We share good ideas and conversation here.   Login, Join Us, or Take a Tour!
zebra2's comments
zebra2  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Super looking forward to it. How will you distribute?

flac  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

Meeee too.

Bandcamp (going to charge $5 for the download), and free on Soundcloud and youtube. If I make over $300 in sales, I'm going to have it printed to cassette and sell those via bandcamp/at shows.

zebra2  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-fi club special issue: Kung Fury

Interestingly enough this is the 1 year anniversary of the last production diary entry, they were talking about creating a feature length sequel, but we've gotten no updates. I wonder if it's still going to happen.

This is awesome, I had no idea.

zebra2  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Bread

Cool stuff. What does fresh whole wheat taste like? I also have some bread experiments planned. I saw coffee flour, of all things, at Trader Joe's, so I'm gonna see what that does in a loaf.

keifermiller  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·

The best I can come up with to describe it is: it's bitter in the way that toast is bitter, kinda earthy, but bitter not in an overpowering way.

It was a moment of "Oh, so that's why people were willing to eat bread before the advent of white flours."

zebra2  ·  1 day ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 26, 2017

Lots of car stuff this week in pubski. I also have car stuff.

I had gotten new ignition coils for my car, after getting quoted $700 to have the work done at a mechanic and realizing that the parts themselves are less than $300 and the labor is like assembling legos.

So I've had the coils for about a week prior (and I needed them BAD at this point as the stutter and misfiring was getting pretty common), but the simple process of putting them in was stymied by an unsuspected obstacle. The screws for the cover to access the coils were totally seized in place. Nothing would make any (bar one) budge. The screw tops were starting to strip before the screw would move, and I warped two torx bits! I even took it to a mechanic to see if they'd get the screws out, but they didn't know what they could do and recommended a bolt specialist.

Finally after seemingly exhausting all other options I took a drill to them to drill off the heads so I could remove the plate and do the repair. I would at least have one screw to put it back on with.

Turns out that drilling through the screw head loosens up the screw, and I was able to remove all but one without having a shaft stuck in the hole. Still only have one screw holding the plate back on though.

After the swap it runs like a dream. Now I only have to deal with:

Anti-personnel Takata airbags

Oil leak

Burnt out marker lights

Occasional random electronics systems failures

zebra2  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 12, 2017

No updates on this story:

I've gone back a couple times to knock on the door. No answer. Sometimes I can hear someone sneaking around inside. But apparently there's no adults around.

Also my car needs some TLC after my weekend trip last week. It's neeeded ignition coils for a while and now it REALLY needs them. It's also started dripping oil from the oil cooler unit. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. The mechanic recommended replacing the whole part.

flagamuffin  ·  15 days ago  ·  link  ·

never never land in there

zebra2  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What are y'all playing this weekend?

So I just started with XCOM2 this weekend. I'm not having the same experience with you where the statistics seem baked, but damn the macro game is more cutthroat now. The last game had the problem that you would often be waiting around with nothing to do in the command screen, but if anything this one has the problem of too much shit happening at once that it's hard to advance on any one thing. Meanwhile the death counter keeps going up at an alarming rate and all the objectives to counter it are in areas I can't access. It seems like I'm bound for a reset because I didn't understand certain macro-game mechanics as well as I needed to and now I'm screwed. It plays a lot like the last game, but with an extra dose of frustration.

zebra2  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: I just had a surreal Dennis The Menace-esque experience

It was pretty disorienting. I should've locked the doors when I saw him trying to get in, but that's like, not what you expect to need in that situation. I was fumbling all over what to do with my car/driving/locking/parking it while trying to get rid of this kid/get my clicker back.

blackbootz  ·  18 days ago  ·  link  ·

Yea, it was entertaining to me but probably quite alarming to you. I'm glad it ended somewhat inconsequentially.

Ten year olds are crazy man. I have a cousin about that age. He's nuts. Totally pushing boundaries and finding out what he can get away with, all the time.

zebra2  ·  19 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Grubski challenge: Butts

Very nice. I like that you did your butt-related research. The final product looks good too. Could have medicinal uses?

zebra2  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Facebook ads

I'm really interested in fb advertising. The targeted-ness of it is appealing, but there's a bunch of things about the process I don't know about since I've never set one up myself. Do they need to be geographically based ("within x-miles of your business") or can I target worldwide based on whatever select criteria? Also how specific can I really get with the criteria? I'm also curious to see what people's success with it is.

As with most things it's pay-per-impression. If you're targeting across a wide geographic area, you can limit who it targets much more and still get a big number. Costs go up rapidly, though - I remember my wife ran a FB ad in Los Angeles where a 5-mile radius was gonna be a few hundred but a 10-mile radius was like $6k.

Just looking now, Facebook will let me put together a "campaign" where I basically get distance, gender and age. That's it. But if I want to "advertise my website" it gives me interests... and if I say "crypto" it allows

- Key (cryptography)

- Cryptography

- Cryptocurrency

- RSA (Cryptosystem)

- Bouncy Castle (Cryptography)

- Cryptographic hash function

- Almas (cryptozoology)

- Cryptozoology (tv genre)

Now - I reckon you could target an ad to Bouncy Castle crypto pretty much worldwide and not pay a lot. Target an ad to cryptocurrency? A little more. Target an ad to "fans of Cracked?" Best have deep pockets.

snoodog  ·  21 days ago  ·  link  ·

It sounds like if you target worldwide you are likely to get mostly bots and like farmers. If you might try buying some honeypot ads for small amounts of money and see how much garbage you end up per dollar.

Old but good video on FB likes
zebra2  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: An idea from my past that was passed on -- Still a brilliant idea IMO.

I like it. I also love that you tried to pitch it with a Stalin quote.

zebra2  ·  22 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Pubski: April 5, 2017

I've had a great weekend. The lady and I have been meaning to camp or vacation for months now but we never make the time (she works night shifts, every other weekend) so mid week I just said fuck it, let's just go to the desert this weekend and try to catch the end of the superbloom.

Anza Borrego park. We got a nice primitive camping site in the mountains at the edge of the desert and it was gorgeous. The superbloom was eh. I guess it's pretty flowery? Anyways I also got a grill for the first time so that we could have a fire at the camp. Now we also have a grill at the house and I made some excellent spare ribs with it.

Leaving, we also passed by the Salton Sea, and holy crap, the road between the park and there is something like in Mad Max.

zebra2  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: What is respect?

I'd agree it's a pretty broad and hard to define topic. When it comes to maturity and respecting people though, I think there is at least one aspect that is important to recognize. Everyone is a complex person with deep thoughts, their own motivations, and they are perceptive of all sorts of things that they will not outwardly ever show. There are times when it is very tempting to label someone as "clueless" or "stupid" or just not the complex and intelligent person they actually are.

There was a much younger version of me who had sort of drifted away from a friend. We were never great friends or anything, and I thought this person was a bit aloof and clueless about me, and I felt like a bit of an outsider on their particular circle, so I seriously thought they would have no idea I was even drifting. Much later I found out that that person had perceived everything going through my head, and it made me really re-evaluate the way I looked at people.

ThatFanficGuy  ·  23 days ago  ·  link  ·

So, respect is, at least in part, keeping in mind that people are as capable of intelligent thought process as you are? That would mean that whenever people decide on something that you might find silly, ignorant or even dangerous, they do, in fact, have a certain base for that kind of thinking - and maybe, your perception of the decision is not entirely correct.

zebra2  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·    ·  parent  ·  post: Sci-Fi club no. 32: Material Selection

I don't know what this is but now I'm interested. Still time? Is it going away soon?

flagamuffin  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

no i was trying to instill a false sense of urgency like FLASH SALE FIFTY PERCENT OFF UNTIL 12 AM PACIFIC

and then i'm like, trying to remember what time zone i'm in and how that works and the clock is ticking and i'm missing out on those 18.99 slim 501s from banana republic and i'm also remembering all the disappointments of my childhood at the exact same time and eventually i just pass out, the clock ticks midnight, but it's midnight central so it didn't even matter

but my unconscious form doesn't know that

the point is, you have all the time in the world. isn't that relaxing?

So I've finished season 1 of The Expanse (the limit of what I can get without paying more) and overall I've enjoyed it. I can see some places where it falls kinda flat and feels a bit like lazy writing, the main characters seem to have trope-worthy plot armor, and at various times it seems a little too convenient that the characters behave the way they do. I keep wondering if that's the source material, or if the TV adaptation is doctoring it that way. A certain element of it seems fairly cliche, too, considering that the rest of the world seems fairly well though-out and has a decent dose of realism.

johnnyFive  ·  24 days ago  ·  link  ·

I can say that's at least somewhat the source material. The books are pulpy and light, and not really going for high drama.

Hey, I was in a job a few months ago where I felt the same way. I felt like I had no connection to the work environment or my immediate coworkers. The work culture, if it could be called that, could probably be best described as actively instilling a sense of skepticism and distrust about all the other employees and their competence, as well as the rigor and integrity of my position.

On top of that I felt like I had a lot of education and achievements that were not at all applicable to that job, and as a new employee I had no good direction and training was formulated in a less-than-competent way. I didn't know why I was there and I knew I was doing badly. It was a huge hit in my professional self confidence.

Since then I've quit and started a new job that is amazing and fulfilling. I basically just handed ina resignation before I had anything concrete lined up because I couldn't take the psychological damage anymore. I had shied away from the kind of position I'm in now because it's a bit less money and I had thought I wouldn't be happy continuing with a research position, but it turns out I was wrong about that.

I don't know how to direct you to that new spot, but there's hope. Try not to let your current environment drag you down too much and turn you into a pessimist.