zebra2's comments
zebra2  ·  4 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 20, 2018

I won at Diplomacy! Here's the conquest by Russia in tiny, pixelated format:

Also I uploaded a 30 minute version of the rain sounds I synthesized.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  3 days ago  ·  link  ·

Молодец, товарищ. :)

zebra2  ·  5 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Ask Hubski: Do any of you live in or have a home in Iceland?

I've been super interested in going there ever since I found out you can get tickets there for really cheap. I'm no help but let me know how it goes!

zebra2  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

Yeah, I don't know if I buy that really.

I'm 99% sure that if I showed this to the "remarkable local roaster who operates quasi-legally out of a sick loft and specializes in light—but not too light!—roasts" that I know, he'd get a kick out of it.

It seems all the coffee aficionados that eschew pompous coffee culture have their panties in a bunch about it, though.

all the coffee aficionados that eschew pompous coffee culture

I wonder why

zebra2  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

Oh man, I didn't think people would find this parody so alien. It's a hilarious summation of basically every artisan coffee place in southern CA. It's a caricature, sure, but I've witnessed some variant of every bit the author takes a potshot at.

But I guess if you're saying

Even at a Starbucks

then this will probably be unrelatable.

ButterflyEffect  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

You can key in on the one mention at Starbucks, or you can key in on the 95% of the response that relates to either making my own coffee or going to what should be the same kind of shops as the author of this article.

But, maybe that's just SoCal for you.

Naaah c'mon man even Bulletproof would be pissed off at this article and Bulletproof is a self-parody.

zebra2  ·  8 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yeah, I don't know if I buy that really.

all the coffee aficionados that eschew pompous coffee culture

I wonder why

I go back and forth from Riverside twice a week on top of my regular commute in the opposite direction, so LA is no biggie.

The closest one to me is in Claremont, but I am indeed within striking distance of basically all their stores.

Shit you live in outer space. But hey, you have a car. We'll figure something out.

zebra2  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

This article could be biographical of me though. I have indeed gone many times to a quasi-legal coffee roaster based in an industrial garage (until they got booted). They did indeed treat their beans the way the article describes. They even had a rare batch sourced from one of the few growers in China. I make a Chemex pot, like, every day. If I can’t find other people at work to give it out too I end up drinking a whole pot myself. Snark aside this article is the millennial coffee experience.

Bah. You can let go of that shit.

Good beans, freshly roasted, freshly ground, done drip. That's it. I used to do mine through a filter holder into a thermos (per Alton Brown) until it became way too handy to have that pot done at 5:30am so now I have a fancy-pants Quisinart but all it does is drip hot water on grounds and put it in a carafe. That whole Chemex thing is dumb. So long as you're using fresh beans and you're grinding them close to when you're using them everything else is theater.

Sucking in cgod and ButterflyEffect for reinforcements.

rezzeJ  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

I'm with you. I use a £20 hand grinder to grind some fresh beans and make a pour over in 3/4 minutes. I do it by eye, drink it black and enjoy it.

You can be pedantic about anything, I guess. But I live in one of the 'top ten hippest areas in Britain' and haven't experienced anything to level that this article is mocking, even in the most trendy of coffee places.

ButterflyEffect  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

Alright, I'll read the damn article.

Alright, apparently I need to check out Super King.

DOOD

EDIT weekends can be nutzo. And fuckin' hell if you're close enough to hit Super King we need to grab a beer.

zebra2  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

zebra2  ·  9 days ago  ·  link  ·

zebra2  ·  11 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 13, 2018

I could use some of that professional and financial optimism right now. Currently I'm having trouble not counting the reasons I have to be jaded with my career situation. I'm making about double what I was two years ago, and living nearly the same lifestyle, but after student loan payments, retirement, owning a car (which I never used to), and a bit more on rent, I'm basically not any better off than when I was living off a measly grad student stipend. I’m not ok with that.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not that bad off, but meanwhile I have friends who never went to school and are making 2+ times what I am and own houses already. Theoretically I should be able to squeeze a lot more money out of my career compared to what I am now, but that possibility shows no signs of materializing at the moment. Right now I’m stuck in a position when I know that I’m underpaid but can’t escape just yet because I’d be burning bridges and that’s just how the academic/scientific world works.

You gotta ask yourself: what do you want?

If you want to make money, academia is a shitty place to do it. If you want to explore the boundaries of knowledge and inspire new generations of inquiring minds, stay away from brokerage firms.

You also gotta realize that when you level up the game gets harder. Things were easier when you were a grad student on a stipend. Okay, but now you have a car. Now you have an IRA. Now you have a quest path. Of course the game is aggravating you got through one boss battle, you sat through the cut screen and now you've got a bunch of sidequests in order to get one marginally better sword.

The guys who graduate from my CNC program are looking at 65K a year without overtime. It's a 2-year degree. That's pretty awesome. But they're looking at a future of making parts for somebody else. I'm not even going to get a degree out of that program - I will finish unqualified for that 65k a year job. But I'm putting my time towards what I want to do - I already have the degree that makes me qualified to be their boss right fucking now and I turned my back on that career eighteen flippin' years ago.

Got a buddy. Worked for Go2Net. 2000 was not great for him. But he cashed out all his chips and went to helicopter school. If he'd stuck around in the hardscrabble dotcom world that was left after the collapse of the NASDAQ, he'd probably be a director at Microsoft by now. Instead he's gonna spend the summer dropping retardant on forest fires.

What do you want? The trick to keeping up with the Joneses is picking the right Joneses. I determined long ago that I effectively have no peers. It was liberating AF. I still fall into a rut sometimes but I've been able to push the world in the right direction enough that I mostly get to do what I want. It helps that "what I want" no longer includes "write big-budget sci fi movies" or "play Glastonbury." And when buddies of mine get written up in Variety it still causes that twinge... but their lives suck. Mine doesn't.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  10 days ago  ·  link  ·

I determined long ago that I effectively have no peers.

How did you figure?

There are no other former mechanical engineers with two screenplay options who are using their money mixing for Hollywood to launch a luxury brand which they have the luxury to do because they have a successful half million dollar medical practice.

Yeah there are other guys my age. yeah there are other guys doing some of the things I do.

I had a conversation with a nice girl named Molly. Molly was a sound mixer. She was busy getting her prerequisites out of the way so she could become a nurse. We were talking about what we were doing after the show wrapped. I mentioned I had a movie that needed mixing, but I also had a couple screenplay drafts I needed to get out of the way and I was also rewriting a novel for my agent.

She looked at me for a minute and said "you know... for the rest of us... this is kinda it, right?"

zebra2  ·  12 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: California's largest lake is dying, leaving toxic dust behind

I remember the sulfur wafting into Riverside county in 2012. I’ve also been by its shore once or twice recently. Mad Max-esque is exactly how I imagined describing it before I hit that exact descriptor in the article itself.

Also relevant:

zebra2  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: June 6, 2018

Early pubski, nice. How’s everyone’s reading for #scificlub coming? Should I post the discussion thread today?

zebra2  ·  25 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 30, 2018

I’ve got a poster presentation at a conference Monday. I’m not ready for it. I don’t have any of the data I wanted to have for it and I need to scrounge something up to fill a board.

It also didn’t register that the sci-fi club thread is going to come up in the middle of this conference, so I’m gonna have to set myself a reminder.

I also got glasses for the first time in my life a couple weeks back. They will be essential for reading anything during the PowerPoint presentations. Of course, I got them before I found out you can get cheap prescription glasses on the internet for like $20, so I spent $280 on mine.

I see these gig apps come up and I keep thinking I may want to get in on it.

You hear "time is money" a lot but my time is not money. I make a fixed salary whether I work 40 hours or 60, and I haven't yet found a way to actually convert my free time into any sort of profitable endeavor. God knows my music projects don't make net income.

Normally I'd be fine with that, but every so often there's a month like this one where a) I buy my first pair of prescription glasses b) I buy two new tires because one went flat on the freeway c) need to smog and pay registration on my car d) I'm supposed to be saving up for a Japan trip, where the ticket purchase should come next month.

So yeah, right now driving around collecting scooters sounds pretty freakin' nice.

zebra2  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: May 23, 2018

These are fun.

zebra2  ·  32 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: 279th Weekly "Share Some Music You've Been Into Lately" Thread

This whole album. I haven't explored all of Porcupine Tree's discography, but this (final) album is by far my favorite. The flow is amazing and the mood resonates with me so much.