I wanted to know your views on this issue..
Some of my points
In Favor of abolishing it:
1. It is inhumane and uncivilized and against right to life and throwback to medieval practice
2. If innocent person is, by mistake, hanged, no amount of justice can be done
3. It doesn't act as deterrence
4. About 140 countries have abolished it, mainly in Europe
Against abolishing it:
1. It is given only in rarest of rare cases in case of heinous crimes
2. It confers right on victim, to justice
3. It acts as deterrence to some extent
4. For punishing masterminds behind international terrorism, it is required.
My points seem theoretical to some extent, I need some deeper insight on whether it should be retained or not, and a concrete stand on it..
I hope to get some help in this regard:)