zebra2's comments
zebra2  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 17, 2018

Last week I won a bid on a Yamaha PC-100. It arrives tomorrow.

This week I won a Casio VL-1, the infamous half-calculator half-synthesizer. I'm starting to become an addict.

If that's your zone, you need a CZ-101.

At one point I had a CZ-101 and a VZ-1. They were great if what you mostly wanted to do was score Sailor Moon.

zebra2  ·  7 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 261st Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

zebra2  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Anyone into '80s japanese city pop

Yes! This melody was also referenced in a great Mac DeMarco track.

zebra2  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Let's talk podcasts! What've you been listening to?
johan  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I had to stop listening to it on the bus because of all the weird looks from me giggling.

zebra2  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I found my new radio station

I love my local eccentric college radio station. The other day this came with my evening commute.

zebra2  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 10, 2018

I know those pages! ;)

I'll drink some of the bourbon I brought home from KY.

Music

I commissioned a pixel artist to do some art for my music project and I got this cool scene out of it:

I also won an auction on a cheap and cheesy Yamaha PC-100 which should be arriving in the near future.

Other stuff

I put up an easel in my living room and I've been idly painting watercolors. It's fun, and maybe I'll eventually have some decent paintings to show for it.

rezzeJ  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think this is my favourite piece of yours that I've heard. There's a delicious vibe to it.

Have you heard of Marconi Union? I think you will dig them if this piece is anything to go by:

steve  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

WOW! I love this track.... like... A LOT. Thanks for sharing it! (and rendezvous with ramen is excellent as well)

zebra2  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: January 3, 2018

Happy bday! We're almost birthday buddies, I'm tomorrow.

zebra2  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 20, 2017

Technically possible.

I did it through facebook marketplace actually.

Also, don't tell anyone, but shopgoodwill is also a good site to find these things below the standard going price.

So last week I went out and bought a Tascam Portastudio 4 track tape deck.

Yes, I actually spent $60 on a old piece of recording equipment you can barely buy media for. It's in really nice shape, actually, after wiping off some mysterious gunk that it came with. I got it to experiment with some lofi/ambient sounds in my music, in no small part inspired by AMULETS, and so far it's really cool. I could potentially use it as a one-stop studio for analog recording too, assuming I learn how to use it that way. Coming from always having used a DAW, it makes me appreciate the trials and tribulations our ancestors in music went through.

I've also been having a ton of fun poking around with electronics. I made a variation of the Atari Punk Console that has an eight-step sequencer via 4017 chip, and all the variable resistors are photoresistors, so it works like a kind of light theremin. I have all the stuff to start etching my own circuit boards, but I haven't tried one yet. I'm also beginning to get a grip on understanding 555 timers and OP amps. I think I'll be doing lots of soldering in 2018.

flac  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh hey, I own that exact 4 track too. It's what I recorded most of my first 2 EPs on, and I still get some use out of it these days. There's a good YouTube channel called something like "Recording 424", I'll dig it up after work. Has some good tutorials for using this particular doohickey.

goobster  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh man... you can get a Portastudio for $60?!?

Quickly starts searching seattle.craigslist.org...

zebra2  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Technically possible.

I did it through facebook marketplace actually.

zebra2  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 257th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

This is an album from another artist in my "cohort" when I was doing the solo album month challenge. It's pretty pleasant to listen to.

zebra2  ·  34 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: In the Maze

There's a reason straight, liberal white men have no patience with all the campus activism, "Emma Sulkowicz’s Mattress Performance," and the general recasting of the straight white male as the default enemy of progress, happiness and general freedom of thought. At best, we're required to accept that we're the root problem of all the world's evils, if not by choice than by culture, by breeding, by genetics, by history and by circumstance. At worst, if we're not with you we're against you.

This is one thing that's been on my mind a lot. I actually wonder if this is one of the key ingredients that has aided the uprising of the alt-right and the popular resurgence of nationalism.

The article does a great job at typecasting the white straight male specimen and probing the inner workings of his psyche. It's hard to not read that have your eyes roll. It's also hard to understand how this could be not-obvious to someone who's typing it out. It's profiling and it breeds resentment. Then, potentially, resentment breeds bigotry.

When I was in undergrad there was a big, controversial, racially-charged event on campus. I had some white left-leaning friends that quickly learned that you can't attempt an intellectual line of discussion that deviates from the campus-progressive view without getting absolutely shit on.

If you're already liberal it's a confusing and alienating experience. If you're not then it affirms and hardens any sort or rejection of progressiveness you may hold.

Right now I frequently listen to college radio that regularly has social progress PSAs and one of the implicit messages is that white straight male voices aren't important.

zebra2  ·  44 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: My album is out: Elk Bird - Exclusion Zone

Thanks! I imagined this would be suited for listening while studying or folding socks or something like that. I'm also really curious to find out what people pick out as their favorites.

zebra2  ·  47 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: December 6, 2017

For the moment I am entirely preoccupied with this album release on Friday.

I’ve been running around social media trying to do a bit of promotion and junk, but I can’t expect all that much for returns on it since no one knew it existed until five days ago. Predictably the results are modest. Still, it’s kinda fun trying to manufacture popularity for your work.

I also did a synth soldering kit. It’s a cheap Arduino-based unit, but it was lots of fun. I think I’ll be doing lots of soldering after the holidays.

zebra2  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: November 29, 2017

It sounds like a very interesting exercise to keep a journal, and I keep wondering if I should keep one. The closest thing I have to a journal right now is pubski, really.

War  ·  54 days ago  ·  link  ·

It's definitely an experience to keep a journal. I found my writing to be a lot more truthful. It's definitely a place you can be brutally honest and still consider it healthy because no one is going to read it besides you. In some of my entries I'm a whiny little shit, but I can't be angry with myself because I would have preferred that whining to go on in the pages of a book no one will read rather than in my everyday life.