We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
zebra2's comments
zebra2  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Blade Runner 2049 Discussion Thread [Spoilers!]

Totally a draft comment. Not sure why it posted. I'll have to finish it now.

I saw it the other night and I thought it was great. Blade Runner 2049 spoilers ahead, obviously:

I really liked that they preserved the pacing and feel of the original. The pacing was an essential part of the atmosphere-building in the first one. Lots of modern blockbusters dump this for whatever reason and end up feeling hollow or rushed.

I didn't feel like the plot was somehow lacking. It was a great exploration into how one is defined by memory, and the humanity/artificiality themes were handled in a persuasive and not overly ham-handed way. The emotionlessness was thematically important. For K, the numbness was mainly a facade that you get too see crack in the scene with that memory lab thing. For Joi, it's easy to see her as entirely unreal, yet Joi's story arc mirrored K's with the self-sacrifice and all. In the end, it doesn't really spell out if there was anything other than a desire-fulfilling program in Joi, or any genuine uniqueness or individuality. If there's a sliding scale of artificiality-to-humanity, she's on the less human side, yet K relates strongly to her for obvious reasons.

I thought both the aesthetic and music were done excellently. Definitely in league with the first, even if the soundtrack doesn't have as much replay-ability as Vangelis', which is totally understandable.

demure  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Draft comment? Or did it not save the whole thing?

zebra2  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·

Totally a draft comment. Not sure why it posted. I'll have to finish it now.

zebra2  ·  14 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 247th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

zebra2  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I made some vaporwave crap

That’s good insight. One of the artists that I’ve been into recently (who I just posted about in the other music thread) is Baths, and he throws a lot of unpredictable wrenches into his songs. After a while you start to realize there are specific motifs that get used over and over to create that unpredictability though.

I think it’s really about developing certain things that work, outside the predictable set of musical tropes. Then, when the toolbox is big enough, you can throw in these well-refined motifs and not have it seem like you’re doing exactly that.

Related comic I saw on reddit a couple minutes ago:

Also I’m gonna check out that BoC album. I’ve listened to them a bit but haven’t found a good place to really dive in.

rezzeJ  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

Whilst from one perspective what veen said isn't wrong , it's not definitive. There's plenty of incredible and interesting music that eschews the quality of 'catchiness' and the predicitable-but-not-too-predictable approach. That's not to mention forms such as electroacoustic/acousmatic music which are unbound from traditional notions of pitch, rhythm and instrumentation, which are all things we would would consider essential foundations to basically the entirety of western popular music forms. Instead they explore texture, sound gestures, and the transformation/processing of sound sources.

Here's 4 different examples of unpredictable and un-catchy music from 4 different genres:

Oneohtrix Point Never aka Daniel Lopatin, aka the pioneer of Vaporwave - Americans (experimental ambient)

The Physics House Band - Abraxical Solapse (prog rock)

Dennis Smalley - Wind Chimes (acoustmatic music)

Doom Salad - Relax Drank (jazz fusion)

As you can hopefully hear, all interesting pieces of music with great composition, musical moments, and ideas. Yet I don't think you would rush to call them 'catchy' or 'predictable'.

The point is this: don't let anyone tell you what music should be. The only person who decides that is you. That's not to say that you should shut your ears to criticism or feedback. Of course you shouldn't. But personally I become wary when people start making definitive statements like "music is interesting if..." (not hating on you veen!).

Aim to listen as much music as possible and seek to understand the works and ideas of those who you admire and/or are better than you. After some time (a lot of time) you will start to form your own conception of how catchy, predictable or <insert any other musical quality here> your music needs to be.

veen  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·

I think you're right too - it depends greatly on what you want to do with your music. My advice came directly from the book The Song Machine which is about the history of pop music. I figured that a good, reachable first goal would be to make a song that would be good enough to share on Facebook or something like that. Then, once you got the basics down, write songs that are unpredictable and explore new avenues.

This is actually a snapshot of an ongoing effort to sit down and record something every time I have a free afternoon to allow it. I’m not as cynical about the process as I might seem. I’m actually quite pleased with how it is progressing.

Often times I’ll make something where there’s not even a semi-redeemable part in it. But even those nights are educational since I learn a particular setup or approach that is not a good way to make music.

Like, last night I spent a few minutes literally spinning in alternating clockwise and counterclockwise circles trying to untangle myself from cables. Fixing issues like that goes a long way towards being able to just make music and not waste time fiddling with technical issues.

zebra2  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 246th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

I’ve found out about Baths recently.

Thanks man! Maybe I’ll have to pump out some more vaporwave stuff. It’s really pretty fun to make.

steve  ·  20 days ago  ·  link  ·

I promise it's even more fun to listen to

zebra2  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Deckard's Dream — analog synth/DIY kit

Well I had affordability in mind when I saw the $350 on the preorder page, not so much for the actual price which doesn't even include components. I think I'll go the PAiA route.

Still, fetishism with old tech in music is pretty much the standard, so I'm not at all surprised people will drool over the $3.5k price tag.

For $350 with parts it'd rip. But as I pointed out below, the chips alone for this thing are over $500. Each pot is gonna be like $3. The rest of the parts are likely cheap... but if they aren't even going to tell you, I mean WTF man.

I think everyone fetishes until they get ahold of something and then they let go. I remember how cool that little Teenaged Engineering thing was until I realized they were selling it for more than a Korg X3 cost new. And yeah - that's 20 years ago but it's also a 32-track sequencer workstation with a full 61-key keyboard.

I didn't realize the DIY kit came without the components included. That makes it a lot tougher and a lot pricier. Plus their price on the page is deceptive. The full price is paid once it ships :/

steve  ·  28 days ago  ·  link  ·

agreed... their pricing scheme is pretty dang deceptive.

zebra2  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 20, 2017

The edits are dope. I especially like the glitch art thing going on in the first one.

rd95  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Thanks! That was the first glitch one I made that went well. I'm trying to figure out how to recreate some of the glitches you see when you're OTA TV signal gets messed up, but it's harder than it looks. This one obviously, looks nothing like any of those glitches, I just wanted to make something to emphasize the look of panic on her face.

I'm yet again burnt-out on science. Every time I think it's really a product of the current environment that bogs me down, but this time the pattern is starting to look apparent. I don't have the patience and fortitude to stick it out in academia, and even if I could compete there I don't think I'd want that life. I already know a QC-ish job would have me miserably bored. There's only so many careers that have a clear path from my terminal degree and I'm staring to rule them out one-by-one. I need to start looking at unconventional career paths. It I have no clue what to do.

oyster  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

Beekeeping !

ButterflyEffect  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

briandmyers are you still around?

briandmyers  ·  33 days ago  ·  link  ·

No, I'm not... :-)

ButterflyEffect  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·

Oh wow! That was unexpected. In order of importance:

1. How have you been!?

2. How are your bees doing!?

briandmyers  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm fine. No offense to anyone here intended, it's a wonderful online community; but I made a deliberate decision a while back, to avoid hubski and a few other online reading sources that I was a little addicted to, in favour of re-claiming some of my free time for more deliberate reading (i.e real books), and listening to music. Some recent examples are The Expanse books, and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" (both recommended). As far as point two, sadly, I have not had bees for the last two seasons. I may install a swarm this Spring if one presents itself, though. Would be nice to have some girls around the house again. Thanks for asking :-)

zebra2  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: September 13, 2017

I remember that. It's a perfect representation of the experience in my mind.

I recall people going both ways on how to interpret it. Thinking back now, I wonder if there was a trend with how people interpreted it depending on their pre- vs. post-grad status.

I know that feeling. Hell, I'm dealing with that feeling now. Education and academia are nice in a sense because you are moving along a nicely-carved path with goalposts and achievements, but then you get to the end and you're not too sure where you're moving towards anymore.

If you lean on that metaphor really hard, then you should be able to conclude that the end of the trail presents an opportunity for exploration and discovery or some shit. I haven't figured out how to translate that into reality though.

AnSionnachRua  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

I saw this yonks ago on Reddit with the title "Life Until Graduation", which can be interpreted either as representing emptiness or freedom depending on your point of view.

zebra2  ·  40 days ago  ·  link  ·

I remember that. It's a perfect representation of the experience in my mind.

zebra2  ·  59 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: August 23, 2017

An LA meetup? Keep me in the loop. Presumably I'll be around.