Share good ideas and conversation.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
ooli's profile

Don't be offended by my poor English. My French is almost worst.

Under one pseudonym I write books for children

Under another I write sleazy funny crime stories

Why so many pseudo? Because I'm scared to death about loosing my privacy. I wrote a short thriller about it with another pseudonym, just weeks before the Snowden reveal.

My antagonist villain company milking users-data to control the world was named "I23"... Then Google renamed itself "Alphabet" , why not "abc" ?!... They are onto me!!

And with a friend we just started a blog about our real passion football (his) and Reality-Tv (mine)

following: 187
followed tags: 57
followed domains: 2
badges given: 11 of 12
member for: 2089 days
style: dark

comments 0
ooli  ·  link  ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone tried Vivaldi?

I used Qupzilla for a while... Cant remember why I stopped using it. I'm on Palemoon now. But Qupzilla was super fast if I remember well

is there an easy way to short sell bitcoin? Else it will reach the infiny, and mining will consume more electricity than all the world

This remind me how Reddit cracked a "code" in 2 day for the FBI a few years back.

The FBI (or CIA) asked people for help about a 5 sentences code in a murder affair. Someone on reddit (who was under medication) proved it was not a code but just short hand for anti-psychotic drug prescription , the user probably kept on him as a reminder.

That was pretty neat.. i like the energy to find that thread again, but it was really good.

EDIT: Or may be reddit didnt because the FBI still asking for help :

(sorry commenting on my own post)

invisibility cloak.. not so effective:

    He went unda da invisibility cloke and started to meow loudly.

    "EXCUS ME! EXCUS ME WHO SED DAT!" yelled Mr. Norris. Den he heard Filch meow. "Filth is der any1 unda da cloak!" he asked. Filth nodded.

Voldemort revealed:

    "He didn't have a nose (basically like Voldemort in the movie) and he was wearing all black but it was obvious he wasn't gothic. It was...... Voldemort!"
ooli  ·  link  ·  parent  ·  post: Is Mindfulness Meditaton BS? Yes

I copy pasted the title.. because it was so good. Did you notice the lacking 'i' .. not mindful enough ;)

More seriously. The point he make at the beginning hold:

-Meditation as a stress reliever, is not better than exercise

-Meditation as a spiritual tool, is highly inefficient. No Nirvana anytime soon

-Meditation as a fad, is tiresome.. everyone I know and their dog are meditating.. And keep Zenplaining to me how good and aware they became

To this day I cannot grasp how France fucked this up : France had 20 years of experience with monetizing an online network before the internet was a thing. And the Minitel was in almost every household. The terminal was free (or very cheap), and in the 90' , from memory , all the people I knew had one at home. Even the less technological-minded people.

Ok, the minitel services were overpriced, and it was mostly porn chat-room, fake dating site, ads, and silly low-res game...

But the dude making money out of it should have known what would work for the www. They didnt obviously. No google, no fb, no itunes coming from France

you mean the platform where they sold data of teen having insecurities to marketers... you can trust it, they just want to help, what could go wrong :]

What I like so much about google is how inherently bad they are. They failed at anything that is not ads, or data/user-work extraction.

They have the most money in the world, the best mind in the best working environment, the most trapped customer/users/workforce, the most data, they choose the headlines... and .. all their grand plan are utmost failure.

  Everyone was talking about their glass. That was the future. They spend a shit-ton of money. The fad lasted 6 month.. more surprisingly Apple followed the proven failure trend with their watch.. Blind leading the blinds

  Google+ .. it was launched with such a bravado, forcing anyone who made a google-search once in their life to have an account, or something. Outing trans, ruining life in the process.. The "new facebook" is a failure.

  Last year that was the self-driving car. It made the headline (because google own the headlines) every time the car made a turn. It seems it's a dead end. I heard they sold their software and the self-driving business for a penny. Because it's shit, I guess.

  Now the AI. Every time they beat a Go-player, or something, we heard how great their AI is. It's probably another turd, because the headlines are already on the decline.

They are so bad at making anything else than selling ad.. It's funny.

That's my only solace: I can laugh at my overlord. While they still pouring money in a new dung-pile, and selling my data, and making me do the work to better their software/search-engine

you're already paying b telling google where you are, or where you shop. That's how they make the maps good. That's how they make the search engine good: by processing what link people used after a search.

It's a nice business model : make the user work for you. The captcha to create an account on hubski is a way to train the google image recognition software.

But all of that is mere value extracting compared to amazon, who sell anything anywhere anytime to anybody

thanks again for doing the sane work

Do you have an opinion about historical gender bending personna. The male actor, dressed as women during Shakeaspear era, the chevalier d'eon .. Probably a lot more, I dont know about..

In your opinion could it be related to trans (before the era of surgery and medication) or has probably nothing to do with it

ooli  ·  link  ·  parent  ·  post: /quit: X-COM 2

X-Com randomness is bad because a bad roll might screw you, and a good one is not satisfying.

Compares to a roguelike.. You have ton of random stuff adding up: you roll for Initiative, then for hit chance, then for enemy dodge, then critical hit, then damage. And the odd of have the worst outcome, or the best one, are pretty slim. It's satisfying when everything goes your way (init / hit /Critical / max damage), it's not so bad when everything goes bad because you hardly can be 1-hit killed.

If I remember correctly the first X-Com (from the 90's in DOS) was a bit more like a RL (you had more crew member, each with more hitpoint, and the aliens did not get the weird first move when spotted, those were alleviating part of the randomness).. It was still infuriating at time.

Giving more hit point to your soldiers and to alien would be a great way to make the randomness more manageable. But like the 90's version (or a RL) it will become very tedious when you exchange fire for a few round with almost no effect.

Another frustrating bit is the fake randomess. In my experience it happen in X-Com. And developer explained how they did it in Civ5: Player expected to win almost every time when shown a 80% win chance. And win half the time with a 20% chance. So they developed a system to mimic those expectation. In the end, the percentage does not make any mathematical sense. And when fight after fight, you experience a 99% success rate on a 80% shown rate, it become more frustrating the 1 time when you miss.

Tricking player brain, even for their own enjoyment, always backfire in my opinion.

Playing "Tales of Maj Eyal" (800+ hours so far). A Very pretty , rich and enjoyable roguelike... You can be almost 1-hitted but you probably had it coming when it happen.

posts and shares 3/3