a game where the intent is humour. It works best when the game is the straight man. It presents an unusual situation, plays it seriously and lets the players be the source of humour, based on extrapolation of ideas.

Devac  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, we might come from different paths here. In my, admittedly short, experience with RPGs it's rather hard and to pull off would need both recognizable and relateable premise while making it capable of twisting reasonable input into absurd (but fitting the setting rules) consequence. Feels much less doable straight from the get-go and fairly possible as something emergent in the setting. Paranoia seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

But in the end, it's about what person in question finds as humorous. Probably the most subjective aspect of personality there could be all things considered. I was not intending to crush your spirit or discourage, but that was my feeling of the situation.

As of lack of questions etc: noted. Sorry, that was not about forcing you to respond but I do prefer dialogue over stating opinion to hang there. Could you give me some tips on making a good points for you to purchase and go on from something, or are you not interested? That's not a judgement, I'm just wondering if there's a way to enable it if you think that's a good idea from your end.

6d6rpg  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·

sigh. I was so bloody careful with the proof reading. Sorry.

Devac  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hah, don't worry. It's a jab at the situation, not being full-on dicks about it ;). Truth be told, if I was a bit less awake when reading I would be almost 100% likely to completely miss that. Having said that, I can help with proof-reading. That's a genuine offer, like others I made. Since English is not my native language I might actually end-up being more meticulous on the job.

Anyway, do you have some questions? I never even know if you get anything from responses you gather from others. I know it takes time, but you rarely if ever leave follow-up questions. That's not a criticism, just a general 'survey' style question.

6d6rpg  ·  926 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's mostly because I don't have any questions to ask.

Devac  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·

6d6rpg  ·  925 days ago  ·  link  ·

6d6rpg  ·  934 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 6d6 and the Giant Fighting Robot

The next page, previous page is something I've been asking the webmaster for for a while. I'll asking them again when the next big project is finished.

Devac  ·  934 days ago  ·  link  ·

Look at Docnavigation plugin and/or show it to designer :D. I'm fairly certain that adding necessary tags can be automated with some Bash/Python script.

6d6rpg  ·  935 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 6d6 and the Giant Fighting Robot

The setting would be a new IP.

If you go to http://6d6rpg.com/wiki/doku.php?id=open:settings:generic:book you'll find a big long list of the paths and advantages used to make a character in 6d6. To start with we're looking for suggestions for these.

Devac  ·  934 days ago  ·  link  ·

The setting would be a new IP.

M, sorry. I meant to ask about the flavor. There is a massive difference in general world tone when one compares this with this. They might look similar, but just comparing 40k Mech 'Pilot' with Battletech Pilot shows rather broad disparity while both being surprisingly focused on big battle robots.

Thanks! I'll try to read-up about it and cook something.

As of wiki… I actually wanted to ask you about some of the design decisions. Would it be possible to have 'next page' and 'previous page' functions? Perhaps I'm missing something like that consistently, but it's a bit annoying to constantly go back to section contents and then selecting next bit. That's hardly even a complaint, more of a suggestion if anything. I think that there was some easy way to do it with Doku Wiki code/plugin to generate these within namespace, but it has been a while for me ;).

6d6rpg  ·  934 days ago  ·  link  ·

Devac  ·  934 days ago  ·  link  ·

6d6rpg  ·  936 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 2400 things Mr. Welch can no longer do during an RPG

A classic piece of RPG humour.

Devac  ·  935 days ago  ·  link  ·

Apparently classic. I didn't knew about it around the time this was posted +/- fifteen minutes.

There is also a very similar in style list about What X-COM Operatives are NOT Allowed to Do :D.

6d6rpg  ·  957 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Tabletop rpg: how to be a better GM

I've often found it easier to start with a broad campaign idea and then work with interested players to put together characters that fit. It helps with my immersion a bit; I've had a couple of campaigns where the links holding the party together have become credibility stretchingly tenuous.

6d6rpg  ·  961 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 171st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

Codes in the Clouds as the Spirit Wanes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_the_Spirit_Wanes

6d6rpg  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Reviewing Rewind: Temporal Tales

mmm

You'd have drop all the character stats and resolution mechanics. Mechanically, the bits I'd keep would be the tracking of timelines and the earning of experience every time a new end point in the time loop is reached.

The author doesn't discuss this, as the game in intended to be stand alone.

Devac  ·  962 days ago  ·  link  ·

Interesting. To be honest, I have been looking for something like that to use for Mage The Ascension and it does seem like a neat fit. However I must say that the author is missing a lot of traction from not thinking about 'porting' it.

I think I'll pick-up that task around summer, but no promises on that ;P.

6d6rpg  ·  969 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Hubpages Article: Handling Game Flow in Tabletop RPGs

I think one of things the players in our long running play be e-mail Star Wars D20 game have accepted is it's slow pace. Sometimes things don't happen for weeks, even months if we're changing GM between stories.

I've found that game flow can be inversely proportional to the familiarity of the players. The more the groups I play in know each other, the more likely the are to chat and digress.

Devac  ·  969 days ago  ·  link  ·

Hah! I have actually a completely different experience in that regard :D. Usually I'm getting off-topic discussions early on and later they get either invested or don't want one of my… adjusted and inventive interpretations on what was said in character if they side-track too much ;).

Just to make it clear, I'm very trying to be fair, but as a GM I'm usually enforcing discipline and modicum of focus by repeatedly reminding them of my table rule: If off-topic conversation carries for too long (usually around three to five minutes, I have an hourglass exactly for that purpose) I can exercise full liberty on what was said in character. After one or two "Damn, what kind of a moron would think like that?!" or "That's just nasty!" or similar phrases assumed to be said to party benefactor things get much more streamlined for a session or two ;].

6d6rpg  ·  970 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Turning an extended fetch quest into a campaign

There's certainly value is having Sophietta's granddaughter join the party. It could be a very epic way of introducing a new player character. You'd have to be careful so that the Red Set wouldn't be too powerful or too weak. I'd be cautious about giving the party an escort quest. They can be difficult as the main focus switches away from the player characters.

Devac  ·  970 days ago  ·  link  ·

Red Set wouldn't be too powerful or too weak

Make it advance along the character! Same gear, rising abilities and emergence of some cool powers that might fit the character. We are talking about a lot of objects with magical nature having a synergetic effect. It could as well be not understood by mages, considering the effort to make one and research.

There is something like that in Earthdawn RPG. It's called Soul Weaving if memory serves. The more you uncover about yourself and history of the object the souls of both (in Earthdawn literally everything has a soul, think of the Force from Star Wars) get in sync more and more. That rusty old dagger you got from your grandfather… it's just a knife, but for you its a memento. That's sync level 1. Maybe it cuts rope better or something.

During adventuring some dwarf recalls that you look like its previous wielder, remembers the moment when adventurers grandfather saved him from slavers. He explains to you more about its past and about the island where you met. Adventure or two later, they might find their way there and discover… more feats that involved this dagger. Maybe more people who freed by it, or a slaver with a nasty scar instantly feeling hatred for the wielder, despite not really recognizing the dagger itself. Etc etc. You can get at about as high as you want. One of my players actually passed his literal mantle on his son, telling him that people will remember the human in the green cloak. His son now will be recovering the past of his father by means of legend that he left, his mark on the world.

Damn, now I want to play me some Earthdawn again!

Certainly a good idea. Make the ending reveal a tragic one. The end boss becomes dealing with a sense of deep pathos.

6d6rpg  ·  971 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What's your favorite passage or quote?

Mark Twain — 'There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.'

6d6rpg  ·  972 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Overenthusiastic tagging of #spam in #rpg

Thank you for your kind words.

Dear Hubski

I am very sorry to hear that my (roughly) weekly posting of the content of our RPG blog has caused such division amongst the community. It was never my intent to bore or to offend. I have a selection of sentences to express:

* In future the 6d6rpg account will be making a greater effort to engage with the Hubski community. I've found this difficult in the past because of the quietness of the #RPG tag. I'll start browsing global more often and hopefully find something I feel I have something to contribute to.

* A good way to help me engage more with the community are comments on what I've posted, of which there are few. What #RPG content does Hubski want to read? I'm always on the look out and am receptive to new ideas for stories and adventures.

* All posts by 6d6rpg are hand posted and are not reposted here by an SEO bot. The text around the post may be similar because it is damned hard to write good copy and I tend to copy+paste what little I have.

Yours

@6d6rpg

thenewgreen  ·  972 days ago  ·  link  ·

Well, that was a very nice comment, thank you for posting it. I want to mention that from where I sit neither yourself or Rangergames has posted anything that is at all controversial or worth blocking or banning etc. Hubski exists for people to share personal content. We welcome it. There is no doubt that you will get more interaction from the community if you're more involved in it, but that is a suggestion and not a mandate. We have tools to combat the wrongful tagging of posts as spam. Namely, the community tag.

If users don't like a particular site, they can either ignore the user or the sites domain. I think that more than anything what this entire thread is showing me is that people aren't aware of the tools at their disposal. If they are aware of them, perhaps they are not using them correctly. Also, there seems to be a disconnect in what is and is not "permissible" on Hubski. If someone has a website and they want to post links to their website, go for it! A lot of time and work goes into making those websites and that original content. If it's good, chances are people will share it and interact with it. Another Takeaway is that if someone tags something as spam and I am not filtering the spam tag, it should have no impact on me.

We discussed much of this on our Hubski team call last night and there are some corrections coming. But, please don't think you've done anything wrong. Personal content is not a sin

user-inactivated  ·  972 days ago  ·  link  ·

That's actually a very thoughtful response to all of this noise. Thank you.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not actually causing all that much division. Different members on here just view content differently, as is evident in this thread. Besides, Hubski users love to discuss Hubski meta. I think it's a reflection about how much this place actually means to a lot of us.

While I can't say that I've read any of your postings (though after this positive post I'm inclined to check you out), I do game a bit myself. I mostly play D&D. I cut my teeth on 2nd ed. (I don't miss THAC0), loved 3.5, hated 4th, and am indifferent to 5th. One of my buds is an avid gamer, playing an RPG ruleset that catches his fancy, mainstream or homebrew. I've been trying to get him to join Hubski for forever, so I might point him your direction to get him interested.

Keep being awesome and I hope you have a good day.

6d6rpg  ·  972 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thank you for your kind words.

user-inactivated  ·  972 days ago  ·  link  ·
This comment has been deleted.