It's a really stupid way to do what they're trying to do.
Here's a guess: They Pareto Principled their way to "80 percent of these interactions are bone simple, we just need to fisher-price together some speech recognition and iterative learning and fuck all the rest" without realizing that it's the 20 percent they're willing to scrub that are going to form the basis of everyone's experience.
left implicit that an advantage of doing it the sane way is being able to assume that if a business isn't providing a way for customers to automate talking to them, they don't want customers to automate talking to them.
I mean, let's say I open a nail salon tomorrow. I'm going to google "nail salon scheduling website" and top hit is fuckin' $25 a month. Google ain't disintermediating shit at that price. So... who am I scheduling with? What tasks am I solving? because lemme tell ya - if you've got a business, you're being plastered with offers to do this shit for you. If you aren't doing online booking now, you aren't doing it for a reason. Like us. We have two warring EMRs (one for midwifery, one for naturopathic medicine) that refuse to talk. One of them will schedule Google and CalDAV because they think they're HIPAA-compliant. One of them won't because they explicitly have stated that they don't think either are. We've got to hand-collate. Google's robot is only going to eliminate our ability to talk to the client.
So Google is doing it because they don't want you using everyone else's platform. They want to lock you in that sweet, sweet Alexa silo. Google, the first name of the Internet, wants to get your ass off the web and sitting there natural languaging your way through their vertical integration.
You walk regularly from home to work. Microsoft and Apple will tell you that the route you take sucks and that you should use their toll road. Facebook and Google will throw up a barricade and waylay you on the way. When you gripe to Microsoft or Apple, Facebook and Google will cut them in on a share and Microsoft and Apple will tell you that the highwayman fee is a value add.