As usual, not all are true.
• Le Grand K, the cylinder of polished platinum-iridium alloy stored in a Paris vault since 1889, will be retired in May 2019 in favor of a definition of mass based on the Planck constant.
• Magnus Carlsen, winner of the 2018 World Chess Championship, plays bullet chess.
• During the 2006 WCC, a dispute over the bathroom caused Vladimir Kramnik to forfeit Game 5.
• Volcanoes are scored from zero to eight on the Volcanic Explosivity Index. The most violent recent eruptions were Samalas in 1257 and Mount Tambora in 1815, both in Indonesia. Each scored 7 (Krakatoa got a 6).
• An artifical intelligence algorithm using deep learning can detect fear of heights, mathematical skill level, and perfect pitch with 90% accuracy by examining images of the retina.
• An anime fan advanced the mathematical field of superpermutations with a post on 4chan.
• The world's longest sea bridge, at 55 kilometers, opened connecting Hong Kong and mainland China via Macau.
Our Lady of Carmel Church, apt setting for a future Neal Stephenson novel: Street View