Some folks expressed interest in a thread to talk about the clothes I've made/am making, so here we go, in order of recency.
Shirt 4 in action! I intend to mainly wear it under sweaters and stuff, partly to hide the mistakes.
Made with 2 yards of black cotton fabric and 1/2 yard of polka dot.
Cost: around $11. Still have about 1/2 yard of polka dot fabric left over, enough for a bowtie!
Issues: Sleeves shrunk a bit in the wash. Accidentally set up one of the button bands on the wrong side of the shirt, so I actually set up the buttons in reverse - buttons on the left, slits on the right.
3 yards flannel elephant print.
Cost: around $10. Made several small microphone sleeves from the excess.
Issues: not thrilled with the cuffs. I had some issues making the buttonholes on this one, but I figured things out by the end. This was the first shirt I made with a rotary cutter instead of scissors, and it was much faster. At this point, the cutting process takes about 1 hour, the sewing process takes 2 hours, and buttons/fine-tuning takes another 1 hour.
Note: this is mid-process (before hems) and I am wearing a striped t-shirt underneath it, so it looks a little wonky.
2 yards polka dot flannel.
Cost: around $7.
Issues: No major technical errors, but in retrospect, I don't love this fabric. I would definitely prefer blue base with white polka dots.
The genesis. 3 yard of wolf flannel.
Cost: I think it was around $6 for 4 yards because of a flash-sale.
Issues: Lots of beginner issues. I ended up re-making and re-stitching the collar and sleeves one times each, and I accidentally sewed everything on a 1 inch seam instead of a 5/8ths inch seam, so it is pretty tight.
Made this for Halloween for my boyfriend. Bargain fabric, and the eyes glow in the dark! I originally wanted to make a black shirt with a pocket that had this fabric, but I didn't have enough leftover fabric. Fun fact, I actually started out sewing by making bowties, about 5 years ago. This one is fully tie-able, as the good lord intended.
Cost: about around $2. Only took about 1/2 yard of fabric.
Plans for the future: I am going to be making a red room themed shirt for halloween. It's going to be styled like Shirt 4, with red as the base and black/white chevron for the banding/collar.